Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SI reporting Dubs would create space for free agent Durant

Don't help the Warriors! This is what I hate about Demps. He doesn't see the big picture. This is why the public, media, GM's and everyone else was up in arms when the league rescinded the Chris Paul trade. I'm glad that Demps handled the situation as professionally as he did but had he not engaged the Lakers in trade talks in the first place, there never would've been a fire to put out in the first place.

GM's need to see the long term ramifications of things. Sure, you may be better off by having someone like Barnes over Gordon but by putting the Warriors in position to get KD, you can pretty much forget about beating the dubs for the next decade and that includes your own team. This isn't just on Demps, it should go for every GM in the league. You indirectly hurt your own team by making the top heavy teams get better because now it's even harder to compete for a title.

I will say this though. The Warriors only have around $15 million in cap space even if they renounce the rights to Barnes. They could trade Igoudola but still not have max money under the cap for KD. The max for KD should be a base of around $26 or $27 million. When you include their draft pick plus roster spot cap hits, they still wouldn't have enough even if they found someone to take Iggy or Bogut off their hands. And if every GM in the league does the right thing, they will not engage the dubs in trade talks.

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post
    Don't help the Warriors! This is what I hate about Demps. He doesn't see the big picture. This is why the public, media, GM's and everyone else was up in arms when the league rescinded the Chris Paul trade. I'm glad that Demps handled the situation as professionally as he did but had he not engaged the Lakers in trade talks in the first place, there never would've been a fire to put out in the first place.

GM's need to see the long term ramifications of things. Sure, you may be better off by having someone like Barnes over Gordon but by putting the Warriors in position to get KD, you can pretty much forget about beating the dubs for the next decade and that includes your own team. This isn't just on Demps, it should go for every GM in the league. You indirectly hurt your own team by making the top heavy teams get better because now it's even harder to compete for a title.

I will say this though. The Warriors only have around $15 million in cap space even if they renounce the rights to Barnes. They could trade Igoudola but still not have max money under the cap for KD. The max for KD should be a base of around $26 or $27 million. When you include their draft pick plus roster spot cap hits, they still wouldn't have enough even if they found someone to take Iggy or Bogut off their hands. And if every GM in the league does the right thing, they will not engage the dubs in trade talks.
    I had to read this post a couple times before I finally picked up what you were putting down.

Competitors aren't afraid of the moves you make after helping them get better. IF Barnes is an upgrade a position of need, you do it! GSW is a championship team NOW, and everybody else is trying to build one. You need pieces to do that and Barnes may be just that, a piece.

Does Durant swing the balance of power to the Warriors? They are already the class of the NBA, so the rest of the teams are already fighting uphill. To insulate that you don't improve your club for fear of what some other team may do just doesn't sit with me.

Also, don't think for a second that if Kevin Durant wanted to go to GS, they wouldn't make it work. There was speculation on whether Miami could free up space to add LeBron and Bosh, and well we know how that turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sujaguar00 View Post
    I had to read this post a couple times before I finally picked up what you were putting down.

Competitors aren't afraid of the moves you make after helping them get better. IF Barnes is an upgrade a position of need, you do it! GSW is a championship team NOW, and everybody else is trying to build one. You need pieces to do that and Barnes may be just that, a piece.

Does Durant swing the balance of power to the Warriors? They are already the class of the NBA, so the rest of the teams are already fighting uphill. To insulate that you don't improve your club for fear of what some other team may do just doesn't sit with me.

Also, don't think for a second that if Kevin Durant wanted to go to GS, they wouldn't make it work. There was speculation on whether Miami could free up space to add LeBron and Bosh, and well we know how that turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lebron, Bosh and Wade all took pay cuts to fit under the cap. If KD wants to take a paycut to go to GS then there's not much that can be done but if he wants the max, it would take a trade to get it done. Is Barnes really the only option out there for the Pelicans? Guys like Batum and Deng are also free agents. If you can get one of them then you have a similar talent without making the Warriors better. There are options.

One thing I forgot about though is the stretch provision. The Warriors can stretch the remaining year on Bogut and Iggy's contract over a period of 3 years. That means that instead of paying them $12 million next year, you pay each of them $4 million over 3 years. That would free up another $16 million for KD. It would rob them of their depth but they'd have arguably the best starting 5 in the history of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Century City View Post

Great post.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    "This is what I hate about Demps"?

What has Demps even said or done exactly?

Would love to add both Barnes and Iggy to this team. Holiday/Iggy/Barnes/AD would be a damn good 4 to play with. I think Iggy would fit in perfectly on this team. I wish we would have gotten him in the first place over Reke. Basically we would be swapping Gordon/Reke out for Iggy/Barnes. That would be a upgrade in both sides of the ball while giving us much better fits on this team. If we don't help the Warriors out then I promise you someone else will. We need to do whatever we can to improve this team even if we are helping someone else out. Man adding those two guys along with a hit in the draft would make this team so deep and very talented. Iggy still has plenty of game left while Barnes is just tapping into his potential.

Thread Information