Pelicans Report

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans signing Motiejunas?

Zach Lowe, I believe, wrote something a few years back calling this guy an elite low-post scorer. Legitimately one of the best in the NBA. If he does anything else, just a single other thing, than be good at that I'm on board.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    Really? So you can name 15 centers that shoot better than him from long distance?
    Did I say he was a below average shooting center?

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Did I say he was a below average shooting center?
    You said that he is a below average long range shooter. Motiejunas has decidedly above average range for a big man. His range will provide spacing for the offense and clear out the paint for AD.

You said that he is a below average long range shooter. Motiejunas has decidedly above average range for a big man. His range will provide spacing for the offense and clear out the paint for AD.
    That's cool. But you're arguing against a point I never made. You can be an "above average range shooter (from three)" for a big man and be a below average shooter (from three), regardless of which big men you decide to classify as centers and which you don't for the convenience of your argument. The league average three point shooting perentage was 35.6% last year. Since the 1997-98 season, the lowest average three shooting percentage has been 33.9% (1998-99). Motiejunas' career three point percentage is 30.8%. So again, he is a below average long range shooter.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-03-2017 at 07:47 PM.

That's cool. But you're arguing against a point I never made. You can be an "above average range shooter (from three)" for a big man and be a below average shooter (from three), regardless of which big men you decide to classify as centers and which you don't for the convenience of your argument. The league average three point shooting perentage was 35.6% last year. Since the 1997-98 season, the lowest average three shooting percentage has been 33.9% (1998-99). Motiejunas' career three point percentage is 30.8%. So again, he is a below average long range shooter.
    The supposed "point" that you've made has no value whatsoever. You are comparing the 3 point percentage of a 7 foot center to wings. That's ridiculous.

The supposed "point" that you've made has no value whatsoever. You are comparing the 3 point percentage of a 7 foot center to wings. That's ridiculous.
    Lmao shooting is shooting. You're either a good shooter or you're not. It's not rocket science. You choosing not to make that comparison for the purposes of depicting Montiejunas as an above average three point shooter is the only thing here that is ridiculolus. And the average three point shooting percentage takes into account every position, not just wings.

You, on the other hand, haven't provided anything to indicate that he is an above average three point shooter, nor even an above average shooting big from three for that matter. Seems like your point is the one with zero value.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-03-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Lmao shooting is shooting. You're either a good shooter or you're not. It's not rocket science. You choosing not to make that comparison for the purposes of depicting Montiejunas as an above average three point shooter is the only thing here that is ridiculolus. And the average three point shooting percentage takes into account every position, not just wings.

You, on the other hand, haven't provided anything to indicate that he is an above average three point shooter, nor even an above average shooting big from three for that matter. Seems like you're point is the one with zero value.
    Oh, word? Shooting is shooting? We should have played Ryan Anderson at the 5, since shooting is shooting and positions don't matter. I wonder why they never thought of that. So curious.

Oh, word? Shooting is shooting? We should have played Ryan Anderson at the 5, since shooting is shooting and positions don't matter. I wonder why they never thought of that. So curious.
    I honestly have no idea what you're even talking about here. We wouldn't play Anderson at the 5 because there's this thing called defense. It's baffling that we're still even having this discussion. You keep telling yourself that someone who has shot over 30% from three in a season one time is an above average three point shooter. Particularly when you have provided absoluely nothing to demonstrate that he is one, even amongst bigs, except for confusing and inconsistent straw man arguments.

Edit: By the way, you do realize that DMo's primary position is the 4, not the 5 right? He is a Power Forward who plays spot minutes at the Center position, not the other way around. I mean he's 223 freaking pounds. I only bring this up because you seemingly have an obsession with distinguishing 4s from 5s and you restricted Nola3's response to centers for no apparent reason at all. Just a side point.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-03-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Seriously man, give it a rest. You look ridiculous, and you're just inventing fake arguments and putting words in PelsFan's mouth.

If a shooter (regardless of position or size) is shooting 30% from 3, I don't want him shooting 3s. You're trying to tell me that, because DMo is a better 3 point shooter than say, oh idk, Omer Asik, that he should be taking away 3 point shooting opportunities from guys like Hield, Galloway, Moore, etc... All guys who are significantly better 3-point shooters than DMo.

