Pelicans Report

Thread: N/P Westbrook agrees to new contract with OKC

Pelicans N/P Westbrook agrees to new contract with OKC

Russell Westbrook and the Oklahoma City Thunder have reached an agreement on a three-year, $85+ million maximum contract renegotiation. Terms of the agreement will give the All-NBA point guard a player option for the third year, which would potentially put him on the free agency market at the end of the 2017-18 season.

Well this should stop the trades we can get Westbrook this offseason for Reke and a 1st lol. Westbrook signing a short contract actually gives us a better chance to sign him in the future instead of now IMO. We get a few years to build a franchise from top to bottom showing a player like Westbrook his addition would vault us into NBA championship conversations.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 08-04-2016 at 07:05 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Wow. Good for OKC. Watch out for Blake Griffin going to OKC this offseason.

I'm happy for OKC. I hope they land Blake next offseason and stick it to Durant.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    It's clear, he just wanted his own team.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Wow. Good for OKC. Watch out for Blake Griffin going to OKC this offseason.
    Yea Griffin really would be a great fit just like I think AD would with Russ. He also has the ties to OKC instantly making him a star there with a warmer welcome than anyone else would likely get. They have some very good centers in Adams/Kanter to compliment Griffin. A much better back court the Westbrook in Oladipo who has potential to take another big step in his game next year and next to Westbrook things should be much easier. So they are basically replacing Durant with Griffin and Ibaka with Oladipo. The talent they lost in Durant/Ibaka is no doubt huge but Griffin/Oladipo actually complimemt Westbrook as better fits with big talent as well. I like their skill sets together to potential be a team every bit as good as the Thunder have been if not better. Westbrook/Griffin would be damn good duo. If they could land a good SF or even potential star SF in FA then watch out for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    It's clear, he just wanted his own team.
    Had KD gone anywhere else the league's image of parity would've been helped. Imagine that.
    Jrue dat

I give Westbrook props for this. I think it's a direct shot at KD and wanting to be THE man for a team. KD was just a coward ring chasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    I give Westbrook props for this. I think it's a direct shot at KD and wanting to be THE man for a team. KD was just a coward ring chasing.
    damn that's cold

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I think he did it to maximize his earning potential and increase his trade value. No one was gonna give up a lot to get westbrook with one year left and no commitment. By doing this he gets to look like he is in it for the long haul, makes okc still look attractive, takes a shot at Durant, and he gets an extra like 9 mil. Its a win-win for everyone involved.
    I'm a grinder

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    I think he did it to maximize his earning potential and increase his trade value.
    Why would he care about his trade value?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    It's funny how we view these things...

A different spin might be that Westbrook doesn't really care about winning. He's all about the money and putting up stats. He took an extra $9m this year, a shot at a super max in 2 years, and a chance to be an inefficient ball dominant scorer on a 7 or 8th seed, instead of chasing team success and playing for the ultimate goal... A Championship.

KD sacrificed money and stats to pursue team success and winning a championship, knowing he'd face criticism and ridicule. Yet, he's the coward.

It's just funny.

Lol I love it! KD is a coward for wanting a job somewhere else with a team that can be great. Man why didn't he do the honorable thing and join the Sixers?! Or stay in OKC to lose a 6th WCF in 8 years with a super star he never seemed to really get along with?Now Westbrook is sticking it to KD and some hero cause he added a year to his deal? Westbrook really did the honorable thing nobody would have done by adding $8 million more to this seasons contract from $17 million to $25 million all for basically opting in to his player option next season. Also making himself a FA when the max contract he will sign can be 35% of the cap instead of 30%. Westbrook simply made a business move here not because he loves OKC and wants to stick it to Durant lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    It's funny how we view these things...

A different spin might be that Westbrook doesn't really care about winning. He's all about the money and putting up stats. He took an extra $9m this year, a shot at a super max in 2 years, and a chance to be an inefficient ball dominant scorer on a 7 or 8th seed, instead of chasing team success and playing for the ultimate goal... A Championship.

KD sacrificed money and stats to pursue team success and winning a championship, knowing he'd face criticism and ridicule. Yet, he's the coward.

It's just funny.
    Lol you read my mind! I think it's hilarious people are actually going to knock a player for wanting to win! Is anybody that says this actually ever played a sport and if you did was winning all you cared about? Westbrook did nothing special here but give himself a lot more $ short term and long term but waiting 1 extra year for FA. If he wants to be on another team after this season also don't doubt for 1 second he can't make that happen. Somehow Durant being the coward and Westbrook the hero is comical to me.

