Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paul George - What would it take?

Quote Originally Posted by LOLLakers View Post
    I am sure the Pacers would do an Anthony Davis for Paul George deal.

That's about it though. All our other players have zero trade value when it comes to superstar deals
    If we are picking in the top 10 I think the Pacers would definitely consider a pick from this draft and the next along with a player of their choice. If we can't land Simmons I would be open to trading the picks away for PG. it mite be the Pacers best way to be really good again by building through the draft. With the team they have now they won't get good draft picks but by moving PG they would most likely be picking high with their own pick along with a couple of 1st from us. That would be the only way I see them moving him and it would be a good deal for both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    If we are picking in the top 10 I think the Pacers would definitely consider a pick from this draft and the next along with a player of their choice. If we can't land Simmons I would be open to trading the picks away for PG. it mite be the Pacers best way to be really good again by building through the draft. With the team they have now they won't get good draft picks but by moving PG they would most likely be picking high with their own pick along with a couple of 1st from us. That would be the only way I see them moving him and it would be a good deal for both teams.
    They can't tank AND trade PG to us expecting a top 10 pick.

Think about it this way. If you were the Pacers, would you trade Paul George for Tyreke Evans and 2 unknowns? Be truthful. Would you do it?
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    It will take a max contract in the Summer of 2019.

That's what it will take to get Paul George.

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Think about it this way. If you were the Pacers, would you trade Paul George for Tyreke Evans and 2 unknowns? Be truthful. Would you do it?
    No. I like the idea of having a "talented 5" with one being transcendent, than to have that reduced to 2 or 3.

If this injury situation would just calm down I think the constant clamoring for trades would cease.

I really like Simmons as a prospect, but I'm trading the first pick for Paul George. He basically does everything you aspect Simmons to do now(expect the passing) and is a way way better shooter. I can see Simmons being a better player than George, but I could just as easily see George being the better player. I take the bird in hand if that's all it would cost us.

Quote Originally Posted by da ThRONe View Post
    I really like Simmons as a prospect, but I'm trading the first pick for Paul George. He basically does everything you aspect Simmons to do now(expect the passing) and is a way way better shooter. I can see Simmons being a better player than George, but I could just as easily see George being the better player. I take the bird in hand if that's all it would cost us.
    No way! I love PG and he is one of my favorite players being a near perfect fit for what we need with AD. Simmons is someone you just don't pass up on getting. If our pick is anywhere after 1 then I would go with PG trading multiple picks to have him but I would also trade a future 1st to move up from 2 if we could to grab Simmoms. The kid is special with a ceiling much higher then PG and to me you have to take that risk. I think he is as NBA ready as an player I have seen since Lebron and honestly I like him more then Lebron at the same time of their careers. To me what you are saying is like not draft Davis and go with Aldridge because he is proven. That's the same way I feel about Simmons and PG.

No way! I love PG and he is one of my favorite players being a near perfect fit for what we need with AD. Simmons is someone you just don't pass up on getting. If our pick is anywhere after 1 then I would go with PG trading multiple picks to have him but I would also trade a future 1st to move up from 2 if we could to grab Simmoms. The kid is special with a ceiling much higher then PG and to me you have to take that risk. I think he is as NBA ready as an player I have seen since Lebron and honestly I like him more then Lebron at the same time of their careers. To me what you are saying is like not draft Davis and go with Aldridge because he is proven. That's the same way I feel about Simmons and PG.
    I like Simmons a lot, but clearly not as much as you. He's IMO not close to the prospect LeBron was. He's more on par with Wiggins in my book. He has LeBron like intangibles which I love but he's not the physical specimen LeBron(or Wiggins for that matter) was at this age. You have to hope Simmons becomes a vastly improved jumpshooter or his value will take a significant hit in the league.

To be fair, couldn't people say the same thing about us replacing PG with AD?

