Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gentry's system works

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Gentry's system works

The defense is awesome!!! The offense, outside shooting in particular, looks very polished. We are not golden state but we are starting to look very smooth and every man can score and we are very fast on both ends. If we cut turnovers and somehow improve in the post I think we will be a good team. I would like to see players get to the line more. I know y'all disagree but I think Millsap would improve this team to a 4th seed. He's a special player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what team have u been watching this is not the warriors

Wrong forum, I think

.......still in GS.

It's our players they're not quality NBA starters other than AD it doesn't matter what system your running your gonna have the same result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're not running Genty's system. At least not the one he wanted to run.

We've gone back to Monty ball. Trying to make AD's 30pts a game stretch further by limiting the other team to 100pts instead of 110pts.

Play basic P&R and put shooters in the corners.

I don't know if AD can play Gentry's system

If we do miss out on a good PG in the draft and decide not to re-sign Holiday, Jeff Teague is a FA that could get some consideration. He's 28, so still some good years left, and he can drive, shoot, dish and run the offense well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    If we do miss out on a good PG in the draft and decide not to re-sign Holiday, Jeff Teague is a FA that could get some consideration. He's 28, so still some good years left, and he can drive, shoot, dish and run the offense well.
    I was really high on Teague back in Atlanta and if he's available and Jrue walks then I'd say yes.

Is it me or does AD looks so disinterested in his interviews?

I know they lost, but he doesn't show any emotion.
    Lool mad, say something negative about his inept team mates FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Is it me or does AD looks so disinterested in his interviews?

I know they lost, but he doesn't show any emotion.
    Lool mad, say something negative about his inept team mates FFS.
    That's the exact opposite of what you should do in front of reporters.

Yeah his system works, it won a championship. The problem is these players are somehow incapable of running it for 48 minutes a game; heck, sometimes not even for 24 minutes. Or they can't consistently hit their shots game after game. I never seen a team miss so many open shots collectively.

Your uncle Alvin doesn't coach GS anymore op... He's coaching Pelicans now, a team in New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    Yeah his system works, it won a championship. The problem is these players are somehow incapable of running it for 48 minutes a game; heck, sometimes not even for 24 minutes. Or they can't consistently hit their shots game after game. I never seen a team miss so many open shots collectively.
    Bingo. We just don't have the shooters. Gentry's system is designed to get open shots... we get those. The numbers (advanced stats) say we're somewhere near the top in "open shots" but we're somewhere near the bottom in hitting them. I've been saying this for a while now. you can get rid of Gentry, but that won't make our guys magically start to hit shots. No matter what "system" you run you're gonna need a few players that can hit consistent jumpers or else you'll be Memphis. But without Z-Bo, Conley and Gasol.

Quote Originally Posted by Impose View Post
    We're not running Genty's system. At least not the one he wanted to run.

We've gone back to Monty ball. Trying to make AD's 30pts a game stretch further by limiting the other team to 100pts instead of 110pts.

Play basic P&R and put shooters in the corners.

Yeah this just isn't true. In the 8 games since going super small we are 8th in the league in pace, above the team's season average prior. We are playing FASTER than before, and the 100.27 Pace we are at would rank 2nd in the league just barely behind GS the year Gentry was there and they won the chip. In these last 8 games, at this fast pace, we are 28th in OFF RTG. Monty Ball had a 93.7 Pace, 27th in the league (oh and the 9th rated offense that year). Plus we are chucking 3 pointers and jump shots more than Monty Ball.

THIS IS 100% GENTRY'S SYSTEM. Do not let him off the hook with failing eye tests. He is just misusing personnel even worse than he did before this change, which is impressive. Our front court players are TO A MAN having among their least efficient, worst offensive years in their careers (Solo and Dante in particular). AD's insane usage % (5% higher than Monty ball) makes for pretty raw numbers but has a disastrous effect on overall team performance. In 14-15 AD led the league in PER and had a much higher TS% and Win Shares. He was among the top 3 most efficient offensive weapons in the league. Now he's Kevin Love in Minny, an over relied upon and misused star on a mediocre team.

Charts and graphs tho. Fire this clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden Park View Post
    Yeah this just isn't true. In the 8 games since going super small we are 8th in the league in pace, above the team's season average prior. We are playing FASTER than before, and the 100.27 Pace we are at would rank 2nd in the league just barely behind GS the year Gentry was there and they won the chip. In these last 8 games, at this fast pace, we are 28th in OFF RTG. Monty Ball had a 93.7 Pace, 27th in the league (oh and the 9th rated offense that year). Plus we are chucking 3 pointers and jump shots more than Monty Ball.

THIS IS 100% GENTRY'S SYSTEM. Do not let him off the hook with failing eye tests. He is just misusing personnel even worse than he did before this change, which is impressive. Our front court players are TO A MAN having among their least efficient, worst offensive years in their careers (Solo and Dante in particular). AD's insane usage % (5% higher than Monty ball) makes for pretty raw numbers but has a disastrous effect on overall team performance. In 14-15 AD led the league in PER and had a much higher TS% and Win Shares. He was among the top 3 most efficient offensive weapons in the league. Now he's Kevin Love in Minny, an over relied upon and misused star on a mediocre team.

Charts and graphs tho. Fire this clown.
    What about Dell Demps?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    What about Dell Demps?
    * Looks at thread title and subject *

What about him?

This is an Alvin Gentry system thread. You want to complain about Dell feel free to go ahead and create yet another uninspired, echo chamber thread for it. I'll be in here on topic.

What about him?

This is an Alvin Gentry system thread. You want to complain about Dell feel free to go ahead and create yet another uninspired, echo chamber thread for it. I'll be in here on topic.
    Who hired Alvin Gentry? Got to start higher

What about him?

Darren Erman has at least brought the D from dead last to top 10

When you don't have good shooters... You usually slow down the pace to hide that weakness and not give the other team more possession to out shoot our terrible shooters... Not rocket science. Monty knew that.

Also, Like when you're getting eaten up on the glass... It's usually a good idea to use your 7 footers, but we wasted $15 million on two bigs that are terrible. So, we have to deal with getting out rebounded... When we was a good rebounding team in Monty Ball.

Wonder if Tyreke gets to start soon moving Holiday to the 6th man role. As bad as the offense has been, it might be time to make that call. Also could light a fire under Holiday and let him get his scoring groove back.

We have guys who have been awesome shooters. We are getting them open looks at an above league average rate. They aren't hitting them.

This team looks really good on paper.
    Probably what Gentry and Demps think also.

Thread Information