That said, I don't want Hield, Galloway, or Moore trying to take people in the paint. Their post games suck. I would, however, feed DMo in the post all day. That's where he makes his money, and sure, he can shoot out to midrange, but he is absolutely, unequivocally NOT a good 3-point shooter - even if he is a better than the average center.

Play to your strengths.

Seriously man? Do you actually believe what you're writing? I don't want a response. Just wondering out loud.

What in the world does this even mean? (Don't respond to that either. Again... wondering out loud)
    Last edited by nolaslim213; 01-03-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    its all pretty simple really... other teams will revel if DMo puts up a three... he has made some, but the odds are heavily tilted toward it being a wasted possession...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nolaslim213 View Post
    Seriously man, give it a rest. You look ridiculous, and you're just inventing fake arguments and putting words in PelsFan's mouth.

If a shooter (regardless of position or size) is shooting 30% from 3, I don't want him shooting 3s. You're trying to tell me that, because DMo is a better 3 point shooter than say, oh idk, Omer Asik, that he should be taking away 3 point shooting opportunities from guys like Hield, Galloway, Moore, etc... All guys who are significantly better 3-point shooters than DMo.

That said, I don't want Hield, Galloway, or Moore trying to take people in the paint. Their post games suck. I would, however, feed DMo in the post all day. That's where he makes his money, and sure, he can shoot out to midrange, but he is absolutely, unequivocally NOT a good 3-point shooter - even if he is a better than the average center.

Play to your strengths.

Seriously man? Do you actually believe what you're writing? I don't want a response. Just wondering out loud.

What in the world does this even mean? (Don't respond to that either. Again... wondering out loud)
    Here's an argument that makes a lot of sense. The largest sample size we have for minutes and games played in a single season was in 2014-2015 season where he started most games and played almost the whole season. He averaged 12ppg and 5.9rpg and his 3 point percentage was .36 percent. He took 3 point shots in virtually every game and was consistent as a legitimate 3 point threat.

IF, and it may be a big IF, DMo plays well and is more like 2014 player than the banged up 2015 player I expect him to be a legit three point threat. If he gets 25 min a game I think he can easily be that 2014 player.

BTW I don't think he is close to 220. I believe he's more like 259. I heard this from a reliable source which unfortunately I can't remember right now.

DMo, healthy, is probably a starter. I think he'll solve a lot of problems if gentry uses him effectively. He will get the green light to shoot 3s because if he's successful it will stretch the defense and allow players to attack the basket.

Healthy Dmo getting 25-28min will probably help the PELS win more and if the team stays healthy I think we'll make the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    Sooooo.. any ideas of when he might suit up?
    Now that....whatever that was is over....what about this?
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Yes I freaking love this signing!! What a great pick up. He will fit perfectly in next to AD. Go watch him on Green last year in the playoffs. Was giving him fits all game and to me looked like a great piece towards the Rockets future. Athletic and moves great for a 7' big. Can stretch the floor and D up multiple positions. The best thing that's comes out of this is no more Asik! Guy is donezo!Go Pels!!
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-04-2017 at 04:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    He's listed at 220 pounds.
    That's light for a 7 footer.
    He weighs what Davis did coming into the league.
    This is not what he weighs now. He has gained a lot more weight and bulked up since he came into the league. Have followed this guy closely for a while and to me he put on atleast 15-20 lbs since he came to the league. I would say he weighs no less then 240.

Quote Originally Posted by LT_McBird View Post
    Well let me tell you something about this player, I'm Lithuanian , i follow all Lithuanians in NBA, watching almost every game, D-Mo can be answer for your prayers, if he stays helthy of course, he is extremely good at fast breaks , he did fight for his spot in Rockets a lot, he was sent back and forth to D-League, he get pissed off and asked for a trade, rockets didn't want to let him go, till miracle happened, Howard went off with injury, D-Mo did get a lot of time, so dont look at his statistics because its completely {edited-veiled cursing not allowed} there, he played a lot of games like 2-4 minutes, and then everyone saw what he's capable off, only one thing can be bad is chemistry with Terence Jones because when he did show his talents Jones was in trade rumours, D-Mo got his minutes and you can see from Jones face he wasn't happy when D-Mo scored , so only one problem it can be, sorry for my english i need to improve that for sure , so i will be rooting Pelicans at least this year for sure
    Welcome to this forum I am very happy with this signing even if it is for less than a season. It will actually show how this kind of a big man complements AD. If it works great than the Pels might give him a better contract. Anyway thanks to this signing this organiation will hopefully understand better how to construct this roster. It may be more clear if a big man is needed more than SF or not and if so what kind of a big man is actually needed
    Last edited by PolishFan; 01-04-2017 at 05:34 AM.

