Pelicans Report

Thread: Could we get Derrick Favors?

Could we get Derrick Favors?

He would be a perfect fit next to AD IMO and he's on a really good contract, that contract however might make him hard to acquire. Are the Jazz happy with him as a PF or do they view him as a center and would rather a stretch 4 to put next to Gobbert?

Is there anything we could offer that would make them consider trading him?

Would anyone trade our 6th and next year's 1st for him?

Or do u have any other ideas?

Man I would absolutely love to have Favors. Would fit in perfectly next to AD and is a great fit in Gentrys system. That big man duo would cause some problems for defenses while being a great rim protecting duo. I would give up two future 1st round picks for him I just think the 6th pick is so important to our future. Depends on who is available at 6 as well if I make the move. If we could get Reke and Asik off the books to go after a stud FA then that would be incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Man I would absolutely love to have Favors. Would fit in perfectly next to AD and is a great fit in Gentrys system. That big man duo would cause some problems for defenses while being a great rim protecting duo. I would give up two future 1st round picks for him I just think the 6th pick is so important to our future. Depends on who is available at 6 as well if I make the move. If we could get Reke and Asik off the books to go after a stud FA then that would be incredible.
    Yeah I feel the same way. Only thing is, I think our 6th pick would be required to make either acquiring favors, or getting rid of Asik possible. I don't think they would give up Favors for 2 future 1sts, it would have to be the 6th and a future 1st since I believe getting Favors next to AD could put us in the top 4 in the west. It might be possible to package Tyreke, Asik and a future 1st though if we wanted to ship them out.

This year's 6th, and next year's 1st, top 5 protected I think I would have to pull the trigger. Just my opinion though.

I do think Favors is a perfect fit though. He is athletic, can bang, rebound, protect the rim, and has good post D and post offense.

He has two years team friendly deal. In 2018 will be looking to get paid. Expect Max...

Jazz will have to decide about their core. Who they will overpay and who they trade.
    Gobert. Favors. Hayward.
    I dont see 3 max players...

This is a very good question, and its a question with many layers, and one that I am certain someone more qualified than me can answer, but as a former Jazz fan who still follows them, I would love to take a stab at this question.

Why would Utah do this? As previously stated by pawel, Utah is coming up on needing to dish out contracts to some of their bigger stars. I don't believe any of the three deserve a max, but then again, I believe (in a perfect world) unless you are a top 5 player at your position, you shouldn't get a max deal. So Utah needs to save money somewhere in order to keep players like Gobert and Mack in Utah. Utah is in a similar situation to us in that they must overpay in order to keep talent, so they might be open to the idea from the standpoint of rob Peter to pay Paul (or more don't pay Derrick in order to pay Rudy, Shelvin, and Trevor).
    What does Utah gain by moving Favors? Utah has Trey Lyles who was really starting to come on towards the end of the season, when other Jazz bigs were going down. They have a lot of hope for him, and he is the new style of pf (6'10, smart player, great passer). He can play small ball center when called upon, and he really fits in Snyder's offense. They also would make this move as it nets them another lottery pick. Right now their best hope is for the best remaining swing player or big. By moving up to the 6 spot they really can get the best big, and possibly the best swing player not named Ingram or Simmons. In the end they are saving money, and they are letting a young prospect grow.
    What does Utah lose by shipping out Favors? By shipping favors out they lose out on the potential return he might bring them during next season. This season the Lakers offered the Jazz Clarkson and Bass for Favors. Next season they will probably get a better offer as his ceiling still hasn't been reached. It might be Bass/Clarkson now, or the #6 and Reke/Asik, but it could continue to climb higher as needs change. Also by moving Favors they break up a nice strong core. The Jazz (due to injuries) shouldn't have come close to making the playoffs, but they finished just needing to win 3 of their last 4. If they have everyone healthy that is a strong and deep team, and who knows how far they can go. So losing flexibility, and losing a core piece of the team is what they lose.
    Why would New Orleans do this? It is hard for New Orleans to secure top talent, so shipping out an unknown for a known is enticing. As previously stated, Favors hasn't played much 5, but since he started, he has shown that he has a few more levels to his game. We would not only be buying on a top talent, but we would be buying in on the potential for more.
    What would New Orleans gain with Favors? Finally we could get some offensive firepower at the 5. Favors has a rather small sample size playing the 5, but when he has he has been solid (16/8/1/1/1). He isn't Boogie where he will take the outside shot and make it, but he knows where his shot is, and he is solid. Putting him next to AD would be a great idea as Favors can take the pounding intended for AD, and still keep doing his thing. He really would be a perfect match for AD in that all the low post scoring doesn't have to come from Davis.
    What would New Orleans lose by sending out #6 (and more)? Cap space. Cap space, the potential for a young talent to groom and hope turns into a core of a Big 3. Given that we don't have anyone but Jrue and AD on this roster worth building with, giving a max to Favors really removes our chances of bringing in solid role players that all title contenders fill their benches with. Sure Demps can find your end of the bench player, but we wont be able to afford the Livingston/JR Smith/ Kanter guys that are key to 2nd units. We would really be counting on the Frazier/Ish Smith/ BDJ findings happening more often, and acquiring us better talent.

At the end of the day I would do this move, and I am sure the Jazz would too.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Favors is certainly good enough to consider trading picks for, but I just don't want to trade 9 years of two players for 2 years of one.
    Last edited by da ThRONe; 05-26-2016 at 03:14 PM.

Jrue
    Tyreke
    BATUMMMM
    AD
    Favors

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Jrue
    Tyreke
    BATUMMMM
    AD
    Favors
    I like it someone forward it to dell's office pronto

So in that trade are we moving Asik and 6 for Favors (I'm not complaining mind you). Asik backing up Gobert would be a nice get for the Jazz. They could draft a shooter, and make a move with their other 1st rounder (because I doubt they are bringing two high draft picks to camp) to bring in a vet of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    He has two years team friendly deal. In 2018 will be looking to get paid. Expect Max...

Jazz will have to decide about their core. Who they will overpay and who they trade.
    Gobert. Favors. Hayward.
    I dont see 3 max players...
    Gotta pay Hood big money too, that kid can play, and maybe even Exum depending on how he develops. jazz will have to make some decisions. That's just the price of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludiculous View Post
    I like it someone forward it to dell's office pronto
    done.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    So in that trade are we moving Asik and 6 for Favors (I'm not complaining mind you). Asik backing up Gobert would be a nice get for the Jazz. They could draft a shooter, and make a move with their other 1st rounder (because I doubt they are bringing two high draft picks to camp) to bring in a vet of some sort.
    No, it would be for our 6th pick, and next year's 1st, top 5 protected. I don't see them trading a good player who makes 11 mil, for Asik and the 6th pick. Maybe you could talk them into taking the 6th pick, next year's 1st and Asik.

I don't know.

The Pels would only want to give up this year's 6th pick, The Jazz would want this year's 6th and next year's pick. So a happy medium would be this year's 6th, next year's 1st and Asik?
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 05-26-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Gotta pay Hood big money too, that kid can play, and maybe even Exum depending on how he develops. jazz will have to make some decisions. That's just the price of talent.
    The only big contract on the horizon (next offseason) is Gobert. They have Favors, Hood, and Great White Hope for more than just next year. They are lucky in that every year one of these Guy's contracts come up the salary cap jumps up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayward has player option for 2017/18 which he will decline for sure...
    So two possible max players decisions next year

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Hayward has player option for 2017/18 which he will decline for sure...
    So two possible max players decisions next year
    I didn't realize that, but to their benefit the cap will also be jumping to $107MM in 2017-2018.

Thread Information