Pelicans Report

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Free Agency and Trade Rumors

Since all comparisons are allowed to fit everyone's argument here is Barnes and Bazemore comparison from 2013-2016. I'm guessing we should only count last year though. So should be not expect Barnes to keep improving as Bazemore has? Of course not because that wouldn't fit what you're trying to argue.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Link below is comparing this year. Barnes per game beats him in just about every category but steals, blocks, and rebounds by very little. Barnes has a better FG and 3 point %. Oh and since Barnes shrunk during the playoffs what did Bazemore do? Barnes shot 34% from 3 point to Bazemores 26% along with 38% FG to Bazemores 36%. No Barnes didn't play particularly well but Bazemore was even worse. I'm sure the argument will be oh he had more rebounds lol and more points on 3+ attempts per game. A whole 2 more rebounds per game while Barnes was going against rebounders like Ibaka, Love, and Thompson.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

This is all for a player who is 3 years younger with lots of room to improve still a couple years out of his prime while Bazemore is nearing the end in a couple of years.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-28-2016 at 02:55 PM.

speaking of barnes:

GA, I think you are really arguing an argument no one is really making.

Barnes is a solid starter. We all pretty much agree on that. He is an above average defender and can hit open shots decently though not ideally.

If both players were going to command identical salaries then it would probably be a toss up for who to go after. However thats not the case.

Furthermore signing Bazemore could open up the door to signing someone like Dudley to be a swing role player this team needs. Being able to step into positions 2-4(even 5 occasionally) and doesnt try to do too much so he stays efficient. Probably still leave us room to add another low cost prospect role player.

If I am looking at a closing lineup of Jrue, Evans/Hield, Bazemore/Qpon, Dudley/Cunningham and Davis vs Jrue, Evans/Hield, Barnes/Qpon, Barnes/Cunningham, Davis, Im not sure the on the court difference is all that much.

What I am sure of though is that going forward, Bazemore/Dudley are much better/flexible/less risky assets you can use to nab that long term cornerstone piece in FA or a trade. Or they at the minimum won't be major walls to getting a major difference maker.

Barnes is a very high risk asset to acquire for this organization. If it isn't a homerun you have another difficult to move, high price contract on your hands. We aren't in a position to take that risk. And when you have alternative options with similar total output but retain flexibility and are lower risk assets to acquire, you take it.
    Last edited by N.O.Bronco; 06-28-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwego15 View Post
    speaking of barnes:

Good stuff I hope they offer him a max so Pelicans don't have a shot. I would hate to pay HB so much money

Quote Originally Posted by Bert123 View Post
    Good stuff I hope they offer him a max so Pelicans don't have a shot. I would hate to pay HB so much money
    Someone is going to or come close to it. There is a cap floor as well as a ceiling and I think people suggesting Barnes will come in at 18 million for anyone not GS, is deluding themselves.

The only team that has a chance at keeping Barnes number lower is GS if he is serious about wanting to remain there.

speaking of barnes:

Go Philly offer him the max so you can be right back in the top of the lottery again!

NBA Free Agency and Trade Rumors

It's not worth it.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-28-2016 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    When do we get to the "Barnes probably costs $20M more than Bazemore over four years" portion of this discussion? Or are you just going to keep ignoring it and act like we're comparing similar contracts?

6'8" 230 and 23 years old is the extent of the argument for Barnes. Harrison Barnes is less productive, and more expensive. Because restricted free agency is a thing that exists.

Barnes for 4/$90M+ or Bazemore for 4/$70M?
    Bazemore has had 2 decent season and Barnes has had 4!! Plus they played on the same team and Bazemore couldn't beat him out!! And no way in hell would Bazemore make Team USA! He's too small to play the 3 and not good enough to beat out so many better 2 guards in the NBA! Barnes is 3 years younger and has played better for double the amount of seasons! Bazemore has played in one more season than Barnes too. Barnes is the better player and if you don't see that then I don't know what to tell you. Bazemore couldn't even play for Golden State when Barnes was getting 9 ppg and 4 boards!!

Bazemore put up decent numbers on a terrible Laker team. Barnes would of put up even better numbers on that team IMO. Bazemore played small forward with the Hawks. If Iggy was on that team, Bazemore would of likely had barely any of the production he had last season IMO.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-28-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post

Barnes is a solid starter. We all pretty much agree on that. He is an above average defender and can hit open shots decently though not ideally.

If both players were going to command identical salaries then it would probably be a toss up for who to go after. However thats not the case.

Furthermore signing Bazemore could open up the door to signing someone like Dudley to be a swing role player this team needs. Being able to step into positions 2-4(even 5 occasionally) and doesnt try to do too much so he stays efficient. Probably still leave us room to add another low cost prospect role player.

If I am looking at a closing lineup of Jrue, Evans/Hield, Bazemore/Qpon, Dudley/Cunningham and Davis vs Jrue, Evans/Hield, Barnes/Qpon, Barnes/Cunningham, Davis, Im not sure the on the court difference is all that much.

What I am sure of though is that going forward, Bazemore/Dudley are much better/flexible/less risky assets you can use to nab that long term cornerstone piece in FA or a trade. Or they at the minimum won't be major walls to getting a major difference maker.