The great thing about DMo is his versatility on the court with AD. You could say we are running small ball with him because he moves that well. I'll say it again I have never seen someone give Green fits the way he did and that was just coming back from injury. Guy was covering him out to the half court line and staying all over him. He can absolutely be a key to beating a team like the Warriors. With AD and DMo we can run with their small ball lineup but they would have trouble with our 2 7's on the floor. Man I can't believe we were able to get this guy for nothing. Had no idea he was injured and last I remembered he signed a solid deal with the Rockets. When I saw him in the playoffs and they were talking about him being a RFA I thought no way they would let him go and he was the big man I wanted but didn't think it was possible. IMO one of the better fits in the NBA you could put on the floor with AD. His game is just the perfect compliment. Arguably the best passing big in the NBA which is going to be great alongside AD. Great fit in Gentrys system.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-04-2017 at 05:11 AM.

Hakeem Olajuwon training DMo
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5fPsZx8E03o
    Cool video of the dream teaching DMo some post moves if anyone is interested. His post game definitely looks like he soaked up some of his teaching

All 150 post moves from the 14'-15' season. Part 1 and 2
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mgUvN9a-seQ
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VlDNIDfSpMw

DMo top 10 plays 14'-15'
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KoiDbWxgVqI
    Great video showing his diverse skill set. Guy does multiple things that you rarely see other big men capable of doing

Season highlights for the 14'-15' season. Part 1 and 2
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-JrmjdOPuWc
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7HpUCAVQoJY
    Guy can be a flat out stud if he can stay healthy. At 26 years old he is entering the prime of his career with what should be his best basketball ahead of him.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-04-2017 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Yes I freaking love this signing!! What a great pick up. He will fit perfectly in next to AD. Go watch him on Green last year in the playoffs. Was giving him fits all game and to me looked like a great piece towards the Rockets future. Athletic and moves great for a 7' big. Can stretch the floor and D up multiple positions. The best thing that's comes out of this is no more Asik! Guy is donezo!Go Pels!!
    Yeah I like the move too. That's the second best 7 footer we signed in years. He should compliment AD well. I'm ok with a big rotation of AD, D Mon, and Jones. If we can sign him long-term I'm sure we can bulk him up like what we did for AD.

despite his shortcomings, like below average rebounder and shot blocker, he's extremely good pickup for Pelicans. Don't understand some fans who say it's not that good of pick up, but what can you get for a vet min? Really? And his back problems is definitely blown out of proportion in the press. Motiejunas passed Nets, Rockets physicals, the only one he didn't pass was Detroit's, and that physical was only ~7 months after the injury, and Detroit was giving up useful players in a trade so if they saw even one small concern, it's really understandable why they pulled the plug. It doesn't mean, that the back was in bad shape or something like that.

Motiejunas is pretty much perfect for Pels, much better than you can hope for such a price tag anyway. They need a mobile backup center when AD is resting, and Motiejunas perfectly fills the bill, he's great offensively in the post and at least average in defense, definitely not below average. He's way better at C than Cuningham or TJones. Plus Motiejunas will be useful in PF, he's better than TJones cause can hit 3s better.
    I forecast he will play 11-16min a game as backup center and another 10-15min as PF, ~26min total per game.
    Last edited by subfor; 01-04-2017 at 08:23 AM.

Been lurking on here past few days, so may as well register and say Hello

Hopefully this turns out great for both DMo and the Pelicans.

Good interview with him posted on reddit, translated here: https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment..._play/dbzexsl/

Hello, Pelicans' fans! As this thread is starting to build up some hype I feel obligated to contribute as well by posting this "It's (DMo hype) Time" video

For some reason I have a feeling he's going to be a bigger addition then people think

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I really hope he's an elite player for us somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I really hope he's an elite player for us somehow.
    Potential is there, but in such situation it's best to expect nothing. And lmao at peopel thinking he might bring any kind of locker room problems, no chance that happens, it's just not him.

Thread Information