Pelicans Report

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Jrue Holiday

Basketball Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ItIsRynosTime View Post
    No one who is injured is playing, and playing very good, I can assure you that. Ryno is a starting caliber player. Jrue is a starting caliber player. It matters a lot when you have two of your top 3 current healthy players playing less minutes off the bench than the starters and the starters are ineffective and the bench is fantastic, highest scoring in NBA. Jrue and/or Ryno starting would be able to play more minutes starting with the same amount of rest or more rest between minutes and not be any worse for the wear. This would open up the floor for AD and the offensive to flow more smoothly. And I've mentioned ad nauseam why in my opinion it is more important to have a good starting unit than a good bench. You need to play your best players the most minutes, you need to get a big lead early when possible so the opponent lets up their level of play a little. It's safe to assume teams play better when winning or ahead or in the game and confidence and morale is high than they do when losing or behind. That is how good teams win in the NBA.

so you want ryno to start?...so you would have jrue,,ryno,,AD,,in the starting 5 right?.....now if a team has a big that can post up and score then AD or ryno is guarding him and they will get in early foul trouble then will maybe have to sit out a lot of mins in the first half....man that's just not smart coaching........its facts that we are winning because of our bench play right now and our best players are getting the mins they need......the team is playing good ball right now so leave the lineup as is...

If Holiday and the team is thriving with him playing the Ginobili role off the bench where's the problem? Its difficult to find players with his ability willing to fill this role. It makea perfect sense for him to play this role for the remainder off the season due to his effectiveness and his injury history. Also if the team is shopping Tyreke & Gordon, it only enhances their trade value being starters.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I think you see disagreement where there is none. This, I believe, is why you are confused.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Do you believe we are intentionally sitting them so worse players can take their minutes?
    Yes. That is exactly what is happening, with emphasis on worse combinations of players. The numbers speak for themselves. Either Gentry has knowledge and sound reasoning unbeknownst to me for his starting lineups and minutes distribution. One that goes against what the numbers and watching the game show. Or Gentry realizes it's not working, and will correct it at some point. Or worst of all, Gentry doesn't see that there is a problem and will continue the trend that we've seen lately.
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 02-01-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 6warddude View Post
    so you want ryno to start?...so you would have jrue,,ryno,,AD,,in the starting 5 right?.....now if a team has a big that can post up and score then AD or ryno is guarding him and they will get in early foul trouble then will maybe have to sit out a lot of mins in the first half....man that's just not smart coaching........its facts that we are winning because of our bench play right now and our best players are getting the mins they need......the team is playing good ball right now so leave the lineup as is...
    If I had Tyreke and Gordon healthy, I'm starting at least 4 of the 5 between Tyreke, Jrue, Gordon, Ryno and AD. With Tyreke and Gordon injured I'm doing one of three things. My first choice is to start Jrue and Ryno but you can make an argument for bringing Ryno off the bench when you start Jrue. Or you can start AD and Ryno and bring Jrue off the bench but that doesn't make as much sense as the other options. Jrue always starts for me in this situation, especially when the alternative is Cole.

No you don't leave things how they are because a team got lucky or was fortunate to win because the bench was amazing and they needed the bench to be that amazing for a narrow victory. If Ryno, Jrue, and AD started that game with 32+ minutes each the game is decidedly won, and not a coin flip at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by PelicansBay View Post
    If Holiday and the team is thriving with him playing the Ginobili role off the bench where's the problem? Its difficult to find players with his ability willing to fill this role. It makea perfect sense for him to play this role for the remainder off the season due to his effectiveness and his injury history. Also if the team is shopping Tyreke & Gordon, it only enhances their trade value being starters.
    I wouldn't call this team thriving squeaking out a win vs the Nets. The Pelicans are playing the easier part of their schedule and they literally couldn't play any worse than the start they got off to. This Pelicans team could be playing better. It's pretty clear Jrue is healthy or else he wouldn't be playing as many minutes as he is off the bench, he is cleared to play basketball isn't he? So if he plays a few more minutes starting with more rest between those minutes then he gets off the bench he should be fine. I would guess a lot of injuries occur because of fatigue, however he will be fine starting and playing 30-35 minutes. The trade value thing as the reason for Jrue maybe coming off the bench could have been valid until both Tyreke and Gordon are injured and Jrue is still coming off the bench. Which team has been successful bringing two of their best players off the bench?
    Last edited by ItIsRynosTime; 01-31-2016 at 07:46 PM.

The roster isn't balanced as constructed. Hopefully the team can trade Ryno for a young player and a 1st. A young player like Winslow, Stanly Johnson, TJ Warren or Hezonja.

Jrue starting or not starting isn't the problem, but he makes a valid point of coles minute distribution vs jrues. Who in their right rind would play Cole, Douglas, or any of our current group of healthy guards more mins on average than jrue. If he is no restrictions why so few minutes thats my issue. Jrue should be averaging 30 min this month. According to the staff his restrictions are lifted let him play.

I am against Jrue playing more than 25 mpg for the rest of the season. Jrue could be an all-star. He has bone issues, give that man more than a year for those bones to fully set and heal. No stress on them. I would've sat him the entire year. This year is shot anyway.

Anyone want to be swept round 1 by GS again?

I'll take being swept by GS, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by 42 View Post
    I'll take being swept by GS, yes.
    Nuts. Over a chance to add a piece that could help us win a ring AND ensure Jrue's health for the next 4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominica View Post
    Nuts. Over a chance to add a piece that could help us win a ring AND ensure Jrue's health for the next 4 years?
    False dilemma.

