Pelicans Report

Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Free Agency and Trade Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why the Wizards for example would agree to a sign and trade to get Anderson and give up an asset when they can sign him as a free agent?
    Is it to do with the cap hold?
    Because the might want to sign 2 FAs and double up. Every team has room but that doesn't mean they only want to get 1 good player when they can pull off a sign and trade and make their team that much better. That's the only thing I can really think of why and it makes a lot of sense for a team to go that route. IMO a sign and trade is just as likely as it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why the Wizards for example would agree to a sign and trade to get Anderson and give up an asset when they can sign him as a free agent?
    Is it to do with the cap hold?
    A player has an incentive to do a S&T because he gets higher yearly raises (7.5% vs only 4.5%). When you are talking about millions of dollars that can end up being a good amount of money.

I also haven't looked at how the Wizards cap looks but it could be that they might want to give up a player anyway to be able to sign multiple free agents. Doing a S&T for Anderson gives Ryno more money, allows the Wizards to move a player they might not want as much and clear more cap space, and allows us to collect an asset.

Most recently the Wizards did a S&T when Ariza went to Houston that we were a part of.

All that said, yes they probably could just offer Ryno slightly more money and not deal with a S&T.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Not true at all. If we get Barnes in earlier and he feels like GS is looking for someone else we can get a deal done very quickly. This gives GS very little time and I'm sure they feel confident enough to get either Durant or Horford and if not them possibly signing a Batum or Parsons to fill that role. If Barnes signs an offer sheet with us early GS will likely not be enough time to match it. If Barnes signs for an average of $18 million a year that's what his contract is.
    Your opinion being different does not mean my opinion is wrong. They are all opinions. Which is why I said we should wait and see. You keep throwing out ideal scenarios, but life usually isn't ideal.

The only thing we can do is see what happens. After the dust settles we can discuss how good or bad it was. Just don't pull a disappearing act like you did in the finals again.

People are also knocking Barnes rebounding in the playoffs when 90% of the time he was having to rebound against Ibaka, Love/Thompson, and other big men which any SF would have trouble against those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Your opinion being different does not mean my opinion is wrong. They are all opinions. Which is why I said we should wait and see. You keep throwing out ideal scenarios, but life usually isn't ideal.

The only thing we can do is see what happens. After the dust settles we can discuss how good or bad it was. Just don't pull a disappearing act like you did in the finals again.
    Never once said your opinion was wrong. Up until now every opinion you had was stated as fact like he's terrible and blah blah. When all I have said is what he is and what I think his game can go to. Lol disappearing act? I was there for every game but a couple. Did you hear me saying anything about his 18 point game? No but everyone else was pretty quiet for his good games. Excuses were being thrown out for anytime he did good while bashing him the second he did bad. Sorry I have a life and couldn comment up to the minute for every game of Barnes. Didn't know I had to go defend him for everything because I think we should sign him. Didn't even read what comments were made but it's pretty funny that now I'm hearing quite a few were all giddy the second he had a bad game yet disappeared themselves for the good ones. Quite hypocritical if you ask me.

NBA Free Agency and Trade Rumors

Never once said your opinion was wrong. Up until now every opinion you had was stated as fact like he's terrible and blah blah.
    In the playoffs he was terrible. There is no denying that. You should be secure enough to admit he was down right garbage throughout the playoffs. But as a player overall I've always viewed him as average.

Average means I'd sign him to a fair contract. However I do not think we will be able to get him for one because Golden State will just match.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-28-2016 at 12:08 AM.

In the playoffs he was terrible. There is no denying that. You should be secure enough to admit he was down right garbage throughout the playoffs. But as a player overall I've always viewed him as average.

Average means I'd sign him to a fair contract. However I do not think we will be able to get him for one because Golden State will just match.
    He was not garbage throughout the playoffs that is a complete exaggeration. Being asked to play your role is not garbage but whatever you'd like to think go ahead. He had some very bad games which dropped the stats that you love to throw out big time. He had 3-4 games every series that could have easily been 16-20 points if his role was just a little bigger. He was asked to do the dirty work all playoffs and he did his job. Like I said a couple of bad games each series doesn't mean much when rating a player. Average players don't get team USA invites and have a pay day near max coming for them. Just because you want to think he's average definitely does not mean he is. Obviously quite a few people agree with me who know a lot more than any of us. He's not getting paid near max and playing for Team USA because of his name.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-28-2016 at 12:23 AM.