Also, I love Simmons as a prospect but I think putting him ahead of LeBron is a little extreme. Don't forget how scary he was right off the bat. I agree that I wouldn't trade him for PG, but it's more because of the salary that comes with the two than the talent disparity. Paul George is a force in the NBA and is a legitimate star who, short of AD or the #1 pick (which we should all just accept now that we aren't getting) I would give the Pacers anything for. But to answer the original question, there is nothing that we would be willing to give up that the Pacers would accept.

I like Simmons a lot, but clearly not as much as you. He's IMO not close to the prospect LeBron was. He's more on par with Wiggins in my book. He has LeBron like intangibles which I love but he's not the physical specimen LeBron(or Wiggins for that matter) was at this age. You have to hope Simmons becomes a vastly improved jumpshooter or his value will take a significant hit in the league.
    Not the same physical specimen of Wiggins? You have to be kidding? He is 2" taller and 30-40 lbs heavier and more athletic. Simmons is on a different level the Wiggins was and its not even close. Only player that can be said as a better prospect is Lebron but Wiggins isn't even in the same conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nola3 View Post
    To be fair, couldn't people say the same thing about us replacing PG with AD?

Also, I love Simmons as a prospect but I think putting him ahead of LeBron is a little extreme. Don't forget how scary he was right off the bat. I agree that I wouldn't trade him for PG, but it's more because of the salary that comes with the two than the talent disparity. Paul George is a force in the NBA and is a legitimate star who, short of AD or the #1 pick (which we should all just accept now that we aren't getting) I would give the Pacers anything for. But to answer the original question, there is nothing that we would be willing to give up that the Pacers would accept.
    Yea I love PG and think he would be perfect with AD but his ceiling isn't what Simmons is. PG and AD are not in the same caliber of player. PG is right below the level AD is on but he isn't far away. I'm not saying Simmons is better than Lebron right now but whose to say he isn't? Lebron just had more hype then any player ever which was justified of course but Simmons has just as much talent. The kid is incredible and is doing things with the ball Lebron still can't do.

Not the same physical specimen of Wiggins? You have to be kidding? He is 2" taller and 30-40 lbs heavier and more athletic. Simmons is on a different level the Wiggins was and its not even close. Only player that can be said as a better prospect is Lebron but Wiggins isn't even in the same conversation.
    Have you ever seen Wiggins like ever? He is probably the best pure athlete in the NBA right now. If you think Simmons is a better athlete than Wiggins there's nothing else to talk about on this subject.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Sorry, Guardian, but this one isn't close. Wiggins is an insane athlete. Simmons gets points for being a great athlete who is much, much bigger than Wiggins, but I'm almost positive Wiggins has like a 45" vert or something insane. He flies above the rim.

Have you ever seen Wiggins like ever? He is probably the best pure athlete in the NBA right now. If you think Simmons is a better athlete than Wiggins there's nothing else to talk about on this subject.
    Andrew Wiggins is not near the physical specimen as Ben Simmons is. Wiggins had a vertical of 44 inches at 6'8 197 lbs. Simmons had a vertical of 41.5 inches at 6'10 240 lbs. Wiggins also posted that after his freshman season while Simmons did this before starting college. Wiggins doesn't compare to the physical specimen that Simmons is. Simmons is bigger, stronger, faster, and if not more explosive jumping it's a wash but with 40lbs I give the nod to Simmons. Wiggins also does not have a skill set on the same level as Simmons. He is not a passer being a good one at best while Simmons is an elite passer looking like possibly one of the best. Wiggins is a good rebounder while Simmons is an elite rebounder. Simmons is better around the hoop but not by much. They both did not have a great shot at the time and that's really the only thing to be compared. Simmons skill set and in terms of a physical specimen is on a different level then Wiggins. Not taking anything away from Wiggins but he isn't on the same level physically or skill set wise. I have seen plenty of Wiggins and being 40 lbs lighter and 2" shorter while only being separated in vertical by 2" with Simmons also being the faster player in 3/4 sprint I don't see how Wiggins is more of a physical specimen. He definitely doesn't have a skill set comparable to Wiggins. So I don't think there is anything else to talk about on the subject of you think Wiggins is the better athlete.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-24-2015 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Sorry, Guardian, but this one isn't close. Wiggins is an insane athlete. Simmons gets points for being a great athlete who is much, much bigger than Wiggins, but I'm almost positive Wiggins has like a 45" vert or something insane. He flies above the rim.
    He has a vertical of 44" and it was from a picture with no actual recording. Simmons posted a 41.5" vertical at 240 before his freshman season while Wiggins was after. I don't see how he can be considered a more of a physical specimen when speedster by 2" while one guys is 197 lbs and the other is 239 lbs.

