Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I WANT GENTRY OUT.....MARK JACKSON IN

Quote Originally Posted by rameythegreat View Post
    It started in the finals vs Cavs when lebron and mosgov were dominating in garbage time. That line up sparked the team and iggy started playing well. They won the series and featured it in spurts the last season

If they knew the damage that lineup could cause they would not have waited so long to implement it. It was a last ditch effort that worked
    They did use it for short bursts during the regular season. Go look at NBA.com.

What you CONTINUE to ignore is that the death lineup was not purely luck. Like you want to frame it to try and deny Kerr and his staff credit and pump up Jackson.

Kerr fostered an environment of participatory, co-operative, open exchange of ideas. He puts value in analytics, game tape, and the wisdom of his personal. Even guys like the young video-room guy. It is this along with his more forward thinking coaching style that allowed him to be in a situation where the small ball lineup became a realistic option in a moment of struggle. Had Jackson been in that situation, they would of just trotted out the same tired strategies and tactics that had led to Jackson's stagnant offenses for his tenure.

Let's all agree kerr is a good coach

Not let's compare JACKSON to gentry
    GENTRY system is basically iso AD and not the flowing kerr system he helped design in golden state because u need players to make it work

Kerr and JACKSON never had the same draymond.draymond worked on his game, became a beast and took advantage of his opportunity and if not for injury he might not of gotten that opportunity .nobody saw draymond coming. Draymond playmaking allows kerr system to work. He didn't have the same skill package with jackson so his system will look different for better or worse but it isn't coaching when he grabs a rebound and guards can release down court to fast break

My question is what we need to keep AD here because he's gone if we cant develop players he can win a championship with in the near furture. They're not a lot of available coaches that have developed young stars like jackson.it doesn't matter if he's not the best x and o guy. JACKSON skills fit what we need right now a culture change and player developnent. If AD leaves it doesn't matter who's coaching that will put us back 10 yrs

Toxic, curry and klay loved JACKSON. He had issues with assistant that undermined his authority and got rid of them coach like any coach would. It wasn't until he argued with executive that he got fired like any owner would a coach.

U come off as the guy that gives more credit to phil Jackson's triangle system than u do to Jordan Shaq kobe or pippen

I will admit he needed a better coaching staff with more experience

The staff should of had more head coaching experience the help him navigate the politics of being an head coach in the nba

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    They did use it for short bursts during the regular season. Go look at NBA.com.

What you CONTINUE to ignore is that the death lineup was not purely luck. Like you want to frame it to try and deny Kerr and his staff credit and pump up Jackson.

Kerr fostered an environment of participatory, co-operative, open exchange of ideas. He puts value in analytics, game tape, and the wisdom of his personal. Even guys like the young video-room guy. It is this along with his more forward thinking coaching style that allowed him to be in a situation where the small ball lineup became a realistic option in a moment of struggle. Had Jackson been in that situation, they would of just trotted out the same tired strategies and tactics that had led to Jackson's stagnant offenses for his tenure.

Down 2-1 in the finals let's try this and see if this can work after throwing it in late in game 2

So what I'm saying is that kerr wasn't in training camp in meetings telling coaches he has an amazing lineup he's going to use late in the playoffs. The lineup came out of desperation because the series was getting away from them. It was not an lineup they planned on using

Can we move this thread to the dump? Is the dump still open?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Can we move this thread to the dump? Is the dump still open?
    We should dump it right next to ppl who think the Lakers will trade d Russell for buddy hield

Let's all agree kerr is a good coach

Not let's compare JACKSON to gentry
    GENTRY system is basically iso AD and not the flowing kerr system he helped design in golden state because u need players to make it work

Kerr and JACKSON never had the same draymond.draymond worked on his game, became a beast and took advantage of his opportunity and if not for injury he might not of gotten that opportunity .nobody saw draymond coming. Draymond playmaking allows kerr system to work. He didn't have the same skill package with jackson so his system will look different for better or worse but it isn't coaching when he grabs a rebound and guards can release down court to fast break

My question is what we need to keep AD here because he's gone if we cant develop players he can win a championship with in the near furture. They're not a lot of available coaches that have developed young stars like jackson.it doesn't matter if he's not the best x and o guy. JACKSON skills fit what we need right now a culture change and player developnent. If AD leaves it doesn't matter who's coaching that will put us back 10 yrs

Toxic, curry and klay loved JACKSON. He had issues with assistant that undermined his authority and got rid of them coach like any coach would. It wasn't until he argued with executive that he got fired like any owner would a coach.

