Pelicans Report

Thread: Harrison Barnes

Pelicans Harrison Barnes

I have said this for a while now that Harrison Barnes would be huge for this team. If we can't land Durant which I'm sure we will find out early on in the process from his camp if we are one of the top teams he is considering then Barnes needs to be our next priority. He is exactly what we need at SF while being young enough that he is only going to improve and get better. Barnes checks off a lot of boxes in what we need from our 3. He is a great defender who continually guards players like Lebron, Durant, and Melo with Iggy getting most of the credit as of late but Barnes was that guy all last season on D. Has a 3 point shot as good as any SF in the league along with a decent mid ranger and solid post game. He has elite athleticism, strength, and explosiveness that rivals any 3 in the NBA with hops to jump out the gym. Has always had good basketball IQ that has improved ever year of his career showing he can be a good passer who can create decently. Perfect player to pick up and let grow with AD and this team helping us build a solid core around Davis. He can also play the 4 very well if we decide to go small ball with Davis at the 5.

I remember Barnes speaking highly of Gentry basically crediting him for a lot of his improvement showing they have a good relationship that would have to put us as front runners for his services. I'm sure the Warriors would love to have him back but they just simply can't afford him or go to the price we can take it to need be. I think Barnes would love to come here having a bigger role and reuniting with a familiar face in Gentry being a part of something special. I would have to think when FA starts we are #2 on his list behind the Warriors until the $ comes into play I don't see any situation for him being better than us.

Agreed, i've been beating the Barnes bandwagon drum for awhile. If we can't land durant, u have the money to go after both Barnes and another decent player, like Courtney Lee or Evan Fournier.
    Last edited by HornetGuru; 11-05-2015 at 01:00 AM.

Meh. I believe he is one the "system makes him better" guys.
    CAW CAW!!!

-Founder and valuable member of the Caw Caw Boyz-

He's also a RFA so good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Kibner View Post
    He's also a RFA so good luck!
    No way Golden St. can sign him for what we can so they are the ones that need the luck. Barnes would make a big impact on this team and with the improvement he has steadily made each season he should only be better next year. I'm all on the Durant train but if he isn't an option Barnes is a very good one and some that will help us start building the core around Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    No way Golden St. can sign him for what we can so they are the ones that need the luck. Barnes would make a big impact on this team and with the improvement he has steadily made each season he should only be better next year. I'm all on the Durant train but if he isn't an option Barnes is a very good one and some that will help us start building the core around Davis.
    They absolutely can. You can go over every single kind of cap to sign your own RFA, iirc. It is just up to the owner if he feels like paying that much.

Guess we don't want Durant? Barnes going to have a heavy price tag. We have to pay Eric Gordon someday too.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    We have to pay Eric Gordon someday too.
    we do not have to pay EJ anything...
    we may prepeare 4 him a new contract. but first we will see how he will play this season (as well as the rest of the team)

assuming new salary cap he will want about the same contract as he earns now (so: no, thank You).

I am surprised how Barnes is playing. He will receive the Middleton-type max...

Quote Originally Posted by 4Real View Post
    Guess we don't want Durant? Barnes going to have a heavy price tag. We have to pay Eric Gordon someday too.
    Haha did you bother to read anything? Durant was mentioned in the very beginning as the primary option we need to be all in for. Durant is not someone that you will be chasing all FA with us finding out very early on in the process if we even have a shot and if we do continue to pursue if not move on and get Barnes. I would like to resign Gordon but if you think he is someone we sign instead of Barnes you are crazy. Not a cap genius but I'm pretty sure we will be able to afford Gordon along with Barnes since he is already on our team.

Two scenarios I see with Barnes.

1.) He underperforms this season and becomes a bit of a gamble but gets slightly overpaid thanks to the GS luster.

