Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 14th and 15th Spots - Who Makes the Final Cut?

I really think contracts will come in to play big time here. Guys whose contracts don't guarantee until Jan 10 will have some value after December 15th and Dell is always thinking a few steps ahead
    @mcnamara247

Can't we just use the eye test as a recognised metric?

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Can't we just use the eye test as a recognised metric?
    Your eyes are biased. A good evaluation should be a combination of: eye test, statistics, and observations from impartial people who know what they are looking for/at.

Anybody who evaluates using just one of those things is bound to be wrong more than right IMO. Should always be a combination

I'd like to see Jeff Adrien and Dejean-Jones make the team. And then we can see what we have with Dejean-Jones until January and go from there.
    Side-note: This reminds me how useful owning our own D-League team would be. Hopefully that happens sooner than later.

D-League team is coming, but I still dont think it makes a huge difference. I mean, how many teams have developed a player through their own D-League team and had him make a contribution much larger than an average replacement level player would?

Sure, it would be great to put a guy like Jones on our own D-League team and work with him. But what are the odds he really becomes anything, regardless of how much time we put into him? Is he likely to become better than some of the guys who signed for the minimum this summer? Odds say probably not

Not expecting it to be a huge difference maker. It would just be nice to have. A luxury.

Oh, I agree. No downside. It just would be low on my priority list. I would spend more time and money on the arena, locker room, etc. Anything that makes my organization look like a top notch one to players around the league, including the ones already in my locker room

The Franchise
    Odds and article seems spot on, except the ANBL league comparison. The league isn't that bad (Dad's softball league), a few of it's stars have made 14th/15th rotation spots and a number of its stars have found success in the D League. Not saying the D League is a great league, but I would say it is on par with this league.

The area where Webster will struggle is that he is more of a Tyreke Evans quality player (not in terms of play, just if you were ranking players) rather then an out an out star of the league, so I find 50 to 1 fair odds - just the league itself isn't a shocking league.

I mean the league has had 80 players play in the NBA over its time.

I was referring to his college career also. Just overall, the level of competition he has played against is a night and day difference from NBA. And it's not like he is an unstoppable force over there, nor was he in college. Hard to imagine him being an NBA player

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I mean, he can do it. Just like Tyreke can shoot from deep, but it is not what he does best on that end. He gets a post up opportunity about once every 15 mins he is on the court since being here
    I think Ajinca should be considered a low post scorer. He excelled when he had a chance to score in the low post. Why should Monty's play calling determine if Ajinca has the skills to be a low post scorer? Otherwise it was an excellent article.

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA_Dave View Post
    I think Ajinca should be considered a low post scorer. He excelled when he had a chance to score in the low post. Why should Monty's play calling determine if Ajinca has the skills to be a low post scorer? Otherwise it was an excellent article.
    If he posts up more, and is just as successful, then he will start seeing double teams. Do we know if he has the handles, footwork, passing, and vision to avoid turning the ball over in that situation? There could be legit reasons why he wasn't asked to post up more since being here.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    Your eyes are biased. A good evaluation should be a combination of: eye test, statistics, and observations from impartial people who know what they are looking for/at.

Anybody who evaluates using just one of those things is bound to be wrong more than right IMO. Should always be a combination
    What I meant to say was cant we use the eye test as a recocgnised metric as well as the other more 'legit' ones.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 14th and 15th spots are taken by players that aren't in camp. Somebody is gonna get cut out there that we can pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the 14th and 15th spots are taken by players that aren't in camp. Somebody is gonna get cut out there that we can pick up.
    Withey had a nice preseason game. In a way I hope he doesn't make the Jazz squad and we sign him at least to a ten day while Ajinca recovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure we sign Webster and adrien
    Adrien seems like a good defensive presence and a good hustle guy,
    Webster seems like a competent pg. to be honest, at the 15th spot, that's completely fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceWithDavis View Post
    Pretty sure we sign Webster and adrien
    Adrien seems like a good defensive presence and a good hustle guy,
    Webster seems like a competent pg. to be honest, at the 15th spot, that's completely fine.
    I doubt that it will be an "and". We may sign 1 person to the roster and if I had to guess it would be Webster due to the lack of pgs but who knows since we are including Tyreke in there we may sign Adrien or neither. I would think that Demps wants to keep flexibility so I don't see him filling up the roster unless it's a guy we can cut later on (January) with no commitment (There at least 2 players we can do this with but I don't remember right now).

Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotSniper View Post
    I doubt that it will be an "and". We may sign 1 person to the roster and if I had to guess it would be Webster due to the lack of pgs but who knows since we are including Tyreke in there we may sign Adrien or neither. I would think that Demps wants to keep flexibility so I don't see him filling up the roster unless it's a guy we can cut later on (January) with no commitment (There at least 2 players we can do this with but I don't remember right now).
    Jones, Webster and Kilpatrik

Far from a sure thing, but I have a sneaking suspicion CDR may make the final cut. I know it's not the smart bet, but I've always thought he's a little undervalued as an all around wing player.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ShotSniper View Post
    You are probably right. If someone is picked, Imo, it's Adrien, easily. But I want Webster to be picked, just because I find him to be the type of guy that one wants to pull for, you know what I mean?
    I know we have to be ruthless, but still.

This has become a moving target. Dell looks like he'll keep at it till the very last second. My vote today, realizing it may change tomorrow, is not signed yet Bo and also Begic

Webster will strengthen up the NBL which is good to see.

LUcky he won't be back in time to play against my Perth Wildcats tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Perth_Hornet View Post
    Webster will strengthen up the NBL which is good to see.

LUcky he won't be back in time to play against my Perth Wildcats tonight
    Tonight I think Adrien looked great! I am afraid that the progression of the injured players from the front court may push him out.. It's easy to see by the early signings that the Pels wanted to sure up backcourt depth but when the bigs got hurt it seemed like Adrien would make it.. Now it seems it will be all guards..

CDR looks bad.. If he makes the team it would be a shame..

Bo seems like he is in over his head..

SK was par for the course.

Dejean Jones was efficient scoring and can get to the rack, but turned the ball over a lot.

Nate looked good considering he is still getting back into the swing of things.

I think CDR will be cut and I'm afraid Bo will be also. The 14th spot is Nate's to lose. If the bigs continue to progress then Adrien will be gone.. 15th spot will come down to Sean and SK. whichever doesn't make it out of those two will prob go to D league and come back up and take Nate's spot when the guards are all healthy. At his age and the fact that he is more expensive once his deal becomes guaranteed makes it logic to cut him and gain more SG depth when at full strength. SK can be a guy to have at end of games or if you need points to get back into games. Jones is a lot like Evans in that he can get to the bucket but Gentry wants to see more d from both guys

My guess on the 2015/16 Roster:

Holiday/Cole/Robinson
    Gordon/Evans/Jones
    Q-Pon/Cunningham/Gee
    Davis/Anderson/Babbitt
    Asik/Ajinca/Perkins

Every line up has four 3 point shooters
    Last edited by AUSSIE_PELICAN; 10-20-2015 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    My guess on the 2015/16 Roster:

Holiday/Cole/Robinson
    Gordon/Evans/Jones
    Q-Pon/Cunningham/Gee
    Davis/Anderson/Babbitt
    Asik/Ajinca/Perkins

Every line up has four 3 point shooters
    I wouldn't call Davis , Cunningham, Evans and gee three point shooters , they can hit them but when it's their like 5th go to move I don't consider them as three point shooters

Also is jones certain for that final spot or will killlatrick win it over ?
    It's really nice to see the depth we have at the pg position , heck wasn't long ago when the depth chart was Vasquez and rivers , we've come a long way

Thread Information