Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Our Starting PG to Open the Season

Our Starting PG to Open the Season

First, Prayers to Jrue's family. Everyone is hoping things go well.

Now, since we know Jrue will at least miss some time to start the season, who will end up being the starter?

Do we go with Frazier as a true PG or maybe Buddy has shown enough with Ball movement that you can start more of a combo guard like Galloway/Moore?

This explains why the Pelicans were looking at even more depth for the guards recently as all 4 will play heavy minutes to start the season.

My initial gut feeling is it will be Frazier, but what does everyone else think?

He does know more of the system and he did play well at the end of last season

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    2017-2018 Finals MVP: Jrue Holiday

I think the only way it's not Frazier is if there is a move made to bring someone else in. This seems to suggest that their interest in Lawson and Stephenson is/was real.

EVANS

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    EVANS
    I hope so. Otherwise I hope they rummage through the dumpster for a replacement and fire up the double secret tank for real. I like Frazier but would prefer to see someone a little beefier starting. No reason to get him hurt too.

Fraizer deserves the start. I think he can hold us over until Jrue or Evans returns.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Fraizer deserves the start.
    I reckon there is something to be said for that too, though. In terms of morale and placing trust in their players.

I'm fine with this depth chart heading into training camp:

PG: Tim Frazier, Langston Galloway, *Jrue Holiday
    SG: Buddy Hield, E'twaun Moore, Shawn Dawson,*Tyreke Evans

Praying for Jrue, Lauren and their child.

Who the heck is Dawson and how is he supposed to be on our team?

Also. Evans isn't an option AFAIK because Gentry came out and said he won't be ready for the season's start.

Galloway could start at PG. He has the most experience starting over the last two years. He also is longer and bigger than Frazier so could probably match up against starting PGs easier.

Moore I think will be pushing for SG minutes instead of PG. it's interesting because I think both guard spots are open as to who starts and who backs up ATM. But I do think we know who the competition will be between:

PG: Galloway/Frazier
    SG: Hield/Moore

Shawn Dawson is coming to training camp and is vying for either the 14th or 15th roster spot. I want Tim starting with Galloway boosting the bench scoring.

NORRIS COLE

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think Frazier has a lot of talent and is a great passer. But, Galloway is bigger, more athletic, good defender, and he can handle the point. This is what I see.. For now...

Pg: Galloway, Frazier
    SG: Buddy, Moore
    SF: Hill, Gee
    PF: AD, Terrence Jones, Diallo
    C: Asik, at times AD, Ajinca

I believe we will start .500 and improve over time. We will do well when we get Jrue and Reke back. Jones, Galloway, Hill and AD will step up. Buddy is going to blow up so get ready. Klay Thompson Ray Allen. I'm positive. He's going to change our team big time. I think he will be better than Lillard and Beal.

Frank Isola mentioned in SB Nation podcast that if You wanna be a good team - don't ask Galloway to be primary PG...

i see Frazier and Moore starting
    and Galloway-Hield as a reserves. Until Jrue returns.

Not for personal reasons, just for a fact that Moore is better defender...

Not gonna lie. I just canceled my league pass. I can't pay to watch another season like this. Of course I will still be following the team and rooting for them but I feel a bit pessimistic about our chances at making the playoffs. Prayers for Jrue and his family. That is very tough and I wish him the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TPDG22 View Post
    Shawn Dawson is coming to training camp and is vying for either the 14th or 15th roster spot. I want Tim starting with Galloway boosting the bench scoring.
    We already have guaranteed contracts for our 14th and 15th spot though.

-----

I guess the other thing to keep in mind is QPon coming back. That will give us some more depth at SG. Heck even Hill has played some at SG.

Maybe with our above average defenders it would allow us to hide Frazier on defense to get that true PG running our offense. Training camp/Pre Season will be really interesting for us to see how the contest at guard develops.

Tyreke Evans isn't expected to be ready to go at the beginning of the season. Plus, you think Alvin Gentry really wants to turn the keys over to the offense to Tyreke? You know in your heart the answer.

It's not just the beginning of the season. Let's say the Holiday's do induce an early birth at the end of September. Lauren Holiday then has brain surgery six weeks later, so mid-November she has the tumor removed. Then she has some period of recovery time afterward. December at the earliest for Jrue Holiday to return to the court seems the ideal outcome for everyone involved assuming there are no complications. It is easy to see Jrue staying out until Lauren is capable of handling things at the home on her own which probably pushes his return until after Christmas. And again, if everything goes perfectly to plan.

The Pelicans don't need a simple stop gap. They need a starting point guard for 30 games.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Frazier knows the system and played well within it with backups. I have the most confidence in him to start

So who do you think that starting PG is Fisher?

I think its Moore

1-6

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    So who do you think that starting PG is Fisher?
    The best choice in my opinion is starting Tim Frazier and E'Twaun Moore in the backcourt with Langston Galloway and Buddy Hield coming off the bench. Unless Quincy Pondexter is good to go and starts at SF.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    Tyreke Evans isn't expected to be ready to go at the beginning of the season. Plus, you think Alvin Gentry really wants to turn the keys over to the offense to Tyreke? You know in your heart the answer.

It's not just the beginning of the season. Let's say the Holiday's do induce an early birth at the end of September. Lauren Holiday then has brain surgery six weeks later, so mid-November she has the tumor removed. Then she has some period of recovery time afterward. December at the earliest for Jrue Holiday to return to the court seems the ideal outcome for everyone involved assuming there are no complications. It is easy to see Jrue staying out until Lauren is capable of handling things at the home on her own which probably pushes his return until after Christmas. And again, if everything goes perfectly to plan.

The Pelicans don't need a simple stop gap. They need a starting point guard for 30 games.
    Maybe true, but even if Lauren is fully healthy, nobody in the Holiday household has to hold down anything on their own. These are people of means. Multi-millions worth of means. If the surgery goes well and all is fine, I don't see him staying out much longer after that. Maybe a month after.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post

He'd had made more sense just saying that Frazier might start for Holiday, because that's the only difference in the lineup above from what was expected.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He's not even saying much either. What, inserting Jrue would make our lineup good? Or just better than not good? Too vague.

And this team, to me, should be a whole is greater than the sum of it's parts kinda deal anyway.

A team that is more suited to ball movement, team defense, and intelligence doesn't need to be loaded with big talent. At least not until Buddy Hield comes into his own.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Trade for Rubio

Thread Information