2.)He meets or exceeds projections of player growth and he gets a max thrown at him and GS either maxes or lets him walk(they have already made it clear they probably let him walk)

He is going to get overpaid either a little or a lot.....Or, the unlikely third scenario, he is going to develop into a true max quality player and we are in a persuasion war with other teams to accept our max and hoping GS doesnt change their mind and match.

The only way I would really want to chase him is if he just blows up this season and passes all the eye tests and analytics of the experts so we have more comfort we aren't just getting a player being given a false sense of greatness because of his spot on a great team.

I would love to have him as our SF but cost and opportunity cost really matter here.

Quote Originally Posted by pawel View Post
    we do not have to pay EJ anything...
    we may prepeare 4 him a new contract. but first we will see how he will play this season (as well as the rest of the team)

assuming new salary cap he will want about the same contract as he earns now (so: no, thank You).

I am surprised how Barnes is playing. He will receive the Middleton-type max...
    I agree we have a whole season to see if Gordon will be with resigning. He is going to have to show me a lot for us to pursue him again even though I'm a supporter.

Barnes has not surprised me one bit since seeing him continually improve each year being exactly what you want out of someone. He reminds me of Jimmy Butler in a way steadily improving while doing multiple things ready for a bigger role and when given a bigger role will put up bigger #s. We don't need him to be a 20 ppg scorer here especially with everything else he brings to the table. Having Barnes play a bigger role here while improving another year he could easily average 16-18 ppg while bringing elite rebounding and someone who can lock down teams opposing best wing player. We would be sitting very pretty with our depth having QPon back up Barnes at the 3 along with the 2 and if we lose Gordon maybe even starting at the 2 for a season until we find our guy. I think he would instantly give us a huge improvement making us as a whole just a much better team top to bottom.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-05-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Two scenarios I see with Barnes.

1.) He underperforms this season and becomes a bit of a gamble but gets slightly overpaid thanks to the GS luster.

2.)He meets or exceeds projections of player growth and he gets a max thrown at him and GS either maxes or lets him walk(they have already made it clear they probably let him walk)

He is going to get overpaid either a little or a lot.....Or, the unlikely third scenario, he is going to develop into a true max quality player and we are in a persuasion war with other teams to accept our max and hoping GS doesnt change their mind and match.

The only way I would really want to chase him is if he just blows up this season and passes all the eye tests and analytics of the experts so we have more comfort we aren't just getting a player being given a false sense of greatness because of his spot on a great team.

I would love to have him as our SF but cost and opportunity cost really matter here.

Yea I agree in a way but when you watch him it's clear in a bigger role he would explode. I think he would be in a better situation here being teamed up with someone like Davis instead of Curry of not a very close one. GS is stacked as a team but I don't necessarily see that as why Barnes plays great. He gets the toughest defensive assignment every game and continually hits big shots at a high %. He does multiple things in almost every category that makes him a complete player which would help anyone. With Holiday and Tyreke we still have guys very capable of getting him the ball in his spots while Davis takes a lot of pressure leaving him open in the corners for the 3. To me he just needs to play consistently all season while showing at times he can be the guy and step up when needed like he did last night. I don't necessarily want him playing some major role different then what he does now but an extra 6 minutes a game with some more shots obviously from the minutes along with less shooters than GS has his game can jump big time similar to Butler being held back by Deng.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-05-2015 at 05:48 PM.

Watching the Warriors and Barnes is playing like a beast! He has improved a lot just from last season and I like what I saw then. Like I said if we are out of the running for Durant then Barnes needs to be plan B. Has the potential to be a top 5 SF in the next couple of years especially if he improves going into next season. If we sign him playing around 34 minutes a game he would put up some pretty solid #s while doing a lot of things the stat sheet doesn't show. Our depth and talent would take a huge jump just adding him to this roster. Just say we bring Gordon back while signing Barnes we would be sitting very pretty.
    PG-Jrue/Cole SG-Gordon/Evans SF-Barnes/Q-Pon would be one hell of a group.

