Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's going on??? Demps press conference.

Question What's going on??? Demps press conference.

per hoopshype.com

Pelicans GM Dell Demps will hold a press conference Monday morning, the team announces. Demps hasn’t spoken publicly since late March.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    "Hey guys, I'm still here. I've got a mile long laser cannon on the moon pointed at several major cities. If you do not arrange a trade of the following players, searing hot plasma will rain down upon you..."

What's going on??? Demps press conference.

Maybe to officially introduce Ferry? I know the news broke and he's been at practices but this is probably the 1st chance for media to ask him questions and stuff since they were in the middle of looking at draft players.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Maybe to officially introduce Ferry? I know the news broke and he's been at practices but this is probably the 1st chance for media to ask him questions and stuff since they were in the middle of looking at draft players.
    It's the pre-draft press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Pardon View Post
    It's the pre-draft press conference.
    Correct! Nothing to panic about.

Who does a press conference before the draft? Lol. Ok. Either way I figured it wasn't a bad thing.

It will not be smart to give us his prospects rankings.
    But hopefully Ferry will be there and we will be able to read something 'between the lines' of his words...

I hate pre-draft press conferences. They never give out any valid information. Let's see how long Demps can speak without saying anything lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdawg26 View Post
    I hate pre-draft press conferences. They never give out any valid information. Let's see how long Demps can speak without saying anything lol.
    I agree. I am not sure of the reasoning behind them. When Loomis does them for the Saints, it is really a joke.

They are done so the media can get generic quotes that can fill a story that casual fans can read and feel caught up on

This board represents the super fan. 90% or more of the people who actually buy tickets to games, merchandise, etc have no clue about the draft, free agency, etc. They will click on an article Tuesday morning and read a quote from Demps that says he is trying to identify the best player for the team and how he is really excited about the guys available, blah, blah, blah and Mr or Mrs Casual Fan will think that's cool and then move on with their day
    @mcnamara247

Yeah it's pretty much pointless. Demps has always done a great job of not letting other teams know whats going on. My personal favorite quote is "we want to add a player that will make our ball club better!"

Banned
    How pointless. Everyone knows teams want to keep their draft plans close to their chest, not shout it out loud for the world to hear.

inb4 generic statements that please no one.

I have the script and it says he will pay Barnes the max!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    Demps is going to make us very happy soon.

This is about to start. Anyone know if its streaming anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoDatPelican View Post
    This is about to start. Anyone know if its streaming anywhere?
    http://www.nba.com/pelicans/pelicans-live-stream
    "Timing is everything. Chemistry is something that you don't just throw in the frying pan and mix it up with another something, then throw it on top of something, then fry it up and put it in a tortilla and put in a microwave, heat it up and give it to you and expect it to taste good. You know? For those of you who can cook, y'all know what I'm talking about. If y'all can't cook, this doesn't concern you."

much obliged

I'll try to give updates if anything good comes out. Otherwise I'll just recap when it's over.

Just started. BDJ right at the beginning... RIP.

Lots of losses, lots of positives. Usual team speak.

Mentions Ferry and how he helps this team. Wants to have sustained success.

Comes right out and says he doesn't want to mention names and show his cards but feels they will get a good player. Specifically mentions 39/40 as feeling they think they can get a good player there that can make the team.

Mentions free agents, Frazier and Ennis as well. Says they're open to bringing people back but just like they have options (the free agents) the team also has options and are looking at everything.

Now it's open to questions...

Someone asks about if Dell has had a change in his philosophy or if these picks...

LOTS of questions about if he values draft picks, if he thinks an 18/19 yr old can contribute, etc.

He basically said yes he thinks an 18/19 yr old can. They value different drafts, differently. But, he specifically mentions getting better through Free Agency too. Says, if they think they can get a better player long term through FA that's good too.

Asked about hot seat. Basic answer.

Asked about evaluating last season, especially about Asik. Mentions Asik's back injury and how that messed him up for the season. Then when he finally got healthy he rolled his ankle and got injured again.

Says they have a "very candid" end of season meeting with him.

More questions about injuries. Dell says they are working on injury prevention and have been for seasons now. A lot of injuries were contact injuries that there's no way to account for.

Asked about selling FA's on New Orleans. Said they have a specific plan going into it.(Definitely sounds like they have their guys they are targeting).

Now asking about Tyreke and his season. Says thinks the injury did mess him up and he seemed not himself.

Asked if he can fit the style of basketball. Kinda dodged the question and said "Yes I think he is a warrior. Want to get him back to where he was 2 years ago."

Thread Information