Because the might want to sign 2 FAs and double up. Every team has room but that doesn't mean they only want to get 1 good player when they can pull off a sign and trade and make their team that much better. That's the only thing I can really think of why and it makes a lot of sense for a team to go that route. IMO a sign and trade is just as likely as it was before.
    A player has an incentive to do a S&T because he gets higher yearly raises (7.5% vs only 4.5%). When you are talking about millions of dollars that can end up being a good amount of money.

I also haven't looked at how the Wizards cap looks but it could be that they might want to give up a player anyway to be able to sign multiple free agents. Doing a S&T for Anderson gives Ryno more money, allows the Wizards to move a player they might not want as much and clear more cap space, and allows us to collect an asset.

Most recently the Wizards did a S&T when Ariza went to Houston that we were a part of.

All that said, yes they probably could just offer Ryno slightly more money and not deal with a S&T.

Thanks

NBA Free Agency and Trade Rumors

He was not garbage throughout the playoffs that is a complete exaggeration. Being asked to play your role is not garbage but whatever you'd like to think go ahead. He had some very bad games which dropped the stats that you love to throw out big time. He had 3-4 games every series that could have easily been 16-20 points if his role was just a little bigger. He was asked to do the dirty work all playoffs and he did his job. Like I said a couple of bad games each series doesn't mean much when rating a player. Average players don't get team USA invites and have a pay day near max coming for them. Just because you want to think he's average definitely does not mean he is. Obviously quite a few people agree with me who know a lot more than any of us. He's not getting paid near max and playing for Team USA because of his name.
    There's so many things wrong with this post that I don't even know where to start with this.

I especially like how to refute Barnes actual numbers during the playoffs you just completely write them off (or say it was his role even though he had the same role last year and didn't suck) and resort to the same old, he "could have" scored more. Aka, "potential". Hey, I rode in an elevator once with Kate Beckinsale. I totally "could have" got her. It counts!

He plays at the thinnest position in the NBA during an Olympics run where numerous NBA players have already backed out or couldn't go due to injury. He was the reserve to the reserve to the reserve, yet somehow we've reached the point where his production has been so mediocre and average that the only way to justify his price tag is to pretend this is significant?

This has literally reached the same level as when I used to have arguments with someone who said Drummond was better than AD.

All I can say at this point is, Cool Story Bro. You're certainly writing a novel about Barnes. I'm finished with this until we see what his contract is.
    Last edited by Mythrol; 06-28-2016 at 01:38 AM.

My top 5 small forwards that we could possibly sign(not listing Batum or Parsons cause I think we have zero chance to sign them):

1. Harrison Barnes (would be a perfect fit IMO and I hope they try their hardest to sign him. IMO he's the only one out all SFs not named KD or LeBron that has a chance to be a star)
    2. Jeff Green (not the most consistent, but can do just about everything good to average, like his size for small ball 4)
    3. Kent Bazemore (he would be my 2nd option if not for his height, love his game but want that 6'7"-6'9" small forward)
    4. Evan Turner (if we signed him, I would hope to dump Reke for some type of shooter)
    5. Marvin Williams (probably the cheapest option that could give us a really good small ball 4 and he's improved his 3 point shooting a lot)

That's my want list. Allen Crabbe was close to making my list, but he doesn't fit my height requirement. Can't rebound and maybe not too great defensively. The only reason Bazemore makes my list is cause of his rebounding & defense. Anyone other than those 5, I really don't want. I would rather have Tyreke & QPon split time there starting depending on the matchup.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 06-28-2016 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post
    My top 5 small forwards that we could possibly sign(not listing Batum or Parsons cause I think we have zero chance to sign them):

1. Harrison Barnes (would be a perfect fit IMO and I hope they try their hardest to sign him. IMO he's the only one out all SFs not named KD or LeBron that has a chance to be a star)
    2. Jeff Green (not the most consistent, but can do just about everything good to average, like his size for small ball 4)
    3. Kent Bazemore (he would be my 2nd option if not for his height, love his game but want that 6'7"-6'9" small forward)
    4. Evan Turner (if we signed him, I would hope to dump Reke for some type of shooter)
    5. Marvin Williams (probably the cheapest option that could give us a really good small ball 4 and he's improved his 3 point shooting a lot)

That's my want list. Allen Crabbe was close to making my list, but he doesn't fit my height requirement. Can't rebound and maybe not too great defensively. The only reason Bazemore makes my list is cause of his rebounding & defense. Anyone other than those 5, I really don't want. I would rather have Tyreke & QPon split time there starting depending on the matchup.
    GuardianAngel25 with a second account?

