Pelicans Report

Thread: Omer Asik wins the Shawn Bradley award

Omer Asik wins the Shawn Bradley award

http://fansided.com/2016/05/12/2016-...ampaign=si.com

Omer won an award for being the play over 6'10 who's shot has been blocked the most, with 19.5% of his shots being blocked! This is fourth time winning the award. Omer really just is a hell of a guy isn't he?
    Hey @okcthunder - you guys suck! Our top players are hurt. Some are dead. Some don't even like basketball.And we still kicked y'all's asses!- @TheFakeMonty

And Perkins won also!!!!
    Highest Turnover Percentage!!!

Let me guess.....Ajinca most fouls per 36.
    Triple threat in 2016.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    No surprised, when he jumps it looks like he's still on the ground.

this is not asik fault just look at who traded for him
    so there is no way that he ever get traded or cut from
    this team so when we see walk up and down the court after the 1st
    two possesion of the game it not his fault

Quote Originally Posted by frankatank109 View Post
    http://fansided.com/2016/05/12/2016-...ampaign=si.com

Omer won an award for being the play over 6'10 who's shot has been blocked the most, with 19.5% of his shots being blocked! This is fourth time winning the award. Omer really just is a hell of a guy isn't he?

Just to put this into actual perspective, minus the sensationalism:

Total Shots Blocked: 38
    Games Played: 68

Shots Blocked per Game: 0.56

So essentially Asik had 1 shot blocked EVERY OTHER GAME.

Oh the humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogden Park View Post
    Just to put this into actual perspective, minus the sensationalism:

Total Shots Blocked: 38
    Games Played: 68

Shots Blocked per Game: 0.56

So essentially Asik had 1 shot blocked EVERY OTHER GAME.

Oh the humanity.
    Well since he didn't play very minutes in those 68 games, its still a pretty impressive feat. Anyway this was mostly meant to provide something to laugh about while we wait for the Basketball Gods to bless us with a top two pick.

Quote Originally Posted by frankatank109 View Post
    Well since he didn't play very minutes in those 68 games, its still a pretty impressive feat.
    Some of us aren't so easily impressed I guess.

38 shots blocked over the course of a season has such a limited effect on the outcomes of games that it really speaks to the hoops acumen of any fan trotting it out as a meaningful statistic.

He shot 53.3% overall. Higher than Noel, Koufos, Drummond, Duncan, Dieng, and a long list of other centers. Yes he gets his shot blocked at a higher rate than any other player, but because he limits his shot selection and ONLY takes high percentage looks it has very little impact on the game.

Its just not an important stat at all, sorry to ruin your fun.

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar

38 shots blocked over the course of a season has such a limited effect on the outcomes of games that it really speaks to the hoops acumen of any fan trotting it out as a meaningful statistic.

He shot 53.3% overall. Higher than Noel, Koufos, Drummond, Duncan, Dieng, and a long list of other centers. Yes he gets his shot blocked at a higher rate than any other player, but because he limits his shot selection and ONLY takes high percentage looks it has very little impact on the game.

It's supposed to be like you know, a joke. Not to be taken that seriously. Some will just find anything to complain about, I guess.

I thought he got blocked more than that. They pencil-whipped that.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Some will just find anything to complain about, I guess.
    Like how often Asik gets his shot blocked...

Oops.

Considering I am literally the only person that still defends Asik on here, I've got to come out guns blazing at every opportunity. Its all fun for me, I assure you.

Blows my mind how someone with hands that big is so terrible with the ball. He easily has some of the worst hands I have ever seen. Most of his shots are blocked because he takes so long to control the ball and go up with it. When he does go up with the ball you can almost flick it and somehow it will come loose from his hands. Asik brings some positives of course but there is no defending this part of his game where he is absolute garbage.

I'm higher on Asik than most. Have been.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Blows my mind how someone with hands that big is so terrible with the ball. He easily has some of the worst hands I have ever seen. Most of his shots are blocked because he takes so long to control the ball and go up with it. When he does go up with the ball you can almost flick it and somehow it will come loose from his hands. Asik brings some positives of course but there is no defending this part of his game where he is absolute garbage.
    I agree. I've never seen someone get blocked or stripped underneath the hoop so often

Not saying it had any effect on the games, just saying that it speaks about what kind of offensive player Asik is. And really I'm pointing it out because its funny and its a very Omer Asik thing to happen, not really complaining about how him getting his shot blocked hurts the team or is something that means we should look to trade him (although we should). It's called humor fam.

Thread Information