Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans interested in Kenneth Faried

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Pelicans interested in Kenneth Faried

Several teams are interested in Faried. I would love to pair him with AD. If we got Faried by trading Tyreke and an unprotected 2017 first I think it would help us. We could really make the playoffs. We may have to keep Asik and start Faried. If Asik somehow has a comeback year in any way and we have Faried, Jones, Diallo and Ajinca along with AD I think the front court will be stacked and ready for war.

Faried would definitely be a better fit than Monroe. I think adding him would be a very positive step in the right direction. He's still rather young, he's very talented and I really like his numbers. Most of his points are dunks, alley hoops, turnaround jumpers close to the basket. He's a decent defender and while he is 6'8" he plays like he's 6'11" he's a very good rebounder and him and AD would overwhelm opponents.

Imagine this starting lineup:
    Jrue
    Buddy
    Hill
    Faried
    AD

No thanks. I happen to enjoy spacing and defense.
    Hey @okcthunder - you guys suck! Our top players are hurt. Some are dead. Some don't even like basketball.And we still kicked y'all's asses!- @TheFakeMonty

I swear people would trade our 1st for anyone! No thanks! He's undersized and a shell of himself. We already have an athletic PF besides AD in Jones. And Jones actually has a decent shot. I would wait until the Bucks blink with Monroe or just sign him next offseason!

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    I'd pass tbh.

I wrote this about you Mr. West's Avatar
    I think you'd be a bit crazy not to prefer Faried's frantic floor-running athleticism to Monroe in the fast paced system Gentry claims to run.

I don't think you'd be crazy to prefer neither, however. Especially when it'd probably take a first to get either.
    @DanielVeuleman

The Franchise
    I'm guessing it's a ploy to get the bucks or someone to make a move. Faried wouldn't be horrible but I don't think ideal. If we didn't have Jones and Diallo I may have said ok but still rather Monroe.

Why are we always rumored to be interested in power forwards? I think we're set at that position and hopefully Jones turns into his old self this year and we can retain him longer term.

Depends on what we would have to give up really. I mentioned a while back I would like Faried if they were trying to move him. I would potentially give up a future 1st but would have to be lottery protected. I think he would be a great fit next to AD. He fits Gentrys system very well and KF/AD would be a nice finishing lineup. If Jones is healthy and ready to go I say no I'm Faried. I would much rather Monroe who fits in better with our roster. Gives us more versatility to play alongside any big we have with the ability to play both the 4/5. I don't see how anybody could be against Faried at the right price but I would think some teams out there would offer much more the I would be willing to.

I like the Faried / Davis combo. Faried is an undersized 5 who can guard 90% of the post players left in the NBA. Davis is an oversized 4. I think its a pretty good pair for today's game and for Gentry's system. Asik is still around to guard Mark Gasol and anyone else who can post up. I was surprised by the poor defensive stats on Faried mentioned in the TBW article. I think AD can give some of the rim protection to make up for Faried's shortcomings in that department. Faried grabs so many rebounds and provides the gritty physical presence that Pel's still lack. Plus, Faried would usually be guarding the less mobile, more close to the basket inside players and he would get less exposed on the perimeter than he was playing the 4. I think I would do Tyreke and a top 10 protected 1st to get Faried. His contract is pretty cheap now.

I wish I had as much faith as a lot of you guys do in T. Jones. If he was close to the player he was before the knee injury, he would not have come here for the league minimum. Don't get me wrong. I think he was a good signing for that price. Its worth a 1 in 10 chance that he bounces back completely at the price they paid. But Faried is a sure thing. If Jones is healthy and plays well, there is plenty of room for both him and Faried in the rotation. (If Asik whines and hurts the locker room, send him to the D-League for practice catching the damn ball. If Asik's unhappiness at going to the bench is going to bring this team down after the way he played last year, then they need to toughen up and realize this is the big leagues.)

Also, I don't want Monroe because he costs a whole lot more; he's a below average defensive center; and he's useless on offense unelss you let him take up residence in the paint -- which ruins the whole drive and kick passing game that Gentry and the rules favor.
    Last edited by Big Fan; 08-04-2016 at 10:20 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    We're not trading an unprotected 1st unless it's for a legitimate superstar.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    A combo of AD/Faried/Jones could be lethal. The competition between Faried and Jones could be a positive for both, in terms of getting back to their best. Faried's contract is not an albatross, so I wouldn't be scared of that. It may be worth the gamble

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I'm only giving up a first for a good player still on a rookie deal like Okafor. Monroe and Faried and their respective teams are trying to get rid of them and don't seemed to be getting hits. Same as us with Tyreke and Asik.

