.
Pelicans Report
 

View Poll Results: Grade Dell Demps as G.M. (Give Honest Assessment)

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    1 1.64%
  • B

    1 1.64%
  • C

    25 40.98%
  • D

    28 45.90%
  • F

    6 9.84%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 50 of 50

Thread: Grade Dell Demps as G.M. (Give Honest Assessment)

  1. #26
    Exhibit C Nola3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The Sixers have been "promising" for over 6 years now. Hinkie no longer has a job. Not much to show for MKW. They are going to get low-balled for Noel & Okafor. The reason they have tons of cap space is because nobody wants to play there and their young players are still ???. At this rate, it'll still be a minimun 5 years before they even sniff the playoffs...in the east.

    If Hinkie won "big" he'd still be employed.
    It was always a 5 year plan to get back to the playoffs for them. That was stated at the beginning of Hinkie's tenure. And they got an incredibly valuable pick for MCW (can't remember if they've used it yet or not). They definitely drafted too many big men, but their asset base is easily top 5 in the league and Embiid looks like a superstar. Give them one of the billion PG's in this draft and they look phenomenal. I don't get how anyone can look at Hinkie objectively and say that he failed. He just got screwed by the Colangelos.

  2. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The Sixers have been "promising" for over 6 years now. Hinkie no longer has a job. Not much to show for MKW. They are going to get low-balled for Noel & Okafor. The reason they have tons of cap space is because nobody wants to play there and their young players are still ???. At this rate, it'll still be a minimun 5 years before they even sniff the playoffs...in the east.

    If Hinkie won "big" he'd still be employed.
    Hinkie did what Demps should have done if Benson really gave him a mandate. Sam quit when management lost their nerve from all the outside criticism and hired Calengallo. Hinkie is winning big because although he's not the GM for Philly when he's ready teams will give him a chance. I don't think that will be the case if/when Demps is fired.

  3. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    Hinkie did what Demps should have done if Benson really gave him a mandate. Sam quit when management lost their nerve from all the outside criticism and hired Calengallo. Hinkie is winning big because although he's not the GM for Philly when he's ready teams will give him a chance. I don't think that will be the case if/when Demps is fired.
    When it comes to folks who believe in the 76ers "process" you notice you have to keep using words like "will", "should", "could"? How long will it take for folks like you to realize the 76ers "process" has not worked out? They are STILL having to rely on rookies as we speak in 2017 and that was NOT the plan way back when this began.

    There is no one way or best way to do things. The Pelicans and 76ers are two prime examples of that.

    Boston is a prime example of using all avenues to build their team with good timing on signings. Yet, they are still not a title contender.

  4. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    It was always a 5 year plan to get back to the playoffs for them. That was stated at the beginning of Hinkie's tenure. And they got an incredibly valuable pick for MCW (can't remember if they've used it yet or not). They definitely drafted too many big men, but their asset base is easily top 5 in the league and Embiid looks like a superstar. Give them one of the billion PG's in this draft and they look phenomenal. I don't get how anyone can look at Hinkie objectively and say that he failed. He just got screwed by the Colangelos.
    Well thats the thing. It's looking more like a 10 year plan because the 5 years has passed already. Don't lose count. Yes, he failed.

  5. #30
    Looking at Philadelphia's situation compared to ours, I do envy them quite a bit. We have AD, and a bunch of miscast parts that aren't very lucrative in trades. Philly has a lot of assets that they could move and improve the team. Them not making improvements right now is fine, as one last year in the lottery will net them the pg they need to make that team run. The Henkie plan was not going to end last season, it still had another year to go. But man, they have a lot of assets, and tons of cap space. Really a blank canvas.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

  6. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The Sixers have been "promising" for over 6 years now. Hinkie no longer has a job. Not much to show for MKW. They are going to get low-balled for Noel & Okafor. The reason they have tons of cap space is because nobody wants to play there and their young players are still ???. At this rate, it'll still be a minimun 5 years before they even sniff the playoffs...in the east.

    If Hinkie won "big" he'd still be employed.

    You act like owners are some arbiter of excellent decision-making. If that were the case everyone's internal organizational structure would look like the well oiled machines of the Warriors and Spurs.

    And the guy they replaced Hinkie with is largely doing the exact same thing. They aren't out there cashing in like mad men and trying to desperately win in the short term. It seems more like a PR move meant to address pressures. And MCW was actually a brilliant Hinkie move. He didn't pull a Demps and overvalue his decision, he recognized the inferiority of his own player before the market did and managed to sell him for the Lakers top 5 protected first rounder. That is an incredible haul for MCW.

