Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 NCAA Basketball/Draft Prospect Discussion

Draft 2016-2017 NCAA Basketball/Draft Prospect Discussion

Never too early to talk about the draft. Did anybody see the UNC-Kentucky game today? Oh man, that kid Monk was unstoppable. There is A LOT of freshman talent this year. Lonzo Ball is starting to look like a future NBA superstar with the way he's been playing.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm waiting for a big to step up and have a spectacular performance.

I'm suprised this thread has JUST been made. PR has been slipping lately.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Lonzo ball is a beast ! He reminds me of Jason kidd But with the range that kidd got late in his career .......and lonzo also has crazy hops to ..... But it's the pels ! It makes to much sense to draft him lol

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican337 View Post
    Lonzo ball is a beast ! He reminds me of Jason kidd But with the range that kidd got late in his career .......and lonzo also has crazy hops to ..... But it's the pels ! It makes to much sense to draft him lol
    I want him if Jrue is not the option. The question is who do you guys want. Ball or Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I want him if Jrue is not the option. The question is who do you guys want. Ball or Smith?
    Or Fultz. He's moved up to number one in some mocks, while Dennis Smith has slipped down 3-4 picks. I think all 3 have all-star potential.

It's hard to count on Drue ! Plus the whole "run it back therory " just doesn't work ..we have proof .....I say draft Ball over smith ...... Smith doesn't seem like a natural passer and looks a bit turnover prone . While ball is the playmaking PG that makes other better around him ...he maximizes your current roster more I think

I think this guy is the #1 overall pick. Hes so effortless, already making NBA style plays, very willing passer even though hes easily the best scorer on the team, always has his head up, handles contact, finishes at the rim, has post game, has mid range, has 3pt range. I haven't seen enough of him defensively to really form an opinion there, but I think hes a way more solid pro prospect than Smith Jr and Ball.

Should be interesting for sure. If the top SF. Jackson is off the board and one of these top PG's fall to us, we should probably take them unless Tatum really impresses. So if we pick Fultz, Ball or Smith Jr., I wonder what that would mean for the situation of re-signing Jrue Holiday..

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Should be interesting for sure. If the top SF. Jackson is off the board and one of these top PG's fall to us, we should probably take them unless Tatum really impresses. So if we pick Fultz, Ball or Smith Jr., I wonder what that would mean for the situation of re-signing Jrue Holiday..
    It's one of the really interesting decisions we'll have to make when the trade deadline comes.

With the range of picks we might fall under, I hope we can grab one of Jayson Tatum or OG Anunoby. Tatum is a very polished scorer while Anunoby is a monster athletically and defensively.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    Fultz is my boy. He and Buddy in the back court would be ideal. Of course, that could take some lottery success. But with all the point guards in the highouse lottery, I think we should definitely entertain offers for Holiday, as the chances of Ball, Fultz, Smith or even Monk, being there are high.
    @DanielVeuleman

Fultz is really intriguing to me(though I am still trying to get more games in as I have only got to watch a few prospects more then once or twice) and is making me re-think my ideal off season.

Jrue is too as well tbh.

Before recently I ideally wanted our roster to be Jrue, Hield, Josh Jackson, Davis, Diallo. With a bench of Frazier, Moore, Galloway, Q-pon and Hill. I guess with Asik if you can't move him which I doubt we could. Realistic but promising and one that actually looks like a cohesive unit without any glaring holes.

I am still not sold on Ball but Fultz looks like the real deal. An elite pg prospect brought up to be developed alongside AD could be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Fultz is really intriguing to me(though I am still trying to get more games in as I have only got to watch a few prospects more then once or twice) and is making me re-think my ideal off season.

Jrue is too as well tbh.

Before recently I ideally wanted our roster to be Jrue, Hield, Josh Jackson, Davis, Diallo. With a bench of Frazier, Moore, Galloway, Q-pon and Hill. I guess with Asik if you can't move him which I doubt we could. Realistic but promising and one that actually looks like a cohesive unit without any glaring holes.

I am still not sold on Ball but Fultz looks like the real deal. An elite pg prospect brought up to be developed alongside AD could be incredible.
    Wonder what kind of SF player Holiday could be traded for at the deadline, or sign & traded for after the draft..

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Wonder what kind of SF player Holiday could be traded for at the deadline, or sign & traded for after the draft..
    I'd be curious. I would imagine Rudy Gay is the obvious answer.

