Pelicans Report

Thread: No more Cousins to save Gentry

No more Cousins to save Gentry

The last two games (all losses) are very telling. Before Cousin's injury the Pelicans were winning despite Gentry's coaching deficiencies. Now with
    Cousin's gone and only Davis left you cannot mask it anymore. As many have noted before the Pelicans are not a well coached team all around.
    They were winning on talent alone and not because they were outcoaching their opponents coaching staffs. Even when both all-stars were on the
    court they struggled to beat the bottom feeders of the NBA. No excuse for not beating the Clippers and Kings at home even without Cousins.
    Coaching almost blew the Rockets game. A good coach overcomes injuries and coaches his team to wins over very beatable teams like the Clippers
    and Kings.

I think the Norv Turner comparisons are apt.

He has put together a good staff and a great offensive system, but the moment to moment, game to game chess matches he is just not very good with. And over a full season he does things that just frustrate you with his lineups and rotations. Like the completely unaddressed issue with the starting 3rd quarter lineup.

Or showing that, hey, you know, Asik can still do what he has always been able to do: give you 10-15 minutes of hard defense, rebounding, and solid off-ball fundamentals.

Gentry has ruined this team. Talk about closing the gate after the horse has bolted

I just don’t understand...he always seems confused during his interviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Franchise
    I wish he’d adjust. I mean I like uptempo but it doesn’t have to be run every play. Slow the pace down especially when the backups are in.

Can a mod merge this with the 22 other threads repeating the same thing after a loss?

Buddy, Tyreke, and Galloway gone, Rondo, Clark, and Miller in. Remember the 34-48 team that the Pels had last season before the Boogie trade, they are back!
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Buddy, Tyreke, and Galloway gone, Rondo, Clark, and Miller in. Remember the 34-48 team that the Pels had last season before the Boogie trade, they are back!
    But with even more injuries! /sigh

I appreciate that you went to the effort of stating that the last two games played by the pelicans were in fact, all losses. Bringing facts to your post AND keeping those filthy casual fans up to date. Did you add line breaks to your post as well? You should change your username to stormbird, as much like the Koel you seem to call more around nasty weather.

Quote Originally Posted by stormcenter View Post
    The last two games (all losses) are very telling. Before Cousin's injury the Pelicans were winning despite Gentry's coaching deficiencies. Now with
    Cousin's gone and only Davis left you cannot mask it anymore. As many have noted before the Pelicans are not a well coached team all around.
    They were winning on talent alone and not because they were outcoaching their opponents coaching staffs. Even when both all-stars were on the
    court they struggled to beat the bottom feeders of the NBA. No excuse for not beating the Clippers and Kings at home even without Cousins.
    Coaching almost blew the Rockets game. A good coach overcomes injuries and coaches his team to wins over very beatable teams like the Clippers
    and Kings.
    Can’t disagree with this. Folks we are about to embark on a rough finish to the end of the season.

It's obvious we're in complete freefall now. Do we:

1. Trade the pick (and players) for a win now type player before the trade deadline?
    2. Trade the pick (and players) for a package of players with an eye for when hypothetically Boogie returns? Is this the same thing?
    3. Keep the pick because it's probably going to be better than it was a week ago?
    4. Trade the pick draft night?
    Last edited by AusPel; 01-31-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Hire Kidd, demote Gentry to an assistant

Gentry always been a one trick pony and never made teams better.

Quote Originally Posted by soggymoss View Post
    Hire Kidd, demote Gentry to an assistant
    Um.........

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Um.........
    Any better idea?? Gentry has to go from his position, the problem is Boogie and AD love him.. The only other option I can think of is try to pry Calipari away from Kentucky, but that would be expensive

He’s a .500 coach. That’s all he will ever be

Any better idea?? Gentry has to go from his position, the problem is Boogie and AD love him.. The only other option I can think of is try to pry Calipari away from Kentucky, but that would be expensive
    Anyone who didn't just get fired for being a terrible coach and by all accounts a bad person too.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    I think you stand pat. Let Gentry and Dell miss the playoffs. Take and use the lotto pick. Try to re-sign Cousins. Hire a new GM and new coach.

Sounds like a plan, now let's see if Loomis/Benson can follow through with it. Demps has mortgaged the team's future too many times now and only has
    1 playoff appearance to show for it. The Cousins deal is now not looking so good anymore with the injury and him being a FA next season. I don't need to
    say anything more about why Gentry needs to move on too.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    I think you stand pat. Let Gentry and Dell miss the playoffs. Take
    and use the lotto pick. Try to re-sign Cousins. Hire a new GM and new coach.

We need to go all in on Coach Cal.. not only would we be able to keep AD and Boogie but the potential for other UK stars like Wall and Booker seeing us as a top destination is what's most exciting. Unless we can somehow land another star I don't see us being successful if we fire Gentry and Demps.. I feel it would give AD a good excuse to leave with no stability in the organization going on his 3rd coach and Boogie feeling like he has to start all over again.. Coach Cal seems to be the only way to keep this ship sailing in the right direction.. we would instantly become one of the most popular teams in the NBA and again have some UK stars lining up to come play here.. in a way bringing him in kind of reminds me of Pete Carrol going to the Seahawks.. both failed there first time in the pros while being dominant college coaches. Most importantly his players love him and would be very attractive.. we would have some tough decisions deciding on which UK player we want to complete this team haha.. if I had to pick I'm going with Booker. Perfect fit for Cal and a perfect fit for the Pels
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-31-2018 at 04:13 PM.

coach Cal come on down!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
    coach Cal come on down!!!!
    Biggest problem I see there is money.. He's already making 8 million a year at UK.. Would we pay him more than that to come here?

Thread Information