U come off as the guy that gives more credit to phil Jackson's triangle system than u do to Jordan Shaq kobe or pippen

I will admit he needed a better coaching staff with more experience
    Draymond is not the only example of Kerr's superiority at crafting lineups, adjusting based on evidence and optimizing his system to his players. I already mentioned several times his adjustments to the Grizzlies as a specific tactical adjustment you never saw from someone like Jackson. Or Kerr's shifting of the standard lineups, moving Iggy to the bench and of course the play breakdowns. Then the individual player shifts like moving Harrison Barnes away from being an isolation player, which he struggled with under Jackson.

You frame it like Draymond was the only reason things got better. That and giving all the credit to the players when it suits your bias, then doing a 180 and giving all the credit to Jackson when that suits your bias. With no respect to the coach being able to recognize and put those players in positions to succeed. But go back and watch those videos. One was BEFORE the Draymond emergence. The changes were already evident. Even if you refuse to acknowledge Kerr's ability to maximize Green's emerging talent. Even though both of us acknowledge Green's initial rise was a product of circumstance.

On to the organizational dysfunction that I argue Jackson fostered. He didn't just have issues with assistants, he had issues with the GM, low level staffers and occasionally other players. He was noted on multiple occasions and from multiple sources as being someone that struggled with game to game preparation and game planning. His overarching strategy during his tenure was "us vs the world." Worked great as a motivation, but eventually Jackson began weaponizing that motto to turn it on the very organization that hired him. Against his own staff and his own employees. This really isn't up for debate but you have seemingly dodged directly addressing it. Instead trying to downplay and shift blame.

And that is the sort of person you want to take over this franchise? As someone that has continually pointed to teams like the Spurs who operate on a tight, participatory, co-operative relationship between all levels of the organization. Something Bob Myers, the GM that fired Jackson, also embraces heavily. A GM that followed up that firing by winning a championship. So you are questioning the judgement of a championship winning GM. Just keep that in mind as well.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-03-2017 at 11:24 PM.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...d-coaching-job

I think he's going to have a hard time getting hired again in the NBA," said Lowe on his podcast. "The craziness of how his last year went in Golden State and some of the stuff that has come out since... I think it would take a superstar player going into ownership (saying) 'my time here depends on you hiring Mark Jackson.
    "I just know this: that if a team does background research on Mark with his old employers, it's going to be a hard hurdle for him to clear," said Brian Windhorst. "That's not me. That's people who might be hiring him have told me."
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/...sons-joe-lacob

Lacob hinted at Jackson's icy relationship with the majority of the organization when he fired the coach, telling Tim Kawakami of the Mercury News:

Look, I don't think we should get into the great details of what did happen, other than to say that this is a decision that was based on what was good for the organization as a whole.

And when I say the organization as a whole I don't mean just the team and just the 15 players that are involved and the coaching staff. I mean everybody. There's 200 employees here.

So when we look at the organization going forward and the kind of coach we want and... not just the performance but everything else, all these factors matter. We took all that account.
    Great comparison of Kerr's offense (2015) vs. Jackson's offense: http://www.warriorsworld.net/2015/01...vs-steve-kerr/

Offense is another story. Kerr’s offense is the antithesis of Jackson’s. On a simple level, Kerr’s offense has surged the Warriors from 10th in the NBA in points per game to 1st.
    Last season the Warriors played the 6th quickest tempo in the NBA, averaging 98.5 possessions per game. Under Kerr the Warriors have become the fastest pace in the league at 101.3 possessions per game. This directly correlates to Curry & Friends moving from 11th in the NBA in fast break points per game to 1st. With help from offensive coordinator Alvin Gentry (also, shoutout to Luke Walton), Kerr has built an offense which employs pace to wear down opponents.
    By “placement”, I mean the Warriors are getting to the spots on the court where their offense is most successful and efficient. Yes, this involves shooting 3s, but it’s a crime to label the Warriors as wholly dependent on the trey. In fact, the Warriors are getting to the basket more frequently -last campaign they were 11th in the NBA in points in the paints, now they’re 3rd.
    Did you know that last season the Warriors were LAST in the NBA in passes per game? Seriously. Last year the Detroit Pistons started three post-players and still moved the ball more than the Warriors. In perhaps Steve Kerr’s most important feat, the Warriors are now 10th in the NBA in passes per game and lead the league in assists per game.
    More on Jackson's ineptitude as a coach: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c0e832a69fe7

