Pelicans Report

Thread: Ranking our new players.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar

Ranking our new players.

We added several pieces to the team. Most of us seem to agree that we did well in free agency. Some of us think we could sneak into the playoffs. I am wondering if any of you can share your opinion on the realistic impact the new players might have on this season.

Do you think any of these players can become a major piece or even a star? Which new players, if you could put them in order, will help the team win games the most this season?

Here's my order for biggest impact:

1. Hill
    2. Hield
    3. Jones
    4. Galloway
    5. Moore
    6. Diallo

I am fully convinced that Hill and Heild will make AD's life a lot easier. After watching every video and scouting report and reading about his work ethic and toughness, I am starting to think Solomon Hill is going to really surprise people. He's still very young and he looks really good on offense and defense. I think he could be a bigger steal than when we got Anderson. Will he be a star? I don't think so but I do think he will improve our team by playing elite defense. If he is consistent I think we could win a lot more games than last year.

I do believe eventually Hield could be a star in this league. It's premature to say this but I think it's very likely he will score 16.5 ppg this season. He will have growing pains but I think he will adjust and could be a nightmare for other teams. I am optimistic and I think we will be really excited after seeing him play 10-15 games. He will be better than Gordon and Anderson. He's just a rookie but once he's on the court with Jrue Holiday we will see him terrorize opponents.

I wanted to put Galloway above Jones but I can't. If Jones is healthy, that's a big if, his skill set will give us a big man with excellent handles with post moves and a decent 3 point shot. If he's on the court with Jrue, AD, Buddy, and Hill I think it will be very fun to watch. Every player would be a threat.

Galloway is young and he plays with a lot of energy. I like him and I love his put back dunks! He's deceptively athletic and also has that three point shot. I think he's a solid backup to Jrue and I might get criticized for this but I think he could eventually be a star in this league. He's really good.

Moore gives us more three point shooting and good defense. I think he can guard players that buddy might have problems with. I look forward to seeing what he can do. Does anyone know a lot about him? Would you put him above any of these players?

Diallo impressed me in the summer league. But, will he play that way against guys in the real league? Is he a project? I think he won't get many minutes unless he's phenomenal. If we got an elite shot blocker then I will be ecstatic. I wouldn't mind a birdman type player.

I'd put Moore above Galloway, Jones, and at least for this year, probably Hield as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I think it's very likely he will score 16.5 ppg this season.
    See my posts in the Western Prediction thread for more details but as I posted there, 13 of the 600+ rookies in the last ten years have scored 16.5+ and they are either players with no talent around them and were asked to use up a ton of possessions (all of them were over 20% USG), or are current all stars or future MVPs and none of them played on a winning team their rookie years. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, and as others pointed out in that thread, there are other things that Buddy could bring to the table to help the overall offense but I don't think that it would make a smart bet to put money on that Buddy scores 16.5 ppg. I just think it is important that we temper our expectations for him because I'd hate to see people turning on him when we're losing games and he has poor shooting nights and he's only averaging 10ppg and calling him a bust. I think that with any rookie you are going to have to be patient and get them to work up to the speed of the game. Fortunately Buddy seems to have amazing work ethic and hopefully it doesn't take him as long as others.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

1. Moore
    2. Hill
    3. Jones
    4. Galloway
    5. Hield
    6. Diallo

1.Jones
    2.Diallo
    3.Galloway
    4.Hill
    5.Hield
    6.Moore

1. Hill
    2. Moore
    3. Galloway
    4. Jones
    5. Heild

6. Diallo

Think half of this board is getting their hopes up way too much for Buddy's first year. Rookies are pretty much always horrible to well below average. Seriously, go read Jabber's post in the other thread to see just how much of an anomaly it would be for him to be an effective scorer right out of the gate.

Jones
    Moore
    Hill
    Galloway
    Heild
    Diallo

Ranking our new players.