Simmons is averaging 18ppg 12rebs and 5 asts.
    Wiggins averaged 17ppg 6rebs and 1.5asts.

That's not including the ridiculous game Simmoms had tonight either. Their skill sets don't compare. You can make a case for athletic ability but I don't see how when 2" are what separates the two of them while 40 lbs also separates them and Simmons is faster down the court. Much higher basketball IQ and like I said the skill sets don't compare when Simmons is better in every aspect of the game. This is not a knock to Wiggins at all it just shows how impressive Simmons is.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    We probably won't be getting Simmons. Let's say we get the 10th pick of the draft... This is how I see it working out, basically it's not gonna happen but here it is:

Send 2015 AND 2016 first rounders plus Ryan Anderson and Gordon... Sign and trade? I don't know the rules like most of yall do so bear with me...

Paul George would be very valuable for this team. I'm saying there is basically no way to get him unless we trade AD. So, it's not happening unless Demps is a genius and finds a way.

You cannot trade consecutive draft picks during the season. on the draft day - yes (see Jrue trade)

If You will offer now - 2016 and 2018 picks plus Ryno, EJ for PG and filler/trash - they may at least consider it.
    I am not sure if I will. it is too much for me...
    Last edited by pawel; 11-24-2015 at 02:29 AM.

That's not including the ridiculous game Simmoms had tonight either. Their skill sets don't compare. You can make a case for athletic ability but I don't see how when 2" are what separates the two of them while 40 lbs also separates them and Simmons is faster down the court. Much higher basketball IQ and like I said the skill sets don't compare when Simmons is better in every aspect of the game. This is not a knock to Wiggins at all it just shows how impressive Simmons is.
    Averaging that against the likes of kennesaw state (?), south alabama and managed to lose against a mediocre 1-2 marquette team. Still has no perimeter shooting to speak of, still lacks length and that cannot change, still not particularly tough especially to play as a 4.

I'm a great admirer of simmons but i'd take george every day of the week and 100 times over during the playoffs. Also, there is more to athleticism than vert numbers (incredible as that may sound) and to say that simmons is a better prospect than james was (or even a better player at the same age) is mental. Like, seriously.

I love Simmons too, but I wouldn't compare his college numbers with Wiggins just yet. We are 4 games into this current season, so you can't read too much into those numbers. Also, take into account that Wiggins played with Joel Embiid, who was a top 3 draft pick based off of production more than prospect. So Wiggins numbers won't look amazing in the big picture.

That said, our season is still young, and we can turn things around, but then again, we could suffer more injuries and tank.

I think of the pedistool we have Simmons on and how people want to compare him to a generational talent, but people did the same things to Wiggins, Parker, Exum, and countless others. Sure right now in college they might look the part of some generational guy, but they still haven't proved it on the highest of all levels. For that I would trade for an established guy such as DMC or PG13.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 11-24-2015 at 08:28 AM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar

You are on the same page as me when it comes to everything else. Simmons has way more skill, which is more important in the NBA.

But Wiggins is a different kind of athlete. And that isn't Simmon's fault. More explosive off the ground. Mainly because he weighs a lot less. Simmons gets up too. But Wiggins is a better pure athlete, if it was about size coming into play, then Pierre Jackson is a better athlete than either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
    Averaging that against the likes of kennesaw state (?), south alabama and managed to lose against a mediocre 1-2 marquette team. Still has no perimeter shooting to speak of, still lacks length and that cannot change, still not particularly tough especially to play as a 4.