Jokes!

I think you will find that Crabbe is a decent defender.
    Most Blazer fans say he is the second best defender behind Aminu.

Plus if Crabbe can't defend the more physical SF's.....that's where Cunningham earns his minutes!

This is why I am more open to signing either Crabbe or Bazemore for the 16-18M range rather than say Barnes for the 20-22M range.

If I can get either for that price (16-18) then I will be happy with either of the three.

Do not want Jeff Green who can't hit the 3 or Marvin Williams who can't defend the quicker SF's.
    Plus they are both over 30 and not in the age bracket of AD and BH.
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 06-28-2016 at 02:24 AM.

There are reports that Sacto is high on Ryno.
    Wizz does not have a players to send in S&T.

Maybo S&T of Ryno for Koufos, BUT ONLY with stretching Asik.
    I am not sold on stretching Asik, but Koufos is a big upgrade on him. 2 years left with third as a PO.
    Salary around 8-8,7. Koufos is 27 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    There are reports that Sacto is high on Ryno.
    Wizz does not have a players to send in S&T.

Maybo S&T of Ryno for Koufos, BUT ONLY with stretching Asik.
    I am not sold on stretching Asik, but Koufos is a big upgrade on him. 2 years left with third as a PO.
    Salary around 8-8,7. Koufos is 27 years old...
    Stretching Asik isn't gonna happen.

There's so many things wrong with this post that I don't even know where to start with this.

I especially like how to refute Barnes actual numbers during the playoffs you just completely write them off (or say it was his role even though he had the same role last year and didn't suck) and resort to the same old, he "could have" scored more. Aka, "potential". Hey, I rode in an elevator once with Kate Beckinsale. I totally "could have" got her. It counts!

He plays at the thinnest position in the NBA during an Olympics run where numerous NBA players have already backed out or couldn't go due to injury. He was the reserve to the reserve to the reserve, yet somehow we've reached the point where his production has been so mediocre and average that the only way to justify his price tag is to pretend this is significant?

This has literally reached the same level as when I used to have arguments with someone who said Drummond was better than AD.

All I can say at this point is, Cool Story Bro. You're certainly writing a novel about Barnes. I'm finished with this until we see what his contract is.
    So wait I'm writing a novel? Then what are you doing? Lol of course nothing cause you're perfect! Yea real good excuse how Barnes made the Olympic team. You will pull anything out of the hat to make your argument it's kind of funny. Where is the link to this reserve to the reserve to the reserve? Lol cool story bro!

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Stretching Asik isn't gonna happen.
    I agree with it. It might not be smart - at least at this time...

So we want Bazemore or Crabbe over a guy that has won a ring, played on the best team ever record wise, will represent Team USA in Rio, and is a almost perfect small forward. He really has no weakness to his game. Most hunk he has some star potential. But we don't want to sign him cause we rather use the extra few million to sign someone else that would likely just be a role player to come off the bench. We don't want to sign him cause he won't be a star, but Bazemore & Crabbe will?? I want to know how will we acquire a star without anything on the roster worth trading? What star would you have in mind to acquire? What position would this star play? We already have a player with star potential in Buddy Hield IMO. We have a point guard that has made an All Star team and shown to be an above average starter. So if we add a young player that has All Star potential, we can likely be a much better team. With Barnes making the Olympic team, IMO shows that he has that potential.

The people behind Team USA pick players that they believe are the best at their positions and are fringe All Stars. If he isn't that, then why the hell did they pick him? That just shows me that he is one of the better players at his position. IMO he's a fringe top 10 player at his position. For sure he's top 15, which is better than half the league. He plays the one position that we need the most and we may have an inside shot at acquiring him. You can find decent point guards throughout the league and we currently have a top 15 point guard. We are not going to be able to have a shot at acquiring another small forward like Barnes maybe ever and we still may not be able to. He has WAY more positives than negatives. I really don't see any real negatives to him.