Hill
    Jones
    Galloway
    Heild
    Moore
    Diallo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    See my posts in the Western Prediction thread for more details but as I posted there, 13 of the 600+ rookies in the last ten years have scored 16.5+ and they are either players with no talent around them and were asked to use up a ton of possessions (all of them were over 20% USG), or are current all stars or future MVPs and none of them played on a winning team their rookie years. Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, and as others pointed out in that thread, there are other things that Buddy could bring to the table to help the overall offense but I don't think that it would make a smart bet to put money on that Buddy scores 16.5 ppg. I just think it is important that we temper our expectations for him because I'd hate to see people turning on him when we're losing games and he has poor shooting nights and he's only averaging 10ppg and calling him a bust. I think that with any rookie you are going to have to be patient and get them to work up to the speed of the game. Fortunately Buddy seems to have amazing work ethic and hopefully it doesn't take him as long as others.
    There's reason for us to get our hopes up. This is Buddy Hield. He's not just any rookie. He is coming to a team with Jrue Holiday and Anthony Davis. I think he will have growing pains but he's in a very good position to make an instant impact.

Hield is electrifying. I think he will score at least 13ppg. Watch, I bet he wins games for us this year. He's clutch. I think people are judging him on a small sample size, the summer league, and they expect less. Not me. I expect him to be shooting a lot more than we expected. He can score on anyone.

1. Buddy
    2. Solo
    3. E'Twaun
    4. Jones
    5. Diallo
    6. Galloway

Quote Originally Posted by pelicanchamp View Post
    I think people are judging him on a small sample size, the summer league, and they expect less. Not me.
    I'm not projecting exactly what Hield will be this year so much as give a reference to the likelyhood of what he will be. Some people may have adjusted their expectations due to the summer league but I was citing examples from all 600+ players in their rookie seasons in the last 10 years. Of course it is possible he scores that much but it would put him in the top 2% of all rookies scoring for the last ten years.

The beautiful thing about our offseason is that we netted a bunch of guys who, at the worst, will improve our depth but with their work ethic actually have punchers' chances at turning into really good role players if they grow and find their niche.

Hield can be a star and Jrue still has a shot at that. Along with Davis, this team has a huge range from decent to great in the future. Just stay healthy and keep improving.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Good positive energy.

But also, yo mama's fat.

Hill
    Moore
    Hield
    Galloway
    Jones
    Diallo

Hill fills the biggest need and they invested the most. He will get every chance to be a major contributor. After Hill, the three guards fill the second biggest need - but there are three of them and I really think they will end up contributing about equally this year.
    I would have Jones higher but I worry about his health - why would Houston let him go for nothing!?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Moore should definitely be near the top and most def above both rookies. That was a low key top signing.

His affects on the team with Hill will be most seen on the road, where this team has had the most trouble the last 5 years or so. All the intangibles you need to win on the road both those players bring.

As for Buddy, he already has an NBA body/athleticism so no need to wait on that. That's where the 4 years of college helps. While he certainly has areas on his game that needs to improve, his game has no huge holes. As for scoring, he's already coming into the league as a shooter. So, coming in as a scorer with an NBA ready body/athleticism, you'd expect him to score more than the average rookie. Especially considering he'll be on the floor with Jrue/AD, so he should get plenty of open looks.
    Last edited by luckyman; 07-30-2016 at 02:12 PM.

JONES
    HILL
    MOORE
    GALLOWAY
    DIALLO
    HIELD

Hope I'm wrong but I think Buddy may spend a couple weeks in D-League. Diallo will get a few minutes to run the floor and rebound. If we stay healthy, this could be a nice team, possibly 47 wins.

I know it's not likely, but for my list, I'm going to assume all of these players stay healthy for the majority of the season.

1. Jones- If he's healthy, he returns to his 2013-14 form and logs the 2nd most minutes of all the bigs. The Jones/AD frontcourt will be unstoppable. He surprises a LOT of people with his play this year.
    2. Hield- Future star, but it'll take him awhile to adjust to the pros. He'll flash greatness from time to time, in his rookie season. Consistency will keep him from being number one on my list.
    3. Hill- He'll start at SF for the entire season, improving from last season, but he'll improve slowly, yet consistently. He will become the 3&D SF, that we've been wanting for years.
    4. Moore- It was hard to decide between Moore and Galloway. I think their impact will be pretty similar in year one. Moore has a few more years of experience, so I expect more of an early impact from Moore. He'll be a great 3&D backup SG to Buddy.
    5. Galloway- Another 3&D guard that can backup the 1 and 2. I expect him to have a good, but not great year for us. His contract will be a real bargain.
    6. Diallo- I think Dell hit a homerun with this pick, but he's a project, so he will take some time to reach his potential. I don't expect him to log more than 10 mins per game, during his rookie season. I think he will make the most of those minutes though, giving us non-stop hustle, rebounding and shot-blocking. I expect a big jump in year two and by year three, I expect him to either be starting or be a 6th man type, logging starter minutes (similar to Ryno).