I'm a great admirer of simmons but i'd take george every day of the week and 100 times over during the playoffs. Also, there is more to athleticism than vert numbers (incredible as that may sound) and to say that simmons is a better prospect than james was (or even a better player at the same age) is mental. Like, seriously.
    Paul George was not the Paul George of today when he was in college. Wasn't nearly the shooter he is now. Hell, he was 3 whole inches shorter to boot before a quick growth spurt between his first and second season or so.

And about the loss to a mediocre 1-2 team? Doesn't matter then. Because if we won, we would've just beaten a 1-2 mediocre team. Truth is his level of skill and talent is such that he's transformed LSU's whole trajectory. The team doesn't even look like it did last year. That's what gets people talking LeBron or Magic. He has that something else that makes people great. It's clear in just 3 games.

A lack of a perimeter game is meaningless, anyone can become a better shooter when the NCAA doesn't mandate practice time and you aren't a student. Lacks length? He has a 9' standing reach. That's the same as Anthony Davis did at the combine.

I mean, he's got a body type similar to Blake Griffin and some of the same athleticism, LeBron like open court speed and vision...

If you stop there, you've got a seriously elite player. But what gets me even more amped is that he gets on the boards and that lateral quickness to switch off anyone.
    Last edited by Eman5805; 11-24-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Again Simmons is more skilled than Wiggins I don't know too many people who would argue against that. However Wiggins lateral quickness, and second jump is probably the best I've ever seen personally. Dude is an athletic monster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post

Lacks length?! What? He has a 7'+ wingspan and 9' standing reach at 19! He could easily keep growing like PG and AD did. Lacking of toughness for the 4 does not matter because he won't play the 4 in the NBA. Bringing down double digit rebounds is not lacking toughness. I don't see how you can judge a 19 year old kid for his toughness anyway. It must be the same way people judge Duncan, AD, and many others who don't act like Westbrook and Lebron make a lay up and go nuts. I have watched every minute of his games and toughness is not something you can point on the kid lacks. His length is incredible so I don't see where that comes from. He lacks a perimeter shot but PG didn't have a great one either when he first came to the NBA. I love PG but he worked his tail off to get his game where it is. PG wasn't near the player when they were same age or even in his 1st couple of seasons. He had no perimeter shot before the NBA but was a special athlete. He lost to a bad team but it definitely wasn't his fault if you watched the game. Never said he was a better prospect then James. I said he is a better passer and is as NBA ready over any player since Lebron. I said I like him more at this time in their careers to me he is that special where you can consider him up there. I don't see how hats crazy to say about someone like Lebron is untouchable. Simmons is that good to be considered that type of talent.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-24-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    You are on the same page as me when it comes to everything else. Simmons has way more skill, which is more important in the NBA.

But Wiggins is a different kind of athlete. And that isn't Simmon's fault. More explosive off the ground. Mainly because he weighs a lot less. Simmons gets up too. But Wiggins is a better pure athlete, if it was about size coming into play, then Pierre Jackson is a better athlete than either of.
    If it was about size coming into play then Simmons is he better athlete then Wiggins being 40 lbs heavier. If it wasn't about size then yea Pierre Jackson is a better athlete then Wiggins. I think you absolutely have to put size into the equation and with Simmons being 40 lbs heavier with a very of just 2" shorter while also being faster I don't see how Wiggins is some clear better athlete. Then people saying Wiggins has more lateral quickness well I would hope so. One guy is 40 lbs because and 2" taller that is a huge huge difference.

LMFAO at anyone thinking that Ryan Anderson and Eric Gordon are pieces the Pacers would be interested in if they were to trade Paul George.

The sheer stupidity and homerism that team specific forums have is mindboggling

Thread Information