Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Asik nightmare continues

Asik nightmare continues

So sad to think that even Stevie Wonder could see it was a mistake resigning Asik but for some crazy reason Demps and Loomis did it.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...art_river_home

Why is there an article about one dude's opinion on RealGM? Not saying he isn't right. Guess what? we weren't bidding against anybody.

I'ts never as good as you think it is and conversely it's never as bad as it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelifan View Post
    Why is there an article about one dude's opinion on RealGM? Not saying he isn't right. Guess what? we weren't bidding against anybody.
    I no rite that's the biggest

Aspect of the whole deal. NO ONE ELSE WAS BIDDING.
    Last edited by Perth_Hornet; 01-28-2016 at 11:26 AM.

I said in another thread that we're stuck with this dude.

Asik is not the biggest problem of this franchise.
    Within better constructed team his 15-20 minutes might be very useful...

Hassan Whiteside is expected to get a Max. People think we looked at an Asik for Mozgov swap as part of a bigger Love deal because Mozgov might get paid more than Asik. Asik is not a problem now or this offseason because there aren't any targets we can get that wouldn't be a huge over pay. Asik doesn't become a problem until years 3, 4 and 5, and that's only a problem for the Pels because hopefully by then AD will be comfortable enough playing center that you can have a lower priced brute to take 15-20 MPG at center. Asik will be decently priced relative to the rest of the market. So as long as he stays healthy and does what he does, I wouldn't be shocked if you could give him away in 2 years when 2 cap escalations of nearly $40 million will drastically change what is considered the "worst contract in the league."

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    I'm tired of Asik and don't think he fits well with the team. They signed Asik to take the physical punishment from bigs in order to protect Anthony Davis, and that is basically the whole reason Asik is on the team but is that really in AD's best interest as a player? Anthony Davis is not a skinny, fragile rookie anymore. He needs to develop his interior game and get better with his back to the basket. Davis has the skill set and the size to play like Hakeem Olajuwon. But he has never gotten comfortable posting up and Gentry is enabling this by bringing him further out from the basket, probably in part because having Asik on the floor kills the spacing on offense and doesn't leave room for AD in the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by hornetsrebirth View Post
    I'm tired of Asik and don't think he fits well with the team. They signed Asik to take the physical punishment from bigs in order to protect Anthony Davis, and that is basically the whole reason Asik is on the team but is that really in AD's best interest as a player? Anthony Davis is not a skinny, fragile rookie anymore. He needs to develop his interior game and get better with his back to the basket. Davis has the skill set and the size to play like Hakeem Olajuwon. But he has never gotten comfortable posting up and Gentry is enabling this by bringing him further out from the basket, probably in part because having Asik on the floor kills the spacing on offense and doesn't leave room for AD in the paint.
    You don't pay a guy 10 million or whatever it is to take punishment. If that was all, we could have just used Kendrick Perkins or whatever. No, Gentry thought Asik would be his version of Bogut, and massively miscalculated.
    Hey @okcthunder - you guys suck! Our top players are hurt. Some are dead. Some don't even like basketball.And we still kicked y'all's asses!- @TheFakeMonty

Demps should get fired on Asik deal alone. That was just retarded to sign him for that. We want to play fast and run the floor, but sign a extremely slow center that has back problems and non athletic? Makes no sense. It would make sense if we were playing Monty ball but not gentry system smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msw2024 View Post
    Demps should get fired on Asik deal alone. That was just retarded to sign him for that. We want to play fast and run the floor, but sign a extremely slow center that has back problems and non athletic? Makes no sense. It would make sense if we were playing Monty ball but not gentry system smh.

Right but why did we sign him is the question. It came after we hired Gentry, I find it extremely hard to believe that Gentry didn't sign off on it which makes it more confusing, why would Gentry sign off on an Asik extension?

I despise watching Asik play basketball on the offensive side

SIGN A SF

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    Asik has been playing better as of late due to being healthy, and finally getting comfortable in the system. He played very well tonight and gave Cousins a hard time. If he can play solid d and produce 8 points/13 boards, then I am OK with Asik.

He had been playing with a nagging injury. Now he is playing really well. I
    Please visit http://playbal.blogspot.com/ to read my articles

Agree. He's moving better on defense and quicker to the rim on offense and for rebounds. Those hands though....

