Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ranking the Coaches

Ranking the Coaches

We are always going on about where Gentry should stay or go, but where does he rank among todays active coaches. Surely there are better coaches, but there are just as many (if not more) worse coaches. What does your ranking look like? Here is mine.

1) Pops

2) Steve Kerr
    3) Rick Carlisle
    4) Mike Budenholzer
    5) Brad Stevens
    6) Doc Rivers
    7) Dwayne Casey
    8) Frank Vogel
    9) Stan Van Gundy
    10) Terry Stotts
    11) Tom Thibodeau
    12) Steve Clifford
    13) Dave Joerger
    14) Erik Spoelstra
    15) Billy Donovan
    16) Quin Snyder
    17) Tyronn Lue
    18) J.B. Bickerstaff
    19) Alvin Gentry
    20) Scott Brooks
    21) Fred Hoiberg
    22) Jason Kidd
    23) Scott Skiles
    24) Earl Watson
    25) Kurt Rambis
    26) Kenny Atkinson
    27) Mike Malone
    28) Brett Brown
    In conclusion, I say keep Gentry around, and see if he can get into that top 10 discussion. He has the talent to move up the charts, and his system has worked with lessor players that what he could be working with if everyone were healthy.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

how you got Tyronn Lou above Gentry?

Quote Originally Posted by PeliKhan View Post
    how you got Tyronn Lou above Gentry?
    How do you not?

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    How do you not?
    I guess where does Lebron fit in there? Before or after Lou?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    I guess where does Lebron fit in there? Before or after Lou?
    Lebron certainly is a good coach, but he is a ******** poor gm.

I would rank Lou ahead of Gentry just off the fact that they are winning, and Lebron hasn't given up on him yet like he did Blatt. When I was creating this list I couldn't believe how many coaches were fired/ hired since the end of the regular season.

Lebron certainly is a good coach, but he is a ******** poor gm.

I would rank Lou ahead of Gentry just off the fact that they are winning, and Lebron hasn't given up on him yet like he did Blatt. When I was creating this list I couldn't believe how many coaches were fired/ hired since the end of the regular season.
    So where does Blatt rank then? After all he got them to the Finals.

Keep in mind I'm not saying I disagree with your ranking. I just find it very hard to rank coaches who have superstars on their team. Is Donovan *actually* better than Scott Brooks? Is Lou even head coach worthy or is LBJ just putting a puppet up there? Is Doc Rivers actually good at all?
    Last edited by Mythrol; 04-26-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    So where does Blatt rank then? After all he got them to the Finals.

Keep in mind I'm not saying I disagree with your ranking. I just find it very hard to rank coaches who have superstars on their team. Is Donovan *actually* better than Scott Brooks? Is Lou even head coach worthy or is LBJ just putting a puppet up there? Is Doc Rivers actually good at all?
    It's up for interpretation, is it not? Where do you guys have these coaches ranked?

Does anyone rank Gentry higher than 17, and why?

Gentry did coach PHX to Western Finals a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Gentry did coach PHX to Western Finals a couple of years ago.
    So where do you rank him off of what he did almost a decade ago?

So where do you rank him off of what he did almost a decade ago?

This is all subjective but I have a hard time ranking Kerr over guys like Carlisle, Stotts, Stevens, and Clifford. These guys coached teams that were decimated with injuries or devoid of stars to playoff status. I'm not taking anything away from Kerr, but don't think if Kerr coached those other teams that they would have been any better than the above mentioned coaches. I used to always say that I'd take Larry Brown over Phil Jackson 8 days out of 7 because he can coach not just massage egos. I kind of feel that way about Kerr. He walked into a good team and has sustained or elevated their level. I give more props to coaches who actually coach up their players. I know I'm alone on this one but Monty coached up players. That's why I felt that he should have kept his job here.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Carslise deserves the second spot for sure. Winning a title with your best player being essentially a one way guy who can do one thing at an absolutely elite level, and is just very good at most other things on offense, as well as giving the Mavs consistent success with a roster of rejects and cast-offs takes absolute genius.
    Hey @okcthunder - you guys suck! Our top players are hurt. Some are dead. Some don't even like basketball.And we still kicked y'all's asses!- @TheFakeMonty

People definitely don't give Kerr enough credit. It shouldn't be a negative to have a good team. Right now Kerr is the 2nd best coach and if he has another season like this he is in the lead if we are going off of results for what they have done lately. That team could win a championship without Curry and a lot has to do with the system they run not just the players. Our coach is one of the masterminds who helped install it!

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

Ranking the Coaches

A League of Their Own

Pop

Tier 1

Carlisle
    Rivers
    Spolestra
    Clifford
    Budenholzer
    Stotts
    Stevens

Tier 2

**Kerr
    Thibodeaux
    Van Gundy
    Vogel
    Snyder

Tier 3

Brooks
    Donovan
    Casey
    Lue
    Joerger

Tier 4

Gentry and the rest.

Explanation:

Pop needs no explanation
    Tier 1: Championship caliber coaches
    Tier 2: Right Roster, They will contend
    Tier 3: perfect roster, won't screw up won't exceed expectations
    Tier 4: Replacement Level

**Kerr is the hardest to peg. Technically he should be Tier 1, but I reserve the right to take a mulligan here if he takes this team to the WCF without Steph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DefensiveMind; 04-27-2016 at 11:42 PM.

Kerr in tier 2 is a joke. Yea championship caliber coaches yet haven't even sniffed a championship makes so much sense lol.

