Pelicans Report

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ben Simmons

Even if we don't land Ben, we'll get a difference maker with a top 6 pick. The general consensus top 5 players are 3 SF's(Simmons, Ingram, Brown) and two C's(Skal and Dragan). These have been our two biggest weaknesses for awhile now.

Then you have the elite scoring combo guard Jamal Murray. I'd love to add any of them to this team. This should be a good draft class.

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    You should be a salesman.

Seriously, the dude is unlike anything I've ever seen in college. He's gotta be the closest thing to Lebron, to come out of college, in my lifetime. I can see the Magic Johnson comparisons as well with his size and passing ability. I've never been so sold on a prospect, so early on in the process. I'm on the tank train. I want Simmons to be a Pelican.
    Haha that's hilarious because I get told by my friends and family all the time I could sell anything. The two family businesses I am in and run do involve sales in a way just not the pushy type. One company the product mostly speaks for itself while the other involves a little informing on why they should buy it. One of my 1st jobs was for Cutco the knife company and I sold more in one month then anyone in the history of the company. Actually only worked for 25 days then I quit because I was young getting motivational phone calls at 5:30am to get up and go sell while also them wanting to promote me to run an office for them in Mississippi. Definitely wasn't ready and or really interested to teach kids Cutcos sales tactics that I didn't even use. Got rid of $28,000 which is still #1 to this day haha.

Anyways yea I agree with everything you said. I'm more sold on him the any prospect that I have ever seen. He really is an incredible and very special player. Tough to call many players Lebrons size a better passer but this kid is much smoother and to me will be every bit as good or better. He allows you to not have to have a great passing PG where I think Jrue would be a perfect 3rd wheel if the shin problems go away.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-20-2015 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    Like AD's greatest attribute is his hands, and that will take him to the top? Simmons has amazing lateral quickness and coordination. That could take him even further than AD defensively because Simmons can switch onto anyone. AD can switch because he's a very good athlete with amazing length. Simmons is an amazing athlete with good length.

The world couldn't handle Simmons and AD on one team. Which is why it probably won't happen unless AD misses several months this season.

And with Simmons skill with the basketball, getting a decent jumpshot is merely a matter of time and training.
    Ben has already improved his free throw shooting since High School, the jump shot will come. Dude is a beast just hope the Sixers don't get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans_fan_504 View Post
    Ben has already improved his free throw shooting since High School, the jump shot will come. Dude is a beast just hope the Sixers don't get him.
    They got a great chance at two picks in the top 5.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    Man, Simmons has another gear on top of everything else? Man oh man.

This kid is incredible. I have never seen someone like him. He is a better passer than Lebron looking just like Magic with the ball. Man whoever gets this kid instantly changes the fortune of their franchise.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    This kid is incredible. I have never seen someone like him. He is a better passer than Lebron looking just like Magic with the ball. Man whoever gets this kid instantly changes the fortune of their franchise.
    I'm not exactly sure how to put this, but his extraordinary skills for a big man sometimes lead him to be a little too unselfish....does that make any sense?
    "we might make dollars, but we don't necessarily make sense"

"always be sincere....whether you mean it or not"

Quote Originally Posted by ramsters60 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how to put this, but his extraordinary skills for a big man sometimes lead him to be a little too unselfish....does that make any sense?
    You talking about Simmons? If so I think he has been way to unselfish which has bothered me a little bit. He is unstoppable when attacking the rim but seems like he wants to have everyone involved being the ultimate team player. He isn't a big man but I guess with his size he could be considered one. He's 6'10 240lbs which is plent big enough to be a PF in the NBA that's the scary thing. He is basically the teams PG playing Point Forward so his job is to get people involved with the PG Gray they have being more of scorer. I do think at times he needs to get himself more involved but I like the unselfishness he has and shows a lot to his character. He is only 19 so with time I see him being similar to Lebron getting his team involved while attacking plenty. Lebron is a great passer but Simmons to me has a better and prettier passing skill set. He has that Curry style of passing with flair while Lebron doesn't really have that. He has the potential to be better then Lebron at passing and at this age I think he looks better than Lebron did. Can't say that for many players of any ever.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    He is going to have the exact same criticims as LeBron. I mean, he goes and makes an incredible play on one moment, the other he quickly passes to a teammate that was afraid to take the shot.

