Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What could have been...

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! donato's Avatar
    McNamara was wrong about both Klay and Barnes, it happens. He's obviously not against finding the best players possible, but it makes sense that those two particular players aren't attainable now. I'm not sure I understand your point. He's not the GM making the calls.

I wouldn't say I was wrong yet. I said neither will be great under Monty's system, which was like Mark Jackson's system. They got a new system and looked better, though Klay has come back down to earth and I still don't think Barnes is a great player regardless of system. I obviously would like both under Gentry, but I don't think either is a transcendent player. I still wouldn't want either on a Monty team
    @mcnamara247

I think what plain to see here is that Walton's System> Phil's system>Kerr. Walton is da GOAT.

But seriously, like MM is saying, guys of Klay's ability don't go switching teams every year, unless they are past their prime, and named Paul Pierce. Guys like Klay (are are maybe the 2nd player in a Big 3) don't roll away from their teams everyday, so just plucking one up in free agency won't be easy (but it will be pursued).

What your looking for is a team who has a guy like Klay, but they think he is an AD. They have him on a pedistool. Go to them and offer 3 avg-above avg. players, and see if they bite. I don't know how likely that is to happen, or what teams would be down for the cause, but you know the player/team situation. Like when Bosh was the star in Toronto. Or even Kemba Walker is now in Charlotte, or Melo is in NY. Sure they are a star, but they aren't looked on as highly anywhere else as they are in their own town.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Our goal is to get great players but that is the goal of every team and very few ever switch. Even very good players rarely switch. I mean, how many switched this year? One? Two?

Of course Dell will try, but I was referring to you expecting something. I would say the odds of someone better than even Eric Gordon joining the Pels this offseason would be less than 20%. Maybe less than 10
    Yea I agree it's not given and the odds are stacked against everyone trying to improve. I just think we have a good chance of getting that player we need. They will have some good players in FA available along with very good players teams mite be looking to move to shed salary. Things happen every single year no one expects or could predict. Gordon at the time when we were going to resign him was one of the best SGs in the league while being very young. He had some injury concerns but nothing major. He was our only max player and lots of people wanted to not sign him and let him walk which we were very close to doing. I see the Barnes situation being similar for them maybe. We had one max contract being given out that we didn't offer in the 1st place just matched while Barnes will be the Warriors 4th max contract. I definitely see it as a possibility they let him walk. JMO but we will see.

I wouldn't say I was wrong yet. I said neither will be great under Monty's system, which was like Mark Jackson's system. They got a new system and looked better, though Klay has come back down to earth and I still don't think Barnes is a great player regardless of system. I obviously would like both under Gentry, but I don't think either is a transcendent player. I still wouldn't want either on a Monty team
    If you don't think that highly of them then what makes it so unbelievable we will sign a Klay Thompson type player to our team? That would be some pretty low expectations then with what we plan on improving this team with. Also if you don't think so highly of Barnes and a lot of his contract will be based off of him growing as player not who he is now. I think Barnes could be a Klay for us and with an expanded role there is no telling how good he could be. Why would the Warriors give out a 4th max contract to someone who is the 4th option for them and someone that you don't see as all that great? If he's not that type of player to you then he deinfitely should not be worth a max contract to the Warriors when he is the 4th option offensively while they have someone in Iggy who can replace him for the mean time while they can go out in FA this or next year and bring in someone at a cheaper price to do what Barnes does for them. I don't think people would be too happy with us giving a max to our 4th option that some don't believe to be worth it even if the cap goes up. Especially if we had a perfectly capable backup under a decent sized contract who just won finals MVP. Just like people didn't want to sign Gordon who was the only max player and considered one of the top up and coming guards in the league. The Warriors very well mite offer him something similar to what we did with Gordon while we give Barnes the max and they just decide not to go that far in price for him. That just doesn't make much sense if you don't think that highly of him for them to go out and throw a max to a 4th guy. They will still need to keep a big man around maybe being Ezeli while moving Bogut or letting Ezeli walk and keeping Bogut. Also keeping most of their bench intact will be something I'm sure they will want to do. I just don't see how you can be so positive that no way they let him walk.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-27-2015 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Yea I agree it's not given and the odds are stacked against everyone trying to improve. I just think we have a good chance of getting that player we need. They will have some good players in FA available along with very good players teams mite be looking to move to shed salary. Things happen every single year no one expects or could predict. Gordon at the time when we were going to resign him was one of the best SGs in the league while being very young. He had some injury concerns but nothing major. He was our only max player and lots of people wanted to not sign him and let him walk which we were very close to doing. I see the Barnes situation being similar for them maybe. We had one max contract being given out that we didn't offer in the 1st place just matched while Barnes will be the Warriors 4th max contract. I definitely see it as a possibility they let him walk. JMO but we will see.
    Where did you hear that we were very close to not resigning Gordon?

