Pelicans Report

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pelicans going to West Virginia for training camp

Pass-First Point Center Caffeinedisastr's Avatar
    I agree.

Get them away from their families and any distractions to just think about basketball for a week.

If you have played sports and went to tournaments out of state then you know the experience. You're in a hotel with other players having fun, cracking jokes, watching stupid youtube videos, and making memories. You're around each other 24/7 (for the most part) and you can't get that experience in NOLA/your home town. It's the difference between having a friend that you work with and having a coworker.

"The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Wow. Only 5 days too. Nothing to really get bent out of shape after all.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...l#incart_river

The Greenbrier does not have a basketball facility on its property, so it's unclear where the Pelicans will conduct their on-court work. In their statement issued Saturday night, the Pelicans said times, dates and locations for practices will be released later. However, The Greenbrier has enough space to accommodate temporary courts.

''When Dell and I visited The Greenbrier last week, I was blown away by their first-class facilities, amenities and staff,'' said Gentry, who was hired in May to replace former coach Monty Williams.

''The Greenbrier provides all the accommodations we need to have a productive training camp and also gives our players a great opportunity to grow closer together off the court. We can't wait to bring our team there and get ready for the upcoming season.''

I like the idea of bringing us out of New Orleans to train. Imo, it makes sense to do this whenever there is a new coach, because
    A. Better team chemistry
    And B. They can't have distractions when they have a new coach, because imo the most important thing is that they start learning how to run certain plays, more specifically, how Davis will fit into these plays

When I played football we would go to camp out of state for a week. Even though I practiced and hung out with guys at home it was nothing like getting away for that week. You can't go home and the time spent away brings you closer to coaches with them becoming friends also. The relationships you develop with teammates also is unlike anything you get from practicing at home for a few hours and going home. Camp was absolutely brutal but easily the best times I ever had and to me one of the most inportant things we did as a team for our success. No distractions except becoming better friends and teammates while spending and thinking about nothing but the sport you are playing. I think this is awesome for the Pelicans and one thing is a fact it definitely can't hurt. If you can't understand why then you obviously have never been a part of a team and been away for something like this to understand the benefits and what it does.

Thread Information