Hield
    Hill
    Jones
    Moore
    Gallo
    Diallo

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Nail View Post
    JONES
    HILL
    MOORE
    GALLOWAY
    DIALLO
    HIELD

Hope I'm wrong but I think Buddy may spend a couple weeks in D-League. Diallo will get a few minutes to run the floor and rebound. If we stay healthy, this could be a nice team, possibly 47 wins.
    Silver, your wrong. 4 year, Player of the Year, Top 5 candidates don't do D-League. Either he balls hard or he will go overseas. Period. Dude's a stud though. He will be fine. Less growing pains than we think he will have. He will be in a groove by the end of November, but hit the wall, mid-January to late March, then catch his 2nd wind for the stretch run... I give Hield 11.6 points, 3.3 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 1.7 steals / per game. Which would be solid if everyone else do their part offensively. The only hero we need right now is AD, the rest just need to play their role and score off routine opportunities that will be there once they get a Lil chemistry.

I'm curious to see Gentry with this bunch because he finally has some defenders that can score individually when the chance presents itself. Dell/Ferry did well this summer. Secured all of the CHAMPIONSHIP role players damn near in one offseason.

With the onset of AD's manhood (coming of Age, 1st yr of prime), Jrue's heath (prove it year), and the chemistry of hard working type players, for the most part (bye Eric MOONhead), we are one bona fide All Star from competing for a chip.

But, I digress, Buddy will be exactly what Gordon was and a better defender. We lost nothing there but a bit of experience, but then again, with how little Gordon really played in the last 4 years, I say it might be a wash. Day 1. Buddy will be Top 10 shooting in this League eventually. On a championship team, Buddy is the perfect 3rd Player.

If we get an All Star 3/4 forward at the deadline, we could really do damage.

Quote Originally Posted by irvchilichill1 View Post
    Silver, your wrong. 4 year, Player of the Year, Top 5 candidates don't do D-League. Either he balls hard or he will go overseas. Period. Dude's a stud though. He will be fine. Less growing pains than we think he will have. He will be in a groove by the end of November, but hit the wall, mid-January to late March, then catch his 2nd wind for the stretch run... I give Hield 11.6 points, 3.3 rebounds, 4.1 assists, 1.7 steals / per game. Which would be solid if everyone else do their part offensively. The only hero we need right now is AD, the rest just need to play their role and score off routine opportunities that will be there once they get a Lil chemistry.

I'm curious to see Gentry with this bunch because he finally has some defenders that can score individually when the chance presents itself. Dell/Ferry did well this summer. Secured all of the CHAMPIONSHIP role players damn near in one offseason.

With the onset of AD's manhood (coming of Age, 1st yr of prime), Jrue's heath (prove it year), and the chemistry of hard working type players, for the most part (bye Eric MOONhead), we are one bona fide All Star from competing for a chip.

But, I digress, Buddy will be exactly what Gordon was and a better defender. We lost nothing there but a bit of experience, but then again, with how little Gordon really played in the last 4 years, I say it might be a wash. Day 1. Buddy will be Top 10 shooting in this League eventually. On a championship team, Buddy is the perfect 3rd Player.

If we get an All Star 3/4 forward at the deadline, we could really do damage.
    Since I have been raining on everyone;s parade regarding Buddy's numbers and because you were so precise about those numbers I ran them in basketball reference and 18 players have ever accomplished those numbers as rookies. Some of the names are pretty intense though. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and Michael Jordan were the first to have those numbers as rookies. Allen Iverson, Penny Hardaway, Mark Jackson, Tim Hardaway, John Wall, Steph Curry, John Wall, Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, and Chris Paul all make the list too. There are less known rookies on there too of course but a quick look-over and you're looking at around ten hall of fame players and around ten years of MVPs. Really, it's the assists and steals that are high and you don't have to lower them much to make the list much longer.

