Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Free Agency and Trade Rumors 2

Crabbe played 79% of his minutes at SF last year.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Even if Crabbe is such and such, like we're suddenly spoiled for choices when it comes to filling our roster?

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Crabbe played 79% of his minutes at SF last year.
    Unless I'm just totally reading this wrong (possible) or its bad data, it says 17.9% (369 minutes).

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/nba-p...s-by-position/

Where are you getting 79%?

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden Park View Post
    Unless I'm just totally reading this wrong (possible) or its bad data, it says 17.9% (369 minutes).

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/nba-p...s-by-position/

Where are you getting 79%?
    Sorry. It was 92% his 1st year, 75% his 2nd, and 62% this past year. 66% of all of his minutes have come at SF.

http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXcXXcrabbal01.html&t=6

Banned
    Guys I know you all covet Batum but he's not a realistic target. We can't even offer him his max, plus he's never once mentioned anything about coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    Guys I know you all covet Batum but he's not a realistic target. We can't even offer him his max, plus he's never once mentioned anything about coming here.
    Meh. We'd be failing as an organization if we didn't at least contact his agent to gauge interest.

Sorry. It was 92% his 1st year, 75% his 2nd, and 62% this past year. 66% of all of his minutes have come at SF.

http://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXcXXcrabbal01.html&t=6
    Dunno what to say to that other than its really bad data. Nylon Calculus is MUCH more accurate with their position data, they actually use the number of minutes. 66% is beyond laughable for anyone that watched any of Portland this year.

Portland had Harkless, Aminu and Gerald Henderson. Where did he play 66% at SF with those 3? Lol, cmon man.

Crabbe is almost exclusively a shooting guard in name, minutes and most importantly in production.

Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Dunno what to say to that other than its really bad data. Nylon Calculus is MUCH more accurate with their position data, they actually use the number of minutes. 66% is beyond laughable for anyone that watched any of Portland this year.

Portland had Harkless, Aminu and Gerald Henderson. Where did he play 66% at SF with those 3? Lol, cmon man.

Crabbe is almost exclusively a shooting guard in name, minutes and most importantly in production.
    When push comes to shove I do recommend Nylon Calculus' estimates over Basketball Reference.

That's fine. I don't know who to believe as I usually look at BbRef.

I will say this however, if Bazemore can be considered a SF I see no reason why Crabbe can't be. He has all the measurements to play the position.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post

I think this is some of the strongest evidence that we are going to make a big push for a SF. Or I should say that they have a good idea that they will get one.

That's fine. I don't know who to believe as I usually look at BbRef.

I will say this however, if Bazemore can be considered a SF I see no reason why Crabbe can't be. He has all the measurements to play the position.
    Well I was really curious at the massive difference so I looked into it. Crabbe played a lot of his minutes with Gerald Henderson, and they likely had them switched at their positions. Gerald guarded the other SF's and was definitely the SF in those situations.

Nylon Calculus analyzes SportVU tracking, so I would definitely use them.

Bazemore defends other SF's. Crabbe doesn't. Your position is who you defend. To me, saying Crabbe can be a SF is the same as saying Kevin Martin or Reggie Miller could be because they are 6-7. I'm not risking $16-18 million on a guy that MIGHT turn into a SF when we just drafted Buddy.

I'm not convinced they will get one. (Although I do hold out hope.) This might also mean Alonzo Gee is opting in before midnight.

Well I was really curious at the massive difference so I looked into it. Crabbe played a lot of his minutes with Gerald Henderson, and they likely had them switched at their positions. Gerald guarded the other SF's and was definitely the SF in those situations.

Bazemore defends other SF's. Crabbe doesn't. Your position is who you defend. To me, saying Crabbe can be a SF is the same as saying Kevin Martin or Reggie Miller could be because they are 6-7. I'm not risking $16-18 million on a guy that MIGHT turn into a SF when we just drafted Buddy.
    A lot of what Basketball Reference does is an estimate based (almost) solely on height. Crabbe is listed at 6-6 while Henderson is listed at 6-5. That's a big part of the discrepancy.

Digging into the potential small forwards and their ability to collect rebounds. Goodness NBA Stats is glorious. This is the adjusted rebounding rate, accounting for "deferred" rebounds that are collected by teammates.

Nicolas Batum: 78.1%
    Chandler Parsons: 75.6%
    Evan Turner: 74.9%
    Kent Bazemore: 74.9%
    Harrison Barnes: 63.7%

One of these sticks out. In a not good way.
    Last edited by David Fisher; 06-29-2016 at 08:48 PM.

That's fine. I simply find it hard to believe that a guy that's listed as 6'6" w/ a 6'11 wingspan and a 8'8" standing reach won't be able to defend the large majority of SFs. Even if he was asked to defend more SGs due to Portlands depth on the wings.

Digging into Crabbe's minutes played at SF according to the site you linked it appears he played well there. Posting an insane ts% and having a net rating even higher than Bazemore while at SF. Small sample size to be sure, but lends credence to Crabbe being able to play SF.

Why can't I qualify stats on NBA Stats though? Or am I just not finding it.

Digging into the potential small forwards and their ability to collect rebounds. Goodness NBA Stats is glorious. This is the adjusted rebounding rate, accounting for "deferred" rebounds that are collected by teammates.

Nicolas Batum: 78.1%
    Chandler Parsons: 75.6%
    Evan Turner: 74.9%
    Kent Bazemore: 74.9%
    Harrison Barnes: 63.7%

One of these sticks out. In a not good way.
    Pretty telling numbers. Honestly I figured that would be the case though.

Pretty telling numbers. Honestly I figured that would be the case though.
    Kind of the thing about most "statheads" like myself. We think we see something with the eye test so we go check the numbers to confirm.

Kind of the thing about most "statheads" like myself. We think we see something with the eye test so we go check the numbers to confirm.
    I definitely agree with that. You should do assists next. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Why can't I qualify stats on NBA Stats though? Or am I just not finding it.
    I'm on a tablet and I always have trouble using the NBA stats site.

I much preferred using sports vu but sadly you can't even pay for a fan membership anymore.

Man, i wish some news about us will come out.
    Seems like we are the only team right now not rumored to do anything

Quote Originally Posted by bdnp1 View Post
    There was a rumor earlier today about us interested in Bazemore.

My guess is tomorrow night there will be a lot of stuff leaking out. I still remember when Dell rolled up on Evans with a contract at midnight. So hyped at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bdnp1 View Post
    I would not read that to mean they will not do anything. They just operate with more secrecy than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Lelicans View Post
    If Batum was willing to come here I'm givI got the amnesty to Asik immediately. Unless there is another option like moving Reke or Asiks contracts. If that's the only option we have I'm taking it considering how much the cap is going up. Maybe we can work out a double sign and trade with Charlotte for Ryno. I think they could actually use Reke considering they brought in Stephenson who is a very similiar player.

Thread Information