Pelicans Report

Thread: What about a guy like Demarre Carroll?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! Spaniard's Avatar

What about a guy like Demarre Carroll?

I am curious about the risk tolerance of our fan base right now. To me, Demarre Carroll is exactly the tough, hard nosed type of player that we need. But he has some major flaws:

Toronto signed him to a 4 year, $60 million deal. He will have three years remaining and make $14.2 million next season. He also had a knee injury this year, and will turn 30 in July.

Now all of that being said, I feel he is attainable. Toronto just resigned Terrance Ross, Norman Powell has played well for them, and they are sure to offer a max deal to Derozan, as well as attempt to resign Biyombo. They could use the money, and had the second best record in the east without Carroll.

Demarre is 6'8, he's an absolute bulldog defender, and he's been a very good three point shooter at 39% this year and 39.5% his last year with the Hawks. We can expect guys like Batum, Barnes, etc. to get deals that reach well into the 20's a year. And we are sure to not be high on their list. Would you give minimal resources (second round picks), and take on the full contract of a Demarre Carroll if that was an option?

I think that if Demarre Carrol returned to form it would probably mack us legit play-off contenders every year but wouldn't put us into the serious contenders category. I honestly don't know if I would do it. If we were one piece away I think I would do it, but sadly we are many pieces away and he kind of hand cuffs us cap wise. I just dont think he is going to end up being worth the price.

What would we have to give up to get him?

probably our 2016 pick
    or other player with value like Jrue (DeRozan to Lakers, backcourt combo Lowry-Jrue)

no, thank you
    nice joke with those 2 second rounders... (nothing personal Spaniard)

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    probably our 2016 pick
    or other player with value like Jrue (DeRozan to Lakers, backcourt combo Lowry-Jrue)

no, thank you
    nice joke with those 2 second rounders... (nothing personal Spaniard)
    I think your value placed on a 30 year old with a knee injury is way off. Remember the 23 year old Tobias Harris was traded for expiring contracts. Toronto has some big contracts to lock up as I have stated. It will take a max contract to keep Derozan, and Ross' contract begins. They are going to be exceeding the $100 million mark. If a team is willing to take on Demarre's full contract, I think you will be very surprised how little it would take to get him. This would be akin to us asking for a top 5 pick for Tyreke Evans.

I believe Deandre Bembry, from St. Joseph's, may be a player in the Demarre Carrol, Jae Crowder mold that the Pelicans could go for with our 2nd pick

he averaged 17.4 pts 7.8 rebounds 4.5 assists

********e, that's comparable to Dunn's 16.4 5.3 6.2 is it not?
    Last edited by fullcourtpress; 04-20-2016 at 01:57 PM.

I would love to get Carrol if he checks out medically. I also think we have some better options though and would rather wait until next off season of we can't land our guy this year. Funny how many people wanted him so badly and I would bet those are the same people that blame Dell for not predicting injuries.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    This team doesn't need to pay that kind of money for a guy who won't be a difference maker. Exploding cap or not. Focus on the draft. Use your cap wisely and frugally. Let Demps do what he does best and try to find small potatoes for cheap. Then strike in the summer 2017 when the cap explodes again and there's a new CBA in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    This team should spend the next 12 months rebuilding the cupboard with young players and prospects in preparation for the middle three year window of ADs 5 year extension. We gotta be patient.

I see this as a buy low opportunity. $14 million for a starting SF is going to be a bargain. Without injury and Toronto's pending free agents, this would never be an option. And I think more than who is cheap and who is young, I think our rebuild needs to be about creating the right locker room and getting the right people. I see Carroll as everything we are not right now. He is a tough guy. He is a guy that plays hard all of the time. Bringing in a bunch of rookies and young vets isn't going to be the answer in my opinion. Or at least it doesn't matter if you don't start looking for the right type of players.

I'm not saying go spend $25 million on Harrison Barnes cause we "need to win." But if you don't plan to win, you might actually achieve your goal of not winning.

I hope this doesnt turn out as James Posey 2.0

I just dont think TOR will let go recently signed max SF for a 2nd rounders.
    And have a hole on the wing.
    If they will pay DDR max they will not have money left for upgrade and they will stay with Ross. Who was terrible this year.
    Masai is a smart guy. ..
    Last edited by pawel; 04-21-2016 at 12:43 AM.

Even if they viewed Carroll as expendable it's not like they'd give him away unless the injury was a serious concern in which case we wouldn't want him. Legit starting caliber 3 and D wings are in high demand now. They're like good centers in the 90's. Every team needs one but the available supply is only enough for 1/3 - 1/2 of the league.

Carroll just feels like a player who will completely fall off and not be worth his contract

SIGN A SF

Thread Information