The criticism centers on Jackson running an offense straight from his early-’90s playing days, relying on endless isolations and post-ups (two of the least-efficient methods of scoring) and eschewing the ball and player movement his roster seems built for.
    The other major on-court criticism of Jackson was his inability to properly stagger lineups. Though the data is somewhat skewed by the fact that Iguodala missed 19 games, Bogut 16 and Curry five, the Warriors still averaged just less than 10 minutes per game with none of their three best players on the court, and in those minutes, Golden State was outscored by 9.9 points/100 possessions (per NBAWOWY).
    Conclusion: Mark Jakson is terrible.

./end thread (please).
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-04-2017 at 12:05 AM.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Gentry is probably a better coach than Jackson. May be better than Monty. We need to see the next 10 games with players healthy to get a fair sense of gentry. I like him but if he gets fired we better get a phenomenal coach to replace him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather have the King Cake Baby as coach than Mark Jackson...

Draymond is not the only example of Kerr's superiority at crafting lineups, adjusting based on evidence and optimizing his system to his players. I already mentioned several times his adjustments to the Grizzlies as a specific tactical adjustment you never saw from someone like Jackson. Or Kerr's shifting of the standard lineups, moving Iggy to the bench and of course the play breakdowns. Then the individual player shifts like moving Harrison Barnes away from being an isolation player, which he struggled with under Jackson.

You frame it like Draymond was the only reason things got better. That and giving all the credit to the players when it suits your bias, then doing a 180 and giving all the credit to Jackson when that suits your bias. With no respect to the coach being able to recognize and put those players in positions to succeed. But go back and watch those videos. One was BEFORE the Draymond emergence. The changes were already evident. Even if you refuse to acknowledge Kerr's ability to maximize Green's emerging talent. Even though both of us acknowledge Green's initial rise was a product of circumstance.

On to the organizational dysfunction that I argue Jackson fostered. He didn't just have issues with assistants, he had issues with the GM, low level staffers and occasionally other players. He was noted on multiple occasions and from multiple sources as being someone that struggled with game to game preparation and game planning. His overarching strategy during his tenure was "us vs the world." Worked great as a motivation, but eventually Jackson began weaponizing that motto to turn it on the very organization that hired him. Against his own staff and his own employees. This really isn't up for debate but you have seemingly dodged directly addressing it. Instead trying to downplay and shift blame.

And that is the sort of person you want to take over this franchise? As someone that has continually pointed to teams like the Spurs who operate on a tight, participatory, co-operative relationship between all levels of the organization. Something Bob Myers, the GM that fired Jackson, also embraces heavily. A GM that followed up that firing by winning a championship. So you are questioning the judgement of a championship winning GM. Just keep that in mind as well.
    Question would u have good things to say about the boss that fired u. Assistants that were fired wont have good thinks to say. He fired assistants that consistently questioned his authority. Him being fired by the GM CAME FROM OWNERSHIP. After arguments with executives who by the way are know to have very strong personality themselves.the owner decided to fire him. You can find countless players,media and coaches in support of JACKSON many thinking that he would of went on the same run with that team. Sometimes personalitys don't work well together and ppl rub u the wrong way for no reason.two ppl with strong personality clashed and the boss won the battle

But back to the reason I like JACKSON as an option
    He helped change the culture of the franchise and developed young stars. TO KEEP AD WE NEED A CHANGE OF CULTURE AND PLAYER HE BELIEVES HE CAN WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP WITH IN THE NEAR FUTURE. Jackson was defensive minded and should of hired an more seasoned assistant to offense. BUT GENTRY JUST ISO AD NOW.

We need an us vs the world mindset right now

They're somethings I like about jackson and something's I hate but to me it seems that everyone ignores the GREAT THINGS he did for the warriors which was a joke before he arrived and an championship contending team upon his departure in only three years.