Dwayne Casey is one guy who you almost always forget about, yet you know the Raptors are one of the better teams in the East. Its kind of the same deal with the Budenholzer and the Hawks. Put a gun to my head and I probably couldn't name either coach, but we know how good their teams are.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Kerr in tier 2 is a joke. Yea championship caliber coaches yet haven't even sniffed a championship makes so much sense lol.
    Here's my question to you. What would Kerr do in Charlotte? Would he do a better job than Clifford? It's easy to front run. No disrespect to Kerr but if he had taken the Knicks job, would you feel the same way about him?

What would Pops do with the Knicks roster? What would Phil do coaching the Bucks? What would Red Aurbauch do coaching the Clippers? You can't really say one way or the other what Kerr would do elsewhere just like we couldn't say what any of those three coaches would have done elsewhere.

Doesn't Kerr get credit for choosing the right team to go to? He was hotly pursued and offered a massive contract by NYC to coach it. Possibly other offers too.

Instead he chose a GS team who had shown promise but couldn't make a deep playoff run and had players that actively spoke out against the firing of Jackson. In one off season he turned them around and made them a championship team. He's already had one of his assistant coaches poached and now has another interviewing for another head coaching job.

The guy deserves all the credit in the world for not only being a good coach but also having the foresight to spot talented assistants and a team with potential, implement his own systems or be smart enough to use the system of one of your assistants, and get people to gel.

The guy has shown the epitome of not being proud. To listen to every good idea, actively seeking them out, and use them. If he's not right under Pop and Car I don't know who else you could put above him.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    R. E. L. A. X.

I very clearly qualified my OPINION of Steve Kerr. I still think he's a top 10 coach. Sue me for believing that there are 7 other coaches in the world (9 if you include college) that I would take over him.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I think it's much easier to identify the coaches that take crap rosters to places
    they shouldn't go based on the talent.

In those scenarios, the coach's aptitude is more easily measured.
    (i.e. anyone can win with Hall of Famers....or....Are we sure Doc Rivers is a good coach?)

Pop (Always had Robinson or Duncan, along with a great GM)
    Carlisle (Has really proven his mettle, by taking strange rosters with geriatric Dirk to the playoffs since 2011)
    Rivers (The big 3 in Boston; couldn't anyone have won a ring with them? and Paul, DJ and Blake in LAC.)
    Spolestra (His "prove it" years will be after Wade retires)

Clifford (Has done very good things with not very good players)
    Budenholzer (Implemented a very good system in Atlanta; will be interesting to see next season if lots of roster shift)
    Stotts (They have no business being this good with only one returning starter. Coach is key.)
    Stevens (Has lots of young players playing hard and put together a culture with Danny Ainge)

Kerr (Is he living on the system built by Jackson/Gentry/Ermann?)
    Thibodeaux (Had MVP and DPOY. Were injuries what kept him from Finals?)
    Van Gundy (Not very familiar with his work, but love hearing him speak on the game; brilliant mind)
    Vogel (How is this Indy team where they are today with only Paul George?)

Snyder (Just hoping he doesn't chase me naked down a stairwell wielding a chainsaw)
    Brooks (See Doc Rivers but plug in Russ/Durant instead of Big 3 and subtract ring)
    Donovan (Team was already in place when he got there, albeit with health.)
    Casey (With the talent this team has, Casey will lose his job when Pacers win series)

Lue (Not much to know so far other than Lebron likes him. Possibly Rivers 2.0)
    Joerger (Makes awful, awful liquorice flavored alcohol)
    Gentry (Hurt roster, but D-league team was awesome with ball movement)

Not in order of greatness, but spaced to make it easier to read.

What would Pops do with the Knicks roster? What would Phil do coaching the Bucks? What would Red Aurbauch do coaching the Clippers? You can't really say one way or the other what Kerr would do elsewhere just like we couldn't say what any of those three coaches would have done elsewhere.
    Phil leads the front runners club. Ask me what would coaches like Larry Brown do. Larry Brown would be successful anywhere if given the chance. The Knicks nor Bobcats gave him a chance. He actually started turning the bobcats around before he and Jordan started beefing. He was good in Philly and Detroit. Good coaches can coach any roster IMO as long as its not a roster designed to lose
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 04-28-2016 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Here's my question to you. What would Kerr do in Charlotte? Would he do a better job than Clifford? It's easy to front run. No disrespect to Kerr but if he had taken the Knicks job, would you feel the same way about him?
    It doesn't matter what you think he would do. It matters what he's doing and has done. You don't know he wouldn't be much better than Clifford so it's pure speculation. Right now Kerr has done nothing to say he's not one of the top coaches in basketball. To put him in a tier behind some of those other coaches is a joke and makes no sense. What would Pop do with the Knicks? He's not some miracle worker and has benefited by having HOF players his whole coaching career as well. This is a players league and you will always need to have great players to be a great coach.

It doesn't matter what you think he would do. It matters what he's doing and has done. You don't know he wouldn't be much better than Clifford so it's pure speculation. Right now Kerr has done nothing to say he's not one of the top coaches in basketball. To put him in a tier behind some of those other coaches is a joke and makes no sense. What would Pop do with the Knicks? He's not some miracle worker and has benefited by having HOF players his whole coaching career as well. This is a players league and you will always need to have great players to be a great coach.
    by your logic, Luke Walton also belongs in the tier above all of those guys as well

Thread Information