Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Prospects Discussion

firstly we will have to stay with those picks...

I just don't see 3 young players in our roster next season...
    I would like to, but I do not believe

I would love to trade back into the draft and grab Valentine. His 3 point shot has improved a lot and if he can have that going in the NBA the guy can be a star. He mite not be an elite athlete but neither is Harden or Ginobli. Valentine is one of the most complete players who is NBA ready that I have seen in a long time. Him coming off the bench in a Ginobli or early Harden type role is the type of things we need to be serious championship contenders. Man just hitting on two players in this draft would be so huge for this franchise going forward. This is one of my favorite drafts I have seen in a while. If we walk away with Simmons or Ingram we can be great for a long long time.

Now that the fun (or non fun) of the deadline has passed lets turn our attention to the next opportunity to improve the roster. Who would you like to grab in the draft? Who are some guys you'd like in free agency?

My Thoughts:

Draft:

this years draft is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. This organization has tried to skip steps by trading draft picks away and taking on young vets (Essentially avoided the develop young players step). In theory, it doesn't sound like a bad idea but it hasn't panned out. With max salaries increasing and with non-max players getting max money, the draft is more important than ever for small market teams.

If we don't land in the top 2 in the lottery, Jamaal Murray would be my pick at this time. The kid has a terrific feel, can shoot it, and is pretty solid attacking the rim, He can play both guard spots so he and Jrue would make a nice 1-2 combo. He will need to add some strength and body needs to develop a bit.

Free Agency

This is assuming we can't dump Asik. I don't think anyone will take him off our hands.

1. DO NOT resign Ryan Anderson unless the deal is significantly less that the rumored 15-20 mil/year. I like the guy but he is not worth that money.

2. Harrison Barnes should be our main target. IMO he is great fit for this roster. He's a solid offensive player that can make an open three, is an above average defender, has great length and athleticism. He will command pretty big $ (My guess is $18-20 mil/year) , so we will have to make some small moves to our roster to make it work. Obviously other teams will be after Barnes, including Golden State who would be the easy favorite to keep him if they don't go after Durant as has been rumored. My hope is the Gentry connection and playing alongside AD and Jrue will make him strongly consider the Pels.

3. I would look to sign a guy like Miles Plumlee. Not a great player, but better than Asik and better fit for our system. He gets up and down the floor better and he can catch. He won't cost a fortune.

Roster after Draft and Free Agency
    Starters: Dynamic, unselfish unit. 1-4 are good shooters and willing passers. Would be very hard to defend. Murray will experience some growing pains but I think his overall make up allows Gentry to throw him in the fire right off the bat.
    1. Jrue
    2. Murray
    3. Barnes
    4. AD
    5. Plumlee

2nd Unit -- This unit is a good fit for Tyreke and Asik. It allows both to do what they do best. Floor spacers allow Tyreke to have room to attack the rim and Asik will be around the rim for easy dump-offs and offensive rebounds.
    1. Tyreke
    2. BDJ
    3. QPON
    4.Cunninham
    5. Asik

Thoughts?

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopsguy View Post
    Now that the fun (or non fun) of the deadline has passed lets turn our attention to the next opportunity to improve the roster. Who would you like to grab in the draft? Who are some guys you'd like in free agency?

My Thoughts:

Draft:

this years draft is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. This organization has tried to skip steps by trading draft picks away and taking on young vets (Essentially avoided the develop young players step). In theory, it doesn't sound like a bad idea but it hasn't panned out. With max salaries increasing and with non-max players getting max money, the draft is more important than ever for small market teams.

If we don't land in the top 2 in the lottery, Jamaal Murray would be my pick at this time. The kid has a terrific feel, can shoot it, and is pretty solid attacking the rim, He can play both guard spots so he and Jrue would make a nice 1-2 combo. He will need to add some strength and body needs to develop a bit.

Free Agency

This is assuming we can't dump Asik. I don't think anyone will take him off our hands.

1. DO NOT resign Ryan Anderson unless the deal is significantly less that the rumored 15-20 mil/year. I like the guy but he is not worth that money.

2. Harrison Barnes should be our main target. IMO he is great fit for this roster. He's a solid offensive player that can make an open three, is an above average defender, has great length and athleticism. He will command pretty big $ (My guess is $18-20 mil/year) , so we will have to make some small moves to our roster to make it work. Obviously other teams will be after Barnes, including Golden State who would be the easy favorite to keep him if they don't go after Durant as has been rumored. My hope is the Gentry connection and playing alongside AD and Jrue will make him strongly consider the Pels.

3. I would look to sign a guy like Miles Plumlee. Not a great player, but better than Asik and better fit for our system. He gets up and down the floor better and he can catch. He won't cost a fortune.

Roster after Draft and Free Agency
    Starters: Dynamic, unselfish unit. 1-4 are good shooters and willing passers. Would be very hard to defend. Murray will experience some growing pains but I think his overall make up allows Gentry to throw him in the fire right off the bat.
    1. Jrue
    2. Murray
    3. Barnes
    4. AD
    5. Plumlee

2nd Unit -- This unit is a good fit for Tyreke and Asik. It allows both to do what they do best. Floor spacers allow Tyreke to have room to attack the rim and Asik will be around the rim for easy dump-offs and offensive rebounds.
    1. Tyreke
    2. BDJ
    3. QPON
    4.Cunninham
    5. Asik

Thoughts?
    Seems to be well thought out...just for the sake of discussion, would you still go with Murray if say Dunn was still available? Personally, I'm thinking Dunn. Murray, or Hield...
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

I don't have a true argument against Dunn per se. Think he has a chance to be a really good player. Big pg, skilled, potentially a stud on ball defender. He is best with the ball in his hands so I don't think he is as good of a fit next to Jrue as Murray. Also, His shooting scares me.