It's a good "flaw" because it's not even a flaw.

Curse his awesomeness! For I fear he will never be ours!

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    He is going to have the exact same criticims as LeBron. I mean, he goes and makes an incredible play on one moment, the other he quickly passes to a teammate that was afraid to take the shot.

It's a good "flaw" because it's not even a flaw.

Curse his awesomeness! For I fear he will never be ours!
    Yea I definitely agree with that. I do think he should have taken that shot when driving to the hoop instead of kicking it out. They were down by 1 and he just needed to get fouled which I think he would have if no made the shot. He's young though and will learn from things like this.

Band of Skulls & Neon Trees ramsters60's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Yea I definitely agree with that. I do think he should have taken that shot when driving to the hoop instead of kicking it out. They were down by 1 and he just needed to get fouled which I think he would have if no made the shot. He's young though and will learn from things like this.
    get 1000 "do overs" on the last 10 seconds of the Marquette game, and you should never see that exact same sequence again.... such is life though, huh?

Not Ben Simmons related, but I hate that Johnny Jones didn't use his last timeout there. It's a pattern with him going back to last season.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHornet View Post
    Not Ben Simmons related, but I hate that Johnny Jones didn't use his last timeout there. It's a pattern with him going back to last season.
    Man keep this mess on the Tiger rant, we have enough coach bashing on here just with the Pels.

I was at the game tonight and I totally agree with the unselfish statement. Since it's the beginning of the season I think he wants to be a good teammate and not want to hog the ball. For example, he should have never passed the ball in those last 10 seconds, he should have taken over like he was able to do earlier in the game. The kid is something else though, it was a pleasure to watch him live
    Welcome to be here

Was LeBron an amazing passer in High School?

Andrew Wiggins is not near the physical specimen as Ben Simmons is. Wiggins had a vertical of 44 inches at 6'8 197 lbs. Simmons had a vertical of 41.5 inches at 6'10 240 lbs. Wiggins also posted that after his freshman season while Simmons did this before starting college. Wiggins doesn't compare to the physical specimen that Simmons is. Wiggins also does not have a skill set on the same level as Simmons. He is not a passer being a good one at best while Simmons is an elite passer looking like possibly one of the best. Wiggins is a good rebounder while Simmons is an elite rebounder. Simmons is better around the hoop but not by much. They both did not have a great shot at the time and that's really the only thing to be compared. Simmons skill set and in terms of a physical specimen is on a different level then Wiggins. Not taking anything away from Wiggins but he isn't on the same level physically or skill set wise.

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    This kid plays like MyPlayer in 2k.

Pass-first Point Center lol!

Last edited by Caffeinedisastr; 11-24-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Game on! Suck for Simmons.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    Game on! Suck for Simmons.
    How dare you bump this thread. I guess I'll have to ignore you. Hehe. Lol

I mean the long term planning side of my brain still wants to tank because ultimately we aren't constructed to win a championship with this core in the window we have with them and I think it is unrealistic to think a team not making championships is going to nab a highly sought after franchise changing FA.

However the me-first part just wants us to get healthy and make a playoff push.

Help us Ben Kenobi Simmons, you're our only hope

Guess who's new ping pong ball just showed up in a nice varnished cherry oak box?

Well looks like LSU not going to pay Les 15 Mil to sit in a TV studio or sofa. Kind of off topic just thought I would share.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! pelicanchamp's Avatar
    If we can't land Simmons I like this SF a lot. Who's with me?

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jaylen-brown

Thread Information