Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Free Agency and Trade Rumors

The Franchise
    We are so desperate for a SF, I would take Barnes. I think he does play good defense and has a good low post game which I don't think golden state utilized enough. I'm sure everyone would take Batum or a few other before Barnes but I think I'd rather him than what we have.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by shanesy View Post
    What is the likelihood of them trading Iguodala if they truly are going after Durant, Whiteside or Noah? He would be perfect in our system and could be the leader. One can dream.
    On the one hand, we'd Iggy would be perfect. Knows Gentry's system and we could take him into cap space. On the other hand, them trading Iggy means they're getting Durant. And that aint good for anybody in the West!

But I actually think we're a favorite to get Iggy if it goes down that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden Park View Post
    1. Remember, they offered him 4/$64. He is likely going to command over 4/$80. BIG difference, and it could be said that GS recognized his limitations with that low ball offer.

2. Harrison Barnes in the 2016 Playoffs (24 games):

8.6 PER
    38.5% FG
    9.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.3 apg

+2.1 Net Rating with Barnes OFF the court

This is the guy you want to kill our cap for?
    That was GS starting offer do of course they are going to try and get him as cheap as possible. Everybody keeps acting like its guaranteed he will get $20 million and it simply is not. Sure he didn't have the best playoffs but what he did is about what he's asked to do on that team. Here his role wouldn't be much different with slightly more touches a game. He has steadily improved throughout his career and he is about to enter his prime where players take big leaps. Barnes would be option 3a/3b here and I don't see how that is bad for us but good for GS considering it will cost us about $2 million more per year. If there are better options we can realistically get I'm all for it but I don't think we land any of those guys. We have a very good shot at Barnes and I don't think it's going to be at the max. GS could match but I don't think they will because of their pursuit for one of the superstar players out there. I'm betting on him improving and after watching just about every game he has played in GS he shows flashes of being a very good SF who would fit in perfectly here as the 4th scoring option. I think Barnes at $16-$18 million is a good signing unless someone else better is available but like I said I don't think that will happen. If something presents itself next year I think he is a good trade piece if that is the route to better our team.

The Franchise
    Think of this way, if we overpay someone and they aren't working out who would be easier to trade. If you don't say Barnes over most anyone else your delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    On the one hand, we'd Iggy would be perfect. Knows Gentry's system and we could take him into cap space. On the other hand, them trading Iggy means they're getting Durant. And that aint good for anybody in the West!

But I actually think we're a favorite to get Iggy if it goes down that way.
    I would love to get Iggy and I think there is a strong possibility of this happening. Fits exactly what Gentry said he wants with a 6'6 ball handler who can play SF. It's not just Durant but guys like Horford, Whiteside, and Batum would have them trying to dump Iggy. Possible we could get a 3rd team involved and dump Reke allowing us to still be a player in FA. Iggy would be a great stop gap buying is more time to find our long term SF. He also has a great relationship with Jrue and knows Gentry. I feel pretty good about is filling the SF position either through FA or a trade like this. Iggy would be great for us.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Well yes I know that.
    Around 16-18 sound about right?
    Starting that might be right. Maybe even a little high.
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Again, we don't live in a two team league. More than the Pelicans and Warriors will be bidding for Barnes's services. With money to burn. That will inflate his cost.

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    Think of this way, if we overpay someone and they aren't working out who would be easier to trade. If you don't say Barnes over most anyone else your delusional.
    Exactly. I think if something better presents itself we won't be stuck and have a player who is very move able. I just think what he offers right now is a very good fit for us and if he continues to improve we got a very good player at our biggest position of need. I look at guys like Caroll and Crowder who I would love to have. IMO Barnes is ever bit as good as them with potential to take big leaps and be much better. I'll just let it all play out and we can see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    Again, we don't live in a two team league. More than the Pelicans and Warriors will be bidding for Barnes's services. With money to burn. That will inflate his cost.
    If he's not good at basketball according to you then why? Why will teams pay $20 million for a player that just isn't a good basketball player? Because of his name? This makes no sense to say someone sucks then oh they are getting the max so we shouldn't go after them lol. Are you smarter then every GM? Because GMs have made mistakes on players in the past doesn't mean they are stupid and will just spend $ to say they did it.

