Pelicans Report

Thread: Ajinca talks about his role

All-Star

Ajinca talks about his role

He got an interview in a French newspaper (I don't know if I have to put the link but I will even though it is all in French http://m.lequipe.fr/Basket/Actualite...saturer/767301)
    Im not gonna translate it all but he basically expresses a lot of frustration and mention some "other teams looking".
    He starts saying to the journalist "We can do the itw before the game as it won't disturb me for the following (of the evening)"... pretty fatalistic
    About his role "It is frustrating because I want to play, I came back healthy and worked hard st the beginning of the season and one day to another I'm stuck in the bench, first they say for matchup purposes and then I've been forgotten."
    Then talking about him and Asik "we remain professional but it starts to become saturating, we keep on doing the job in practice and we'll see what happens next. I have to be ready, if it's not for this team, for another one. The solution would be a trade, or if the team proposes a buyout, we will see what they ask but most likely a trade I am motivating myself because there are other team looking. [...] There are one of two things we talked about with my agent, we are in contact a lot lately"

Sooooo, he wants out, other teams are looking, he might not be against a buyout...

Thoughts on that?

I mean. I totally understand his position. He wants to play ball, either here or somewhere else.

I'm actually a little higher on Ajinca than most. Yeah, his defense is suspect, but he has a lot of tools. With regular playing time I could see him becoming a pretty good role player for a team. I know most don't share that assessment but I think he's got talent.

Off our two dormant centers, AA fits better than Asik, and I have respect for what Asik brings to the table. He's just not suited for this team. He also could be a good role player for another squad. The problem there is his contract.

All-Star

Ajinca talks about his role

Actually I do share the opinion that he is a good role player but he needs a whole system around especially in defense.
    A team in needs of points inside off the bench could look for him, like the Wizards or the Jazz.

But right now, as for Asik, the question is : is there any team that would sign him as a FA for this contract. We can always got a fake 2nd rounder in return, but I'm afraid we will need to give up assets to move him

Hope they trade him soon he a waste on the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good news.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Maybe he should go back to Europe

Maybe he should accept a 30 dollar buyout
    I'm a grinder

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Good. With D-Mo, we no longer need a skilled big. That position is admirably filled.

The Franchise
    I figured he's gonna be a filler to make money work on a trade.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Trade him somewhere that posts up their bigs, get cap relief or minor assets in return.

Everyone wins.
    @DanielVeuleman

It's like Ajinca thinks he's a good player. Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    I'm actually a little higher on Ajinca than most. Yeah, his defense is suspect, but he has a lot of tools. With regular playing time I could see him becoming a pretty good role player for a team. I know most don't share that assessment but I think he's got talent.
    You and me both. I think he's the best offensive low post big on the team. That's where he's at his best. His rebounding is underrated. We've all seen what he can do with consistent minutes, and it's a shame he's been riding the bench. But I do understand his DNPs. Alvin's system isn't suited for a low post big with suspect (at times) defense. He fit Monty's system perfectly. I'll miss Ajinca when he's gone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonPelicans View Post
    It's like Ajinca thinks he's a good player. Incredible.
    I no rite

Every now and again he does some nice things offensively. But 90% of the time he's a humongous net negative out there.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I'm not an Ajinca hater, but I do think he is severely limited. He's 7'2, but can't defend. He can barely rebound. And he fouls like there's no tomorrow. What can he do? He can occasionally hit a mid range jumper. He's not useless, but he's not worth any team... ANY team... paying much more than we're paying him now. Until he learns to at least rebound and not foul 5 times within 8 minutes... no team in the NBA will want him.

Ajinca and low post in the same sentence? Wut? Lol. Nah man. Ajinca is a jump shooting big like AD. That's part of the issue, he's like a bigger, slower, more foul prone, worse shooting version of AD. If he had a low post game Gentry might have found a way to use him.

We only have one big that has a low post (or any post game really for that matter) and that's DMo.

That said, I like Ajinca. Wish it'd have worked out but clearly Gentry doesn't like the fit.

What role?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    What role?
    Bench warmer? Warm up model?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    What role?
    Donkey Roll

Ajinca needs to play in a slow system ala Jazz, though they're pretty set with bigs. He gets destroyed as soon as they need to move up and down the court, his suspect defence gets exposed in a GS type system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

I can't see us getting more than a protected 2nd for him. The best scenario would be as salary filler in a trade.

Man if we could get rid of Asik and Ajinca....i'd consider this season a success even if we don't make the playoffs.
    We would have so much cap space.

Too bad even with all that cap space we would only probably only use it on Holiday, Jones and D-Mo.

Anyone think Ajinca and Pel's second rounder (not Philly's) for Sullinger would work?
    Ajinca always has big games against Toronto and Sullinger hasn't played this year and is still injured.

Also still pining for Aldrich for Asik.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 01-13-2017 at 02:39 AM.

All-Star
    I think we have to consider Ajinca and Asik as if they were free agents now for the other team, but with already a contract.
    Would any team sign any of those two for their remaining deal if they were free agent?
    Because if a team wants to sign Ajinca for 5million per year for the next 3 seasons, they can get him for a fake 2nd rounder protected 30-55.
    I don't think that can happen, I think a buy out is the best issue for both of them, but are their contract gonna still be in the salary cap if they can negociate a buy out?

Thread Information