Pelicans Report

Thread: Jrue the 7th bezt defensive PG in the league

Banned

Jrue the 7th bezt defensive PG in the league

6. Kyle Lowry, 4.14
    Lowry’s hot shooting is one thing but his defense sets him apart from Eastern Conference peers. Lowry is broad and can body bigger guards while using unheralded quickness to stay in front of smaller ones.

7. Jrue Holiday, 3.775
    Holiday was a surprise this high but here he sits. Holiday is rarely mentioned with the NBA’s best but his positive DRPM and his +7.6 DRTG differential speak highly of him.

8. Tyler Johnson, 3.67
    Johnson is quickly growing a reputation as a defensive stalwart. He fights for his minutes and his reputation is hard earned especially in the shadow of defensive sensation Justise Winslow.

9. Matthew Dellavedova, 3.38
    New uni, same Delly. The Bucks nabbed themselves a championship-tested competitor to play next to superstar Giannis Antetokounmpo. Dellavedova can sometimes be overly aggressive defensively, but his effort level is amongst the elite.
    http://hoop.nba.com/nba_hoop_feature...sive-pointers/

curious where he is in the offense?

35th among PG's?

like him a lot, but this year he is not playing weell. especially in attack
    I mean he is playin' fine but expected more in the contract year

25th ORPM, 5th DRPM

I think Jrue specifically focuses on defense more too. He's always loved defending and I think he spends his energy there. Not as much energy for offense. It's usually pretty hard for a player to rank at the top of offense and defense and if they do - they're a superstar.

Jrue is ranked 7th for assist % in the entire league so, even though his shot isn't falling, he's facilitating for others.

Beyond just Jrue, our whole first unit is killing it defensively since AD moved to C. (i'd still like DMO to slide into the first unit for either DC or Solo though)

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post

Beyond just Jrue, our whole first unit is killing it defensively since AD moved to C. (i'd still like DMO to slide into the first unit for either DC or Solo though)
    Holy ******** is that a positive post by Fisher well damn lol

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billfromfinance View Post
    25th ORPM, 5th DRPM
    So, averages out about an average level starting point.

Where would Jrue rank amongst shooting guards, however? If you put him exactly average at point, and included all guards, how far would he fall? With Harden moved to permanent point-beard, there are so few amazing off guards. Derozan, Thompson, Avery Bradley are the only ones that immediately come to mind. Butlers more of a wing now, but that's kind of semantics.

The point I'm ranting towards, I suppose, is that point guard is the most gluttonus position with elite talent, and Holiday being average doesn't mean he's a below average NBA player or even guard. He's a useful tool.
    Last edited by Mr. West; 01-12-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    @DanielVeuleman

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post

Where would Jrue rank amongst shooting guards, however? If you put him exactly average at point, and included all guards, how far would he fall? With Harden moved to permanent point-beard, there are so few amazing off guards. Derozan, Thompson, Avery Bradley are the only ones that immediately come to mind. Butlers more of a wing now, but that's kind of semantics.

The point I'm ranting towards, I suppose, is that point guard is the most gluttonus position with elite talent, and Holiday being average doesn't mean he's a below average NBA player or even guard. He's a useful tool.
    Agree with this. He's good not great, which is all we'd need if we get another star somehow. I'm kind of hoping that his contract demands are in line with an average PG instead of an above average guard, which would hopefully bring his price down and get us to a point where re-signing him wouldn't be a massive burden.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post

While I agree that he might be above average player overall, truth is offense is more important for PG than defense, you can't say the same about any other position. It gives more impact to the team, because offensively team is run by a point guard.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth View Post
    While I agree that he might be above average player overall, truth is offense is more important for PG than defense, you can't say the same about any other position. It gives more impact to the team, because offensively team is run by a point guard.
    This is absolutely a fair point. However, I think if you can surround Holiday with another above average wing scorer (fingers crossed for Buddy!), Davis, and shooting that he can be an important cog to a successful team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkreth View Post
    You don't have to score points to facilitate on offense. Like I said Jrue is ranked 7th in Assist % out of everyone (not just PGs) so he's still getting the ball to players in a position for them to score.

Hopefully his shot comes around. Then he would rank as one of the top PGs in the league.

Also, Jrue doesnt only guard PGs all game. There are many times he is guarding the best guard on the opposing team, and sometimes he even ends up on SFs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    You don't have to score points to facilitate on offense. Like I said Jrue is ranked 7th in Assist % out of everyone (not just PGs) so he's still getting the ball to players in a position for them to score.

Hopefully his shot comes around. Then he would rank as one of the top PGs in the league.
    Yes but if so why is ORPM is so low in comparisons of other point guard ? There's a lot of other guard that have low scoring numbers but still higher ORPM.

I really like Jrue but these stats are pretty much telling he's an barely above average starting point guard in this league. Is it bad considering the state of this position ? Hell no but it still means that on almost half of the nights his direct opponent is better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    Yes but if so why is ORPM is so low in comparisons of other point guard ? There's a lot of other guard that have low scoring numbers but still higher ORPM.

I really like Jrue but these stats are pretty much telling he's an barely above average starting point guard in this league. Is it bad considering the state of this position ? Hell no but it still means that on almost half of the nights his direct opponent is better than him.
    On offense.

On defense very few are better.

Jrue having sort of a down year combined with us giving him that time off the season. Could help us sign him to a long term deal.

Is Jrue the ideal pg for this team currently? No, because he's being asked to be something he's not, a second option.

Is Jrue the ideal PG for this team going forward? Yes, because I expect Buddy to take over as 2nd scoring option and to be a lot more on ball going forward.

expect biding war for him - because of the lack of PG in the market (apart from draft)

see NYK for the example

good that we have his bird rights
    still don't know how much I am able to pay him

expect more, but I would like not to pay more than 4 year 90 millions for him

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    This trade deadline will be...interesting to say the least.

It's ONE stat, and it's RPM, which is known to be noisy and somewhat unreliable as an in season indicator, RPM tells you more over the long term (multiple seasons) and less over the short term. Let's not make sweeping conclusions with it.

Pels are a bottom 3 team in offense, the entire team has not great ORPMs. As much as RPM tries to isolate itself from team success, how the team performs overall still has a factor. Also Jrue has been slowly trending upwards in RPM this season. Heavily regressed stats are resistance to change - AD has been (and rightfully so) getting a lot of the credit.

Jrue needs to step up his offense

1-6

Yea certainly would like him to be more consistent on offense. But one thing that's often overlooked about him in this new 'switch-everything' defensive scheme they run, is that so often when he winds up switched on a bigger PF/SF, he's so strong and savvy that he's able to hold his own very well in the post, usually winds up causing the player to miss the shot. Just about every other starting PG in the league would be a major liability with switching on bigs like that.

Banned
    He's amazing to watch on defense, works harder than just about any player in the league

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    The crazy thing is how often size mismatches go in our favor whenever teams force those switches onto Jrue.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The crazy thing is how often size mismatches go in our favor whenever teams force those switches onto Jrue.
    And E'Twaun. I don't lose ANY sleep whenever those two switch onto a F/C. They can body up, pull the chair, get a steal, or even come up with a block. It's uncanny and allows for some sick defensive versatility.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I've been watching our defense very closely for the past couple of weeks and every game outside of the Celtics I've come away absolutely impressed with how good we look on it.

I hated on Erman a lot at the start of the season because of how bad we were but I have to. Give him credit, since the move to center by AD we have looked outstanding.

Thread Information