We have a couple years before AD start to really complain and wants out. So let get a coach that can develop some player, keep AD happy and build a team that can win a championship and if a new coach is needed let's cross that bridge when we come to it

Despite all the evidence of how terrible Jackson is, you're still advocating for us to hire him. Dude, just admit it was a stupid idea and drop it.

I'm convinced that rameythegreat is just Mark Jackson advocating for himself to get a job.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...d-coaching-job

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/12/...sons-joe-lacob

Great comparison of Kerr's offense (2015) vs. Jackson's offense: http://www.warriorsworld.net/2015/01...vs-steve-kerr/

More on Jackson's ineptitude as a coach: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c0e832a69fe7

Conclusion: Mark Jakson is terrible.

./end thread (please).
    Mic. Drop.

Post #46 on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CarnbY View Post
    I'd rather have the King Cake Baby as coach than Mark Jackson...
    I rather have Baby Cakes as my head coach than Mark Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Despite all the evidence of how terrible Jackson is, you're still advocating for us to hire him. Dude, just admit it was a stupid idea and drop it.
    Top 5 defense
    Top 15 offense
    Isn't terrible
    Some coaches are defensive minded while others focus on offense. JACKSON focused on defense. Kerr was more offensive minded and did very little to improve the warriors defense. Wasn't the pelicans focus defense this year signing guys to improve that side of the ball. The disrespect towards what JACKSON did in golden state taking a team that has missed the playoffs for years before he got there and turning them into a young championship contending team in 3 yrs.Pelicans fans should want that instead of the mediocre stop gap coaches we've gotten so far that always need something that we don't have to win in N.O..

Some Pelicans fans have this arrogance that star coaches and players want to work here and it's not the case. We have to build from the ground up. Build our own stars. Can anyone dispute the culture change that JACKSON had with the warriors and the young stars he developed

Isn't that the top two things the pelicans need right now

Winning culture to attract free agent's
    Young stars to keep A.D. happy and in New Orleans

Or should we stay in rebuild mode every year

Top 5 defense
    Top 15 offense
    Isn't terrible
    Some coaches are defensive minded while others focus on offense. JACKSON focused on defense. Kerr was more offensive minded and did very little to improve the warriors defense. Wasn't the pelicans focus defense this year signing guys to improve that side of the ball. The disrespect towards what JACKSON did in golden state taking a team that has missed the playoffs for years before he got there and turning them into a young championship contending team in 3 yrs.Pelicans fans should want that instead of the mediocre stop gap coaches we've gotten so far that always need something that we don't have to win in N.O..

Some Pelicans fans have this arrogance that star coaches and players want to work here and it's not the case. We have to build from the ground up. Build our own stars. Can anyone dispute the culture change that JACKSON had with the warriors and the young stars he developed

Isn't that the top two things the pelicans need right now

Winning culture to attract free agent's
    Young stars to keep A.D. happy and in New Orleans

Or should we stay in rebuild mode every year
    But the players, and coaches did not like Jackson.

stop this thread

Quote Originally Posted by PolishFan View Post
    stop this thread
    Everybody answer to my thread is "I like kerr better."

So I'll ask again is JACKSON 12th offense an 4th defense better than GENTRY 18 offense and 27 th defense

Who's better at developing players JACKSON or GENTRY

Who's a better head coach JACKSON or GENTRY

And what coach can we get to develop young star (unless u feel we don't need young stars) and what coach can change our culture and has proven it. ( unless I think this is a prime free agency location that WILL COME COACH OUR TEAM NOT THE BEST COACH IN THE NBA

If u have a name that makes more sense I'll take him too I feel GENTRY can't get it done for us

You are becoming insufferable with the way you refuse to discuss your own thread and premises genuinely.

It is not a question of Gentry vs Jackson, it is a question of Gentry vs every single possible candidate that is out there.

You have failed spectacularly at making the actual case that needs to be made, that Jackson is the best possible replacement for Gentry long-term. When challenged on your assumptions and assertions with sourced evidence and logical breakdowns about Jackson's failings and issues you just ignore it like some poorly trained PR director trying to knight for their employer but looking like a fraud. At this point i have to assume it is simply ego or trolling that keeps this going. As you haven't convinced a single person of your case. So perhaps either re-visit your own biases and work through it, or just continue dragging this along as you ruin any credibility you will have going forward.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 01-09-2017 at 12:52 AM.

