Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TP Lay-Offs... was Jimmy Smith 1?

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! NOLa.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelMcNamara View Post
    I care about Pels fans more than Jimmy Smith and I won't pretend that I don't. The guy will be fine. But I won't pretend to care like others will. I care about Pels fans and they are better off w/o him than with him.

Answer this honestly: Wpuld you hire him back if it was up to you and you alone? If the answer is no, then logic says to stop the fake sympathy for him not writing for the Pels anymore. The PC crap is too much for me sometimes

I care about Pels fans, not Jimmy Smith.
    This is how I know you are petty. I didnt say he did or did not deserve it. I specifically said, and directed to you, that I couldn't believe there are people who celebrate someone losing a job. It's reflective on your personality and you try to spin this on whether or not he should be rehired.

Not faking sympathy and it's not a PC thing, it's just me calling you out for having no respect towards a person.

And when you all yell to Fire Monty or Get rid of Stiemsma, etc, is that not wanting a man to lose his job?

Stop the hypocrisy. If you are bad at your job, you should lose it.

I am not celebrating a man losing his job, I am celebrating Pels fans having way better coverage today than they did 5 years ago.
    @mcnamara247

Jimeert Freedet 4 Prez IamQuailman's Avatar
    I mean if today was a celebratory occasion, then why would you announce your self removal from the pels writing world? The fans dont deserve this punch to the gut

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

And when you all yell to Fire Monty or Get rid of Stiemsma, etc, is that not wanting a man to lose his job?

Stop the hypocrisy. If you are bad at your job, you should lose it.

I am not celebrating a man losing his job, I am celebrating Pels fans having way better coverage today than they did 5 years ago.
    "You all." All Pelicans fans are the same?

Quote Originally Posted by The JNR View Post
    It's not even just about his livelihood, it's not celebrating others' misfortune. Even if you're happy about it (and using it to ride off into the sunset), you don't have to thump your chest and act like you just put his scalp on your wall.
    I actually gave the credit to others, but whatever. I am happy and o won't apologize for it. Pels fans will be better off. I don't care how saying that makes me look.

"You all." All Pelicans fans are the same?
    Yes. Every single one of us have wanted someone released fired or traded. I can say with confidence every single one of us

Well best of luck in the future, Mac. I like your writing and your insight. I don't think this is a good look for you, but that's fine. Thanks for all the words you've written.

Quote Originally Posted by IamQuailman View Post
    I mean if today was a celebratory occasion, then why would you announce your self removal from the pels writing world? The fans dont deserve this punch to the gut

All I ever wanted was for Pelicans fans to have access to great knowledge. With Smith gone, Kush here, and 3 great blogs now, that is now available. Despite you think of knowing me so well, I don't want attention or glory. My long term goal has been to educate people so I never have to do this. And now you got people on this forum who know the CBA as well as I do. They can answer your questions - and nicer than me to boot.

I can now move on to spending my time selfishly

Well best of luck in the future, Mac. I like your writing and your insight. I don't think this is a good look for you, but that's fine. Thanks for all the words you've written.
    Appreciate it. Honestly, I do. As far as look- I care about what my mom, wife, and two dogs think about me. That's it.

Welcome to the New Economy

The notion that a bunch of bulletin board readers took down Jimmy Smith, especially as it apparently came in a wave of other lay-offs, is absurd.

After decades of union busting and deregulation in favor of so-called "job creators," this sort of thing is to be expected and is actually rampant in schools, hospitals, big media firms, etc. When you remove the societal controls that actually look out for real human beings, managers and stock holders whose primary concern is next quarter's bottom line aren't going to pick up the slack.

This sort of thing has been going on at the T-P ever since Advance Digital Media made the transition to the Sometimes Picayune and the click-bait engine that is Nola.com. There's a reason, for example, that the best pure writer I ever saw in the T-P's sports and outdoors department, the outstanding and long-tenured Bob Marshall, now works for New Orleans' only daily newspaper. And just take a look at who actually works for the T-P now: a bunch of fresh-faced journalism grads from the Northeast and West Coast that couldn't find a job in their markets and were snatched up by ADM because they were desperate, manipulable, and cheap. Seniority has become a perceived economic liability everywhere.

John Reid wasn't fired.

And it wasn't just us. The Pels won't talk to Smith- they played a bigger part. But our voices were heard and if they do employ another writer, they will get one who knows the game. And that comes directly from a top source over there. Specific emails did help inform one person over there that he didn't know the game. I will leave it at that

I can tell you that at least one of our writers was approached by the TP Why? Because they want people who know basketball and not hacks. And that's what he was.

You can't find his name in a thread prior to today where people weren't begging for him to be fired. Now he is and we act like we feel for him??

Sorry I can't fake it. I am not classy. Won't claim to be on this issue

Quote Originally Posted by boardtown View Post
    The notion that a bunch of bulletin board readers took down Jimmy Smith, especially as it apparently came in a wave of other lay-offs, is absurd.