The Franchise
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    That was GS starting offer do of course they are going to try and get him as cheap as possible. Everybody keeps acting like its guaranteed he will get $20 million and it simply is not. Sure he didn't have the best playoffs but what he did is about what he's asked to do on that team. Here his role wouldn't be much different with slightly more touches a game. He has steadily improved throughout his career and he is about to enter his prime where players take big leaps. Barnes would be option 3a/3b here and I don't see how that is bad for us but good for GS considering it will cost us about $2 million more per year. If there are better options we can realistically get I'm all for it but I don't think we land any of those guys. We have a very good shot at Barnes and I don't think it's going to be at the max. GS could match but I don't think they will because of their pursuit for one of the superstar players out there. I'm betting on him improving and after watching just about every game he has played in GS he shows flashes of being a very good SF who would fit in perfectly here as the 4th scoring option. I think Barnes at $16-$18 million is a good signing unless someone else better is available but like I said I don't think that will happen. If something presents itself next year I think he is a good trade piece if that is the route to better our team.
    I agree with this, also there could be a sign and trade option. I think GS would like Ryno so we do a swap of contracts. Yes I'm aware teams have cap space blah blah blah but if you want to go over the cap you need to do some sign and trades. We would have a MLE instead of the small exception AND we could sign Bazemore before the Ryno/Barnes deal depending on some cap moves.

We are so desperate for a SF, I would take Barnes. I think he does play good defense and has a good low post game which I don't think golden state utilized enough. I'm sure everyone would take Batum or a few other before Barnes but I think I'd rather him than what we have.
    I definitely agree he was held back a little. He didn't step up the few chances he got in the playoffs but he also didn't have the confidence when sitting in the corner for most of the season playing a limited role. He showed a great skill set plenty of games I watched and if he could just improve on that being more consistent then he is worth every penny we will pay. Shooting 40% from 3, averaging 15 ppg, and playing very good defense with his versatility at the SF/PF is exactly what we need. He can be a great 3 and D player but he has the potential to be much more and I will take that gamble unless something better presents itself.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    Starting that might be right. Maybe even a little high.
    How much cap space is available assuming no Gordon and RA?

I agree with this, also there could be a sign and trade option. I think GS would like Ryno so we do a swap of contracts. Yes I'm aware teams have cap space blah blah blah but if you want to go over the cap you need to do some sign and trades. We would have a MLE instead of the small exception AND we could sign Bazemore before the Ryno/Barnes deal depending on some cap moves.

Yea every team has cap but that doesn't mean they don't want to double up. A sign and trade allows them to go sign a stud while being able to add another huge piece to their team. If we can sign a stud FA and keep Ryno I'm all for that. I still think he is a very valuable piece to our team but the question is how much will he get paid and that is up in the air. I love Bazemore but after drafting Hield I would rather spend that $ else where. Instead of signing Bazemore we need to find our own and Ennis is someone I think can be that guy. I had BDJ as a Baze clone for us which sadly isn't an option anymore but I think we can find that guy or already have him.

The Franchise
    There are a few players I want. Okafor would be nice and he gives us a Monroe/ lesser cousins type production for a fraction of the cost. Luwawu because I want young wings that can switch between sg and SF when needed and lastly I want Ben McLemore. I think he needs a fresh start and could give us valuable minutes off the bench. Getting these 3 players cheap then we can spend a lot on one or two players. Depending on trades we could have those 3, sign Barnes and still resign Ryno

Jrue Frazier
    Buddy, McLemore
    Barnes/FA, Qpon, Luwawu
    Davis, Ryno, Diallo
    Asik, Okafor

Unless you find me a quote (preferably from the last 8 months or so) of Tyreke saying he won't come off the bench, I'm just not buying it. Here's a fact: 99% of NBA players want to start, and Tyreke is no different. But that in no way means he'll be a malcontent and won't do what's best for the team.

Once we renounce Gordon and Anderson, we'll have more than enough money for free agency. The only thing the extra cap space would do is give us money to overpay somebody we'll regret paying in 12 months. There really isn't a max cap worthy small forward that is attainable, so why trade Tyreke to overpay a Harrison Barnes, Kent Bazemore, or Chandler Parsons.