Quote Originally Posted by new city champ View Post
    Agree. He's moving better on defense and quicker to the rim on offense and for rebounds. Those hands though....
    Are getting better

The Franchise    Contributor   

as much as I can't stand watching the guy play he has been playing better lately, filling his role. still wish he was gone, but playing like he has the last two weeks and that contract won't look like as much of an over-pay under the new cap. that said, seems like he found a new way to make me despise him, the errant pass that leads to a turnover after a big rebound. I think I hate that more than when he fumbles the ball or misses a dunk. His stone hands are a physical problem, but those errant passes are a mental one. but you can't deny he's playing better. arg, even my mixed feeling make me angry....

Quote Originally Posted by Hugeaux II View Post
    as much as I can't stand watching the guy play he has been playing better lately, filling his role. still wish he was gone, but playing like he has the last two weeks and that contract won't look like as much of an over-pay under the new cap. that said, seems like he found a new way to make me despise him, the errant pass that leads to a turnover after a big rebound. I think I hate that more than when he fumbles the ball or misses a dunk. His stone hands are a physical problem, but those errant passes are a mental one. but you can't deny he's playing better. arg, even my mixed feeling make me angry....
    eh, if Gentry and co are working with him to build on the passing out after rebounding, I don't have an issue as this should slowly improve (which fits along the lines of what Gentry seems to like at C). We aren't winning a ring this season, so I want the guys making mistakes and learning from them. we as fans can be frustrated as we like, and be annoyed at these humans not being as perfect as our minds constructs, but it is very unrealistic.

Keep an eye on Stephen Zimmerman from UNLV. He could be a good one assuming he declares for the draft. He's only a freshman but they're already saying that he has lottery potential.

Asik had the worst hands I have ever seen and that's not exaggerating. I can't believe someone with hands that big can't catch a ball or hold it. It really is like tossing a tennis ball to a 1 year old. I like Dell and I try to be optimistic about players but man we blew it on Asik. He is not getting any better he just is what he is. For the people saying oh but Whiteside is getting a max and no Cs will be available means what? Whiteside has a huge impact on a game shutting the paint down and yes plenty of Cs will be available with Asiks talent. I still think we should have signed MaGee who is exactly what we need and would fit perfect in this system next to Davis. Give me MaGee and Ajinca for the price over Asik anyday. Should have just paid Ajinca with Perk and a filler. Easily the worst signing in the Pelicans era.

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    He actually has gotten better in the past month, so I wouldn't write him off yet. I believe that his being out of shape while learning a new system took a bigger than anticipated toll on him.

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    I've liked Asik's play as of late. Still in all, the question of signing BOTH him and Ajinca is a fair one, especially when some games they both barely play.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I know I'm in the minority but I like Asik. The dude got paid, got hurt, took his lumps, and at least seems to be trying to improve. I think there is something to be said for that. Especially given that with his limited offensive game he is still out on the floor talking on offense.

As for Ajinca, I think that was a matter of contingency planning and stockpiling assets. Dell could go over the cap to resign him when he really couldn't do so for anyone else without being penalized. At the time Anderson's full recovery was still up in the air. And Ajinca's contract can bring back somewhere between 8-9 million dollars in salary in a trade.

I think asik is actually playing well, and this is coming from the biggest asik hater.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    I know I'm in the minority but I like Asik. The dude got paid, got hurt, took his lumps, and at least seems to be trying to improve. I think there is something to be said for that. Especially given that with his limited offensive game he is still out on the floor talking on offense.

As for Ajinca, I think that was a matter of contingency planning and stockpiling assets. Dell could go over the cap to resign him when he really couldn't do so for anyone else without being penalized. At the time Anderson's full recovery was still up in the air. And Ajinca's contract can bring back somewhere between 8-9 million dollars in salary in a trade.
    Got paid 10+ million a year and your happy he is atleast trying to improve and talking on offense?! I think he has played better and liked the trade when it happened. That was before I saw how unathletic he has become from the injury. If Asik ever regains what athleticism he had then he can be an ok player for us but until then he is what he is. His one job is to rebound and he barely crack 8 rebounds in a good game. I was always a fan of Asik until I had to watch him continually hurt our team while he is on the floor. I'll give it time to see if he improves from here on out but I highly doubt anything changes. Setting hard screens and banging down low is not worth 10+ million a year IMO.

Thread Information