Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Realistically, where do the Pels stand?

Pelicans Realistically, where do the Pels stand?

Due to work I can only catch a game here and there. I know it's been a rough start with injuries and all, but as we sit today, we're only 1 game out of the last playoff spot and DMo is just getting his feet wet here and now we're probably as healthy as we've been in a long time.

For those who have watched more than I... do you think we have what it takes to overcome the slow start and, not just make the playoffs, but maybe get a higher seed than just the 8?

Thanks.
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by rt0307 View Post
    Due to work I can only catch a game here and there. I know it's been a rough start with injuries and all, but as we sit today, we're only 1 game out of the last playoff spot and DMo is just getting his feet wet here and now we're probably as healthy as we've been in a long time.

For those who have watched more than I... do you think we have what it takes to overcome the slow start and, not just make the playoffs, but maybe get a higher seed than just the 8?

Thanks.
    It is surprising how the East and West are stacked up. Everyone by default says the West is stronger, yet the 8th seed in the East is at .500, the reigning NBA champ is in the East, and the top teams in the west have more wins than the East, but the majority of those wins are over Western Conference teams.

That said, where do the Pels stand? Well, the 8th seed in the West has a losing record (16-23). We stand a game back. The #6 and #7 seed are standing at (23-16). I am not sure we can get higher than 7th, but that would still require a lot of things to brake in our favor. Who knows, maybe we do get the 7th seed and we get to play the Rockets or something, and maybe we can win a playoff game.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    It is surprising how the East and West are stacked up. Everyone by default says the West is stronger, yet the 8th seed in the East is at .500, the reigning NBA champ is in the East, and the top teams in the west have more wins than the East, but the majority of those wins are over Western Conference teams.

That said, where do the Pels stand? Well, the 8th seed in the West has a losing record (16-23). We stand a game back. The #6 and #7 seed are standing at (23-16). I am not sure we can get higher than 7th, but that would still require a lot of things to brake in our favor. Who knows, maybe we do get the 7th seed and we get to play the Rockets or something, and maybe we can win a playoff game.
    I would say if we made playoffs odds are very good we play either Spurs or Warriors in 1st round and it ends much like the last time we were in the playoffs. If you want to have a yacht party in Miami for making the playoffs it is fine with me but at least win a game.

This is a .500 team. Which is what we all thought coming into the season. If healthy all year we would be firmly in that 8th slot. With D-mo getting acclimated I am pretty sure we can take the 8th seed. If everyone stays healthy down the stretch AND they figure out how to get some offensive consistency, we might be able to reach the 6th or 7th seed. I'm not convinced the shooting will become more consistent though. The defense has been refreshing so hopefully it's just taking the O a bit longer to click regularly.

We must stop having 3 and 4 game losing streaks and we must find a way to beat good teams to do that. If we can get another 2 or 3 wins on this road trip that is showing progress because so far we have sucked on the road.

Pretty much playing at a .500 clip since Jrue returned. 0-8 start burried us but even if you win 3-4 of those you're still pretty much the 8 seed

Our offensive rank in dead last in NBA. Need improvement! Erman's defense finally taking shape. 9th in NBA.

Honestly I don't think we are that far away from a serious push in the playoffs .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now it feels like the Pels, like a lot of average NBA squads, are basically a make or miss team. If we are hitting outside shots to compliment Davis, we are pretty good, certainly good enough to make the eighth seed in the West. When we are cold from outside, we look bad, no flow, start resorting to hero ball and the opposing team collapses on AD.

The issue is we don't consistently run an offense that generates open looks in the half court sets. Sometimes we do. Last night against the Celtics, the ball movement was pretty good all game (we were also hitting shots), but a lot of times we are still lolly gagging the ball up the floor (looking at you Tyreke) and not even getting into our sets until half the shot clock is gone. We also benefit greatly when we play good defense and generate fast break chances. Our guys are pretty good runners and it helps a lot when we get fast break points. Our 3 point % has steadily climbed the last month or so and is now about league average. If we can get above 36% as a team (top ten), it bodes well for our chances. Both Buddy and Dante are stroking it nicely in the starting line up (if Dante really can stay a 40% 3-point shooter, then he's can be the legit "3-and-D SF" that we've needed).

