Pelicans Report

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TP Lay-Offs... was Jimmy Smith 1?

The Franchise Contributor luigi modelo's Avatar
    He wasn't generating clicks. If he was generating clicks, then ANYONE can generate clicks. He will obviously generate clicks by default, considering that he was a Pelicans beat writer.

We are a niche group here. We read him because we want to read anything Pelicans. After i read his articles, i was embarrassed for him.

"there is no question he was biased in his work, and he was passing misinformation to the masses" ... and you are standing up for him?

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    "there is no question he was biased in his work, and he was passing misinformation to the masses" ... and you are standing up for him?

The man did his job of pushing print. If his job was to make it accurate, then his editor should have passed it back. But it was printed because it generated views. It doesn't matter if you as a reader are satisfied with what he said, or want to curse him for what he said, his job is to get your eyes on his articles, and from what you posted, he got your eyes on his work.

I could care less how he reported the Pelicans, and the TP didn't care either, they cared about their bottom line.

Just saying, don't pat yourself on the back for Jimmy being let go, it was about pushing NOLA.com, and bringing down costs.
    Last edited by UNO Gracias; 09-17-2015 at 11:11 PM.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

I'm old enough to remember when Smith got into it with the Saints a million years ago and got yanked from that beat (I vaguely recall it had something to do with a story blaming Coach Mora for Stan Brock getting a season-ending injury in practice, but that may be off). I'm of two minds about this. I thought Smith dished out some lazy hatchet pieces and passed it off as straight talk. But I worry about teams getting more and more control over the local coverage by denying access. I was talking recently to some of the tv guys who cover the Saints and getting on them about Payton dictating their coverage of injuries. They basically admitted that the coach gets so pissed about information getting out about injuries, they don't push the issue. To me that's weak. As a press member, you're not on the team and shouldn't allow them to set the parameters of what you cover or don't cover.

I was curious why Jimmy didn't posted anything recently (for a long time). Now I know.

It will be good if Nakia will back sometime...
    To TP or somewhere

People take sports journalism way too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    It's all semantics.

It seems like it is okay to say that Smith shouldn't cover this team, but you are a bad person if you are happy he is no longer writing about the team.

And no, I don't think 5 more will replace him. As I have been telling you guys for a while, he had an agenda. It was personal for him and he put his personal agenda over what was good for his readers. And before somebody misinterprets - I don't want sunshine pumpers. He was not bad because he questioned the team. He was bad because his facts were often wrong (sometimes on purpose) and he also tried to make opinions appear as facts.

Whatever, he is gone. I just don't understand why people are trying to make those of us who are glad he doesn't cover the team anymore seem like terrible human beings. Mechanic rips me off with some shady stuff - I hope he gets fired. Teacher doesn't put effort into his job and bullies kids - hope they get fired. And on and on.
    Yes, but when you go back to the mechanic shop, complain to the manager and get the mechanic fired ---- are you HAPPY? If you can watch someone pack up their things, and go home to tell their loved ones they have no income -- and actually be happy about this, or worse feel proud that you had something to do with this -- THEN STRAIGHT UP YOU ARE A BAD HUMAN BEING --- my opinion of course.

It is not a question of anyone getting fired. It is a question of are you EXCITED that someone can no longer provide for their family. You are a high-school basketball coach -- and your experience in the real business world is showing.

I have been forced to hire and fire hundreds and hundreds of people. It is easy to JUSTIFY the firing, because --- just like Jimmy Smith -- it is the EMPLOYEE'S ACTIONS that are getting them fired, not my decisions. However, it does not make it any easier.

Be happy that he is no longer writing for Pelicans fans. DO NOT REJOICE that he lost his job and source of income for his family.

To those of you who don't understand the difference. I really hope the show is never on the other foot.............................................. .......

[QUOTE=Bongzilla;1338665]Yes, but when you go back to the mechanic shop, complain to the manager and get the mechanic fired ---- are you HAPPY? If you can watch someone pack up their things, and go home to tell their loved ones they have no income -- and actually be happy about this, or worse feel proud that you had something to do with this -- THEN STRAIGHT UP YOU ARE A BAD HUMAN BEING --- my opinion of course.

It is not a question of anyone getting fired. It is a question of are you EXCITED that someone can no longer provide for their family. You are a high-school basketball coach -- and your experience in the real business world is showing.

I have been forced to hire and fire hundreds and hundreds of people. It is easy to JUSTIFY the firing, because --- just like Jimmy Smith -- it is the EMPLOYEE'S ACTIONS that are getting them fired, not my decisions. However, it does not make it any easier.

[U]Be happy that he is no longer writing for Pelicans fans. DO NOT REJOICE that he lost his job and source of income for his

MM is a high school basketball coach? Difficult for me to believe.

Can't believe the people who feel sorry for that clown losing his job. He got what he deserved, good riddance!

If i'd been working as badly as those people i would have been fired after my first month. Seriously, they've been lucky for a long time, i'm sure they'll get something else eventually. Not happy about people losing their jobs but man...if you can't do your freaking job you deserve to be sent packing, that's what the precious american capitalism is almost all about
    I'm old enough to remember when Smith got into it with the Saints a million years ago and got yanked from that beat (I vaguely recall it had something to do with a story blaming Coach Mora for Stan Brock getting a season-ending injury in practice, but that may be off). I'm of two minds about this. I thought Smith dished out some lazy hatchet pieces and passed it off as straight talk. But I worry about teams getting more and more control over the local coverage by denying access. I was talking recently to some of the tv guys who cover the Saints and getting on them about Payton dictating their coverage of injuries. They basically admitted that the coach gets so pissed about information getting out about injuries, they don't push the issue. To me that's weak. As a press member, you're not on the team and shouldn't allow them to set the parameters of what you cover or don't cover.
    I agree with that but that's how it works for many things unfortunately. Prime example? Any product that costs money and reviewers. Many reviewing sites get warned that if such and such product (i've read it happened with videogames/smartphones, i can't believe it's different with other things) gets a very low mark, they won't receive any more in the future/will get blocked out and such. Shouldn't be like that, but it really is anyway.
    Last edited by Kurgan; 09-18-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Smith may find another job very soon on the journalism field. Maybe working for one of localTV stations as a reporter or even working some Pels radio broadcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    Yes, but when you go back to the mechanic shop, complain to the manager and get the mechanic fired ---- are you HAPPY? If you can watch someone pack up their things, and go home to tell their loved ones they have no income -- and actually be happy about this, or worse feel proud that you had something to do with this -- THEN STRAIGHT UP YOU ARE A BAD HUMAN BEING --- my opinion of course.

Be happy that he is no longer writing for Pelicans fans. DO NOT REJOICE that he lost his job and source of income for his family.

To those of you who don't understand the difference. I really hope the show is never on the other foot.............................................. .......
    I have already addressed this. Jimmy has known for a while- we all have. He already has other stuff lined up and got a nice buyout from TP. His family is not starving. So don't be over dramatic and label people as bad human beings when you don't know the whole story. He will have income. Of course I would not be happy if a family went hungry. Any family.

But I am happy that Pels fans will not be subject to his writing. You gotta understand that the people on this board are the minority. Most Pels fans are very casual fans and for some of them the only thing they know to read is the TP, and their minds were being polluted.

Oh, and yes I am a coach but I had many jobs before that including starting and running two different businesses with dozens of employees.

Stick to what you know when you make your arguments. Thanks
    @mcnamara247

The really frustrating part is that the guy is a pretty good writer. Some of his articles about NOLA basketball in the past or really anything not about this era Pelicans was usually very well written and interesting. But when he wrote about current events it was just horrible. Facts were not factual. And the logic that used those facts was poor. Any critical comments you gave him were met with sarcastic "thanks for reading" comments instead of actually backing up his arguments. You could predict what the guy was going to write from a mile away because it was always the same thing.
    I honestly wouldn't mind reading his stuff on basically any other topic. But he was not fit for his job covering this team.
    Last edited by PhilJFry; 09-18-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by luigi modelo View Post
    He wasn't generating clicks. If he was generating clicks, then ANYONE can generate clicks. He will obviously generate clicks by default, considering that he was a Pelicans beat writer.
    I'd disagree. His comment sections were by far the biggest on anything Pels. Don't know if he wrote what he wrote for that reason or if had a real problem with Dell Demps.

Either way, he sucked. Every prognostication he had ended up proven wrong by a mile.

When I was a teacher, before I had tenure, I got the highest end of year review they had ever given a 1st year teacher at my school. I ranked higher than multiple other teachers who had tenure. I taught an elective. I was informed because of budget cuts they couldn't bring me back the following year.

If I had tenure, I would have been kept. Instead because I didn't they kept a worse teacher who did have it. I've been on the end of budget cuts and being fired even when you do a great job. Because of this I am even happier Jimmy Smith got fired.

He was bad at his job and deserved to be fired. Because of his firing, someone who actually deserved to keep working will keep working even in the face of budget cuts. If the option is keep Jimmy Smith and fire someone else or fire Jimmy and keep another person, I will choose firing Jimmy every time.

I slept fine last night.

But here's the rub, Jimmy is gone, hurrah, no more **** poor Pels coverage, but they are letting go 21% of the staff. They aren't bringing in anyone to take his place, they are going to stretch somebody's work load. Who knows, maybe we get the next guy getting the gig is the Bob Woodward or Carl Bernstein of Sports news, but from all accounts, they aren't bringing somebody to do his job. You will see Reid take more onto his plate, and then there is Andrew Lopez who takes on a whole slew of work. Besides that...So while Smith didn't give a take that you liked, up will come somebody who already has enough on their plate, for little to no extra pay. Good luck not getting equal to slightly better work than what you were getting.

