Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 NCAA Basketball/Draft Prospect Discussion

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by neitzelbaby12 View Post
    Pure hypothetical but if we land top 3, would you rather keep it and draft Jackson/Ball/Fultz/Tatum/Smith or trade it for PG13, John Wall, Boogie(if any of these players are even available)?
    If an established superstar was available trade the pick.

Pure hypothetical but if we land top 3, would you rather keep it and draft Jackson/Ball/Fultz/Tatum/Smith or trade it for PG13, John Wall, Boogie(if any of these players are even available)?
    If PG13 or Wall was available for the pick alone, I'd absolutely make that trade. If it cost us Buddy and other assets also, I'd just keep the pick. I wouldn't trade the pick for Boogie, as much as I love his game.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I would trade it for Paul George. We get a guy like George and resign Jrue or trade pick for George and trade Jrue plus another piece for Noel. Get a solid vet pg in free agency.

Get more shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly dont see how this draft class is that strong either. To say it's one of strongest in the last decade is pretty far fetched imo.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I honestly dont see how this draft class is that strong either. To say it's one of strongest in the last decade is pretty far fetched imo.
    Maybe the top end talent is really good but it's not that deep?

idk

And btw I watch alot of college basketball alot of the highly talented recruitments are not breaking away with the "omg" talent level yet except lonzo ball and maybe Fultz, which is due to him being on a bad team.

Issac honestly looks really really raw IMO, Giles cannot get on the floor, Smith is looking OK, Jackson and Tatum have been fine, but so far none of these kids has blown me away. Even the top ranked Bigs for Duke and Kentucky have looked pretty sub par.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    Maybe the top end talent is really good but it's not that deep?

idk
    It's a deep draft but people are really overeating this draft class tbh. It's not that good. It's deep, but not superstar level deep.

Not gonna lie, i would trade our pick this year and next for myles turner. Dude is the perfect compliment to AD. Would be the best pf/c duo for years.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by JrueDat View Post
    Not gonna lie, i would trade our pick this year and next for myles turner. Dude is the perfect compliment to AD. Would be the best pf/c duo for years.

I agree, I would trade picks for Gordon Hayward or Myles Turner

Check that, I would trade all the roster except AD and all the picks necessary to get both George and Turner from the pacers. Get me that front court and fill it up with D league or overseas players and I'm fine

But would the Pacers or Jazz do it....no.

Short of trading our pick for a superstar (which, personally, I'd prefer not to do unless it was for the pick straight up), it looks like we have 4 relatively realistic options:

1. Resign Jrue and draft a SF. Tatum or Jackson would obviously be ideal here. I guess we could also draft a center, but there doesn't seem to be as much high end talent at C and we already have so much money tied up in the position.

2. Trade Jrue for Wilson Chandler or some facsimile of him and draft a PG. Fultz and Ball being the two preferred candidates with a few prospects on the tier below.

3. Trade Jrue for Noel and draft a PG or SF. We'd basically be forced to resign Noel if this happened.

4. Let Jrue go in FA for nothing and have me jump off the CCC while we try to draft Austin Rivers again.

Obviously all of these trades would be more complicated than just 1 for ones, but I think that they all lie in the realm of possibility. Which situation would y'all prefer? Or are there other alternatives I didn't think of?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I disagree. I think you can still get all-star level prospects from picks 6-10. I think its a much deeper draft than most. And luckily most of the top prospects play a position of need SF and PG( which is only a need if we dont resign Jrue). There's not an AD in this class, but there rarely is.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I disagree. I think you can still get all-star level prospects from picks 6-10. I think its a much deeper draft than most. And luckily most of the top prospects play a position of need SF and PG( which is only a need if we dont resign Jrue). There's not an AD in this class, but there rarely is.
    It seems like there is always so much change as to who is going to go where in the draft after the first couple spots even during the draft, which we're unlikely to get, and beyond that although in general the likelihood of quality goes down, there have been real gems that don't even get drafted so I agree that we could land all-star potential this draft, and to me, I think you have to really hit on this draft for the organization to have hope of building around AD. I was curious as to what picks 6-10 looked like in recent drafts so I made a list from 2009 to 2013, assuming 2014 might be hard to tell the final quality of players, as their quality is still fairly volatile.

There are 25 players that were drafted in those 5 drafts between pick 6 and 10. To make this fun, go to this site and see what number you get. http://numbergenerator.org/randomnumberbetween1and25

Here is who you drafted:

1 Jonny Flynn
    2 Stephen Curry
    3 Jordan Hill
    4 DeMar DeRozan
    5 Brandon Jennings
    6 Ekpe Udoh
    7 Greg Monroe
    8 Al-Farouq Aminu
    9 Gordon Hayward
    10 Paul George
    11 Jan VeselĂ˝
    12 Bismack Biyombo
    13 Brandon Knight
    14 Kemba Walker
    15 Jimmer Fredette
    16 Damian Lillard
    17 Harrison Barnes
    18 Terrence Ross
    19 Andre Drummond
    20 Austin Rivers
    21 Nerlens Noel
    22 Ben McLemore
    23 Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
    24 Trey Burke
    25 C.J. McCollum

I tried three times and got Jordan Hill twice and Jimmer once. That's just my luck.

In my opinion there are 7-8 real game changers here, so if our pick lands somewhere in that vicinity, based from those drafts, we have around a 30% chance of landing a player who could turn this around, and some of these players took a couple years to develop. That is honestly lower than I thought, but that is part of the folly of tanking on a timetable I guess.