To me the biggest X factors (other than our truly mystifying lack of offensive rebounding) are how Jrue and Tyreke run the offense with the ball in their hands. Both have a tendency to pound the rock, which is sand in the gears of Gentry's system. We knew that both were ball-dominant guards when we signed them--in fact that's a big reason we got them, because they could generate their own shot. But for the offensive efficiency to improve, they've got to make quicker decisions with the ball, let it out of their hands. Tyreke is especially bad about this. The most telling visual of the early Motiejunas experiment is D-Mo standing at the top of the key clapping his hands for Reke to give up the ball and initiate the offense. Tyreke looks like D-Mo is trying to steal his lunch money.
    Last edited by new city champ; 01-10-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Also if we made playoffs Gentry would have to be considered for coach of the year.

Hey, my 1st post on in Pels forums.
    I am excited to watch Davis and DMo. If I wouldn't believe in Pels as playoff team I wouldn't bother in making my account here

Quote Originally Posted by verysalt View Post
    I am excited to watch Davis and DMo. If I wouldn't believe in Pels as playoff team I wouldn't bother in making my account here
    Welcome to the family!

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Welcome to the family!
    As dysfunctional as it can be at times...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    But for the offensive efficiency to improve, they've got to make quicker decisions with the ball, let it out of their hands. Tyreke is especially bad about this. The most telling visual of the early Motiejunas experiment is D-Mo standing at the top of the key clapping his hands for Reke to give up the ball and initiate the offense. Tyreke looks like D-Mo is trying to steal his lunch money.
    This is it in a nutshell and also made me LOL!

D-mo knows how this offense should be run and you can see him directing other guys around on the floor. It's pretty telling for a guy that has been here about a week.

I had my doubts but I really like the recent small ball and the defense (it helps that frazier isnt getting any playing time). A player like DMO is a great fit. I like his passing game and I dont mean the flashy passes I saw on youtube but I really like how quickly he moves when he gets the ball to pass it further. Going back to the subject if healthy I think this team is better than .500 and a few pieces away from a really good team. Also they are fun to watch and it does count right?

I doubt we can really do better than the 8 seed thanks to our bad start. We would have needed to go 41-33 just to hit .500, and the 7 seed is on pace to have 48 wins. There's no way we were going to go 48-26 after our bad start, especially since now that means we'd need to go 33-10 the rest of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    I doubt we can really do better than the 8 seed thanks to our bad start. We would have needed to go 41-33 just to hit .500, and the 7 seed is on pace to have 48 wins. There's no way we were going to go 48-26 after our bad start, especially since now that means we'd need to go 33-10 the rest of the way.
    No way in hell
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    As dysfunctional as it can be at times...
    Thank you guys. Don't see anything extraordinary here
    Actually the most dysfunctional and suffering from bipolar disorder forums you would find @Toronto Raptors.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by verysalt View Post
    Welcome. Hope you enjoy your time here. Some of us are insane though.

But we just try not to ******** me off too much.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Anyone would have to agree this Pelicans team is better than their record. Starting out the season without Jrue and Tyreke set the team back. With those guys healthy plus the trade for Motiejunas, I think the Pelicans are in contention for the playoffs. Now it just depends if the chemistry can come together.

Plus, Buddy Hield is playing better.

Pelicans will make the 8th seed. As long as AD keeps banging in the post instead of shooting 5 three's a game like I'm sure Gentry would love him to do. Buddy will end up shooting 45% from beyond the arc on the season. Tyreke has to go isolation play all day when he comes off the bench. New addition D-Mo has got to play like a dude trying to get paid in the offseason.

You do realize Gentry is the one who moved AD to the 5 full time right? Clearly he doesn't want AD taking five 3s a game.

We will overtake Portland for the 8th seed probably this weekend. I think how far we go up in the standing depends on what we can get for Tyreke Evans. He doesn't fit in Gentry's system and is a ball stopper (as has been said many times before in this forum).
    What are the options for Reke? Reke + Asik could we get Whiteside? Would Whiteside work with DMO and AD?
    Reke + Ajinca for Paul George?

Right now I believe we are an average team with a lot of potential, but if we could some how acquire a legit scoring sf we could takt the next step and become a good team

Quote Originally Posted by DOMINION View Post
    We will overtake Portland for the 8th seed probably this weekend. I think how far we go up in the standing depends on what we can get for Tyreke Evans. He doesn't fit in Gentry's system and is a ball stopper (as has been said many times before in this forum).
    What are the options for Reke? Reke + Asik could we get Whiteside? Would Whiteside work with DMO and AD?
    Reke + Ajinca for Paul George?
    You're not serious right?

Thread Information