Only way I trade Tyreke is if it's for a player. Cap Space doesn't rebound, defend or shoot well enough to help this team!
    Unless you find me a quote within the last 8 months of Tyreke saying he will happily come off the bench, I'm going to believe the history of what happened last time we tried to do it.

I only get rid of Tyreke if it allows us to sign Batum, Parsons or a player like that. But I'm very willing to get rid of him because I think we have a decent shot at someone we'll need the money for.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Unless you find me a quote within the last 8 months of Tyreke saying he will happily come off the bench, I'm going to believe the history of what happened last time we tried to do it.

I only get rid of Tyreke if it allows us to sign Batum, Parsons or a player like that. But I'm very willing to get rid of him because I think we have a decent shot at someone we'll need the money for.
    Is Parsons actually good??!? Plus he's akways hurt. Is that really what we want?!

When has Gentry ever had a healthy enough or deep enough roster to legitimately bring Tyreke off the bench?!?

You're creating a narrative for Tyreke that we legitimately have NO proof of.

There are a few players I want. Okafor would be nice and he gives us a Monroe/ lesser cousins type production for a fraction of the cost. Luwawu because I want young wings that can switch between sg and SF when needed and lastly I want Ben McLemore. I think he needs a fresh start and could give us valuable minutes off the bench. Getting these 3 players cheap then we can spend a lot on one or two players. Depending on trades we could have those 3, sign Barnes and still resign Ryno

Jrue Frazier
    Buddy, McLemore
    Barnes/FA, Qpon, Luwawu
    Davis, Ryno, Diallo
    Asik, Okafor
    I would love to have this group. Get rid of Asik and just keep Ajinca. McLemore backing up Hield could be a great duo. He needs to improve of course but he still has plenty of time and would fit well in Gentrys system. I think Okafor would be a great fit next to AD but I would gladly take Noel or Embid as well. This offseason definitely is not over for us. Look for Dell to make some trades to improve this team. I'm all for moving future picks to get young players like Okafor, Noel, or Luwawu. Playoffs here we come!

Parsons is very good but that's not the problem. His injury history is scary as **** especially considering the bad luck we have had. It makes it very tough to pay that much $ for Parsons after everything we have been through. I just don't think we can take that kind of risk but I wouldn't hate it if we did. If Parsons beats the injury bug then he's a great get.

Reke needs to go watch as much film of Livingston as he can. I think that would be a perfect role for Reke to have and Gentry knows how to work with that kind of player. Reke and Livingston have a very similar skill set and size. There is no denying the talent Reke has but if he won't adjust his play style then he will not work here. We can't go an entire quarter without AD getting a touch from a pass. The only times I have seen AD visually frustrated at another player is when he's on the court with Reke and it happened a lot.

Tyreke better come off the bench. I doubt he would make too much noise being that he is in a contract year and will more than likely do whatever it takes to get as much money as he can next offseason. I hope we keep him and he plays his tail off for that next contract. 6th man of the year!! If we are dealt a crap hand with injuries again and he's not one of them then trade him mid-season. But if we are healthy fighting for a playoff spot and he's part of the reason then keep him all season.

I think if we add Harrison Barnes and Jordan Hill(or a decent 4) with a Buddy Hield playing ROY type ball, we can make the playoffs again. I think that team could be better than 2 years ago. I'm think Buddy will he better than Eric Gordon was for us. I think Barnes and Hill combined will be better or even with Ryno. A 2nd unit of Frazier, Reke, QPon, Hill, and Ajinca could be sweet! Actually I hope Diallo is in there over Ajinca.

C: Asik, Ajinca
    PF: AD, Hill, Diallo
    SF: Barnes, QPon, DC
    SG: Buddy, Reke
    PG: Jrue, Frazier

Small ball lineup: Jrue, Buddy, Reke, Barnes, & AD. With 2nd units of Frazier, Reke, QPon, Diallo, & Hill or Reke, QPon, DC, Diallo/Hill, and Hill/Ajinca
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-25-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Is Parsons actually good??!? Plus he's akways hurt. Is that really what we want?!