    You just do not go from the bottom in a small market to the top in the NBA in short order. This is not the NFL. And that sort of lack of resilience and recognition of the task to rebuild is why the Pelicans are in the situation they are in. Barely any better then the Sixers but with a much, MUCH worse asset base to work with and much less flexibility.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-08-2017 at 10:43 PM.

  7. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Looking at Philadelphia's situation compared to ours, I do envy them quite a bit. We have AD, and a bunch of miscast parts that aren't very lucrative in trades. Philly has a lot of assets that they could move and improve the team. Them not making improvements right now is fine, as one last year in the lottery will net them the pg they need to make that team run. The Henkie plan was not going to end last season, it still had another year to go. But man, they have a lot of assets, and tons of cap space. Really a blank canvas.
    They actually have 2 likely top ten picks this year. In what is a strong draft.

    They could realistically get Markelle Fultz and someone like Jonathan Isaac.

    Thats not a bad core to work with and develop going forward:

    Fultz, Simmons, Isaac, Embiid, Saric, Luwawu, Covington, Okafor and Noel.

    The last two you could probably sell for solid role players and draft picks to keep a flow of developmental talent on favorable contracts.

    If you are a high sought after GM what job do you think they are going to take first? The Sixers or the Pelicans? That would be my challenge to the Hinkie haters.

  8. #33
    I went with B.

    He consistently puts a decent team together and then it gets decimated by injuries. Came close to a C but Gordon, Ryno, Jrue, Qpon, even AD.... Our overall record would be insanely better with just normal luck on health and we would probably have had an easier time attracting better FAs.

    Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

  9. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    2,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Someone gave him an A?


  10. #35
    I'm result oriented and if you look at the record of every teams in the last 6 years (https://www.statmuse.com/questions/5...0-fbcf514976eb), this team is bottom 6 in the league while having always few cap space and trading multiple draftpicks so no incentive to tank except one year. That's brutal.

    I mean even the train wreck named the Nets have a better record on that span than the hornets/pels under Demps tenure.

    The fact that he can find some good 7-8th man doesn't improve him much his grade. He's a plain D, maybe even D-minus.
    Last edited by Blattman; 01-09-2017 at 01:10 AM.

  11. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    You act like owners are some arbiter of excellent decision-making. If that were the case everyone's internal organizational structure would look like the well oiled machines of the Warriors and Spurs.

    And the guy they replaced Hinkie with is largely doing the exact same thing. They aren't out there cashing in like mad men and trying to desperately win in the short term. It seems more like a PR move meant to address pressures. And MCW was actually a brilliant Hinkie move. He didn't pull a Demps and overvalue his decision, he recognized the inferiority of his own player before the market did and managed to sell him for the Lakers top 5 protected first rounder. That is an incredible haul for MCW.

    You just do not go from the bottom in a small market to the top in the NBA in short order. This is not the NFL. And that sort of lack of resilience and recognition of the task to rebuild is why the Pelicans are in the situation they are in. Barely any better then the Sixers but with a much, MUCH worse asset base to work with and much less flexibility.

    How can you call it an "incredible haul" when they still have not been able to use that pick? And it's still top 3 protected this year. Colangelo hasn't been able to do much because nobody wants to sign there. It doesn't matter how much cap space you have. Unless you can package a trade, which will be difficult for the 76ers to do, it's a two way street.

    You can't just keep looking at draft picks and cap space going on a decade and continue to praise that when there have been 0 results in the W/L column. You can't even see growth. It has been an obvious failure to this point. The model franshises for this (OKC, San Antonio) took nowhere near this long. These are facts.

  12. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I'm result oriented and if you look at the record of every teams in the last 6 years (https://www.statmuse.com/questions/5...0-fbcf514976eb), this team is bottom 6 in the league while having always few cap space and trading multiple draftpicks so no incentive to tank except one year. That's brutal.

    I mean even the train wreck named the Nets have a better record on that span than the hornets/pels under Demps tenure.

    The fact that he can find some good 7-8th man doesn't improve him much his grade. He's a plain D, maybe even D-minus.
    Did you factor injuries into your results for each team? There is a rather well known graph that shows this franchise has had abnormally bad luck in that department. That counts.

    The Nets play in the east.

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    How can you call it an "incredible haul" when they still have not been able to use that pick? And it's still top 3 protected this year. Colangelo hasn't been able to do much because nobody wants to sign there. It doesn't matter how much cap space you have. Unless you can package a trade, which will be difficult for the 76ers to do, it's a two way street.

    You can't just keep looking at draft picks and cap space going on a decade and continue to praise that when there have been 0 results in the W/L column. You can't even see growth. It has been an obvious failure to this point. The model franshises for this (OKC, San Antonio) took nowhere near this long. These are facts.
    MCW for a top 5 protected Lakers pick is one of the better asset coups in recent memory.

