Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ish Smith? More like...

poor man's rondo!

He is worth more than that contract he is playing on. Much more.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

thats for sure

Quote Originally Posted by HornetGuru View Post
    thats for sure
    You know what else is for sure? He is making guards on this team expendable.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Wellllll....... idk, it's gonna take more time than that. There are flashes in the pan all the time, give me the proven guy. Look at jeremy lin.

I'm happy with Ish. Too soon to starting any comments about what or who he replaces but I like the guy.

He was put in a hard spot and has done well.

One of Dell's brighter moves. I was that started the MVP chant at him in the arena tonight.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He has more than exceeded expectations of late.

thanks God 76ers didn't signed him before the season started (when he was cut by Wizz)

More like Will Dish

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    More like Will Dish
    I vote for Ish Sticks but that's just Me

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicantoo View Post
    I vote for Ish Sticks but that's just Me
    How bout Swift Dish

How bout Swift Dish
    I think we can go with the elegant, understated D'ish Smith

Serious question, does anyone else think he looks like Reggie Wright from all about the Benjamin's? Every time he cracks a smile I see Epps out there balling.

I would link but at work I can't. Google "Mike Epps lotto" and you'll see it

The Voice of Reason Contributor RaisingTheBar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Like Cole?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Like Cole?
    Jimmer

He's obviously played well the last couple of days, but can he sustain it? He's had many shots in the league and this is the best he's played. Has he just grown as a player that much, or is he playing over his head right now? I'd hate to go "all in" with him and then have him revert to what he looked like coming in. I think he's an end of the bench keeper at this point if everyone's healthy, but I wouldn't be looking to dump Cole unless someone gave us more than he's worth.

Jimmer
    Jimmer is already back in the dleague.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingTheBar View Post
    Like Cole?
    Ish is on a very friendly contract, so that right there makes him an attractive trade piece, but I would keep him over Cole as Ish is the only player on the team (next to Reke) who can get to the rim at will. Cole is pulling in 3 times as much as Ish, so if you could swap that out for a something better, or for a draft pick, why not. When talking about Ish and Cole you aren't talking about Allen Iverson and John Stockton. Stick with the cheaper of the two. We are just talking about 18 min (at most) a game here.

Ish is great and I'm glad he is finally able to show what I already know. I still wonder if he is more of a regular season guy. IT for the celtics didn't do as well in the post season as the regular. Small guys can have issues sometimes. So while I'm happy he is doing well I hope someone steps up so he doesn't have to be the guy.

Playoffs is totally different ball game. Only way Ish touches the floor in a playoff game is if 2-3 guys ahead of him are injured or it's a blowout.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    He's obviously played well the last couple of days, but can he sustain it? He's had many shots in the league and this is the best he's played. Has he just grown as a player that much, or is he playing over his head right now? I'd hate to go "all in" with him and then have him revert to what he looked like coming in. I think he's an end of the bench keeper at this point if everyone's healthy, but I wouldn't be looking to dump Cole unless someone gave us more than he's worth.
    I wouldn't be worried about him playing for 9 different teams prior to this one. Some guys bounce around a lot (Stephen Jackson, Joe Smith, Hassan Whiteside, Ike Austin, etc.), the fact that he has bounced around a lot, but has always stayed in the NBA shows that people have believed in him, he just never jives with their systems. 76er and Thunder fans are curious as to why their respective teams didn't keep him.

So he is here now, a fast guard playing in an fast paced, guard friendly system. Seems like a match made in heaven for him. He has how some very good games, and he has had some head scratching games, but his better games have outweighed his head scratchers, and his very impressive games outweigh his dud games (that first GS game for example was great for him, and he had only been here less than 72 hours).

The good thing in all of this is he will have a few more games logging major mins., so we will be able to see how he does as our roster stays healthy. That is probably the biggest head scratcher for me when it comes to his critics. Sure he has had bad games, but in those bad games there was no Jrue, no AD, no Asik. He was getting the ball to Ryno and EG, but it seems like people expected him to do more with the talent on the court when they (his critics) were claiming that the players on the court were no better than d-league. He isn't CP3, so people's expectations were crazy. He did the best in the situation handed to him.

But let's see where he takes us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
    Ish is great and I'm glad he is finally able to show what I already know. I still wonder if he is more of a regular season guy. IT for the celtics didn't do as well in the post season as the regular. Small guys can have issues sometimes. So while I'm happy he is doing well I hope someone steps up so he doesn't have to be the guy.
    That was his first foray into the playoffs though, and he was playing for the Celtics. Are you surprised he had a bad series? And was it really that bad a series? He was guarded by Kyrie Irving and the Cavs.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    So if Ish "Sticks" we can trade Cole's expiring?

I love what he has been able to do with this team. There was a time last night were I was upset we were bringing Jrue back into the game instead of leaving Ish in the game because he looked way better last night. (4th quarter some time) BUT I honestly think he will be an afterthought once Reke is healthy. He basically does what Ish has been doing, but way more. Also, hes 6'6" and can actually guard someone. And every other guard is a way better fit because they can shoot. Like I said, I love what he has been able to do lately, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. He is what he is and he will be a nice end of the bench guy if anyone does.... Im not even gunna say it.

Thread Information