I am against Jrue playing more than 25 mpg for the rest of the season. Jrue could be an all-star. He has bone issues, give that man more than a year for those bones to fully set and heal. No stress on them. I would've sat him the entire year. This year is shot anyway.

Anyone want to be swept round 1 by GS again?
    That's not guaranteed.
    How do you know that there won't be an injury to Curry or Green and we get a little luck?

How can we do it with lets say 13th pick? What is the difference between 11 and 16 pick.
    See that team is playin for PO. They may lose couple of games at the end. On purpose at the earliest.
    Direction was made. We are not tanking.
    We have to find a player in the draft but outside od top8. Of that it us better to try to win and evaluate.
    And also. Small DD moves are coming...

How can we do it with lets say 13th pick? What is the difference between 11 and 16 pick.
    See that team is playin for PO. They may lose couple of games at the end. On purpose at the earliest.
    Direction was made. We are not tanking.
    We have to find a player in the draft but outside of top8. From this range it is better to try to win and evaluate.
    And also. Small DD moves are coming...

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glepurple View Post
    Jrue starting or not starting isn't the problem, but he makes a valid point of coles minute distribution vs jrues. Who in their right rind would play Cole, Douglas, or any of our current group of healthy guards more mins on average than jrue. If he is no restrictions why so few minutes thats my issue. Jrue should be averaging 30 min this month. According to the staff his restrictions are lifted let him play.
    This, plus lack of floor spacing in the starting lineup which would improve with Jrue, plus Jrue being a better set up PG than either Cole or Reke for Davis, plus my belief that Tyrekes game fits better as a super sub.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    I love how it is an absolute. The only players that could ever amount to anything are selected in the lottery, despite all evidence to the contrary. It's to the point where they may as well not even have picks after it.

I think it's time we put Jrue in the starting lineup. I get the whole thing how he finishes games. Sometimes that isn't enough though and we need a push from the start with Jrue helping guard the point of attack while setting the starters up and scoring himself. I would much rather have Reke come off the bench then Jrue. When you don't start the game it's hard to get the minutes up because if he finishes the game his rest doesn't come in the same spurts as others. He is forced to player longer periods of time. I think it was smart to bring Jrue off the bench at first and let him knock the rust off. When teams bring a guard off the bench it's usually because they have a few other very good players at one of the guard positions who can get their own shot and score but we don't have that. Our best chance at winning is having Jrue start the game and finish IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    I love how it is an absolute. The only players that could ever amount to anything are selected in the lottery, despite all evidence to the contrary. It's to the point where they may as well not even have picks after it.
    People don't think that. However your odds of landing a star in the lottery are much greater than outside of it. Look at the top scorers in the league, 23 of the top 30 scorers were selected in the top 11. Not to mention people really want at least a cance of pairing Simmons with AD. In 08 and 14, the team with the 9th worst record got the #1 pick. Clippers won with the 8th worst in '11. Now the difference between say the 12th or 13th worst record in the lottery and the 15th or 16th worst record is minimal and not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It isn't absolute and nobody thinks that it is. It's all about improving the chance of us winning a championship. To win a championship you need stars, and the best chance of getting a star is with a higher pick. It's no guarantee we'll pick right, but that gives us the best chance.
    Hey @okcthunder - you guys suck! Our top players are hurt. Some are dead. Some don't even like basketball.And we still kicked y'all's asses!- @TheFakeMonty

Jrue with that 21-8-4 per 36 tho.

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    Jrue with that 21-8-4 per 36 tho.
    He's a beast! I think those #s are going to be very close to what he averages next year shooting around 45% from the field and 40% from 3. Me and you both were calling this a while back. If we can just find that 1 player who can make Jrue the 3rd option we can be great. I know it's not possible right now but Paul George is my dream player for this team. He would be absolutely perfect for what this team needs. Jrue/PG/AD would be a championship big 3 to build around.

Agreed, he would be perfect piece but only way we get him is in 4 years when his contract is up imo.

But yes me and u never jumped off the jrue train once lol

U-L-M...Geaux Hawks Geaux djpaul89's Avatar
    Another thing I don't like about Holiday not starting: now would have been the PERFECT opportunity to test the long-term effectiveness of an Evans-Holiday backcourt and subsequent Evans-Holiday-Davis three-headed monster. Of course Evans is hurt (because Pelican luck) but I highly doubt he'd be trying it anyway.

I understand Evans has been in trade talks...so it would have been a golden opportunity, while you have the excuse of Gordon being out, to run with them and get a gauge for their long-term effectiveness before having to pull the trigger at the Feb deadline. But...what do I know

ETA: as usual, Evans & Holiday's lineup stats have been ridiculous (see the recent Bird Writes article on Jrue-Reke-AD lineup). Just makes no sense how it's not being utilized more. If Jrue is truly off of minute restrictions and feeling 100%, let's see what we have so we can make these crucial long-term roster decisions in the coming months...

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by djpaul89; 02-01-2016 at 06:03 PM.

Man Holiday is sucking tonight! He is killing us tonight. I think a few people mite come out of hiding tonight for the first time in a while and give a "told you so!" haha!

tank lovers should be happy

it is sports. he had great month, and poor one game on offensive end. with the great defense.

Ahhhhhh......the great word being thrown around again.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Thread Information