Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NBA All Star weekend to be in New Orleans?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!

NBA 2017 NBA All Star weekend to be in New Orleans?

Would love for this to happen, but our state isn't exactly progressive on LGBT issues. We're currently one of 11 states suing the Department of Justice over bathroom access.

Blame Attorney General Jeff Landry if we don't get this done. It's a one man crusade and political posturing for next governor's race.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Would love for this to happen, but our state isn't exactly progressive on LGBT issues. We're currently one of 11 states suing the Department of Justice over bathroom access.

Blame Attorney General Jeff Landry if we don't get this done. It's a one man crusade and political posturing for next governor's race.
    Better then North Carolina:
    http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ex_rights.html

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post

Don't know all the facts about the case, but I thought it was specifically about schools (and not entire public).

I just want to congratulate the NBA for the reason behind it. Sports organisations shouldn't be playing politics by any means but sticking up for what is right can't be faulted.

I'm too lazy to find out why it was taken from Charlotte.
    Can someone elaborate why?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I'm too lazy to find out why it was taken from Charlotte.
    Can someone elaborate why?

Thanks
    This past year, North Carolina established the anti-LGBT legislation HB2, which people are calling the public bathroom law. It essentially protects businesses, employers and other organizations from discriminating based on religious beliefs. The wording of the bill is very broad and opens the door to all kinds of discrimination which the federal courts have called unconstitutional.

Several companies and organizations, including the NBA, threatened action if the law was not repealed. It was not. So no all star game.

Business

This is absolutely crazy they get something that has an economic impact of $100 million taken away because of this. The NBA should not commit to something this big then back out because they don't agree with a law. I have no problem with the LGBTQ community but I just don't agree with this. I don't really agree with the law either but man this country is getting so soft with every single thing somehow offending someone.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 07-21-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    This is absolutely crazy they get something that has an economic impact of $100 million taken away because of this. The NBA should not commit to something this big then back out because they don't agree with a law. I have no problem with the LGBTQ community but I just don't agree with this. I don't really agree with the law either but man this country is getting so soft with every single thing somehow offending someone.
    pretty much my feeling. Don't necessarily support the law but I could understand how some people could feel it it to be an invasion of privacy.

I'll sure take that All-Star Weekend tho

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    pretty much my feeling. Don't necessarily support the law but I could understand how some people could feel it it to be an invasion of privacy.

I'll sure take that All-Star Weekend tho
    yeah... I for 1 hate when politics and entertainment try to mix

but I will take the economic boost the event will unexpectedly bring to the city and state
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post
    This past year, North Carolina established the anti-LGBT legislation HB2, which people are calling the public bathroom law. It essentially protects businesses, employers and other organizations from discriminating based on religious beliefs. The wording of the bill is very broad and opens the door to all kinds of discrimination which the federal courts have called unconstitutional.

Several companies and organizations, including the NBA, threatened action if the law was not repealed. It was not. So no all star game.
    Thanks

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    If it gets New Orleans an ASG that it normally wouldn't have had I could care less what the NBA does

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar
    Do you understand the law?

Replace gay with black and do you still think the NBA should just ignore it?

I'm proud of the NBA for taking a stance but if I'm being honest, I'm not a fan of a man dressed as a woman using the same bathroom or dressing room as my teenage daughter. I see so many issues that can occur when one perv dressed as a woman goes in a bathroom or dressing room and causes havoc. I can see both sides of the argument. With that said, I love the fact that we're possibly getting another ASG.

EDIT: Looks like it's already happened

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/...mens-bathroom/
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 07-22-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post

EDIT: Looks like it's already happened

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2016/...mens-bathroom/
    I don't think any state allows you to videotape people in the bathroom.

As was pointed out - the issue is with the legal wording. Other states have instituted more specific bathroom laws, including Louisiana, and that debate is still on going. The NC law is open to interpretation. Essentially one could say - my religious beliefs prohibit me from allowing Gays, Muslims, Blacks, Jews, Women etc. to enter my establishment - and they would be legally protected by state law. The federal courts have said you cannot do this and NC has argued that they can. It offers the potential for Jim Crow type practices to return to the south - the NBA is against such discrimination.

As are others who have acted including Pay Pal who pulled a 400 job office center, Deutsche Bank pulled a 250 job expansion, Hollywood has pulled NC from several film locations, multiple national conventions have relocated, theater/music acts from Ringo to the Boss to Wicked have all canceled performances. The economic effect is in the billions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andynola View Post
    I don't think any state allows you to videotape people in the bathroom.

As was pointed out - the issue is with the legal wording. Other states have instituted more specific bathroom laws, including Louisiana, and that debate is still on going. The NC law is open to interpretation. Essentially one could say - my religious beliefs prohibit me from allowing Gays, Muslims, Blacks, Jews, Women etc. to enter my establishment - and they would be legally protected by state law. The federal courts have said you cannot do this and NC has argued that they can. It offers the potential for Jim Crow type practices to return to the south - the NBA is against such discrimination.

