38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Parsons

17 44.74%
  • Barnes

21 55.26%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chandler Parsons vs Harrison Barnes

Chandler Parsons vs Harrison Barnes

Say both agree to sign with the Pels for the same amount, which one are you signing?

I voted Parsons, because he is a proven scorer and he has already proven to be a dependable 2nd or 3rd option. Also Parsons is a better scorer, shooter, and passer.

Parsons and it's not close.

They both will have the same price. 22-23.
    Parsons. Not even close...

Harrison Barnes is not worth the max contract he will make. He's a good role player but not an impact player. He's James Posey all over again.

Okay, I will try to make the argument for Barnes, just to have the other side represented

1. Familiarity with Gentry

Gentry would know what he is capable of, outside of what he is being asked to do in Golden State. He could get more out of him on both ends

2. Medical Record

Parsons had a serious injury, Barnes has been healthy. That goes a long way in this organization

3. Culture Fit

Barnes is a hard working, humble, and very intelligent guy. Parsons is very concerned with being famous- and more than basketball famous. Also, more of a go out and party guy. Barnes, by all accounts, is just a great young kid that you will never have to worry about getting into trouble on Bourbon Street

4. AD Timeline

Parsons is 5 years older than AD. Barnes is 10 months older

5. Lower usage

Let's say the Pels draft Dunn. They would need a lower usage guy, not another creator. Draft Hield, and yes Parsons would be a better fit, but Barnes would be better with Dunn or Murray

That's all I got.
    @mcnamara247

The Franchise
    I agree with all but 5. If we got Dunn we need shooters so I'd want parsons and if we got Heild, I'd go for more all a round player like Barnes.

Heild, Jrue, and Davis would be shooting the most one way while Jrue, Parsons, and Davis would be main shooters this way.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Okay, I will try to make the argument for Barnes, just to have the other side represented

1. Familiarity with Gentry

Gentry would know what he is capable of, outside of what he is being asked to do in Golden State. He could get more out of him on both ends

2. Medical Record

Parsons had a serious injury, Barnes has been healthy. That goes a long way in this organization

3. Culture Fit

Barnes is a hard working, humble, and very intelligent guy. Parsons is very concerned with being famous- and more than basketball famous. Also, more of a go out and party guy. Barnes, by all accounts, is just a great young kid that you will never have to worry about getting into trouble on Bourbon Street

4. AD Timeline

Parsons is 5 years older than AD. Barnes is 10 months older

5. Lower usage

Let's say the Pels draft Dunn. They would need a lower usage guy, not another creator. Draft Hield, and yes Parsons would be a better fit, but Barnes would be better with Dunn or Murray

That's all I got.
    This!
    Don't sign injured players.
    We have already one of the best players in Davis.
    we need one healthy combo guard.
    Lillard would be the perfect (in terms of a player we could get; we could draft him guard for our team.
    Ik Lillard in a Pels Uniform will not happen.
    Barnes fits awesome in our team.
    Plus he's one of the best options we can get at the SF position.

All things equal, give me Parsons, personally I want neither. Sit on the sidelines of you can't sign Batuuuuuum and next offseason when the pot grows another $18MM sign whoever the hell you want.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    All things equal, give me Parsons, personally I want neither. Sit on the sidelines of you can't sign Batuuuuuum and next offseason when the pot grows another $18MM sign whoever the hell you want.
    That's exactly why you don't want to overpay for a FA this offseason. It's important to hit on this draft pick and see what you can get for Ryno in a sign and trade. Hopefully, they can get ride of Evans contract as well. If we can get Parsons on a lower than max deal that would be great. Otherwise, I would just wait it out.

Pelicans should just wait it out until next offseason and give Gordon Hayward the max. No way Utah can keep Hayward, Favors, and Gobert together.
    Last edited by Bert123; 05-27-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Draft Heild or Dunn.
    Sign Frazier and Ennis.
    Extend Jrue.
    Sign Dudley for 3 years with a team option in the 3rd and I'm satisfied for this off season.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert123 View Post
    Pelicans should just wait it out until next offseason and give Gordon Hayward the max. No way Utah can keep Hayward, Favors, and Gobert together.
    Seems like we're perpetually in a state where some would rather we wait till next year and sign XYZ. People said the same about positioning ourselves for Durant...but then we had the bad season people expected us to have and now the notion is outrageous...

