Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cheick Diallo!!

Pelicans Cheick Diallo!!

With all the overreaction on the site, how is nobody talking about this kid??

He played well and improved his draft stock at the combine workouts and games. He has been very efficient through the first two summer league games. He plays within his skill set and works hard on defense. And most importantly, if he pans out, it means we actually got value in the draft. Low risk, potentially large reward.

I'll be happy to be the first on his band wagon!

First on better be last off too.

No I'm excited, I don't know if he has the skill to become a high end starter, but he can surely develop into a high energy bench player within a year or so.

He will be a Hall of Famer

I've seen people on here talking about him. People are excited, I just think that most people are doing a good job of tempering their expectations. We've seen plenty of players do well in the summer league to know not to overreact as much on a player's good or bad performances. There are some things in the SL you can see that can translate. Simmons' passing was ridiculous and I think we'll see a lot of brilliant moments mixed with terrible turnovers to his career, for example. But either good/bad shooting or demonstrations of superior athleticism aren't going to translate as well. So watching Cheik run up and down the court every possession is great but will he be able to do that for a full season and how much of an advantage will it be? His shot's been falling (and by all accounts the mechanism of his shooting has undergone a lot of treatment since he was originally seen as a terrible shooter) but is he just on a hot streak? I've seen us all get excited about Seth Curry, Larry Drew, Austin Rivers, Patrick Young, Russ Smith, Pierre Jackson, Jon Brockman, and Denzel Bowles throughout the years of summer league/d-league/offseason performance. Clearly there is a big gap between that and the NBA. Diallo being benched after being considered a major prospect is concerning as well, though there are players who have found success from similar backgrounds as well.

Still, I'm with you in enjoying what Diallo brings and I really hope we're seeing the tip of the iceberg. I've caught myself already thinking a few times that we may have found a bit of a diamond in the rough with him and have envisioned AD and Cheik block parties.
    Last edited by Jabberwalker; 07-11-2016 at 04:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zakzak View Post
    that dumb Gentry killing Asik morale seriously man he is been good when you compare last season then suddenly he sits whole damn first half barely gets minutes what an idiot we need muscle wee need rebound he took of asik jones,ajinca they got no place on this team play Diallo at least he is decent.
    .......if healthy

@Jabberwalker

Last nights performance by Diallo is why Duncan retired today.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Plenty of people have been talking about him, you definitely aren't the first. You just haven't been on the correct threads. Diallo has looked good so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Bert123 View Post
    Plenty of people have been talking about him, you definitely aren't the first. You just haven't been on the correct threads. Diallo has looked good so far!
    True. OP, check the game day threads. Plenty of people have high hopes for this kid. Some hopes might be a little out there, but for the most part we all agree that by going against AD in practice, and getting some time during games, he could be a potential steal for us.

Anyone have a good link for a replay of last night's game? Appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Rheem654 View Post
    Anyone have a good link for a replay of last night's game? Appreciate it
    Ask, and ye shall receive.

Diallo...the greatest to ever do it. Whatever "it" is
    I'm a grinder

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    If he turns into a Kenneth Faried type player I'll be happy.

Cheick Poisonpill Diallo

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    If he turns into a Kenneth Faried type player I'll be happy.
    There are a lot of "ifs" in this statement but, *if* Diallo turns into Faried, and *if* Buddy turns into Ray Allen/Roy/Redd, and *if* AD continues in his progress, and *if* Jrue stays healthy...this is a title team.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 07-11-2016 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    There are a lot of "ifs" in this statement but, *if* Diallo turns into Faried, and *if* Buddy turns into Wade, and *if* AD continues in his progress, and *if* Jrue stays healthy...this is a title team.

lol true.
    Lets go all the way with it. If Diallo becomes Lebron, if Buddy turns into Michael Jordan, if AD turns into Tim Duncan and Jrue turns into magic all we will need is a center to win it all.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    lol true.
    Lets go all the way with it. If Diallo becomes Lebron, if Buddy turns into Michael Jordan, if AD turns into Tim Duncan and Jrue turns into magic all we will need is a center to win it all.
    TBH, the Faried, and Allen/Roy/Redd comparisons have been getting tossed around since people knew who Diallo and Hield were, nobody ever compared them to Lebron and MJ. People do believe AD will be as good as Duncan, however nobody ever confused Jrue for Magic.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 07-11-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    TBH, the Faried, and Wade comparisons have been getting tossed around since people knew who Diallo and Hield were, nobody ever compared them to Lebron and MJ. People do believe AD will be as good as Duncan, however nobody ever confused Jrue for Magic.
    How the heck is Buddy-Wade a good comparison??
    Hey @okcthunder - you guys suck! Our top players are hurt. Some are dead. Some don't even like basketball.And we still kicked y'all's asses!- @TheFakeMonty

Quote Originally Posted by frankatank109 View Post
    How the heck is Buddy-Wade a good comparison??
    My mistake, he was being compared more to Brandon Roy, Ray Allen, and Michael Redd, not Wade. Still, if he can turn into any of those guys...thats a title team.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    lol true.
    Still not far enough:

If Diallo becomes Jesus,
    Buddy turns into Buddha,
    Davis into Cthulu,
    and Jrue into Pikachu

THEN we have a DYNASTY!

I really wish we could see Frazier playing with Diallo and Hield. He would make a huge difference actually having a PG who can create for these guys. Diallo might be averaging around 20 ppg with a PG like Frazier. Doesn't make much sense why we wouldn't have him suited up tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwalker View Post
    Diallo being benched after being considered a major prospect is concerning as well, though there are players who have found success from similar backgrounds as well.
    I don't think he was benched. The NCAA delayed his eligibility until the school began to protest several games into the season. They finally cleared him but at that point he was buried in the rotation behind several upperclassmen. It was no fault of his own and he basically was screwed by the NCAA on a team full of senior front court players. Saying he was benched is disingenuous at best.

Edit: I would add that after watching Monty all those years, we know how hard headed some coaches can be once they set their rotations.

Quote Originally Posted by P_B_&_G View Post
    I don't think he was benched. The NCAA delayed his eligibility until the school began to protest several games into the season. They finally cleared him but at that point he was buried in the rotation behind several upperclassmen. It was no fault of his own and he basically was screwed by the NCAA on a team full of senior front court players. Saying he was benched is disingenuous at best.

Edit: I would add that after watching Monty all those years, we know how hard headed some coaches can be once they set their rotations.
    Didn't know that. Good info. Thanks!

You're welcome, I read it somewhere after the draft. Can't remember where though.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Diallo is probably a steal. I see him as a backup PF or in another lineup as PF with AD at center.

I think he's going to help this team but I just don't know what role he'll be in.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Yeah the NCAA at first said that he didn't complete some necessary classes to finish high school and it was a big back and forth to get it straightened out. Everyone wanted him to return and said he likely could have been a lottery pick next year but after being screwed by the NCAA I don't blame him for wanting to go to the NBA early.

The kid brings to the table exact what the Pels was looking for, high basketball iq, hustle, rebounding, shot blocking, and defense, these are the things he should bring every night. If you notice one thing about him, he seems to be all business on the court and always working.

Thread Information