Just my personal opinion/philosophy here: the more guys you have who can shoot the ball the more dangerous you are as a team and the more dangerous AD becomes due to the spacing on the floor. Obviously the warriors are the perfect example of this but I don't think what they have can be replicated unless the good lord creates another Steph.

I think a Jrue/ Murray backcourt would be more similar to what Portland has now in Lillard and CJ....maybe not quite as dynamic offensively but very good and better defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    Seems to be well thought out...just for the sake of discussion, would you still go with Murray if say Dunn was still available? Personally, I'm thinking Dunn. Murray, or Hield...
    Keeping Ryno destroys our top 7 window IMO. we will pick 8-12
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    Keeping Ryno destroys our top 7 window IMO. we will pick 8-12
    The lottery is still a thing.

In fact, if the last 10 years make a trend, the sweet spot is right there from 6th to 9th.

Smbd mentioned Valentine.
    The fact that in January he is projected at no 15 does not mean that he will not go up...
    There is great decrease of talent after 7-8th pick.
    I see Valentine even in top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    The lottery is still a thing.

In fact, if the last 10 years make a trend, the sweet spot is right there from 6th to 9th.
    I just don't believe in luck. I believe in God and Destiny. But not luck. Placing your faith in luck is never a good thing. History shows us that 8-12 range stays the same, and rarely jump in the lottery. So I'll prefer to be a realist and accept our fate, instead of getting our hopes up high on "luck". Best case scenario I'm wrong and its a pleasant surprise lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    Smbd mentioned Valentine.
    The fact that in January he is projected at no 15 does not mean that he will not go up...
    There is great decrease of talent after 7-8th pick.
    I see Valentine even in top 10.
    The problem with Valentine is his lack of lateral quickness. He has real trouble to stay in front of the players he guard. For example Michigan state hide him on SF on the collegiate level. It won't be possible in NBA.
    Now if this is only a conditionning issue, it's not a problem. Izzo and his staff doesn't push hard on the conditionning and focuses more on developping their players skills and IQ (I call it the KU-reversed). So big part of the scouting shoudl revolve around determining if his lack of speed is due to this point or to his very own limitations.

ButIMO, a player with unlimited range and great BB IQ is at the top of our list of need.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxx View Post
    I just don't believe in luck. I believe in God and Destiny. But not luck. Placing your faith in luck is never a good thing. History shows us that 8-12 range stays the same, and rarely jump in the lottery. So I'll prefer to be a realist and accept our fate, instead of getting our hopes up high on "luck". Best case scenario I'm wrong and its a pleasant surprise lol.
    Your premise misses out on one factor. That luck isn't always good. The ball bounces many ways.

We'll see how things turn out in time.

I'm curious how you guys think Stefon Moody would fit on our roster with one of those 2nd round picks. Don't know much about him, just a few games I saw him in he seems like a baller.

The Franchise
    I actually like moody more than Heild especially in the second round. Instant offense for both and both I think are bench players so second round and Moody for me.

I am starting to be more excited about our two second round picks (mid-late 30s) than our 9-12th pick

I am trying to find second favourite player for 9-14 range
    1st is Valentine

Draft Prospects Discussion

I am starting to be more excited about our two second round picks (mid-late 30s) than our 9-12th pick

1st is Valentine
    Luwawu. I had a vision.

I want either Dunn/Hield/valentine or Murray before him but no guarantee they are still available when we pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tdcreator View Post
    I actually like moody more than Heild especially in the second round. Instant offense for both and both I think are bench players so second round and Moody for me.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I really like his aggressiveness and offense. I think in Gentry's system he could instantly help with spacing

Pascal Siakam could be our Dale Davis type in the 2nd round. We do need a protector
    http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...DC&FORM=VRDGAR

jrue holliday
    jamal murray
    marvin williams
    anthony davis
    Gestus ezeli

1st is Valentine
    what are the two second round picks again? are they like 37 and 40?

Right now it is 36th (Denver's) and 40th (worse of NOP and SAC )

It is useful to see tankathon.com website...

Wow thanks!

I visit that site every other day haha. I was watching Kris Dunn videos on there, and Silverfoxx you're right about this kid. He has all the makings of an all-star PG. If we landed the number two pick and I was the GM, I would have a tough time deciding between Ingram and Dunn.

I love Dunn but for this team we have to go Ingram at #2. We need a wing so badly it's not funny. Say we can't land a good FA and draft is our only option we have two very capable SGs with BDJ/QPon. This team has been looking for a wing the past decade plus.

1. Simmons
    2. Ingram
    3. Dunn
    4. everyone else.

In other news, how Johnny Jones still has a job is beyond me. Granted, I haven't been able to watch as many games as I'd like, but oi friggin' vey. They might play themselves out of an NIT bid.

Thread Information