-he has perfect size 6'8" 225
    -he is young at 24
    -he has shown to be an effective small ball 4
    -he shoots 3s at a decent clip
    -he can play pretty good defense
    -he is a really good athlete
    -he can rebound damn good for his position
    -he is a competent passer
    -he doesn't need the ball in his hands to succeed
    -he won't try to play hero ball
    -he wants to be the best
    -he works his tail off
    -he is a great teammate
    -he is not a head case or troublemaker
    -he hasn't had any serious injuries
    -he will sacrifice his numbers for the better of the team
    -he doesn't complain about not getting enough minutes or shots
    -he wants to see if he can reach star status and we offer him a great opportunity to join AD & Jrue or Buddy to be part of a big 3
    -he's perfect for what we need

What is his negatives?
    -he will likely cost a good bit (well he's a damn good player IMO)
    -he may not reach star status (he also could and we don't need him to be a star)
    -he may be a bit too passive at times (that doesn't bother me when we have Jrue, Buddy, Reke, & AD)

Completely agree! Nobody he has yet to offer a realistic option that is actually better. Any other option that is close to as good as getting him cost near just as much. I just love how some have seen a handful of games along with a few playoff games yet they know more than the guys running team USA and the GMs who believe he is worth the $. But wait he only made team USA because SF is the thinnest position in the NBA and every SF asked turned them down but him. So he's the reserve to the reserve of another reserve lol. Yea that's not pure speculation... We should not sign him because Gordon Hayward will sign with us next year! Yea let me go place my bet with Vegas because those odds are real good. Oh but no we should stick Bazemore or Crabbe for a few million less at a position they can't guard because after all they are better than Dante Cunningham. Wait I got an ever better option.. Sign Parsons to a few million less who has cracked 70+ games twice in his career! What a great idea and we should definitely take that risk because we have the best luck with injuries.

I trust Colangelo, Coach K, Kerr, Gentry, Dell, Erman, and the other GMs who believe he is worth the $ he's going to be paid. I'll be a fool with them as well because a stat on basketball reference said so. If anything Barnes gives us a good trade chip along with our 1st round picks say something better presents itself in a year or two through trade. If their is a FA who is a better option and willing to come here then I'm pretty confident we can move him to make room. Don't see how signing him is a bad move for us unless he regresses which I highly doubt he will. When multiple coaches fave about his work ethic being 2nd to none then I'm going to bet on that kid at just 24 years old to get better everytime. I don't think it's a question of him getting better but more of how much. Just getting him as is would be a big improvement to our team and I'm confident that's no all we get.

Yes and I can't believe we are the only ones on here that see that!! He's is exactly what we need. Now if chooses to not come here or the Warriors match then so be it. I just hope we try really hard to sign him. He will never likely reach his full potential in Steph, Klay, and Draymond's shadow. If you look at every team that really needs a small forward, we look to be his best possible destination. We have a star in Anthony Davis, check. We have an above average point guard, check. We have a rookie 2 guard that can maybe reach Klay Thompsons status, check. Here he can be that 3rd piece like Draymond Green to AD & Jrue. Then if Buddy plays like I think he will, we will have a potential potent big 4! Plus to add to that we have coaches that are familiar with him and our trying to do what he is familiar with here in NOLA. It's a match made in Bball heaven!!

There are quite a few others who feel the same way. It's a handful of the same people who don't like him and that's fine. They will have to deal with it when we sign him lol.

I think this off season we will have our core 4 to go forward with. Signing Barnes and drafting Hield can be to very good young pieces to develop going forward. The great thing is all 4 of those guys still have plenty of room to improve. No telling what kind of leap Jrue can make when finally having a summer to actualy practice basketball instead of resting and rehabbing. He got to work out the kinks and learn the system to be prepared for next season. The sky is the limit for AD and if we get that guy from a year ago we will be in a very good position to be a damn good team. Even that guy from a year ago has tons of room to improve his game and polish out his skills. Barnes just turned 24 and over the past 2 seasons he has progressed very nicely from where he was his first 2 years. Many are forgetting had he stayed in college he would be going into his 3rd NBA season next year where the biggest jump is usually made. Just like many others who are dominating the NBA right now Barnes has the same ability to make a big jump. With Barnes having a full summer to prepare for his new role and actually get some game experience doing a little more offensively can help him take the next step. Plus he will have some nice experience with team USA this year playing with some of the best players in the NBA at his position where he can learn a lot like many others have. Then we have Hield who can be the scoring force of a James Harden. I think Hield will settle somewhere in the middle of Harden and McCollum while potentially being a much better defender.