My stance will remain the same. Go get hungry guys. Try to find the next Demarre, the next Biyombo or Whiteside, the next Jae Crowder. That should be the plan. None of these guys will be worth the contract they sign, where a diamond in the rough can vastly outperform it

Why do people think Parsons is a better shooter than Barnes?

Through their careers:

Barnes from 16 ft to 3pt - .403
    Parsons from 16 ft to 3pt - .399

Barnes career from 3 - .376
    Parsons carrer from 3 - .380

Do you think next years first is in play to maybe get someone or move someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ritzman87 View Post
    Do you think next years first is in play to maybe get someone or move someone?
    Is it in play? Of course, will it happen? Impossible to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    My stance will remain the same. Go get hungry guys. Try to find the next Demarre, the next Biyombo or Whiteside, the next Jae Crowder. That should be the plan. None of these guys will be worth the contract they sign, where a diamond in the rough can vastly outperform it
    Unfortunately, easier said than done. If everyone knew what Biyombo or Whiteside would do, they would have been fighting for them. I don't get the love for Demarre. I think he has been a disappointment since signing the big deal.

Harrison Barnes: 63.3% of his 3-point attempts were wide open
    Chandler Parsons: 22.5% of his 3-point attempts were wide open

Barnes is wide open a whole lot. Parsons isn't. Let's discuss it another way.

Barnes shot 31.6% (24/76) when a defender was within 6 feet of him behind the arc this season.
    Parsons shots 39.9% (77/193) when a defender was within 6 feet of him behind the arc this season.

Which one does this team need?
    Associate Editor for The Bird Writes, the SBNation New Orleans Pelicans site.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fisher View Post
    Harrison Barnes: 63.3% of his 3-point attempts were wide open
    Chandler Parsons: 22.5% of his 3-point attempts were wide open

Barnes is wide open a whole lot. Parsons isn't. Let's discuss it another way.

Barnes shot 31.6% (24/76) when a defender was within 6 feet of him behind the arc this season.
    Parsons shots 39.9% (77/193) when a defender was within 6 feet of him behind the arc this season.

Which one does this team need?
    Well to be fare, Parsons is older, can u go back and get Parsons stats of how he shot when a defender within 6 feet when he was the same age as Barnes? I think that would be a more accurate stat comparison.

Also, doesn't that link show Barnes' stats say he was wide open from 3 on only 21.2% of them?
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 05-27-2016 at 11:03 PM.

Parsons is damaged goods. Barnes wins on health alone. But if all things were equaled and Parsons was the picture of health... I'd take Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert123 View Post
    They can, (cap goes to $107MM in 17-18), and they will.

Harrison Barnes all day!! I can't believe we may even have a realistic shot at him. He's younger than Parson and knows some of the coaching staff. He will probably be familiar with the offense. He hadn't had the opportunity to shine. He's dripping with potential. It's off the charts IMO. Perfect height, great athleticism, and no real glaring weaknesses. Think he will explode when giving the chance. Guys like him don't come available that often. We need to get us a nice foundation to build upon IMO. AD, Jrue, Barnes, Reke, and Dunn/Buddy/Murray will be NICE!!

I just don't see how people can overwhelmingly pick an injured older player with somewhat limited athleticism to 24 year old with great athleticism and a sweet looking shot. It's not even close the other way IMO.
    Last edited by DaPelFromHell; 05-27-2016 at 11:16 PM.

Can anyone point out a player like Barnes, who was a top 4 player on their team, and then moved to another situation and was a top 2 or 3 player? Horace Grant? Sam Cassell? Ryno? I just can't think of many guys that came from a Barnes situation and turned into a member of a Big 3.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Can anyone point out a player like Barnes, who was a top 4 player on their team, and then moved to another situation and was a top 2 or 3 player? Horace Grant? Sam Cassell? Ryno? I just can't think of many guys that came from a Barnes situation and turned into a member of a Big 3.
    Rondo was the 4th option behind KG, Ray Allen and Pierce.

Thread Information