Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dell's possible evil motives and the results

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    People would be foolish for thinking Dell is stupid. He is a VERY smart guy, both with regards to basketball and other things

The issue is that he, like all of us, is very incentivized to keep his job. To keep his job, he must please his boss. To please his boss, he needs to make this a playoff team again ASAP. His boss isn't exactly seeing the big picture right now. His boss doesn't care much about 2019 or 2020.

So... Dell might do things that seem stupid this summer when you look at the big picture, but can you really blame him? You think Dell cares if the Pels win a title in 2021, if he was fired in 2017? I know I wouldn't.

This is the core of the problem I have been upset about since December, and why I couldn't continue to write about or talk about this franchise like I used to. This article just gave some concrete possibilities to the type of logic the franchise is using right now. They are gunning for the 4-8 seed next year. What might happen in 2019 or 2020 is like the 37th highest priority right now. Such is life.
    Thank you! I tried to get this point across a few days ago but was chastised for it.

So say we traded the 6th pick and Tyreke for Brook Lopez, would we have any cap left to sign a decent SG or SF or no?

Our starting lineup would have to be something like.

jrue
    qpon
    cunningham or ennis
    AD
    Lopez

IDK how I feel about that.

unless we package Asik with the deal, then we could afford to go after someone maybe Fournier.

Jrue
    Fornier
    Qpon
    AD
    Lopez

I can dig that.
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 05-25-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fun Bunch View Post
    Wait, so now we are going to denigrate the sources of Woj, the most connected guy in the NBA? A guy that has been proven time and time and time and time again to have sources almost beyond compare?

Woj has his axes to grind but to sit here and say he's wrong...is interesting.

He's actually got a proven track record. I'm going with that guy.
    Woj is awesome, but he has zero sources with the Pels. Zero.

I don't know everything, but I know for a fact that all the 'Dumars to NOLA' stuff he has been whispering for two years now has all come from him trying to get Dumars (a friend of his) a job. Dumars then would reward him with info.

What else have you ever heard Woj try to break Pels related? Thibs? ANd he was wrong there too. Again, all came from Thibs

Look, the guy is great but I promise you that nobody inside the Pels organization gives him anything.
    @mcnamara247

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    So say we traded the 6th pick and Tyreke for Brook Lopez, would we have any cap left to sign a decent SG or SF or no?
    They would have to take Asik, for several reasons. The first of which is, if they don't, we have to use cap room to make the deal work, and then that would mean forfeiting Ryno's Bird Rights.

I would think about an Asik, Evans, and 6th for Lopez deal. Probably wouldn't do it, but it wouldn't be terrible. And I might say yes if they threw in Thad and took Ajinca too.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I kind of wish our fans would sort of accept this by now. I don't mean this to be negative, but we all know the situation at this point. It's time to stop getting aggravated. Benson does not expect to have many years left. He wants to win now and he has every right to. And that doesn't have to be all bad for us. A little urgency can be a good thing at times. This article is wayyyy on the extreme. With Anthiny Davis going into his second contract, it's ok if we're trying to make the playoffs. There are worse things in life. It's the cards that we have. Maybe it's a 10 and 7, and not an ace and a jack, but you can still win with 17. Hang in there.
    I never played poker before, I didn't appreciate you speaking in code in this post.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

Can we change this thread title at least? Saying this man is evil kind of harsh even if you do not like him. The man has a family.
    Last edited by Champ; 05-25-2016 at 10:53 PM.

They would have to take Asik, for several reasons. The first of which is, if they don't, we have to use cap room to make the deal work, and then that would mean forfeiting Ryno's Bird Rights.

I would think about an Asik, Evans, and 6th for Lopez deal. Probably wouldn't do it, but it wouldn't be terrible. And I might say yes if they threw in Thad and took Ajinca too.
    Man, I think I'm the only one here who actually likes Ajinca. Would you try to unload him on the basis that he doesn't fit in with #gentryball?

3 questions:

1. Would u want Thaddeus to play SF?
    2. Wouldn't it be better not to ask for Thaddeus that way we have more cap space to go after a wing?
    3. Why are u worried about Ryno's bird rights? Because u want to sign and trade him or u want to re-sign him to stay here?

People would be foolish for thinking Dell is stupid. He is a VERY smart guy, both with regards to basketball and other things

The issue is that he, like all of us, is very incentivized to keep his job. To keep his job, he must please his boss. To please his boss, he needs to make this a playoff team again ASAP. His boss isn't exactly seeing the big picture right now. His boss doesn't care much about 2019 or 2020.

So... Dell might do things that seem stupid this summer when you look at the big picture, but can you really blame him? You think Dell cares if the Pels win a title in 2021, if he was fired in 2017? I know I wouldn't.

