Pelicans Report

Thread: What kind of player exactly is Ryan Anderson?

What kind of player exactly is Ryan Anderson?

He's a unique hybrid of a three and a four - shoots the three like an elite wing but can rebound and post like a four and he's also a bit slow by foot - exactly where does he fit in a team's planning?

Off the bench spot up shooter. He'd be best IMO on a team that will ask him to just shoot and rebound. That would be a perfect role for him. I think that he's doing too much here. A title contending team would love Ryno. He's going to get overpaid so I pray that the Pels don't overvalue him and meet his price tag. We need so much more help on this team.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Off the bench spot up shooter. He'd be best IMO on a team that will ask him to just shoot and rebound. That would be a perfect role for him. I think that he's doing too much here. A title contending team would love Ryno. He's going to get overpaid so I pray that the Pels don't overvalue him and meet his price tag. We need so much more help on this team.
    How many teams have a bench player capable of dropping 40 on any given night doe?

I can't think of too many.

Let's be fair - Ryno would be starting for the majority of teams in the NBA - only reason he's not starting with us is because of AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    How many teams have a bench player capable of dropping 40 on any given night doe?

Let's be fair - Ryno would be starting for the majority of teams in the NBA - only reason he's not starting with us is because of AD.
    He wouldn't be starting on any playoff team IMO. Who would he replace in the starting line-up of a playoff team?

Cleveland - K. Love
    Toronto - D. Carroll
    Chicago - T. Gibson
    Atlanta - P. Milsap
    Boston
    Detroit - G. Monroe
    Miami - C. Bosh
    Indiana
    Golden State - D. Green
    San Antonio - L. Alridge
    Oklahoma City - S. Ibaka
    L.A. Clippers - B. Griffin
    Memphis - Z. Randolph
    Dallas - D. Nowitzski
    Houston
    Portland
    Last edited by UptownFuz504; 01-29-2016 at 01:33 PM.

I agree he is the perfect 6th man, offensive sub for defense late in the game, occasional match up nightmare like last night!!
    I want to keep him. Would love for him to keep current salary of 8.5 million but bird number of 12.5 assuming new numbers team cap numbers are around 107, is do able

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post

You really think Ryno is capable of dropping 40 on any given night? Come on. That's ridiculous.

Toronto - D. Carroll
    Don't they play Scola and Patterson at the 4? I think Ryno starts over them.

Detroit - G. Monroe
    You mean Ilyasova and Ryno would start over him.

I think Randolph is also coming off the bench now and Ryno would start over him. He would start in Portland (over Vonleh) too. With Noah out (and gone) he would start at PF and Taj at C in Chicago. He would probably start in Hou over Capela, Jones, Montijunas, and Josh Smith if Dwight was playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonetiks View Post
    Don't they play Scola and Patterson at the 4? I think Ryno starts over them.

You mean Ilyasova and Ryno would start over him.

I think Randolph is also coming off the bench now and Ryno would start over him. He would start in Portland (over Vonleh) too. With Noah out (and gone) he would start at PF and Taj at C in Chicago. He would probably start in Hou over Capela, Jones, Montijunas, and Josh Smith if Dwight was playing.
    I don't think that he starts in MIL but for the sake of argument, Perth said majority and that is definitely a false statement.

Ryan's post skills are important. Otherwise you can just stick a sf on him and get murdered on the other end.

I think that he is a team player, with a great personality that has overcome grief and bonded with New Orleans. He is dependable and has uncanny shooting skills. He participates in the community and is positive energy. I would be reluctant to trade him.
    We had quite a few interesting conversations as we pondered and navigated the nightly canopy.

lots of people getting hit with the banhammer lately

I want to keep him can somebody take Asik from us instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SIGN A SF

Ryno is a good luxury. His price tag won't be. If we spend big money on Ryno, everybody in the front office should be fired. We have tons of issues and if big dollars are going to be spent, it needs to be on a stud.

Trade ryan while his value is high. A lot of teams need a stretch 4. We can get decent value for him why not use that as an advantage. He hustles every night and he might have some flaws but who doesnt. He's a good guy and will be good to a franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpnose View Post
    I think that he is a team player, with a great personality that has overcome grief and bonded with New Orleans. He is dependable and has uncanny shooting skills. He participates in the community and is positive energy. I would be reluctant to trade him.
    He's a great locker room guy, but is in no way at all a team player. Once the ball gets into his hands, it's not leaving unless it's going towards the basket.
    Hey @okcthunder - you guys suck! Our top players are hurt. Some are dead. Some don't even like basketball.And we still kicked y'all's asses!- @TheFakeMonty

Let's be honest, Anderson is a very tricky piece to build a championship team.

First of all on defense, he can't swith on any pick-and-roll (remember how the warriors destroyed us with Ryno switch on Curry ? Yeah I think all team in the league too), he's not really effective but he's killing less his team when he guard other big man. Still you need his teamates to be able to help him on defense (guards able to prevent the switch on P&R and center able to help quick and protect the rim) and you can't use switchy agressive scheme like Warriors do.

On offense, he's more tricky than you think. Yeah he can provide great spacing, but he's a ball stopper and he struggle to be effective when guarded by SF who track him down on offense. Yeah he could improve on his ball-moving instinct but still he never gonna be Diaw or Green lite, so you need to have every other players around him to be good passers if you want Warriors/spurs type of ball movement.

Given the massive use of smallball nowadays it's really hard to build a team where you can have him guard a big man and not be defended by an SF. So in my opinion, as much as I appreciate him, Ryno he's a player from another time and an odd fit for our new system.

On offense, he has his pros and cons.

He can create a shot for himself, probably better than Davis at this since Davis is being used like how some people try to use condoms

But he is a ball stopper

But he also provides spacing, which is great to give Davis room to operate.

However, he might be the worst defending big man in the nba.

Id keep him though. But I'd look for options.

On offense, he has his pros and cons.

He can create a shot for himself, probably better than Davis at this since Davis is being used like how some people try to use condoms

But he is a ball stopper

But he also provides spacing, which is great to give Davis room to operate.

However, he might be the worst defending big man in the Nba

He has his qualities, he can save broken possessions better than Davis atm. And he is arguably a top 10 post scoring big man in the nba (look it up)

Id keep him though. But I'd look for options. but we need him this year

His rapm is negative though
    Last edited by DanceWithDavis; 01-30-2016 at 10:13 PM.

I think people under estimate the value of Ryno big time around here. We would be hurting so bad without that scoring punch off the bench. If we can dunk Asik going cheaper at the C position which we need to then he is a no brainer to be back. Just moving Reke for an expiring would allow us to sign Ryno along with a max player and our 1st round draft pick. He needs to be a part of our future while we get a better fit for Reke and Gordon.

This team can be great and IMO an elite bench player is needed and Ryno is that guy. If it wasn't him we are paying to be a stud off the bench then it is someone else. He also allows us to play AD at center often giving teams matchup problems and space to work with for AD better then any front court player in the NBA. All of the people whining about his defense needs to realize he almost doubles the output of every player he is matched up with. If he was a great defender he would be one of the top players in this league. I think he is slightly below the level of Love and for the price I take Ryno.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 01-30-2016 at 11:18 PM.

Thread Information