When has Gentry ever had a healthy enough or deep enough roster to legitimately bring Tyreke off the bench?!?

You're creating a narrative for Tyreke that we legitimately have NO proof of.
    Tyreke has been asked to come off the bench before while here. Why are people suddenly pretending he wasn't pissed off as hell about it? What is with the revisionist history? This was common knowledge around here a couple years ago.

The whole plan when we first got him was off the bench. We tried bringing him off the bench after we didn't bring Aminu back and he struggled until we moved him back to the starting lineup. He even talked about how it threw off his rhythm coming off the bench. I don't believe at all that Tyreke is suddenly going to be happy or good coming off the bench when we tried it just 2 years ago.

Tyreke has been asked to come off the bench before while here. Why are people suddenly pretending he wasn't pissed off as hell about it? What is with the revisionist history? This was common knowledge around here a couple years ago.

The whole plan when we first got him was off the bench. We tried bringing him off the bench after we didn't bring Aminu back and he struggled until we moved him back to the starting lineup. He even talked about how it threw off his rhythm coming off the bench. I don't believe at all that Tyreke is suddenly going to be happy or good coming off the bench when we tried it just 2 years ago.
    Tell me where you heard he was pissed off? He agreed to sign here as the 6th man and 2 years ago he agreed to come off the bench again before Jrue went down. But you know rumors are better than facts.

1-6

I don't remember him being pissed off about coming off the bench. Now I'm sure he wants to start, I mean what player doesn't. One thing different this time though like I said, this is a contract year for him. He can't complain too much or not try his hardest when coming off the bench. Back then he could of moaned more and purposely not gave it his all, but he can't do the latter for sure.

If I'm Gentry, I tell him that I will try my hardest to get you that 6th man of the year trophy if you listen/play like I want you too. lol. He's never gonna get a MVP trophy, so why not try for the 6th man lol. If he is just in the top 5 for that trophy, he will get a nice chunk of change next year. If he starts and has the same season he may not get as much money as he would being up for an award lol. So if I'm Demps, I'm selling that angle to his agent lol
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-25-2016 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 504ByrdGang View Post
    Tell me where you heard he was pissed off? He agreed to sign here as the 6th man and 2 years ago he agreed to come off the bench again before Jrue went down. But you know rumors are better than facts.
    Go dig through the forum archives. It's been discussed quite a bit over the years. If you are unwilling or can't remember that's on you.

But let's assume Tyreke is more than happy to come off the bench. . .he wasn't good coming off the bench previously and spoke directly about how it threw off his rhythm. These are the facts.

I'd rather trade him and have the cap to fill out the roster than force him into a role he is at least not comfortable or good in, and I believe (and has been discussed at length here multiple times in the past) is not happy in.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    I don't remember him being pissed off about coming off the bench. Now I'm sure he wants to start, I mean what player doesn't. One thing different this time though like I said, this is a contract year for him. He can't complain too much or not try his hardest when coming off the bench. Back then he could of moaned more and purposely not gave it his all, but he can't do the latter for sure.

If I'm Gentry, I tell him that I will try my hardest to get you that 6th man of the year trophy if you listen/play like I want you too. lol. He's never gonna get a MVP trophy, so why not try for the 6th man or most improved lol
    Exactly on your contract year with his injury history you won't hear a peep from him. Every player wants to start even Gordon commented on coming off the bench and wasn't high on it. People are 3rd and 4th hand rumors as facts and its funny.

Go dig through the forum archives. It's been discussed quite a bit over the years. If you are unwilling or can't remember that's on you.

But let's assume Tyreke is more than happy to come off the bench. . .he wasn't good coming off the bench previously and spoke directly about how it threw off his rhythm. These are the facts.

I'd rather trade him and have the cap to fill out the roster than force him into a role he is at least not comfortable or good in, and I believe (and has been discussed at length here multiple times in the past) is not happy in.
    Let's say we trade Tyreke, who's the back up guard.what happens if Jrue goes down again? The only back up guard FA are Jennings, Vasquez, and Rivers.
    Last edited by 504ByrdGang; 06-25-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Thread Information