Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should the Pelicans be interested in F Paul Millsap?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    I'm all for the Pels trading their first (protected) for Millsap because I really want to see Demps fired, and that might be the most certain way of doing that.
    lol

End justifies the means hey?

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Let's play this out.

One of the things I find interesting is the salary matching. We almost certainly would have to include Tyreke. And is a much younger expiring Tyreke really a throw in? Do we get THAT much better if also losing Tyreke? Maybe he could go to a third team?

I would want to find a way to also get Thabo Sefalosha in the deal. He would really solidify our roster IMO. Ignoring roster spots for a second, maybe:

Pels get: Paul Millsap and Thabo Sefalosha

Hawks get: Tyreke Evans, Alexi Ajinca, Quincy Pondexter, Langston Galloway, Pels 2017 first top 7 protected, Sixers 2017 second

Hawks could surely dump one of their smallest contracts if needed for roster spot.

We would have:

PG- Jrue Holiday/ Tim Frazier
    SG- Buddy Hield/ E'Twaun Moore
    SF- Thabo Sefalosha/ Solomon Hill/ Dante Cunningham
    PF- Paul Millsap/ Terrence Jones/ Cheick Diallo
    C- Anthony Davis/ Donatas Montiejunas/ Omer Asik

I get the fear, but you do have to explore it. If you get Paul to handshake on a four year extension, this could get serious.
    That's all good for this season, but it is pretty unrealistic to maintain a past it.

Davis, Jrue and Milsap could command upwards of 80 million in cap space going forward.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    That's all good for this season, but it is pretty unrealistic to maintain a past it.

Davis, Jrue and Milsap could command upwards of 80 million in cap space going forward.
    Those guys are worth $80 million though. And you still have Buddy and Solo under contract. You would still have Frazier, Moore, Cunningham, Diallo and Asik. You would mostly be looking for vets as solid backups, which is one thing Demps can do.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I hope we get Millsap. He would dramatically improve the team. I think we are going to get him. I also think he's better than every player on this roster except AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think y'all a wrong. I think this is a big opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd do it if they took back Asik. Tyreke, Asik, 1st protected. I'm not giving up anything more unless Millsap agrees to opting in to his last year.

A rental is not worth a 1st and a 2nd. Only reason I'm ok with giving up the 1st alone is it gets rid of Asik.

Could it be that the organization is looking at Cheick Diallo as its "2017" 1st Rd. selection?

If they're willing to dangle this upcoming draft's 1st Rd. pick for Paul Millsap, I believe Dell is looking at him as if he is this year's pick.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    Could it be that the organization is looking at Cheick Diallo as its "2017" 1st Rd. selection?

If they're willing to dangle this upcoming draft's 1st Rd. pick for Paul Millsap, I believe Dell is looking at him as if he is this year's pick.
    God I hope not. There's no rule that you can only have one rookie per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    God I hope not. There's no rule that you can only have one rookie per year.
    No, but do the Pels realistically have the minutes and patience to give more than one rookie per year minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    No, but do the Pels realistically have the minutes and patience to give more than one rookie per year minutes?
    If they player warrants it, yes. The alternative should not be to overpay for a 32 year old who may or may not re-sign (and if he does, would demand a max contract). That is a not a winning proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    Ideally we have both. Realistically we have neither. The front office/ownership/whoever you want to blame this current situation on's focus has been on the present for the past half decade and we've stalled. Consistently. It would be wonderful if we could focus on development and cohesion for the future, but I don't think we have the infrastructure or incentives to do so.

Hmmm

Last edited by jprdbulldog20; 01-06-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Jesus...
    I'm done with trading our first rounders.

I love Millsap, but I also would like to develop players around AD. The whole "lets trade our 1sts for players" logic pushed back our progress. Jrue is the only player that worked for us.

Look how fun it's been watching Buddy grow into a solid player this season. I wanna do more of that.

It will make a lot more sense to sign D-Mo to half of Milsap's expected contract, and then have more to spare for Holiday's re-signing, and possibly another player.

The Franchise
    I like Milsap but he's getting up there in age and all he'll do is get us to the 8th seed for this year and maybe the next couple if he resigns. Not that I don't want to be in the playoffs but I want to be there with younger talent so as we grow and when GS and the Spurs start to slip or get injury prone, we would step in. There isn't a lot of players I can see out there that would transcend us this year or to really make waves that we could get. Wall and Butler are the only 2 that could push the needle depending on what we give up but doubt we either have enough assets or their team is ready to trade them.

Love Millsap as a player.

Hate to be the team that pays his next contract.

Don't want to give up assets for a half-year rental, playoffs or no playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Love Millsap as a player.

Hate to be the team that pays his next contract.

Don't want to give up assets for a half-year rental, playoffs or no playoffs.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post

That would be super stupid and the reason why our team has a lack of talent outside of AD. I don't care how appealing it sounds you don't trade away a lottery pick for a 31 year old vet who will be a free agent who commands a big salary that would only net you a 7th seed in the playoffs.

Im really curious to see how D-Mo performs before we make a move on another big

The trade is not happening folks. Close this thread. Pels backed out talks.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Add me to the no thanks vote. Again 1st we aren't out bidding anybody. Next Millsap isn't on par with Davis window. This trade takes us from bad to OK. That's not good enough for me to invest to assets or the salary Paul going to command.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Wow! I'm glad they finally have sense now!

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Not doubting you, but it's more helpful to include the tweet or article or whatever.

Or I could scroll up the page a few moments, if I weren't an idiot.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 01-06-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post

Second tweet pleases me as it shows foresight Dell hadn't shown early in his tenure.

Thread Information