Even if we could get Barnes, would he be worth Ryno and Gordon? I mean, if GS came to you right now and offered that, would you take it?

And it wouldn't be just those two. To give out a max deal, we would have to shed another contract or two, like say Cunningham. Those 3 for Barnes or Batum- are we all of a sudden that much better?

I would let all those guys go for a Durant or maybe Horford, but nobody else in the upcoming class. I honestly don't mind QPon, DC, and Gee doing all the dirty work at the 3. Barnes is a better player than all of them, but is he that much of an upgrade that you sacrifice a guy like Ryno? I wouldn't.

Banned
    Even if we could get Barnes, would he be worth Ryno and Gordon? I mean, if GS came to you right now and offered that, would you take it?

And it wouldn't be just those two. To give out a max deal, we would have to shed another contract or two, like say Cunningham. Those 3 for Barnes or Batum- are we all of a sudden that much better?

I would let all those guys go for a Durant or maybe Horford, but nobody else in the upcoming class. I honestly don't mind QPon, DC, and Gee doing all the dirty work at the 3. Barnes is a better player than all of them, but is he that much of an upgrade that you sacrifice a guy like Ryno? I wouldn't.
    I thought we had room for two max deals with just the FA's walking this year...?

Wasn't there many in the Hornets at the time that thought we were going to get Curry? Like they even started printing programs with him on them or something to that effect
    Jrue dat

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    Where did you hear that we were very close to not resigning Gordon?
    First of all we offered him a good bit less and most of the time when teams value a player as a max they give it to them right away. He signed the contract with PHX stating how he wanted to be there and there was rumors with the Pelicans maybe not matching with lots of people not wanting them too. I think if there wasn't the pressure with him being the main piece in the CP3 trade the contract would not have been matched. Nobody knows for sure if we were considering letting him walk but there was deinfitely things floating around about us maybe not going to that price. I like Gordon and if it wasn't for some very unlucky injuries we would have had a very good guard for a while now with no telling how good he would be. It would have been nice if the Suns would have had talks with us so we could have atleast talked about a sign and trade.

I think we could possibly move Reke while letting Gordon walk to make this possible. I think your right that losing Ryno and Gordon that would be most likely too much. We have other options that we could make work though. I would take QPon at the 2 with Barnes at the 3 while keeping Ryno. I like both Gordon and Reke but I think Barnes can be great for us while we have a capable player for the 2 and the ability to add to the team in the future along with hopefully hitting on our draft pick. I think we could find a SG to play with QPon while having Gee and Dante backing up Barnes.

Jrue/Cole/Ish
    QPon/1st rounder/Gee
    Barnes/Gee/Dante
    Davis/Ryno/Dante
    Asik/Ajinca/Perkins

I could definitely roll with that roster and maybe find some fillers when the cap raises if possible to add someone else. Barnes has lots of potential and in a larger role he could break out. Elite athlete, very good 3 point shooter, very good rebounder, potential to be one of the better SFs in the league defensively, has youth and room to grow and improve his game along with AD. Much better scheme fit then Reke and we could get good production from the 2 spot with QPon and hopefully hitting on a pick in the draft. Someone like Valentine would be perfect in that role. I would take Barnes and a 1st rounder over Reke/Gordon for the future in a heartbeat. I think Rekes deal will be very moveable and possibly even part of a sign and trade with GS who would only have him for a year. He could fit very well with that roster off the bench while also being able to play with Curry, Klay, and Green creating and giving Curry an extra ball handler allowing him to play some more off ball even though he doesn't need much help. Maybe a 3rd team could get involved taking Rekes expiring deal.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-27-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Thread Information