Other then that I guess it would need to be a team with a need for a PG and has a surplus of SF's they would be willing to part with. Or three/four team trades would be realistic....I just really don't want Demps being the guy to make that decision.

Ok seriously....ball may be great someday. Point guards in the NBA that are quality starters are not rookies. Are not second year guys. Are not even third or fourth year guys....look I will grant a few exceptions around the league...but for every Dennis schroder who's doing well in his first as a starter, there is a trey burke, a Johnny flynn, etc... Watching how guards have been developing over the last decade or so, guys like Jrue, Ricky rubio, these guys that take a few years to really get the speed and full approach to the pro game is the hope, with a bust most likely to occur.....deangelo Russell, elfrid Payton....these are rarities. So I want no part of a point guard regardless of how great he is being touted. The real path to a great team today A drafting top 6 which we will be is in the forwards that are stretching the floor like a 3 and posting up down low like a 5... This team needs a wing that can shoot and has size enough to play the four and complement AD. If I were in charge I go get the kid from UDUB. Or package the pick and get players and cap relief. If you can't get a true contributer and i mean quality starter and an instant third option from jump, then get out of this draft. Its a weak class and a better one follows next year. We just whiffed on a lottery 2 guard that was hyped as ready and the shooter we've missed, and he can't get 10 min to save his life....so.....as I said. No more guards. Go big men and length in the draft, get your guards in free agency and however else. Last guard we picked in the draft before this year...at least one this high....happened to be the greatest we ever had and will end up one of if not the best to play....and if you count JR Smith since he took forever to be something then your dumb...but truly...its been that long since a quality guard got drafted here...Marcus Thornton we let walk and hes it....totally done with watching guards we draft either fail and totally bust or goelsewhere and be what we wanted....id truly take this lottery pick and get a true center that's young and worth the pick....Philly's got a few too many....etc....find AD a real partner. Im a Nerlens Noel trade supporter and think Philly would do it, nothing in this draft class is close to Noel's potential and ceiling at the 5....Noel couldve gone first overall, is a year younger than AD, would only take up money that a farewell to asik, Ajinca, or Evans would provide...and save a top 2 or 3 pick this year, I do what I can to find a center ready Togo now. Not in four years.

Yea the more I think about it, a true solid, high talent and high IQ SF like Tatum would be a great fit and then re-sign Jrue and hope he can improve and be consistent now that he's fully healthy. And replacing these centers with two-way contributors there that fit the system and can switch on the PnR would be ideal.

Davis/
    S. Hill/ Diallo
    Tatum/
    Hield/ Moore
    Holiday/ Frazier

I am on mobile so can't grab a link, but in terms of bust potential, I am pretty sure the numbers suggest pretty heavily that top lottery PG have the lowest bust potential historically, statistically. At least in recent times.

Not saying that's why draft a PG or anything but just thought that was important with people throwing out Johnny Flynn and stuff.

Personally I am too more partial to small forwards all else being equal.

I'd much rather have to find a very good PG to go with my Kawhi Leonard then find a very good SF to go with my Chris Paul.

But if this draft looks to have an elite PG and some above average SF's. That will be more difficult for me to figure out.

I know I said in the thread I posted a couple days ago I said I would like to keep Jrue but the more I think about it, trading for a decent SF (like I said Wilson Chandler, Rudy Gay, etc.) and then drafting a PG seems like the way to go. PG usually is safe.

Ball/Frazier
    Buddy/Moore/Galloway
    Hill/QPon
    AD/Cunnigham
    Diallo/Asik/Ajincia

Average age of that starting lineup is just under 23 at the start of next season.
    Welcome to be here

