Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DeMarcus Cousins

Breaking News DeMarcus Cousins

Boogie out for the reminder of the season with a torn Achilles ... per ESPN

The devastation is real over here. I can’t believe how sad tonight has made me. Can’t have anything nice!
    RIP FlyGirl

We had something going ... Tough loss for the franchise. This is pretty devastating
    Dell Demps PLEASE get us some scorers!

WoW!! This absolutely blows!! I tore my Achilles twice and that was the first thing I said to my friend when I saw him trying to walk.. I said it looks like he blew his Achilles because he was able to even put pressure on it and had a very tough time getting to the locker room.. sad news for the Pels.. only positive I can even hold on to at the moment is this might give us a better chance at resigning him in the offseason.. I don't believe we would seriously contend until next year anyway but was really looking forward to see us in the playoffs..

The problem is now teams were getting a taste of the problems they caused. Now there might be a run on bigs in the west over the summer.

Including serious sales pitches to get Cousins out of here.

#Pelslife

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    The problem is now teams were getting a taste of the problems they caused. Now there might be a run on bigs in the west over the summer.

Including serious sales pitches to get Cousins out of here.
    I cannot imagine too many teams are going to be lining up to give him a max contract coming off of an achilles tear.

Irrational Optimist Contributor neworleanshoo's Avatar
    #Cursed.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    I cannot imagine too many teams are going to be lining up to give him a max contract coming off of an achilles tear.
    He's extremely talented. He'll be 28.

Getting a torn achilles is not career changer in the least. He might start off slow next year but he'll be back to himself in short order. Where is this coming from??

I feel a range of emotions...and none of them are pleasant. The magic was returning to the SKC...and this
    Tanking since 2009

Wildlife Aviation Group

We saw a glimmer this season. We will still play hard but won't sell the farm to win big this season. All moves will be geared towards the future. Wouldn't be surprised to see us slip to a low seed and let the trade pieces/young guys get playing time to gather strength for next season.
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    Yeah they will. He's not some PG who relies on quickness and explosiveness.

He's a below the rim big man with a great jumper. He's never relied on athleticism.

Blowing his ACL would have been worse. He'll come back and be near the same as his type of game isn't impacted from this. Maybe quit the drive off the bounce from the 3pt line but that's fine. Wil protect his knees.

Cats like Duncan and Malone were ballers into their 30's and couldn't jump over a pack of cigs.

I think if we can make a move to get someone like Hood or Fournier then do it. I don't see any reason to try and make some move like before to make a run. Getting someone that can help us for next season is what's important if not our focus should be on getting rid of our bad contracts while getting Jackson and Diallo so PT to see what we got in them for next season. I still want to make the playoffs and it would be great experience for everybody but our focus needs to shift a little imo.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I think if we can make a move to get someone like Hood or Fournier then do it. I don't see any reason to try and make some move like before to make a run. Getting someone that can help us for next season is what's important if not our focus should be on getting rid of our bad contracts while getting Jackson and Diallo so PT to see what we got in them for next season. I still want to make the playoffs and it would be great experience for everybody but our focus needs to shift a little imo.
    I would love to add Monroe and Hood to help us out while Boogie is out. Get well Boogie!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I agree with this. And there’s no trade available that will net us a player of Cousins Caliber . It’s still pretty stunning . We were literally a wing player away from being legit.

I feel the worst for Demarcus Cousins.

I feel the 1B worst for Dell Demps. The man just can't catch a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I would love to add Monroe and Hood to help us out while Boogie is out. Get well Boogie!
    Yes I would absolutely love this move.. Monroe would be a great fill in and cost us nothing.. Hood is my prize piece and would still be great to get him now so he can adjust and get comfortable in the system along with the players.. I heard Skal is on the trade block with the Kings.. man I would absolutely love to bring that kid in and possibly have him work as our 3rd big with AD and Cousins. He can play with both guys and would really benefit training and learning from those guys. He has a ton of talent and hasn't even scratched the surface of it. IMO we would be the best place in the NBA for him to go. I just wanna see us build towards next season while still being competitive now.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I feel the worst for Demarcus Cousins.

I feel the 1B worst for Dell Demps. The man just can't catch a break.
    No joke. Dell gets a lot of crap but he also has been routinely put behind the 8ball due to injuries completely out of his control.

He was probably looking to add wing depth for a playoff run and now all his plans have completely been flipped.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I don't know how anyone can watch the way Cousins plays basketball, at his size, and not recognize that blowing his achilles is career altering. I don't know of a player in the NBA who has had that injury and been as effective at any point post injury as they were before. Elton Brand is the comp I keep coming up with and he was never ever the same.

Boogie is also a big dude that had to put in a lot of conditioning work over the summer just to huff and puff up the court through a lot of the first half of this season. I can't imagine we will see anything resembling the Boogie we saw tonight or in his epic game against the Bulls, at in the 18/19 season. IF we ever see it again.

But maybe Boogie comes back and changes his game and becomes more of a post player than what he's been. Maybe if he's not playing away from the basket and driving to the goal, he'll have fewer turnovers. I think he'll have to develop a new game, and it could be effective, but it won't be what we've seen.

Tough break for Boogie. Looked like he might finally have a chance at playing in the playoffs and heading into free agency. Hope he's able to rebound from this.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I don't know how anyone can watch the way Cousins plays basketball, at his size, and not recognize that blowing his achilles is career altering. I don't know of a player in the NBA who has had that injury and been as effective at any point post injury as they were before. Elton Brand is the comp I keep coming up with and he was never ever the same.

Boogie is also a big dude that had to put in a lot of conditioning work over the summer just to huff and puff up the court through a lot of the first half of this season. I can't imagine we will see anything resembling the Boogie we saw tonight or in his epic game against the Bulls, at in the 18/19 season. IF we ever see it again.

But maybe Boogie comes back and changes his game and becomes more of a post player than what he's been. Maybe if he's not playing away from the basket and driving to the goal, he'll have fewer turnovers. I think he'll have to develop a new game, and it could be effective, but it won't be what we've seen.
    People said the same thing about Paul George when he tore and broke everything in his knee. He looks better than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I don't know of a player in the NBA who has had that injury and been as effective at any point post injury as they were before.
    Dominique Wilkins
    Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    People said the same thing about Paul George when he tore and broke everything in his knee. He looks better than ever.
    That isn't a logical comparison at all. Entirely different injuries and body types.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Should the question be asked? Did Gentry's style of play, asking a 270 pound center to play at such a pace for 36.2 minutes a night, contribute to Cousins body breaking down? No player of his size has ever been asked to play this fast. I realize this was a fluke injury but, the stress put on the lower body in this scheme of such a large person has to take its toll.
    It's that the Hornets unashamedly quit so quickly in Game 4 after fans in New Orleans showed up this season with greater regularity than the team could have ever dreamed, shaming misinformed know-it-alls like me who kept telling you that local residents couldn't possibly invest their time and money into something as trivial as rooting for the local basketball team while still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. - Mark Stien ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redrum View Post
    Should the question be asked? Did Gentry's style of play, asking a 270 pound center to play at such a pace for 36.2 minutes a night, contribute to Cousins body breaking down? No player of his size has ever been asked to play this fast. I realize this was a fluke injury but, the stress put on the lower body in this scheme of such a large person has to take its toll.
    Is it possible that Boogie's recent minutes contributed to his injury? Yes. The same discussion took place when Kobe blow out his achilles.

But it's impossible to know.
    Last edited by PelsFan2313; 01-26-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Thread Information