    But yes, of course they could screw it up. But the move itself was very wise and very good. You are literally the only person I have read trying to downplay that trade.

    You have a very superficial way of judging organizational success and improvement if all you base it on is the w/l column in what is clearly a work in progress rebuild.

    So let's reset the clock then, tell me with your superior knowledge what the Sixers should have done and why it would of produced a better team and long-term positioning for the franchise????

  14. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Did you factor injuries into your results for each team? There is a rather well known graph that shows this franchise has had abnormally bad luck in that department. That counts.

    The Nets play in the east.
    Wait so we are making injury excuses for the Pels but you want to ignore the injury issues the Sixers faced in their rebuild that lengthened the first phase in Hinkies plan when it suits your argument? At least be consistent in your approach.

  15. #40
    Exhibit C Nola3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    828
    I'm sorry this has become a defend Sam Hinkie thread, but this is one of my biggest NBA pet peeves. Look at what he had when he took over. That franchise had just pulled off the Bynum trade that left them completely bare. They had basically no assets other than Jrue and were looking like a well-below average team for the foreseeable future. Then he came in and tore everything down, restocked their cupboard, picked up some incredible young talent, and set them up for the next 15 years.

    You keep saying that they can't sign anyone, but who have they tried to sign? Like Bronco said, injuries may have delayed stage 2 for a few years, but when they decide to leverage their assets into a complete roster, it's going to be stacked with young talent and complementary vets who they got by overpaying (because they have the flexibility to do so) or by overwhelming teams with a trade offer (because they have the asset base to do so). To go from Andrew Bynum taking that team out by the knees 5 years ago, to where they are today is nothing short of miraculous.

  16. #41
    I gave Demps an F based solely on the Gentry hire. He should have done a more thorough search for Monty's replacement instead of falling in love with a PowerPoint presentation. The only player moves I have an issue with are the Asik and Hill signings.
    Last edited by DaFranchise80; 01-09-2017 at 06:58 AM.

  17. #42
    Didn't Demps interview nearly everyone?

  18. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    When it comes to folks who believe in the 76ers "process" you notice you have to keep using words like "will", "should", "could"? How long will it take for folks like you to realize the 76ers "process" has not worked out? They are STILL having to rely on rookies as we speak in 2017 and that was NOT the plan way back when this began.

    There is no one way or best way to do things. The Pelicans and 76ers are two prime examples of that.

    Boston is a prime example of using all avenues to build their team with good timing on signings. Yet, they are still not a title contender.
    I much rather have people talking about my work with excitement for the future as opposed to the way people talk about the Pelicans future.

  19. #44
    I'd give him a D. He's got some good qualities but I think the mistakes he's made have been pretty significant. He has regularly misjudged the future trade value of players/contracts which has lead to him painting himself into corners.

  20. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    I'm sorry this has become a defend Sam Hinkie thread, but this is one of my biggest NBA pet peeves. Look at what he had when he took over. That franchise had just pulled off the Bynum trade that left them completely bare. They had basically no assets other than Jrue and were looking like a well-below average team for the foreseeable future. Then he came in and tore everything down, restocked their cupboard, picked up some incredible young talent, and set them up for the next 15 years.

    You keep saying that they can't sign anyone, but who have they tried to sign? Like Bronco said, injuries may have delayed stage 2 for a few years, but when they decide to leverage their assets into a complete roster, it's going to be stacked with young talent and complementary vets who they got by overpaying (because they have the flexibility to do so) or by overwhelming teams with a trade offer (because they have the asset base to do so). To go from Andrew Bynum taking that team out by the knees 5 years ago, to where they are today is nothing short of miraculous.
    They've been tanking for 4 years and still one of the worst teams in the NBA. 10 wins and 25 losses is miraculous? Lol.

  21. #46
    RIP BDJ AUSSIE_PELICAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,492
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    They've been tanking for 4 years and still one of the worst teams in the NBA. 10 wins and 25 losses is miraculous? Lol.
    We haven't tanked and are still really really bad and no assets to show for. AD doesn't count as I count this the first year. Lets see where Philly are after 6 years.

  22. #47
    Stealth Mode: Active Lurkaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    485
    He gets a D for his (albeit good) ability to find cheap nobodies to fill holes that still manage to produce. While he has been pretty good at that, that's just about the lowest impact GM skill that he could have...hence the D. Otherwise, he's primarily been a disaster (particularly now that he's been able to pick his coach only to have worse results).

  23. #48
    Maybe not all Demps fault



  24. #49
    I gave him a C.

    I think moving forward we should give someone else the reigns but overall I can't be super mad at Dell. He gave the team a chance to succeed and the team failed him. Jrue, EG, Reke, Ryno, AD was a great core conceptually but it just didnt have synergy in reality.

  25. #50
    C


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •