Pelicans Report

Thread: Dante Cunningham looking forward to rejoining Pelicans teammates next season

Pelicans Dante Cunningham looking forward to rejoining Pelicans teammates next season

Going 25-16 is nothing to sneeze at... I hope this group can stay healthy because they can be something special. So glad Dante is back in the fold.

“At the end of last year, I think we all kind of felt that we built something and we started something,” Cunningham explained. “We all wanted to get back, start again and see what this team and this unit can do. That’s what we’re all thinking: Even through the injuries and what we had to overcome, if we have the guys we played with for a whole year (in 2015-16), and can go through a training camp with them, more than half of the games we lost were because we didn’t know what to do at the end of the game, or maybe we should’ve done this instead of that. With little things like that, teams that have been together know what to do at certain times. We could’ve eliminated a lot of those (losses) and been in an even better situation come playoff time. So I think we’re definitely all on that same page and all wanting to get back to see what we can do.”
    http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/dan...es-next-season

“I’ve been focusing on staying in tip-top condition,” said Cunningham, who’s also spending time practicing corner three-point shots.
    PRAISE

If Dante can hit the corner 3 he will be so much more playable. It really doesn't make sense for him not to shoot that shot and I can't believe other coaches haven't stressed for him to practice it. For his career, over half of his shots have been two pointers over 16 feet away from the basket. Last year he shot 42.6% on those shots. If he steps back into the corner he'd only have to hit at 28.4% to match the efficiency. Seems like an obvious adjustment.

"more than half of the games we lost were because we didn’t know what to do at the end of the game, or maybe we should’ve done this instead of that."

I think this is big, I won't put it against players or Monty as Pels have to deal with millions different line up, continuity should do wonder to this team. I felt that we are one power rebounder away from being a top team.

he also said something about davis wanting to be like tim duncan, loyalty wise.

Banned
    Reke wouldn't do what he is supposed to.

I like Cunningham I think our closing lineup is with him Jrue, Davis and Gordon with the the other guy varying.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceWithDavis View Post
    he also said something about davis wanting to be like tim duncan, loyalty wise.
    Where?

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Where?
    It was the wrong link I was talking about. Someone in the Pelicans organization said it I just can't find the link for some reason

Edit: nvm, it's here http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20...ORTS/150739997
    Last edited by DanceWithDavis; 07-31-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceWithDavis View Post
    It was the wrong link I was talking about. Someone in the Pelicans organization said it I just can't find the link for some reason

Edit: nvm, it's here http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20...ORTS/150739997
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUSSIE_PELICAN View Post
    Thanks
    Also called us a potential top 4 seed

Quote Originally Posted by PhilJFry View Post
    If Dante can hit the corner 3 he will be so much more playable. It really doesn't make sense for him not to shoot that shot and I can't believe other coaches haven't stressed for him to practice it. For his career, over half of his shots have been two pointers over 16 feet away from the basket. Last year he shot 42.6% on those shots. If he steps back into the corner he'd only have to hit at 28.4% to match the efficiency. Seems like an obvious adjustment.
    Yep, exactly. We need him to be able to consistently hit that corner 3.

Banned
    I want him to be a Bowen type. Give us some toughness. He can fill that role, not dirty but meaner.

Cunningham will be even more of a pleasant surprise this season than he was last. Davis and others trust him to be in the right places at right times and know he will share the ball, defend like hell and take no crap from anyone. His basketball instinct, a trait not always existent in some others, is superlative. He will earn his $2.9M salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteptooslow View Post
    I want him to be a Bowen type. Give us some toughness. He can fill that role, not dirty but meaner.
    Bruce Bowen without the dirtiness would be incredible. And if he can extend his game to the 3 point line like some of those 3 and D Spurs did he very well could be.

Quote Originally Posted by N.O.Bronco View Post
    Bruce Bowen without the dirtiness would be incredible. And if he can extend his game to the 3 point line like some of those 3 and D Spurs did he very well could be.
    Y'all need to remember that Bowen was the consensus #1 defender in the league. Cunningham isn't even close to that status so let's curb our excitement just a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    Y'all need to remember that Bowen was the consensus #1 defender in the league. Cunningham isn't even close to that status so let's curb our excitement just a bit
    Im more referring to the role and mindset. Not so much expecting him to match his output.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Going 25-16 is nothing to sneeze at... I hope this group can stay healthy because they can be something special. So glad Dante is back in the fold.

http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/dan...es-next-season
    This is awesome to hear. They look like they can be the deep team they were last season, when they were winning games(5 or 6 in a row), with starters injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmide234 View Post
    PRAISE
    He spent his whole career so far NOT practicing threes?

Thread Information