As are others who have acted including Pay Pal who pulled a 400 job office center, Deutsche Bank pulled a 250 job expansion, Hollywood has pulled NC from several film locations, multiple national conventions have relocated, theater/music acts from Ringo to the Boss to Wicked have all canceled performances. The economic effect is in the billions.
    I have no issues with the NBA's decision at all. I was just saying that I have issues with men in the ladies' room. Too many negative things could happen. In theory, it's a dangerous situation every time your girl, mom, wife, sister, or daughter is in there with men. Just my opinion. Not trying to start a debate or anything.

I have no issues with the NBA's decision at all. I was just saying that I have issues with men in the ladies' room. Too many negative things could happen. In theory, it's a dangerous situation every time your girl, mom, wife, sister, or daughter is in there with men. Just my opinion. Not trying to start a debate or anything.
    If a guy wants to dress like a woman to sneak into a bathroom to film stuff, he's going to do it regardless of a law. What this law does is prevent legitimate, law-abiding transgendered people from being able to use a bathroom theyre comfortable with. If your daughter was FORCED by law to use the men's bathroom, you'd probably be upset with that law.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Uptown Fuzz ... you are obviously clueless about transgender identification. Since you aren't trying to start a debate, then maybe you should go and dig a little further into the issue, because it surely is much deeper than a guy "dressing up" as a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    Uptown Fuzz ... you are obviously clueless about transgender identification. Since you aren't trying to start a debate, then maybe you should go and dig a little further into the issue, because it surely is much deeper than a guy "dressing up" as a woman.
    I'm actually rather informed. I have an LGBT sibling. So I'm probably more informed than most. Still doesn't change the fact that certain pervs will use the law to their advantage. My issue isn't an LGBT issue, it's a safety of women form pervs issue.

Wrong thread. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker View Post
    If a guy wants to dress like a woman to sneak into a bathroom to film stuff, he's going to do it regardless of a law. What this law does is prevent legitimate, law-abiding transgendered people from being able to use a bathroom theyre comfortable with. If your daughter was FORCED by law to use the men's bathroom, you'd probably be upset with that law.
    I probably wouldn't be ok with that. You are correct. My last point is that making transgendered people comfortable by making the larger population uncomfortable in not the answer. A better solution in my opinion would be to make bathrooms unisex. That would give people a choice instead of having them forced into a situation. This entire conversation is moot though, because the law only applies to government facilities. Private businesses don't have to abide by it. I was just stating the opposite opinion of what the masses were opining.
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 07-22-2016 at 10:00 AM.

I'm actually rather informed. I have an LGBT sibling. So I'm probably more informed than most. Still doesn't change the fact that certain pervs will use the law to their advantage. My issue isn't an LGBT issue, it's a safety of women form pervs issue.
    Last thing i'll say about this b/c this forum isn't a place for politics but its not the just the pervs that folks take issue with. People, and women in particular, don't feel comfortable using an intimate space such as bathroom with the opposite sex. People are free to identify with whatever gender they want, and have whatever surgery, take whatever hormones. But forcing people to conform to an individuals delusional view of themselves, on the threat of sanctioning by the state, is a step too far and a invasion of privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    Last thing i'll say about this b/c this forum isn't a place for politics but its not the just the pervs that folks take issue with. People, and women in particular, don't feel comfortable using an intimate space such as bathroom with the opposite sex. People are free to identify with whatever gender they want, and have whatever surgery, take whatever hormones. But forcing people to conform to an individuals delusional view of themselves, on the threat of sanctioning by the state, is a step too far and a invasion of privacy.
    I agree but let's move on because like you, I don't want to make this a convo about politics.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    You may have an LGBT sibling, but the fact that you are projecting that some "perv" will use the law to their advantage shows that you don't fully understand the issue. There are zero (most likely) occurrences of this happening. The bill is based off of fear-mongering and it has no basis in reality. What is real though, is that there are men out there, who were once girls or women, who would have to use the bathroom of what they were born as. That is what would cause an uncomfortable situation, not some made up fantasy of a guy creeping into a bathroom dressed as a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Do you understand the law?

Replace gay with black and do you still think the NBA should just ignore it?
    I do understand the law. This isn't about race color which is much different. Do you understand the law? Because this obviously has been passed as a law in NC. This was mostly over keeping one gender in a bathroom while it's a little broader into other things I don't agree with. Still if the NBA committed there I don't think they should pull out. Atleast they are doing the right thing and giving them a chance a couple years later.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    If it gets New Orleans an ASG that it normally wouldn't have had I could care less what the NBA does
    I completely agree and I'm fine with that. Still I know a lot of people here would be pretty upset and not think its the NBAs place to sway our laws of this happened in NOLA. Again I don't agree with most of the law but the NBA shouldn't play judge and jury. When it impacts their $ though anything goes. Hopefully NC does the right thing cause I hate to see this taken away from anybody.

Thread Information