Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrance Jones A PELICAN!

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    I agree with this. I've wanted Terrence Jones on this team since his draft. But at this point in his career, he's on the definition of a "prove it" contract where he has literally 1 year left to prove he is an NBA player. If we get the Jones from 3 years ago, I think you can pencil him in at 20 minutes or so and be thrilled. If we get the Jones of the last 2 years, we'll all be wishing they would just give Diallo minutes to develop rather than wasting them on Jones.

I'm excited because this is the kind of player you want if you can get them on a minimum deal. But it's very much so boom or bust at this point in Terrence's career.
    Your evaluation of Jones, I feel is a bit skewed.
    He is 23 years old, athletic, slasher & big body.
    He was playing on a crappy team w/ ball hogs that shot more 3's than anyone in the league, while shooting 30% from there.
    They had no desire to play any defense.
    So, a big body, 6'10" that can slash to the goal, leap out of the gym & body up as a defender, obviously would not fit on a team that is loaded w/ ball hogs that are coached to shoot 3'a, although being awful at it.
    After paying 33 mill per year for 2 more ball hogs, I say maybe it is Houston that sucks & not Jones.

Banned
    Houston is a mess right now. Utter mess. I'd be on suicide watch if I was a fan.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    He was playing on a crappy team w/ ball hogs that shot more 3's than anyone in the league, while shooting 30% from there.
    So, a big body, 6'10" that can slash to the goal, leap out of the gym & body up as a defender, obviously would not fit on a team that is loaded w/ ball hogs that are coached to shoot 3'a, although being awful at it.
    After paying 33 mill per year for 2 more ball hogs, I say maybe it is Houston that sucks & not Jones.
    I don't feel like I said Jones sucks. I said Jones is a big question mark. Likely attributable to bad fit and definitely attributable to injuries. It's TBD whether or not he can still do all of the things that got people (including myself) really excited at one point.

Kevin McHale is out there somewhere laughing. McHale wasn't the problem, but he was shown the door.

I like the Jones signing. I would prefer Diallo getting 7-10min a game this season, but if Jones gets 20, and Diallo only gets mop up, or 4-5 min, I will be fine. I think Diallo in time will be a stud for us, but right now let Jones play Nick Collison to Diallo's Ibaka.Let Diallo sit and learn, and see if we can get something out of Jones in the meantime.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

He is 6'9" and 24 years old. The concern is his defense from what I have read. If he can at least get to decent defense, he may see some minutes. If he does not improve his defense, we may not see him much. It is on him to prove last year was an aberration.

With this rumored signing and the drafting of Diallo, hopefully Gentry and the Pels can get back to prioritizing the offensive glass. Obviously AD has an advantage over just about anyone in the league at this end. If we run out a lineup of Hill-Davis-Jones, they should compete for almost every miss, then hopefully kick out to an open Jrue or Buddy. Sounds like a decent recipe for success, but transition D was such a problem last year that we got away from it. Hopefully bringing in so many high IQ/motor guys will help solve this without expending too much effort and focus.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Tinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PELICANSFAN View Post
    He is 6'9" and 24 years old. The concern is his defense from what I have read. If he can at least get to decent defense, he may see some minutes. If he does not improve his defense, we may not see him much. It is on him to prove last year was an aberration.
    Where did you read that?
    I don't think anyone that coaches Houston gave a rats tail about defense.
    Nobody on that team was asked to play defense.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Huh. That wasn't some actual threat, by the way. A more attempt at teen angst, "You can't control me, mom/dad!"

Da well.

Here's hoping we get T-Jones from 13-14, than the last two years.

small ball lineup

AD
    Jones
    Hill
    Hield
    Jrue
    SIGN A SF

Quote Originally Posted by JrueDat View Post
    I thought the narrative was nobody wants to play for Nola.
    These are still unproven players so the idea nobody wants to play here still stands. Aside from that it's been a very promising off season IMO. Made a lot of low/ mid risk to high reward moves.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 07-14-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Huh. That wasn't some actual threat, by the way. A more attempt at teen angst, "You can't control me, mom/dad!"

Da well.

Here's hoping we get T-Jones from 13-14, than the last two years.
    That was the last season he was healthy if I'm not mistaken. So if he can stay healthy he should have a solid impact.

At the very, very least. This roster will be competitive. Keep the games closer later. And being more defense oriented will allow us to win more road games.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    So far this is what has happened:

OUT: Gordon, Anderson, Cole, Gee, Babbitt

IN: Hill, Galloway, Moore, Hield, Diallo, Jones

I remember we talked about Batum or Barnes. When we look at all the changes to the roster it looks like we are better now than we were last year.

The theme I see is almost all the new players have a 3 point shot. We got high BBIQ players who seem to be above average defenders.

