Pelicans Report

Thread: Jamal vs Buddy

What do you guys think about this article?

good article and should make people think before freaking out about guys...

Except the part where they say Murray hs gotten more diverse opportunities because Denver isn't trying to make the playoffs. Thats false. Murray has always been a combo guard that's played a lot of point guard before the NBA.

Heild has always made his mark as a 2 guard period.

it was probably the first article where someone at least questioned that maybe Pels had chosen right

earlier Nate Duncan on his pod with Danny Leroux (they bashed Pels earlier for not selecting Jamal) at least gave Pels some credit, but noticed that he will still choose Murray

well written article with no clear answer.

like it should be

Idk.

I read the article twice and it sort of comes off like the author had a narrative he wanted to sell from the outset. One of mutual struggle and journey. While Hield has many aspects of his game that need improvement, and there is no guarantee he will ever achieve it, the article contextualizes Hields season poorly imo. His story should be one of consistent upward trajectory. Which is what has happened. But reading the article you get the impression it is this back and forth, up and down thing with Hield and that's not really the case. He started out poorly and has only improved. So this framing of his rookie season as an up and down roller coaster doesn't make sense. It does for Murray, but not really Hield.

Plus the framing of their physical measurables was a bit of a lie by omission. Yes they are both 6"4, but Hield has a position average reach and wingspan while Murray is undersized as a two guard. And furthermore, Murray is a combo guard that can hopefully be a 1 if he reaches his ceiling, Hield is a 2 guard you hope can be a bit of a combo guard. Their paths are a bit of a deviation.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-17-2017 at 04:06 AM.

Agree

But at least O'Connor wrote something in defense of Pelicans choice...

At least some kind of

murray was still the better choice everything considered. I like Hield but it signaled we were rushing
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    murray was still the better choice everything considered. I like Hield but it signaled we were rushing
    Maybe that was the organization's logic but I still don't see it that way.

Murray has a long, long way to go to be the point guard Denver sees his highest ceiling as. Frankly I don't think he will ever get there and as a full time 2 guard I don't think his ceiling is as high as Hields at the 2.

Honestly, Murray would be great for a team like the Sixers IMO. Or any any other team that has an alternative facilitator then a PG but Murray could match up against the lesser guard. A place where his long-term role isn't asking him to run the offense and he has defenders around him. That's also why I don't think he is an ideal fit for the Pelicans.

I was ok with drafting Murray but I thought Buddy was the better choice then and still do now.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Buddy is a better defender and I think he will prove he is better than Jamal. I consider them both future star players tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information