This group of guys can be a damn good core 4 IMO without improving and the great thing is they all have the ability to take some big steps over the next few years. Three of those guys in the core 4 are 3+ years our of their prime. Barnes can settle in with a similiar role as he had in GS but getting more touches and a few more shots a game while creating for himself a little more. All we need him to be is option 3a/3b offensively while doing what he does defensively and being the versatile player we need starting at SF while being able to play small ball PF holding his own with most of the PFs in the NBA. Hopefully Hield turns into the star we need to be ADs wingman allowing Jrue to settle in that 3rd spot where he is best. We can win similar to the Spurs and just recently Cavs not needing 3 superstars to do it. We have our top 5 player in AD while surrounding him with some very good players who all compliment each other very well. The complimenting each other is most important IMO and something we have been missing even when we made the playoffs a year ago. Atleast we will be happy rooting for Barnes in a Pelicans uniform lol because I feel pretty good about him being added to our team.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-28-2016 at 05:59 AM.

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaPelFromHell View Post

That's my want list. Allen Crabbe was close to making my list, but he doesn't fit my height requirement.
    Why are you concerned with height? I would be more concerned with a players wingspan and standing reach. A guy like Bazemore has an outstanding wingspan of 6'11.5", and as a result he plays much taller than he actually is. Here's a fun fact, 6 of the 7 players who measured with 6'11.5" wingspans this draft were 6'8-6'10. I personally would be more concerned with Bazemores weight.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Why are you concerned with height? I would be more concerned with a players wingspan and standing reach. A guy like Bazemore has an outstanding wingspan of 6'11.5", and as a result he plays much taller than he actually is. Here's a fun fact, 6 of the 7 players who measured with 6'11.5" wingspans this draft were 6'8-6'10. I personally would be more concerned with Bazemores weight.
    Agreed.

And you don't make steals or block shots with your head either.

Quote Originally Posted by AD23forMVP View Post
    Because height matters as well. Might as well take about 2" off of that wingspan because he is 2"-3" shorter than most SFs. There is a reason they have 1 SF in the NBA that is 6'5 in Tucker. The difference with Tucker and Bazemore is a good 20-30 lbs. Bazemore is 200 lbs soaking wet and that just is not ideal as our starting SF. Sure we can get by with him there but at $15 million I don't want a guy who is a liability and just a better option then what we already have. He's an ok 3 point shooter who can rebound and play D. At his age he isn't likely to get much better and ideally we need someone who can grow with AD and Hield not turning 30 nearing a 2nd contract with us while they are entering their prime. I love Bazemore but not at SF after we just drafted Hield. We are better off finding out own Bazemore for about $10 million less and IMO we have 2 guys on the roster already who are just as capable to do everything he does or atleast very close.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 06-28-2016 at 06:43 AM.

I don't want Barnes because you will have to severely overpay him. He's not work a max contract no matter how much "potential" people assume he has. He is not a star player and was not even the best SF on the GSU team. He was a decent role player with nice size. Honestly, he was like the 5th or 6th option on the team (Curry, Thompson, Draymond, and Iggy, and Livingston) who were all better than him. I don't care if he's on a watered down Team USA and Plumbee's extra average butt was on Team USA last year. I would wait until next year to give out big contracts when the real talent is out there. This offseason should be about getting role players on a good contract like Marvin Williams, Allen Crabbe, Moe Harkless etc.

i hope we can sign and trade RA and get oubre?

Max Contract Contributor AD23forMVP's Avatar
    Take 2-3" off his wingspan because he's shorter? That doesn't make the least bit of sense. 6'11.5" is 6'11.5" regardless of if he is 6'1 or 7'1. I agree with everything else though.

Thread Information