My assumptions are:
    1. Anderson was weak on defense and was a ball stopper on offense. Terrence Jones is a much better defender and he is way more athletic and can still score but isn't as big of a threat offensively as Ryno. He's an athletic 2way player with high BBIQ. Upgrade over Anderson for this team.

2. Gordon is being replaced by Hield and solid guard Moore. Did we improve here? Big unknown. Gordon became an elite 3 point shooter last season. He is injury prone and had a lot of drama with NOLA. He's a better passer than Hield and more experienced. However, his defense is mediocre and he lost his athleticism. Hield is an average defender at best. He could be an elite 3 point shooter this year. He's a much better rebounder than Gordon. He's got leadership skills and he's charismatic. If Hield can create his own shot, and that's a BIG if, then this will be a very good upgrade. I think he will pull it off and be our 3rd best player. But it will take time. Think Klay Thompson type. I think there's a 65% chance we made an upgrade here.

3. Solomon Hill is better than Qpon and Gee. He is better on defense and he's going to be very aggressive all around. I think he'll get 13.5ppg and give us good defense. We upgraded here.

4. Adding Galloway, Moore and drafting Diallo improved our bench. Diallo is a question mark but he looks like he's going to be good.

We added defense, athleticism, high BBIQ, and good 3 point shooters.

If Solomon Hill gives us a 2 way player and significantly improves the SF spot and if the team stays healthy and if Hield does very well and we play good defense and AD has a good year and if we are CONSISTENT.... Then I think we will get the 7th or 8th seed.

Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Whether it's demps or ferry the bottom line is that they are watching and using the forum. I honestly can't remember a time when more of the ideas floating around here actually happened. Very frugil offseason.
    I would bet $ they don't use this forum. Sure they might have people look here but Dell knows more than anyone here about what actually can happen and what he should try.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I would bet $ they don't use this forum. Sure they might have people look here but Dell knows more than anyone here about what actually can happen and what he should try.
    I'm ******* on myself laughing that someone thinks NBA executives are basing actual transactions off of fan forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    I'm ******* on myself laughing that someone thinks NBA executives are basing actual transactions off of fan forums.
    Lol! If that was the case then yes clean house!

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've made million dollar business decisions based on what 2 dozen homeless guys say on fan forums. And I don't think I have enough fingers and toes to count the number of championships its brought me.

Quote Originally Posted by cmariaou View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've made million dollar business decisions based on what 2 dozen homeless guys say on fan forums. And I don't think I have enough fingers and toes to count the number of championships its brought me.
    You won the championship of business? Are you Donald Trump?
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Good sign, we need the buddy's, hills, moores to shoot at a high percentage, if so this team has some scrappy workman , underrated potential.

Jones suffered peroneal nerve damage. Houston believes that damage is permanent. The Pels are taking a low risk that his nerve damage will heal.
    Not for the injury, Jones is a $12m player.
    Last edited by durun; 07-14-2016 at 03:18 PM.

Morey says he often goes to fan forums for ideas

1-6

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Morey says he often goes to fan forums for ideas
    I'm not sure why people think that's a crazy notion. There are a lot of smart people who understand how the salary caps works and understand the game of basketball. That's all you really need to throw something against wall. Whether or not it sticks or makes sense from a behind the scenes perspective is up the person doing the browsing, since they have inherently more information. Many of you think this is rocket science. It's really not and a smart executive should absolutely be taking advantage of what is essentially a free idea (and labor) source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    It has happened before.

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketba...as-blog/125229

This was obviously not successful and a lot of people laughed it off at the time, but I highly doubt that this is the only time this has happened. Just the first time the actual GM actually admitted it/knew about it.

I also know for a fact that a bunch of front office guys have used this forum in the past. Can't verify that anyone currently there does right now, but it would be very surprising to hear otherwise.

With NBA fans having access to a lot of the same access information (salary cap data, synergy sports, player tracking, online access to scouting reports on foreign and lesser known player) that the GM's have, I actually believe that it will continue to happen more and more. It's kind of like crowdsourcing ideas. You might have 10 amazing basketball minds trying to come up with something, but if you have 20,000 mediocre basketball minds they're going to come up with everything. Weeding through the nonsense is of course time consuming and not always fruitful, but a GM could allocate one person to read through everything written regarding trades and potential acquisitions of the forums and blogs once a week for a few hours and pretty much get the collective ideas of thousands of people who are particularly interested in NBA basketball.

Note-- I also believe that the overwhelming majority of potential trades and signings produced by fans over the years have been either impossible because of salary cap issues or unrealistic because of the players involved.
    audaci favet fortuna (Thanks, Harvey)- Fortune favors the bold.
    R.I.P. to HunnyB/FlyGirl
    Bourbon Street Shots
    Saints247
    @GerrityJoe

My Real Estate Brokerage--WeSellNola.com
    My Vape Stores-- Crescent City Vape

I know for a fact that Hugh Weber used to visit the site frequently. I cannot speak to what he did with the information gained.

Thread Information