Been watching the Warriors on NBA League Pass every game and right now they are just unstoppable being scary good. If they stay healthy I don't see anyway they don't win the NBA championship while challenging the Bulls 72 win record.
    Last edited by GuardianAngel25; 11-06-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Say we don't get Simmons but still have a chance to get a draft pick in the lottery we can really create a roster to take this team to the next level and for a long time. If Durant and Simmons don't happen Barnes really needs to be a huge priority for us. He would instantly give us a SF that checks off so many boxes for what we need while even being able to play PF in small ball lineups. If we get Barnes then I would want either a stud Center or Shooting Guard in the draft. Having a combination of Barnes and a lottery pick really is something that could instantly give this franchise a major boost in the right direction. It mite take a couple of years before we reach our full potential but it would be something that could be sustained and great for the next decade. If we let Gordon walk I would have no problem with QPon starting at SG but ideally having him back up Barnes at SF and the SG position would be great for this team. Harrison Barnes is the next Jimmy Butler I'm calling it. He has a very similar skill set and style while making a near identical progress in his game except he hadn't been able to get a bigger role because of the team he has been on while Butler is basically option A. Barnes mite not be as good but he has the potential to be just as good if not better whole being close right now. I don't think the Warriors can afford him and if not we have the best shot at getting him if we want him.

A Soulful Sports Fan Contributor Eman5805's Avatar
    It's so weird. I just can't feel it with Barnes. I should. He's just 23 and has a very good skill set but...I dunno. Something about him underwhelms me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
    It's so weird. I just can't feel it with Barnes. I should. He's just 23 and has a very good skill set but...I dunno. Something about him underwhelms me.
    I think he could be a very solid, third piece. I'd be all about it at the right price, but I'm afraid someone will give him a max and I'm not that impressed yet. I don't see him getting on Jimmy Butler's level.

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel25 View Post
    Say we don't get Simmons but still have a chance to get a draft pick in the lottery we can really create a roster to take this team to the next level and for a long time. If Durant and Simmons don't happen Barnes really needs to be a huge priority for us. He would instantly give us a SF that checks off so many boxes for what we need while even being able to play PF in small ball lineups. If we get Barnes then I would want either a stud Center or Shooting Guard in the draft. Having a combination of Barnes and a lottery pick really is something that could instantly give this franchise a major boost in the right direction. It mite take a couple of years before we reach our full potential but it would be something that could be sustained and great for the next decade. If we let Gordon walk I would have no problem with QPon starting at SG but ideally having him back up Barnes at SF and the SG position would be great for this team. Harrison Barnes is the next Jimmy Butler I'm calling it. He has a very similar skill set and style while making a near identical progress in his game except he hadn't been able to get a bigger role because of the team he has been on while Butler is basically option A. Barnes mite not be as good but he has the potential to be just as good if not better whole being close right now. I don't think the Warriors can afford him and if not we have the best shot at getting him if we want him.
    Barnes had a good night tonight. They were challenged by the Bulls and needed his points. He often defers there.

I agree, Barnes would be a great signing; a great SG signing.

Imagine

Barnes and ?

of course ben simmons would be nice; but what others would fit well with him, Jaylon Brown?

Quote Originally Posted by RUFshreve View Post
    I think he could be a very solid, third piece. I'd be all about it at the right price, but I'm afraid someone will give him a max and I'm not that impressed yet. I don't see him getting on Jimmy Butler's level.
    agreed, he'll never set the world on fire IMO, i really like his game, and would be a perfect fit for us at the 3 that we've needed for years. Super athletic, great 3, defense, rebounding. I'd love to have him, but don't want to over pay. If i could get batum for 5 million less a year i'd rather go that route.

Only way the Warriors lose Barnes is if they get Durant. So... I kinda hope they keep Barnes
    @mcnamara247

watching him vs the lakers, he is a very strong rebounder, his jumper is perfect, and with his combination of strength, athleticism, and length he is a darn good defender. Perfect piece for us. I would be surprised if we didn't make an offer.

Thread Information