For those that want this to happen... read this (below).

Digging deeper the warts begin to show. ESPN’s Real Plus-Minus ranks Faried 80th among 94 power forwards defensively last season. Two years ago he ranked just three spots ahead of Ryan Anderson. According to NBA Stats the Nuggets have been worse defensively with Faried on the floor in all five seasons he’s been in the league. In four of the last five seasons (2014-15 is the exception) Denver has been worse overall with the Manimal on the court than off.

Kenneth Faried is efficient offensively, largely by avoiding jump shots at all costs. About 10% of his shot attempts come beyond 10 feet according to Basketball Reference. Synergy Stats reflects the nature of his offensive output well; 21.3% comes from putbacks, 20.8% from cuts (think dump off passes), 16.2% as the roll man, and 13.3% in transition.

While Faried is energetic and prone to producing highlight worthy dunks he’s nearly Ryan Anderson-bad defensively with a long trail of making his team worse when he’s on the floor. Imagine if you gave Omer Asik really good hands and explosive leaping ability. As a trade off, Asik has to shrink about five inches and lose the vast majority of his defensive impact (rim protection via height) and acumen (basketball IQ). Sure, the offense would improve with Faried diving to the rim with a surer set of hands. Defense, on the other hand, takes a huge step back.

More importantly, on the fit with AD and Faried, is it requires Davis to move to center nearly full time. That slides Omer Asik out of the starting lineup (creating some locker room tension) and puts Davis at a position he prefers not to play (probably not the best idea). Further, the Pelicans sit on two big contracts for Asik (nearly immovable) and Alexis Ajinca at the center position.

http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2016/8/...licans-defense

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I swear people would trade our 1st for anyone! No thanks! He's undersized and a shell of himself. We already have an athletic PF besides AD in Jones. And Jones actually has a decent shot. I would wait until the Bucks blink with Monroe or just sign him next offseason!
    I love you! What happened to trading a future first for an actual star???
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    This!!!

Faried has a decent contract and would fit well on the Pelicans. He's better than Anderson on defense and he's a better rebounder and he fits the system.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Faried has a decent contract and would fit well on the Pelicans. He's better than Anderson on defense and he's a better rebounder and he fits the system.
    Your or I are probably better on defense than Rhyno, Anderson being abysmal doesn't change the fact that Faried is godawful.

Banned
    Ryno was a good offensive rebounder

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I'm still in favor of this.

He's the kinda dude that will get the crowd jacked...

Also, maybe I'm too influenced by the show he and AD put on with Team USA, but their energy would make them tough to contend with on the glass. And I'm always a sucker for the underdog.

Would I take him? Sure. For an unprotected first? No chance.

However, if we got him for a fair deal, jones faried and AD could run bigs out the gym.

Faried is a very good player for his contract and I would take him over Anderson and his 20mil a year contract. We have great 3 point shooting. We should add Faried because he has talent and a good contract.

What's a realistic trade to get Faried?

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    Faried is a very good player for his contract and I would take him over Anderson and his 20mil a year contract. We have great 3 point shooting. We should add Faried because he has talent and a good contract.

What's a realistic trade to get Faried?
    He doesn't fit on our roster at all tho. Questions of skill set aside, he is a PF. AD is a PF, and has made it clear that he wants to limit his time at the 5. That would necessitate bringing Faried off the bench, which is the exact reason he wants out of Denver. It just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Would I take him? Sure. For an unprotected first? No chance.

However, if we got him for a fair deal, jones faried and AD could run bigs out the gym.
    No doubt. I think our staff recognized we need to have more athletic bigs to defend the PicknRoll. Our PnR defense has been terrible, so it looks like we want to get more mobile bigs. Jones and Faried would definitely bring that to the table, and Faried can rebound the ball.

Statistically Faried may be a poor defender, but check out how he compares to AD in 12 less minutes per game:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	far.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	6179

Quote Originally Posted by frankatank109 View Post
    He doesn't fit on our roster at all tho. Questions of skill set aside, he is a PF. AD is a PF, and has made it clear that he wants to limit his time at the 5. That would necessitate bringing Faried off the bench, which is the exact reason he wants out of Denver. It just doesn't make sense.
    And why couldn't Faried guard 5s? Players can cross-matchup.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

Thread Information