The other thing to consider is how much you believe that the location of where the draft pick goes affects their development. I do think that there are some guys on that list that came out better or worse because of the situation they were put into. I think overall we're a bit of a negative (not Sacramento level but not great) when it comes to a location to develop because we're trying to win now, yet not winning which usually isn't great for rookie development because we are likely to play larger minutes to vets with lower ceilings.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    I got bored and was messing around on Tankathon.com, and assuming we get the 6th or so pick, their mock draft said we would pick Jonathan Isaac.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/jonathan-isaac

Any thoughts? Looks good to me.

The Franchise
    I like top 5-6 players (Fultz, Jackson, Tatum, Ball, Smith and OG) I'm praying to get 1, 76ers get 3, and Boston gets 5. We trade down twice pickup all kinds of assets and still get Tatum who is who I want.

Who do y'all think is going to be the best player in this draft? I didn't like Tatum at first but after doing more research I think he's going to be a major player. He has a huge wingspan and has the fundamentals of basketball down. 3 point shooting, scoring in ISO, great passer and very good defender with high BBIQ. Solid rebounder too. He's not Kevin Durant but his offense and body type reminds me of Paul George. Maybe not as athletic though.

If we move Jrue then I would hope we could land Lonzo Ball or Lultz for our new pg. both look very good. I would pick Ball over Lultz as of now. He just plays like a pure point guard.

I really think we need an upgrade at pg.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Who do y'all think is going to be the best player in this draft? I didn't like Tatum at first but after doing more research I think he's going to be a major player. He has a huge wingspan and has the fundamentals of basketball down. 3 point shooting, scoring in ISO, great passer and very good defender with high BBIQ. Solid rebounder too. He's not Kevin Durant but his offense and body type reminds me of Paul George. Maybe not as athletic though.

If we move Jrue then I would hope we could land Lonzo Ball or Lultz for our new pg. both look very good. I would pick Ball over Lultz as of now. He just plays like a pure point guard.

I really think we need an upgrade at pg.

Either re-sign Jrue at 20mil and draft a stud SF, or don't re-sign Jrue and draft a stud PG at a fraction of the cost, but be stuck with Hill as starting SF.

Or, find a starter level PG somewhere and draft stud SF. I have no idea who's available doe

I've been able to see all of the top prospects play atleast one game, except for Jackson and Isaac. What are y'alls opinions on those two? Supposed to be 2 of the top 3 SF prospects, which is our biggest need.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I've been able to see all of the top prospects play atleast one game, except for Jackson and Isaac. What are y'alls opinions on those two? Supposed to be 2 of the top 3 SF prospects, which is our biggest need.
    Haven't seen either of them. I'm excited though. We could draft a very good player... some of the point guards in this draft are potentially better than Jrue. I'd like to see us somehow get a center via trade and then draft the best pg or SF available. I really think there are 3-5 star players in this draft. I believe we will get one of them. Hopefully it's a superstar.

Dennis Smith Jr Show.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

Very advanced game. Love his length too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post

Very advanced game. Love his length too.
    Tatum is the guy I want most right now. I think he'd be an amazing glue guy at the very least, but I think he could be around Jabari Parker type of impact in a few years.

I like Tatum, but his offensive game reminds me a lot of Melo, so I wonder if in the current NBA landscape he's not more suited to play as stretch 4.

Not impressed at all by Dennis Smith, yes he has balls and he can score but outside of that ? I didn't see any advanced skills on managing the game or using PNR. I would take Ball over him so far.

Another prospect I keep in mind is Frank Ntilikina. He just won the FIBA U18 european championship and despite being reported as battling the flu for the whole tournament he was named MVP and averaged 15,2ppg (FG 50%, 58% on 3P), 4,5apg, 2,8rpg, 2,2sgp, 1,2bpg in 28 mins. He also exploded in his last two games with perfomance like 23 (4/4 on 3s), 8 rebonds in semi-finals and 31 points (7/10 from 3), 3 assists in finals.

Here's a video of him in semi finals in his match up against the Italian PG Davide Moretti (on the all-tournament first team too) :
    https://t.co/I59xU8Oxxl

The ringer.com spoke also extensively on him in one of their last article :
    https://theringer.com/the-ringers-20...193#.rzcpn0bss

Quote Originally Posted by Blattman View Post
    I like Tatum, but his offensive game reminds me a lot of Melo, so I wonder if in the current NBA landscape he's not more suited to play as stretch 4.

Not impressed at all by Dennis Smith, yes he has balls and he can score but outside of that ? I didn't see any advanced skills on managing the game or using PNR. I would take Ball over him so far.

Another prospect I keep in mind is Frank Ntilikina. He just won the FIBA U18 european championship and despite being reported as battling the flu for the whole tournament he was named MVP and averaged 15,2ppg (FG 50%, 58% on 3P), 4,5apg, 2,8rpg, 2,2sgp, 1,2bpg in 28 mins. He also exploded in his last two games with perfomance like 23 (4/4 on 3s), 8 rebonds in semi-finals and 31 points (7/10 from 3), 3 assists in finals.

Here's a video of him in semi finals in his match up against the Italian PG Davide Moretti (on the all-tournament first team too) :
    https://t.co/I59xU8Oxxl

The ringer.com spoke also extensively on him in one of their last article :
    https://theringer.com/the-ringers-20...193#.rzcpn0bss
    Yes I also think he is a guy who could slide in at PF next to AD at C when he gets a little more mature. But I also see a little more diversity in his game than Melo, not near the iso star Melo has been.

I see a guy more confident handling the ball, initiating the break, and I have a soft spot for PF's who can rebound and start the break, gives your guards so much freedom and help a team like us play at the pace Gentry wants.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Smith hasn't been tested yet. You hardly see the man use that athleticism because he hardly has needed to. Saw a brief flash once or twice when he drove the lane. But as the season goes on, we'll see more of what he's got.

Thread Information