I changed it to 11.6 points, 3 assists, 1 steal, and 3 rebounds and it increased to 54 players of all time. I then lowered it to 11 points, 2.5 assists, 1 steal, and 2.5 rebounds and it increased to 86 players ever.

When I decreased it to 11 points, 2 assists, 1 steal, 2 rebounds it increased to 115 players of all time.

When I decreased it to 10 points per game, 2 assists, .7 steals, and 2 rebounds per game I got 172 rookies since the '46 season.

I think somewhere between the last two are probably a good spot for us to hope for based purely off of historic rookie stats and the number of players to accomplish those stats. Of course, I could be wrong and Buddy could be amazing and make me look like a dunce, which of course, I hope he does.

The argument is that it is an anomaly for Buddy to have a great rookie season. What if Buddy is an anomaly?

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Since I have been raining on everyone;s parade regarding Buddy's numbers and because you were so precise about those numbers I ran them in basketball reference and 18 players have ever accomplished those numbers as rookies. Some of the names are pretty intense though. Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, and Michael Jordan were the first to have those numbers as rookies. Allen Iverson, Penny Hardaway, Mark Jackson, Tim Hardaway, John Wall, Steph Curry, John Wall, Jason Kidd, Grant Hill, and Chris Paul all make the list too. There are less known rookies on there too of course but a quick look-over and you're looking at around ten hall of fame players and around ten years of MVPs. Really, it's the assists and steals that are high and you don't have to lower them much to make the list much longer.

I changed it to 11.6 points, 3 assists, 1 steal, and 3 rebounds and it increased to 54 players of all time. I then lowered it to 11 points, 2.5 assists, 1 steal, and 2.5 rebounds and it increased to 86 players ever.

When I decreased it to 11 points, 2 assists, 1 steal, 2 rebounds it increased to 115 players of all time.

When I decreased it to 10 points per game, 2 assists, .7 steals, and 2 rebounds per game I got 172 rookies since the '46 season.

I think somewhere between the last two are probably a good spot for us to hope for based purely off of historic rookie stats and the number of players to accomplish those stats. Of course, I could be wrong and Buddy could be amazing and make me look like a dunce, which of course, I hope he does.
    Fair enough, I think pin pointing the numbers isn't going to change alot in terms of what kind of season Buddy's going to have, unless the swing is 15-20 and more than 4 in any other stat.

I think Buddy falling between 10-15 points is realistically optimistic, with anything above 2 in other stats being really good. If he did that and hit at 36%+ from 3 he would fill in 70-80% of Eric Gordon we've had in the last couple years. The amount of points he gets will depend on how well he gels in the system and his adjustment to the NBA, and to me whats more important is that he's not a total dumpster fire on defence.

If he hits the upper parts of that range though, I'll be very happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Impossible. The octopus that lives in my brain hasn't squibbered anything about it to me.

Also, that's how octopi talk. They squibber. Yes, it's a word. Shut up.

I'm not going to make a list. I just want to say that if all of these guys can stay healthy (knock on wood) the team will be much omproved.

Just having NBA level talent every night will be huge.

And I think Hield will start slow and then come on late to really begin to dominate games like he did in college. I think it's funny how expectations for many have been lowered by his summer league. I think you guys are nuts! He showed he can affect the games without scoring and he had 17 in one 10 minute quarter. His shooting is the last thing to worry about.

Edit for a double post.

I mentioned Hield because I think he will be the best of the list by the end of the season.

Hill - Biggest surprise, He will bring toughness on Defense and will surprise a lot of people on offense...
    Heild- 15ppg, 3ast, 3rbs, floor spacer at least, but in this system he will get his shot off...
    Jones- If healthy, he and AD will be dangerous
    Moore- Will play starter minutes from the bench to spell Heild
    Galloway- Solid player,
    Diallo- Wont be 1 of 12 dressed (AD, Terrance Jones, Cunningham, Diallo) He will be in a suit & tie most nights unless injuries pile up

Looking at the list John Wall couldn't shoot, Curry was too small, CP3 was a floor general and other than the rest of the players played in an NBA where defense was superior... The open offense Gentry runs will get Buddy more shot opportunities and he is a true scorer not just a 3 point shooter... Pace and space with a solid point and AD to be the vocal point will get him his opportunities.

Thread Information