Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Should the Pelicans be interested in F Paul Millsap?

Should the Pelicans be interested in F Paul Millsap?

What do you think?

No, not the right age to grow with this squad. Will likely leave in FA.

He's made himself into a great NBA player, so talent-wise I have no problem. But in reality we'd be trading away younger assets for a shot at 8th seed and an ****** whooping by the Warriors. Not worth.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Unless they will take something less than a 1st, pass.

in free agency? maybe, depends what the market looks like but not to trade for unless it was just for tyreke which i see as very unlikely

It will be his last contract. He would like to be paid. Now he earns around 20. He would ask for more. Even max...

Hawks will ask for a pick. Or Buddy. They like Buddy.

So no and double no.

Pass. He will be 32 soon and will look for a max contract.

We won't have cap space if we re-sign Jrue, so we'd have to trade for him. If the goal of the organization is to win asap, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a better solution. We'd have to outbid the Raptors and others in trade talks, so I think our 1st would definitely be on the table. I'd do it if I was reasonably sure he'd sign with us in the offseason.

I think he would be a perfect fit for the Raptors. I would actually like to see them land him so it's a little tougher in the East. Milsap on the Raptors instantly makes them very serious contenders. Sick of Lebron having 0 competition to go through in the East while the West is much tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by ml wave View Post
    We won't have cap space if we re-sign Jrue, so we'd have to trade for him. If the goal of the organization is to win asap, I'd be hard pressed to come up with a better solution. We'd have to outbid the Raptors and others in trade talks, so I think our 1st would definitely be on the table. I'd do it if I was reasonably sure he'd sign with us in the offseason.
    Even though the likely only way to re-sign him would be to offer him a max contract (and he is already 32 years old)?

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Millsap is a phenomenal player so the Pels should obviously be interested, especially if Davis will play the 5 as he has been. But his age means that we shouldn't empty our already scarce asset cabinet.
    @DanielVeuleman

Rumors saying we're trying to get Milsap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say go for it...especially with diallo waiting in the wings.

I can't believe y'all are clamoring for a 32 year old who is going to command over 100mil this coming offseason in hopes of maybe making 8th seed?

#mindblown

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Jesus...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Jesus...
    no words

I'll believe it isn't true until it's confirmed true

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Millsap is good. Giving up a first is scary.

Jesus...
    20mil in salary fillers would have to be Tyreke and Asik. If its Asik that will likely mean the protection on the pick is maybe lottery only. I'd be ok if protection was top 20 for 3 years then converted to 2 2nd rounders unprotected.

Terrible move either way. Would rather go after someone locked up for 4 years.

I mean, we aren't attracting any solid players in FA. We (likely, barring an AD injury) aren't bad enough to get a top 10 pick. If you don't pull the trigger on this Millsap deal, what's your alternate path to success and keeping AD here past this contract? I'm not 100% on wanting this deal, but if you really think about it, trading for Millsap is probably our best realistic move to become a 3-6 seed during this AD contract.

Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    I mean, we aren't attracting any solid players in FA. We (likely, barring an AD injury) aren't bad enough to get a top 10 pick. If you don't pull the trigger on this Millsap deal, what's your alternate path to success and keeping AD here past this contract? I'm not 100% on wanting this deal, but if you really think about it, trading for Millsap is probably our best realistic move to become a 3-6 seed during this AD contract.
    It definitely isn't giving up a 2017 pick for a 3 month rental of a borderline All-Star

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jprdbulldog20 View Post
    If this East trip goes badly we will definitely be bottom 10

Millsap's max will start at about $35M a year and rise from there this summer.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    Wonder how Benson feels about paying Holiday 25mil a year, and Millsap 35mil a year and then have to supermax AD and match the max RFA offer Buddy gets.

Short answer: Not going to happen, ever.

This draft pick means so much to our long term flexibility and there are too many good SF's and C's between 7 and 17 draft positions that we should find a contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    If this East trip goes badly we will definitely be bottom 10
    After this road trip we then have 6 in a row at home. We're 12-13 (I think) with Jrue playing. This team is about a .500ish team with our current roster. I think, without making any moves, we'd finish 8-10 seed range and 11-15 overall. We could finish top 10, sure. But then what? Let's say we pick 8th and draft a guy like OG Anunoby out of Indiana. How much does that really move the needle in the next few years before the AD contract ends?

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    And people are still sweating that Jrue might get $20 mil per.

I'd do it, the likehood is that we'll have a pick in the teens, and those guys are hit and miss. Couple that with a prime or soon to be prime AD and I'd rather have a perennial all star paired with him than a couple borderline all stars and a pick that has a better chance of being a bench player.

This is the best chance to have the best team around AD for the next few years, as opposed to a pick that is 50/50 at best, and even if he hits his potential by that time AD is at the end of his contract.
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

Thread Information