Quote Originally Posted by Blindambition25 View Post
    Ok seriously....ball may be great someday. Point guards in the NBA that are quality starters are not rookies. Are not second year guys. Are not even third or fourth year guys....look I will grant a few exceptions around the league...but for every Dennis schroder who's doing well in his first as a starter, there is a trey burke, a Johnny flynn, etc... Watching how guards have been developing over the last decade or so, guys like Jrue, Ricky rubio, these guys that take a few years to really get the speed and full approach to the pro game is the hope, with a bust most likely to occur.....deangelo Russell, elfrid Payton....these are rarities. So I want no part of a point guard regardless of how great he is being touted. The real path to a great team today A drafting top 6 which we will be is in the forwards that are stretching the floor like a 3 and posting up down low like a 5... This team needs a wing that can shoot and has size enough to play the four and complement AD. If I were in charge I go get the kid from UDUB. Or package the pick and get players and cap relief. If you can't get a true contributer and i mean quality starter and an instant third option from jump, then get out of this draft. Its a weak class and a better one follows next year. We just whiffed on a lottery 2 guard that was hyped as ready and the shooter we've missed, and he can't get 10 min to save his life....so.....as I said. No more guards. Go big men and length in the draft, get your guards in free agency and however else. Last guard we picked in the draft before this year...at least one this high....happened to be the greatest we ever had and will end up one of if not the best to play....and if you count JR Smith since he took forever to be something then your dumb...but truly...its been that long since a quality guard got drafted here...Marcus Thornton we let walk and hes it....totally done with watching guards we draft either fail and totally bust or goelsewhere and be what we wanted....id truly take this lottery pick and get a true center that's young and worth the pick....Philly's got a few too many....etc....find AD a real partner. Im a Nerlens Noel trade supporter and think Philly would do it, nothing in this draft class is close to Noel's potential and ceiling at the 5....Noel couldve gone first overall, is a year younger than AD, would only take up money that a farewell to asik, Ajinca, or Evans would provide...and save a top 2 or 3 pick this year, I do what I can to find a center ready Togo now. Not in four years.
    There's so much wrong with this post, I don't know where to start. For one, this is NOT a weak draft class. This is one of the strongest classes of the last decade. Secondly, we did not just "whiff" on the Buddy pick. Have you watched the team lately? He is getting minutes and is shooting extremely well from the arc. He's really come on, as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    There's so much wrong with this post, I don't know where to start. For one, this is NOT a weak draft class. This is one of the strongest classes of the last decade. Secondly, we did not just "whiff" on the Buddy pick. Have you watched the team lately? He is getting minutes and is shooting extremely well from the arc. He's really come on, as of late.
    TBH I am more impressed you had the stamina to finish his entire post lol.

I had to give up a few lines in.

I am not a stickler for grammar or anything(I often post on mobile and am sure my english teachers would have plenty of issues), but some sentence structure and breaking multiple thoughts into paragraphs makes digesting a long post a lot easier IMO.

I didn't even get to the Buddy part because my eyes began to glaze over a bit. But yeah, calling any draft pick a bust after 30 games is a bit premature. Especially one that has only been trending upwards.

Banned

I am not a stickler for grammar or anything(I often post on mobile and am sure my english teachers would have plenty of issues), but some sentence structure and breaking multiple thoughts into paragraphs makes digesting a long post a lot easier IMO.

I didn't even get to the Buddy part because my eyes began to glaze over a bit. But yeah, calling any draft pick a bust after 30 games is a bit premature. Especially one that has only been trending upwards.
    This was you reading the post

I initially quit reading when he said this was a weak draft class, but I decided to keep reading to see if he was going somewhere with that long post. Spoiler alert: he wasn't.

I've gotten used to bad grammar and run on sentences, reading here as long as I have. I'm not always grammatically correct, but I try to make my posts legible and easy to follow. I judge a post on it's content and if the poster is clearly misinformed, I gotta say something.

Back to the topic at hand, I've been debating over the same strategies of roster construction as you. Should we resign Jrue and target a SF in the draft, while hoping Diallo can eventually become our other starting big next to AD? Or should we look to move Jrue for someone like Noel and target a PG in the draft, while hoping Hill will become a solid and consistent 3&D SF? I've gone back and forth on this. If we want to move Jrue before the trade deadline, we don't have the luxury of waiting to see where we land in the lottery. It's a really hard decision. I like Jrue and think he's a good, but not great, 2-way PG. His injury history just scares the hell out of me and even when he's healthy, I haven't seen anything to make me think he could ever make another all-star game, while he's in the west. AD, Buddy and Diallo are the only three players that I am sold on being long term pieces. I think a Fultz, Ball or Smith could make those three even better, but a SF like Jackson, Tatum, Isaac or Anunoby makes us a more complete team. It's a hard decision that someone (hopefully not Dell) will have to make soon. If I had to guess, we'll keep Jrue and go after one of them SF's I listed.

Pure hypothetical but if we land top 3, would you rather keep it and draft Jackson/Ball/Fultz/Tatum/Smith or trade it for PG13, John Wall, Boogie(if any of these players are even available)?

Thread Information