This is the core of the problem I have been upset about since December, and why I couldn't continue to write about or talk about this franchise like I used to. This article just gave some concrete possibilities to the type of logic the franchise is using right now. They are gunning for the 4-8 seed next year. What might happen in 2019 or 2020 is like the 37th highest priority right now. Such is life.
    Welcome back and thank you for explaining your reasoning for taking a hiatus from the team. You were missed around here and I admit I was a bit critical of your stance this past season and now I understand why you felt the way you did and it is 100% justifiable considering the current mindset of ownership. You know things have gone completely off the rails when you of all people are throwing his hands up. I hope having a top 6 pick this year will sway management on the proper way to build a long term contender.
    Last edited by DaFranchise80; 05-27-2016 at 06:25 AM.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! JunkHead's Avatar
    Just gonna put this here I guess. Not sure if it belongs but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

Nerlens Noel for Tyreke Evans

Saric is available too. Just putting that out there

Saric is available too. Just putting that out there
    Isn't everyone?
    You think Dell loves Saric enough to trade the 6th pick?
    Please GOD no.

In one of my last articles ever, I went through who he could trade the pick for. Number one on my list? Saric.

What would you do if Dunn was on the board and they offered you Saric and either their pick next year or the Lakers pick?

I would admit, I'd at least think about it. And would rather have Saric for this team than Noel or Okafor

In one of my last articles ever, I went through who he could trade the pick for. Number one on my list? Saric.

What would you do if Dunn was on the board and they offered you Saric and either their pick next year or the Lakers pick?

I would admit, I'd at least think about it. And would rather have Saric for this team than Noel or Okafor
    I'm not fan of Saric. He can't defend the NBA three so that really puts me off.

Any chance they take Tyreke and a future first for Saric...lol?
    Especially if they draft Simmons as I can't see both Simmons and Saric co-existing in Philly.

Would Really think hard about trading Tyreke and the 6th pick for Saric, the 24th pick this year and 76ers or Lakers 2017 1st.

I don't think Tyreke has positive value. Neutral value, maybe. You might be able to give him away. But positive value is a stretch

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    I kind of wish our fans would sort of accept this by now. I don't mean this to be negative, but we all know the situation at this point. It's time to stop getting aggravated. Benson does not expect to have many years left. He wants to win now and he has every right to. And that doesn't have to be all bad for us. A little urgency can be a good thing at times. This article is wayyyy on the extreme. With Anthiny Davis going into his second contract, it's ok if we're trying to make the playoffs. There are worse things in life. It's the cards that we have. Maybe it's a 10 and 7, and not an ace and a jack, but you can still win with 17. Hang in there.
    I get that Benson is old and that translates into "win now." However, the Pelicans are more of Gayle's baby. Benson has always done a good job with the Saints in allowing those with the expertise to run the team and build as needed. I find it odd that this soddenly changes when he buys a team in a sport he has little knowledge of. If there is a rush to win, I would think it may be coming more from Loomis than Benson. This is why I think we need a true Basketball Head of Operations and move Loomis back to the Saints full time.

Wait, you think the Saints are being run well????

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Trade constantly injured player to team with constant injury history?

Reverse psychology, maybe?

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkHead View Post

I think either would be GREAT beside Brow.
    Sadly, we will not be able to offer anything comparable to others.

Remember when Woj was reporting that Thibs didn't know if he wanted the job and Iwas on Twitter saying that it was all spin from Thibs camp because the Pels had no interest? That was 100% the truth. But Woj has nobody inside and Thibs camp was trying to spin it like crazy. That happens ALL THE TIME with the Pels.

And to be fair to fans, I don't blame them for reading into everything a national guy says because they get no info from the organization.
    Do you actually have a source in the organization outside of someone working under Dell? You seem to make a lot of comments on what ownership feels/wants...etc, but it always seems colored through the lens of the GM's office. Honest question, being curious, not critical.
    Last edited by Euphonetiks; 05-27-2016 at 10:31 AM.

Do I talk to Loomis or Benson?

No. I can't imagine that was some big mystery. But you wouldn't have to talk to my boss to know his philosophies on the business. I know them quite well and could tell them to you

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeinedisastr View Post
    I think either would be GREAT beside Brow.
    Sadly, we will not be able to offer anything comparable to others.
    Why would you like either guy? Not saying you are wrong, but I think Noel would kill our spacing next to AD and Okafor would make this an even worse defense, if possible

If you are gonna put another big next to AD, he needs to be able to either switch pick and roles or protect the rim on defense. And on offense, he needs to be a good passer whose offensive game is respected, both at the rim and out to 17 feet or further.

I don't like either of those guys next to AD. Better than Asik, sure, but I wouldn't give up the 6th for either

Thread Information