Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Israel G Shawn Dawson joins Pelicans for Training Camp

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Interesting to note that Shawn Dawson has been mentioned on the Pelicans website as a signing but Copeland and Sacre are not.

Maybe Dawson will be guaranteed once Tyreke is traded?
    It is ungaranteed camp deal.
    Maybe there is slighty earlier guarantee date. Who knows?

Maybe Dell is preparing something. Maybe wants to trade him to the team who will take insurance money (see tiger droppings for details.
    But it is clear that he is kinda backup for Reke for training camp. Maybe longer...

I think it's more about bringing in the best talent we can for camp.

Dell does this every year. Doesnt really mean much long term yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Obligatory

Srictly off of his ability to take it to the rack with both hands.... this guy is an all-star. if he isnt shooting it would be hard to tell what handed he is

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    Gal Mekel Mk2?
    Nothing common between the two except both Israelis
    Gal is experienced PG with great court vision and good floater... But his physical tools are not great even in Israeli context, and while he worked year after year on his 3pt shot... for some reason it never improved. He's not very young, so when he joined Pelicans for those 4 games it was more or less "what you see - what you have" as upside was very small.
    Shawn is young SG. He's athletic even by US standard. He has quick first step, good fihisher around basket and while his long range shot is still "requires improvement" it's better than some 2 years ago beyond recognition... He makes many errors on both sides of ball and his defense is inconsistent... but he has tons of upside.

Shawn Dawson is clearly a foreign exchange baby right? Like he can't be from Israel. From his name, to his mannerisms, it screams US cultural influences
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Shawn Dawson is clearly a foreign exchange baby right? Like he can't be from Israel. From his name, to his mannerisms, it screams US cultural influences
    What do You mean "foreign exchange baby"?? His father Joe Dawson is afro-american basketball player who played in Israeli league for many years and married jewish israeli women. They are now divorced, but Joe Dawson is israeli citizen, lives in Israeli, and works in some hi-tech company.
    His son Shawn was born in Israel and lives his whole live in Israel. His native language is hebrew (while he naturally speaks english on native/close-to-native level too). So he is from Israel, and he is israeli.

Quote Originally Posted by arusinov View Post
    What do You mean "foreign exchange baby"?? His father Joe Dawson is afro-american basketball player who played in Israeli league for many years and married jewish israeli women. They are now divorced, but Joe Dawson is israeli citizen, lives in Israeli, and works in some hi-tech company.
    His son Shawn was born in Israel and lives his whole live in Israel. His native language is hebrew (while he naturally speaks english on native/close-to-native level too). So he is from Israel, and he is israeli.
    That's exactly what I meant and figured! Thanks for the knowledge bro.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    I think if he does well in camp he will be signed and we will move Reke and we could get Monroe. Monroe has more value so we should add Ajinca and a second rounder. I think Demps is going to get a center that can play solid offense and rebound. We improved our defense in FA. I really would be fine with Dawson and Monroe joining the team. We'd be a better team because we will have s better defense and a healthy team. I would keep Asik and have Monroe come off the bench and give Monroe more time. I want to see how Asik does with these new players. He could have a better season.

I like his play. And will be fine with end of the bench role for him...
    Dawson is kinda backup for Evans

there is a way to clear roster spots

You can stretch Asik salary for 9 years (34 millions) before 08/31
    You can stretch Asik salary (~25 millions for 7 years) after 09/01. with cap hit of 9,9 for 2016/2017 which will clear a roster spot.
    You can buyout Evans, trade him with insurance money for a fake 2nd rounder.
    you can trade anyone.

So if Gentry will love Dawson there are many ways to give him a roster spot...
    there are so many possibilities for the season

They aren't going to stretch Asik right now. 7 years or 9 years is far too long for dead money. They especially aren't going to do it because of some camp body. Cunningham/QPon/Ajinca would get traded well before the stretching of Asik's contract.

This guy seems nice and I wish him the best but there's a reason he is a camp body for a team with an already full roster. There's simply too many guards out there that are fringe players. It's not worth giving up assets or taking on negative assets for a level of player that you can get at any time later on if you need.

I am not saying that they WILL. They MAY try.
    But probably after the season at the earliest. When/if he will fail again...
    And there wont be amnesty in the new CBA.

But if he will be no factor this year I will rather stretch him for 3,5m/7 years than trade him with 1st rounder.

It was not about Asik personally. But about possibilites even with 15 guaranteed players...

It doesn't matter what you or I would rather do.

The Pelicans as an organization aren't going to stretch Asik's contract over 7 years.

I dont agree that franchise for sure wont do it. But it does not matter now.
    For us the best case scenario is decent and healthy Asik. Fingers crossed...

Thread Information