Pelicans Report

Thread: Buddy Watch!!!!......numbers since December 1st

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar

Buddy Watch!!!!......numbers since December 1st

I just put this together for another board. Since December 1st, his per 36 numbers have been:

17.1 points, 43% FG, 50% 3PT% (on about 7 shots per 36) , 93% FT, 4.95 rebounds, 2.5 assists.

I know everyone knows how good he has been. But that's just remarkable. It's starting to become a question on whether or not he is getting enough shots. And he's not a guy shy about shooting.

Should we be running more of the offense through him?

Eventually, yes. This year is all about him getting adjusted to the pace of the NBA and playing a full season.

Next year I expect him to take a bigger roll.

I think we will see more things run for him as the year progresses and he shows he can carry the load and produce consistently. He is still earning trust from the coaches and he has been playing more at the end of games lately. If he continues to shoot 50% from three he will get a lot more chances going forward.

Plus, as good as he has been he still has not had a Buddy Buckets night. What I mean by that is what he did at Oklahoma and even in one quarter in summer league. He would have stretches where he would go lights out and knock down 3 or 4 threes in a row. He had 13 in a quarter in summer league or like when OK played LSU last year, he had 9 points in the first half and finished with 32. He made 7 or his last 8 threes, he was unconscious and it was when I realized the Pels should target him. I really thought we had no shot at him.

So, I'm patiently waiting for a Buckets game!
    Last edited by P_B_&_G; 01-11-2017 at 06:30 PM.

The biggest reason he hasn't had a buddy buckets type game is because he doesn't get enough minutes for it. I forget which game it was but it was during the last home stand, he had an insane 3rd qtr where he hit 3-4 3s was on fire, had something like 19 pts maybe even broke 20, and then didn't play again the rest of the game.

I mean I understand we are trying to win so we go with Galloway usually in the 4th but I expect Buddy to have games where he just goes off more often next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    The biggest reason he hasn't had a buddy buckets type game is because he doesn't get enough minutes for it. I forget which game it was but it was during the last home stand, he had an insane 3rd qtr where he hit 3-4 3s was on fire, had something like 19 pts maybe even broke 20, and then didn't play again the rest of the game.

I mean I understand we are trying to win so we go with Galloway usually in the 4th but I expect Buddy to have games where he just goes off more often next year.
    I remember that game, it made me nuts! But it was hard to argue with how Galloway has been playing in the 4th this year.

This offseason sign a decent SF and go after a stud PG in the draft and we're good.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    This offseason sign a decent SF and go after a stud PG in the draft and we're good.
    Which SF?

We'll finish too high to get one of the good PGs

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    Which SF?

I dont even know who's available. As for the draft pick, if we finish inthe lottery, which we will, u never know what could happen.

Or say we lucked out and got to draft josh jackson and cp3 came home? Championship!

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    I dont even know who's available. As for the draft pick, if we finish inthe lottery, which we will, u never know what could happen.

Or say we lucked out and got to draft josh jackson and cp3 came home? Championship!

BUT GO GET ONE OF THEM SFs!!!!

Haha ps - haaaaay HG long time

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

still struggles inside the arc and gets blocked a lot at the basket but he has good control nevertheless. It's not like Austin Rivers where you knew his layups were going hard off the glass and missing every time. He polishes his mid range game a little, it'll open the lane just enough to get past the longer guys

Which SF?

12 million says Solomon Hill... oh wait
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I remember that game, it made me nuts! But it was hard to argue with how Galloway has been playing in the 4th this year.
    I actually like the when him and buddy are in there together yeah the D may not be great but the offense my God man lol

Quote Originally Posted by AD23nEG10 View Post
    still struggles inside the arc and gets blocked a lot at the basket but he has good control nevertheless. It's not like Austin Rivers where you knew his layups were going hard off the glass and missing every time. He polishes his mid range game a little, it'll open the lane just enough to get past the longer guys
    Yeah that and he has to improve his handle and footwork. So he doesn't have to start his gather from so far away.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Buddy improves his handle and there's no reason he can't be a 16-20 PPG scorer in the league. He's also got decent vision, so throw in a better handle so he can set up guys off the dribble and he could grab 2/3 assists per as well.
    @DanielVeuleman

Here are Buddy's splits by month. The dude is becoming a stud! Look at his offensive and defensive rating this month in 5 games. That's a net + rating of 6! Dude is balling even with the horrid game in Brooklyn. Month over month he has improved in just about every category and what else really stands out is his raw box score numbers this month so far. 12 ppg, 5 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game. Shooting 48% from 3. This dude is going to be the true number 2 we have been looking for if his trajectory holds up.

He's already giving us the same offensive production as Gordon, plus better rebounding and assist numbers, from last year with much better defense if his rating holds up from the 5 games this month.

Split Value G GS MP FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA ORB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS FG% 3P% FT% TS% USG% ORtg DRtg +/- MP PTS TRB AST
    Month October 3 0 53 6 24 0 8 2 2 2 7 4 2 1 3 3 14 .250 .000 1.000 .281 22.8 61 109 -21.9 17.7 4.7 2.3 1.3
    November 16 1 264 46 123 18 68 9 10 3 36 16 4 2 12 22 119 .374 .265 .900 .467 23.9 87 111 -12.8 16.5 7.4 2.3 1.0
    December 16 14 356 64 147 33 69 8 9 5 45 22 4 1 15 16 169 .435 .478 .889 .560 20.6 102 113 -7.2 22.3 10.6 2.8 1.4
    January 5 5 141 20 53 15 31 5 5 5 25 12 4 0 4 9 60 .377 .484 1.000 .543 18.4 110 104 -5.1 28.2 12.0 5.0 2.4

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's got to become more of a focus going forward. What else are we playing for if not to give Anthony Davis a true running partner? We can't really expect that to be Langston Galloway or Terrence Jones, can we?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. West View Post
    Buddy improves his handle and there's no reason he can't be a 16-20 PPG scorer in the league. He's also got decent vision, so throw in a better handle so he can set up guys off the dribble and he could grab 2/3 assists per as well.
    Thats where I am at.

I just hope Gentry sees it that way as well. His ideal right now should be a guy in a couple seasons taking 8-9 3PA's a game like Gordon and Curry are doing. Getting around 17FGA's overall. Hopefully developing a better around the basket game where he can get to the line a couple times a game. Being able to facilitate and initiate the offense occasionally, run pick and rolls with AD occasionally and develop that mid range jumper.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Thats where I am at.

I just hope Gentry sees it that way as well. His ideal right now should be a guy in a couple seasons taking 8-9 3PA's a game like Gordon and Curry are doing. Getting around 17FGA's overall. Hopefully developing a better around the basket game where he can get to the line a couple times a game. Being able to facilitate and initiate the offense occasionally, run pick and rolls with AD occasionally and develop that mid range jumper.
    Could he become CJ McCollum?

Could he become CJ McCollum?
    I have always assumed his floor was CJ McCollum. I think he could peak higher though. Plus he has put it together a lot faster than CJ.

As far as people saying he needs to get more plays ran for him, give it time. He is in his 1st year and I expect him to hit a wall at some point this season. Almost all rookies do. Let this year be his learning year and next season he can start being our No. 2.

Thread Information