Barnes is a very high risk asset to acquire for this organization. If it isn't a homerun you have another difficult to move, high price contract on your hands. We aren't in a position to take that risk. And when you have alternative options with similar total output but retain flexibility and are lower risk assets to acquire, you take it.
    Well said. And Barnes is going to receive the max. The only question is what team is going to offer it.

"I'm not going to allow my putative owner to answer that question, this is an NBA related press conference. Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell have collectively sung their praises of Tom and if uh ESPN has a problem with that tell Mr. Skipper to call me at my office."

speaking of barnes:

Makes sense, they have a crap ton of cap space that they actually *need* to fill to be at the cap floor.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    Bazemore has had 2 decent season and Barnes has had 4!! Plus they played on the same team and Bazemore couldn't beat him out!!
    And one will cost at or near the max and the other will likely come notably cheaper and allow us better cap/asset flexibility while acquiring someone with similar, if not better output over recent seasons.

So Philly is gonna go after Barnes. Barnes plays the 3. Ben Simmons... is he the 4? Wait, Okafor plays the 4. Is Okafor the 5 now? Wait what does Noel play?

Man...

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    So Philly is gonna go after Barnes. Barnes plays the 3. Ben Simmons... is he the 4? Wait, Okafor plays the 4. Is Okafor the 5 now? Wait what does Noel play?

Man...
    Sacramento has like 5 Centers now.

Like I said you actually present a solid argument. I guess you haven't listened to what some of the experts around here have been saying lol. Because it definitely has nothing to do with Barnes being good at basketball and nothing about Bazemore being a similiar player. It's a lot of Barnes sucks because of his playoffs but Bazemore had a rebounding and block % that puts him in the clear. What I last posted won't likely get a response because anything that proves them wrong on these stats and who has been player gets ignored for some other advanced stat to be thrown out and fit their argument. I don't see how Bazemore/Dudley is a better route when they will cost $4-$6 million more when Barnes does what both of them do with a hell of a lot more room to improve. I'll take Barnes/QPon/Ennis all day everyday for the $4-$6 million less over Bazemore/Dudley/QPon.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-28-2016 at 03:41 PM.

And one will cost at or near the max and the other will likely come notably cheaper and allow us better cap/asset flexibility while acquiring someone with similar, if not better output over recent seasons.
    For the life of me I can't understand why he is going to get trashed then the same people turn around and say he is going to get max. You don't get max being a trash or average player. Their are reasons you get max or near it and that's not because of your name or teams just having $ to spend. These people giving these contracts are not stupid so this just makes very little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post

Man...
    Simmons is supposedly going to play the 4.

My question is, they also drafted Luwawu to groom and they already have Robert Covington on one of the best cost/performance contracts in the NBA. Not to mention Dario Saric blowing up overseas and eventually finding his way to Philly. Why throw ridiculous money at Barnes? Seems like they should be more interested in getting a complimentary PG to Simmons game.

"The Vertical Front-Office Insider Bobby Marks, a 20-year executive with the Nets"

This is the guy who wrote the article. He has Barnes listed as getting a near max offer.

Anybody that tries to argue with GA about Barnes is wasting their time. Dude won't listen to anything and he is the biggest HB homer I have ever seen. Not even Warriors fans want Barnes back Lol.

I hope we can get a sit down with Evan Fournier. Would love to sign this kid. He is a similiar player to Klay Thompson and would fit Gentrys system perfectly. Not ideal at SF but with a little added muscle and strength he could hold his own. The problem is the good teams we have to actually beat in the playoffs might present a little problem. Still would sign this kid in a heartbeat and I have him up there near the top of my list with realistic options we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert123 View Post
    Anybody that tries to argue with GA about Barnes is wasting their time. Dude won't listen to anything and he is the biggest HB homer I have ever seen. Not even Warriors fans want Barnes back Lol.
    Lol!

My question is, they also drafted Luwawu to groom and they already have Robert Covington on one of the best cost/performance contracts in the NBA. Not to mention Dario Saric blowing up overseas and eventually finding his way to Philly. Why throw ridiculous money at Barnes? Seems like they should be more interested in getting a complimentary PG to Simmons game.
    Yes I agree. Seems kind of crazy that they'd want another wing player. Maybe they are thinking GS will match whatever offer so they are going to use one of their wings as a S&T to get him. I could definitely see GS doing something like that.

Don't think it will happen. Doesn't make much sense but if it does in throwing a protected 1st at them for Covington. Would love to get this kid in a Pelican uniform on that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    I hope we can get a sit down with Evan Fournier. Would love to sign this kid. He is a similiar player to Klay Thompson and would fit Gentrys system perfectly. Not ideal at SF but with a little added muscle and strength he could hold his own. The problem is the good teams we have to actually beat in the playoffs might present a little problem. Still would sign this kid in a heartbeat and I have him up there near the top of my list with realistic options we have.
    Doubt Orlando is going to let him go after shipping Oladipo to OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by PelsFan2313 View Post
    Doubt Orlando is going to let him go after shipping Oladipo to OKC.
    True I forgot about that! Damn I doubt he gets away. Would be stupid of them.

Thread Information