I bet KD pissed he can't use the "well Westbrook was leaving too" excuse anymore

N/P Westbrook agrees to new contract with OKC

KD left a team that was 1 game away from being in the finals. Westbrook is staying with his team.

There is NO other way to look at KD's move then he was a coward that didn't believe he could carry his team so he left for a team that just beat him and has already won a ring WITHOUT him.

Westbrook is committing to his team for 2 years. To try and spin it like he doesn't care about winning is stupid. They will still be a playoff team and in as good of a position as you could expect in the West. Maybe now with him locking in for another couple years they can also make a move for another player.

At the end of the day, Westbrook has in the past and continues with this move to show he is a competitor. KD has in the past and continues with his move to GS that he isn't.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 08-04-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donato View Post
    Why would he care about his trade value?
    Sorry clarification. I meant it benefits OKC in increasing his trade value. Basically all he did was get paid more money, agreed to stay another year, and is now eligible for 35% of the cap upon completion of his next contract.

KD left a team that was 1 game away from being in the finals. Westbrook is staying with his team.

There is NO other way to look at KD's move then he was a coward that didn't believe he could carry his team so he left for a team that just beat him and has already won a ring WITHOUT him.

Westbrook is committing to his team for 2 years. To try and spin it like he doesn't care about winning is stupid. They will still be a playoff team and in as good of a position as you could expect in the West. Maybe now with him locking in for another couple years they can also make a move for another player.

At the end of the day, Westbrook has in the past and continues with this move to show he is a competitor. KD has in the past and continues with his move to GS that he isn't.
    I agree that he is without a doubt on of the biggest competitors in the league if not the biggest. I've never really been that fond of Durant but I think he makes a difference ala Lebron. Westbrook has to prove he can carry that team now which will be tough. Its still a very good team but they took major losses in losing Durant and Ibaka.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    damn that's cold

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I think he did it to maximize his earning potential and increase his trade value. No one was gonna give up a lot to get westbrook with one year left and no commitment. By doing this he gets to look like he is in it for the long haul, makes okc still look attractive, takes a shot at Durant, and he gets an extra like 9 mil. Its a win-win for everyone involved.
    Just by adding one more year?

I agree 100%.

OKC is still a top 4 team in the West, and probably a top 7 team in the NBA. So they lost KD, and they will hurt them, but they have Donovan who at Florida counted on quality big men, and in OKC he has great big men, and an MVP caliber talent at pg. If OKC finishes with fewer that 48 wins next year I will be shocked.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    Just by adding one more year?
    Like i said "look". People who are critical of durants decision will look at this deal and say hey look westbrook is commited. When in actuality he just got more money for agreeing to stay another year and gave himself a chance to max out future earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    OKC is still a top 4 team in the West, and probably a top 7 team in the NBA. So they lost KD, and they will hurt them, but they have Donovan who at Florida counted on quality big men, and in OKC he has great big men, and an MVP caliber talent at pg. If OKC finishes with fewer that 48 wins next year I will be shocked.
    They lost Durant and Ibaka.

I think 4 seed is a hard spot to see them in barring injuries.

Warriors/Spurs likely keep 1 and 2. Then you have the Clippers, improved Grizzlies, and Trailblazers.

I feel like OKC is about in that pool after the likely top seeds. They could end up 4 at their ceiling or miss the playoffs TBH.

Without Durant that lineup isnt all that pretty.

They are still top 4 without Durant and Ibaka. The reason they moved Ibaka is because his minutes were being eaten up by other bigs who are currently on the roster. They have Adams, Kanter, Sabonis, Ilyasova, so they run deep in the low post, and with DangerRuss, Olidipo, Roberson, Payne, and Morrow running around knocking down shots. They still have talent in spades, and the roster can easily transition to what Donovan wants to play. They aren't the Spurs or GS, but they are just as dangerous as any of the other teams contending for the 3rd and 4th spot.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    They are still top 4 without Durant and Ibaka. The reason they moved Ibaka is because his minutes were being eaten up by other bigs who are currently on the roster. They have Adams, Kanter, Sabonis, Ilyasova, so they run deep in the low post, and with DangerRuss, Olidipo, Roberson, Payne, and Morrow running around knocking down shots. They still have talent in spades, and the roster can easily transition to what Donovan wants to play. They aren't the Spurs or GS, but they are just as dangerous as any of the other teams contending for the 3rd and 4th spot.
    Yeah but that small forward position will Noe have to be manned by morrow. Smh damn Durant dealt them a major blow

It hurts for sure, but they have a starting 5 that is no more glaring that some of the other teams mentioned for the top 3&4 spot, and none of those teams have the depth that OKC does.

Thread Information