After decades of union busting and deregulation in favor of so-called "job creators," this sort of thing is to be expected and is actually rampant in schools, hospitals, big media firms, etc. When you remove the societal controls that actually look out for real human beings, managers and stock holders whose primary concern is next quarter's bottom line aren't going to pick up the slack.

This sort of thing has been going on at the T-P ever since Advance Digital Media made the transition to the Sometimes Picayune and the click-bait engine that is Nola.com. There's a reason, for example, that the best pure writer I ever saw in the T-P's sports and outdoors department, the outstanding and long-tenured Bob Marshall, now works for New Orleans' only daily newspaper. And just take a look at who actually works for the T-P now: a bunch of fresh-faced journalism grads from the Northeast and West Coast that couldn't find a job in their markets and were snatched up by ADM because they were desperate, manipulable, and cheap. Seniority has become a perceived economic liability everywhere.
    From 1st hand knowledge, THIS.
    If you Jimmer it, they will come.

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

MM, are you really leaving us?

Did the Miller family pull you out of class and tell you that they wanted you in with the Jazz?

I can tell you that at least one of our writers was approached by the TP Why? Because they want people who know basketball and not hacks. And that's what he was.

You can't find his name in a thread prior to today where people weren't begging for him to be fired. Now he is and we act like we feel for him??

Sorry I can't fake it. I am not classy. Won't claim to be on this issue
    Serious question. With all of the turnover at TP, it really has presented new opportunities for blogs and independent writers to get their names out there and make their presence felt in the sports writing community. Writers will be scratching and clawing to be able to slap their name on a NOLA.com/Times Picayune article. The Times Picayune as provided many writers with the chance catapult their careers in a life-changing way. With all that said, it really only brings one question to mind that I think a lot of people want to ask you but might just be too shy to admit it.. is it true that you sit down to pee?

Serious question. With all of the turnover at TP, it really has presented new opportunities for blogs and independent writers to get their names out there and make their presence felt in the sports writing community. Writers will be scratching and clawing to be able to slap their name on a NOLA.com/Times Picayune article. The Times Picayune as provided many writers with the chance catapult their careers in a life-changing way. With all that said, it really only brings one question to mind that I think a lot of people want to ask you but might just be too shy to admit it.. is it true that you sit down to pee?

Speaking of blogs, did you ever see the movie "The Other Guys"? In the beginning of the movie they have all these reporters asking The Rock and SLJ these questions like "I'm so and so from the LA Times..." or "So and So from the Wall Street Journal...", and then this one guy gets up "I'm so and so, from the Washington Post....the online edition (or maybe blog)" and everyone blows him off. Its kind of funny how in such short time, blogging/ online news has gone from being looked down upon, to being equal to, if not better than conventional paper print.

Anyway, your post had me laughing.

John Reid wasn't fired.

And it wasn't just us. The Pels won't talk to Smith- they played a bigger part. But our voices were heard and if they do employ another writer, they will get one who knows the game. And that comes directly from a top source over there. Specific emails did help inform one person over there that he didn't know the game. I will leave it at that
    Sounds like the Pels wants a public relations person instead of a journalist covering the team like the Saints?
    MM, since this is your last day tell us your EG and Kaman stories..

Quote Originally Posted by UNO Gracias View Post

Speaking of blogs, did you ever see the movie "The Other Guys"? In the beginning of the movie they have all these reporters asking The Rock and SLJ these questions like "I'm so and so from the LA Times..." or "So and So from the Wall Street Journal...", and then this one guy gets up "I'm so and so, from the Washington Post....the online edition (or maybe blog)" and everyone blows him off. Its kind of funny how in such short time, blogging/ online news has gone from being looked down upon, to being equal to, if not better than conventional paper print.

Anyway, your post had me laughing.

Sometimes I do. Especially when I want to take a break for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    Sounds like the Pels wants a public relations person instead of a journalist covering the team like the Saints?
    Don't hold your breath.
    The most overused words on Pelicansreport.com. Wrongly, I might add.

ELITE - (often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

GREAT - notable; remarkable; exceptionally outstanding

These words should not be used lightly

Quote Originally Posted by UptownFuz504 View Post
    Don't hold your breath.
    there probably isnt a story...

Quote Originally Posted by durun View Post
    Um, the tweet clearly said the end of the year.

But yes, I will share then. Including some Jimmy stuff that shows you how terrible he was and how he blatantly and purposely lied in articles. Maybe that is why I am happier than most of you. If you knew what I did, not one of you would defend him. Not one

Slowly but surely this city is gaining a respectable pro basketball presence. Well hopefully if nola doesn't replace him with another hack for page clicks.

Now if only radio coverage would be better and fuller pre and post game, preseason games televised or online, and ALL regular season games shown. Those are the remaining check marks.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Slowly but surely this city is gaining a respectable pro basketball presence. Well hopefully if nola doesn't replace him with another hack for page clicks.

Now if only radio coverage would be better and fuller pre and post game, preseason games televised or online, and ALL regular season games shown. Those are the remaining check marks.
    according to the Sallerson tweet in my thread on the topic... the radio move to WRNO will include better pre & post game coverage

Thread Information