And if you are saying Smith was let go because of poor work, explain Jeff Duncan's cockroach in a nuclear storm ability to keep his job. Do the Saints even give him credentials any more?

H
    Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post
    But here's the rub, Jimmy is gone, hurrah, no more **** poor Pels coverage, but they are letting go 21% of the staff. They aren't bringing in anyone to take his place, they are going to stretch somebody's work load. Who knows, maybe we get the next guy getting the gig is the Bob Woodward or Carl Bernstein of Sports news, but from all accounts, they aren't bringing somebody to do his job. You will see Reid take more onto his plate, and then there is Andrew Lopez who takes on a whole slew of work. Besides that...So while Smith didn't give a take that you liked, up will come somebody who already has enough on their plate, for little to no extra pay. Good luck not getting equal to slightly better work than what you were getting.

And if you are saying Smith was let go because of poor work, explain Jeff Duncan's cockroach in a nuclear storm ability to keep his job. Do the Saints even give him credentials any more?
    John Reid still employed with T.P. We also have the John Georges/Tom Benson run Advocate newspaper which has many former T.P writers. Advocate Sports covers the whole state. You don't see that in the T.P.
    Last edited by 4Real; 09-18-2015 at 01:58 PM.

Those people are free to choose whether they are working in acceptable conditions or not.

The Franchise    Contributor   

Good point UNO. Why does anybody assume that the TP coverage is going to get better? Maybe they hire somebody worse, maybe their hire nobody at all and overwork the few people they have left- and then their work suffers too. Maybe they hire somebody with a different agenda and we don't like their agenda either. Most likely they do whatever is the cheapest. I don't know that less coverage is better than the absence of bad coverage

The shots the writers at this site take at professional writers, even if they are bad and possibly deserve them, really turn me off. This is in effect a 4 page thread celebrating a 21% cut in a paper already down to the bone. Leave the pitchforks and torches to the posters. To use a football metaphor, act like you've been there.

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar

TP Lay-Offs... was Jimmy Smith 1?

This is a celebration thread of a guy who sucks getting the comeuppance from sucking

/thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    When I was a teacher, before I had tenure, I got the highest end of year review they had ever given a 1st year teacher at my school. I ranked higher than multiple other teachers who had tenure. I taught an elective. I was informed because of budget cuts they couldn't bring me back the following year.

If I had tenure, I would have been kept. Instead because I didn't they kept a worse teacher who did have it. I've been on the end of budget cuts and being fired even when you do a great job. Because of this I am even happier Jimmy Smith got fired.

He was bad at his job and deserved to be fired. Because of his firing, someone who actually deserved to keep working will keep working even in the face of budget cuts. If the option is keep Jimmy Smith and fire someone else or fire Jimmy and keep another person, I will choose firing Jimmy every time.

I slept fine last night.

Tenure is the worst thing ever created. It makes lazy teachers even lazier. That's unfortunate that you had to live that. Hopefully you found a better gig.
    I'm a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    BTW, for those pretending to care for Smith's livelihood, he already has other stuff lined up. He has known for a while. We all have. So don't worry about him
    Maybe u should read the Advocate's article about the TPSI layoffs. It seems to be opposite of your account.

Quote Originally Posted by tthier2 View Post
    Tenure is the worst thing ever created. It makes lazy teachers even lazier. That's unfortunate that you had to live that. Hopefully you found a better gig.
    I loved teaching, but I also love my life now too. I don't hold any hard feelings toward my school which was in a no win situation due to a ludicrous system and teacher's unions.

Yes some of the 21% were good writers who got laid off because of budget cuts. While some of the 21% were bad writers that were an easy cut for budget and replaceable by someone else they already have. I would guarantee that is not the case with Jimmy. We have arguably the most excitement a basketball team in Nola has ever had with more coverage being needed with a lot more exposure the team is now getting. No way they cut Smith if they thought he was a good writer and would have people continue to read is articles in the TP about the Pelicans. You don't cut someone that is bringing you $ when you are writing great stuff even with budget cuts because of that were the cause someone else would have been let go or they would have found a way to keep him. He was terrible at his job with lots of people wanting him gone along with the email campaign that no doubt had some factor into this decision. Do you really believe if you are the boss of some writers and you have the most passionate fans sending 100s of emails about how bad a writer is and you will not read as long as he is writing won't have impact on your decision on who to let go when some budget cuts are coming along? If they were getting emails about how great he was and people loving to read his articles I guarantee he would not be gone. Because you can keep repeating 21% were not all bad and let go has nothing to do with his particular case. He was a bad writer and people let them know how bad he was more than any writer for the TP I would bet. He is covering a very popular team on our area that is on the rise and they can't afford to lose thousands of readers because of his terrible articles.

Thread Information