You are becoming insufferable with the way you refuse to discuss your own thread and premises genuinely.

It is not a question of Gentry vs Jackson, it is a question of Gentry vs every single possible candidate that is out there.

You have failed spectacularly at making the actual case that needs to be made, that Jackson is the best possible replacement for Gentry long-term. When challenged on your assumptions and assertions with sourced evidence and logical breakdowns about Jackson's failings and issues you just ignore it like some poorly trained PR director trying to knight for their employer but looking like a fraud. At this point i have to assume it is simply ego or trolling that keeps this going. As you haven't convinced a single person of your case. So perhaps either re-visit your own biases and work through it, or just continue dragging this along as you ruin any credibility you will have going forward.
    Never said JACKSON was the optimal long term option for our franchise

My focus is on the next 3-4 years if Anthony Davis contract. The things i believe we need to keep him past his current contract Because if he leaves it sets out franchise back 5-10 years. Because star player especially in this era want to win and dont mind leaving to do it.

My recommendation for JACKSON took into account that the upper echelon of available coaches won't come coach here. How many coaches didn't give us an interview during our last coaching search. Was GENTRY anyone's first option?

My top priorities to keep Anthony Davis in New Orleans past his current contract in order

1.young developed drafted stars he believes he can lead to a championship.
    2.coach that can create an winning culture to attract free agent's
    3.coach that can improve Davis all around skill level
    4 coach that can improve defensive ranking
    5 coach that can improve our offense ranking

I hesitate to put an unproven NBA coach from college like mark few or caliperi because if it doesn't work it increases Davis's chances of leaving

Asst..like cassel or Ewing I like but I worry they'll struggle to change our culture.

Former coaches like McHale or van Gundy are not known for developing young stars. if jackson is off the table I would rather keep GENTRY

Has everyone forgotten how bad the warriors were before JACKSON got there. He gave that franchise a winning mindset. Guided them to 50 wins I can't remember the last time we had 50 victorys. Took a team at the bottom of the western conference and Helped make them contenders in only 3 years and to have ppl just dismiss his accomplishments.

He didn't watch film which is dumb but u would be surprised how many head coaches dont watch film and rely on asst. For that.

He was too defensive minded I've agreed
    But he was fired mainly because he fought with ownership. And the lost in the 1st round after bogut got hurt didn't stop the bleeding enough to keep his job

So I ask if u dont like jackson. Then who do u think should be our next coach that will consider coaching here or should we keep gentry

Never said JACKSON was the optimal long term option for our franchise

My focus is on the next 3-4 years if Anthony Davis contract. The things i believe we need to keep him past his current contract Because if he leaves it sets out franchise back 5-10 years. Because star player especially in this era want to win and dont mind leaving to do it.

My recommendation for JACKSON took into account that the upper echelon of available coaches won't come coach here. How many coaches didn't give us an interview during our last coaching search. Was GENTRY anyone's first option?

My top priorities to keep Anthony Davis in New Orleans past his current contract in order

1.young developed drafted stars he believes he can lead to a championship.
    2.coach that can create an winning culture to attract free agent's
    3.coach that can improve Davis all around skill level
    4 coach that can improve defensive ranking
    5 coach that can improve our offense ranking

I hesitate to put an unproven NBA coach from college like mark few or caliperi because if it doesn't work it increases Davis's chances of leaving

Asst..like cassel or Ewing I like but I worry they'll struggle to change our culture.

Former coaches like McHale or van Gundy are not known for developing young stars. if jackson is off the table I would rather keep GENTRY

Has everyone forgotten how bad the warriors were before JACKSON got there. He gave that franchise a winning mindset. Guided them to 50 wins I can't remember the last time we had 50 victorys. Took a team at the bottom of the western conference and Helped make them contenders in only 3 years and to have ppl just dismiss his accomplishments.

He didn't watch film which is dumb but u would be surprised how many head coaches dont watch film and rely on asst. For that.

He was too defensive minded I've agreed
    But he was fired mainly because he fought with ownership. And the lost in the 1st round after bogut got hurt didn't stop the bleeding enough to keep his job

So I ask if u dont like jackson. Then who do u think should be our next coach that will consider coaching here or should we keep gentry
    Anyone but Mark Jackson.

Thread Information