Pelicans Report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pelicans going to West Virginia for training camp

Pelicans Pelicans going to West Virginia for training camp

Sounds like the Pels will be going to West Virginia for training camp. As you may know Gentry and Demps have been sighted at the Saints practices.

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.s...l#incart_river

he New Orleans Pelicans will soon announce their decision to conduct this year's training camp at or near the Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, W.Va., according to a source with knowledge of the team's plans.

The official announcement should be forthcoming in the near future, the source said.

Additionally, the Pelicans may hold informal, voluntary group workouts in Los Angeles prior to the commencement of training camp.

Pelicans head coach Alvin Gentry and general manager Dell Demps visited the Greenbrier last week where the New Orleans Saints are currently holding training camp for the second consecutive year.

Gentry and Demps toured the Greenbrier facility last Friday with Mickey Loomis, the Pelicans' basketball operations chief and Saints general manager, and Saints and Pelicans owner Tom Benson.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!!
    Why...

so let's discuss this nice, new, state of the art training facility in Metairie
    "The pelican is fearsome. Take a raven, for example: it's omnivorous. It eats bugs, and seeds, and fruit, and carrion. Compared to the well-rounded citizen that is the raven, the pelican is the serial killer of birds." - Barry Petchesky, Deadspin

Look at it this way if we are going to build a bigger fanbase this maybe a good start. Also running it like a first class resort like organization could lure some KEY FREE AGENTS in the future.

They don't have a basketball court at Greenbrier - I guess they are going to build a temporary one in the the indoor training area Benson built for the saints? I would imagine the home facility is much better, and the only reason the Saints go out there is to escape the heat. Im scratching my head on this?

Duncan says Los Angeles an option too

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...elated_stories

Anyway here is a photo courtesy nola.com of Gentry hanging out with the cool people

Quote Originally Posted by NMThreeMVP View Post
    Why...
    I'm with you. I don't see the need (or the lure for a place like Greenbriar). NBA players do not have to avoid the heat or weather. I understand a potential camaraderie experience, but as much as these guys spend with each other on the road anyway, I do not see a huge need there.

Pistol Pete Would Be Proud!! kinglio21093's Avatar
    That practice facility is getting put to good use!

Training Camp is like a week long. And (if I understand correctly) the Greenbrier is privately owned so the Pelicans would just sign a contract to use whatever facility they build for a certain time period and not actually fund the building themselves.
    Seems like a non-story to me. Can't believe people get so up in arms about this crap.

Practice at home. If its too hot (in the Saints case) practice indoors on the turf you'll be playing on.
    Pels situation makes even less sense... you have a "brand new state of the art facility" why go outta town? Don't give me "team-building" as an answer as that can be done just as easily at home.
    How much money do the Saints (and soon to be Pels) spend/invest in practicing out of state? Couldn't that money be better spent at home in NOLA?

Pelicans going to West Virginia for training camp

And why do some of you really care that much? Whatever they feel they need to do is okay so why is it a monumental deal some of you are making it out to be?
    Last edited by notime; 08-12-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Well I scrolled down to read what stupid comments that Jimmy's people had posted and I did come across this from Jeff Duncan

Jeff Duncan, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
    16 minutes ago

A local journalist informed me that the Greenbrier East HS gym is top-notch, as close to pro/college caliber as any around. That's where Greenbrier owner JIm Justice coaches the girls and boys varsity teams. So that might just be where the Pels hold camp.

Quote Originally Posted by notime View Post
    And why do some of you really care that much? Whatever they feel they need to do is okay so why is it a monumental deal some of you are making it out to be?
    I don't think anyone here feels its a "monumental deal". This is an internet forum, when people read something they may think is "dumb" they are going to comment on it. Using your logic, why do you care that people care? lol

It's the off season.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You hold training camp in a remote location to get away from distractions and the team can become even closer. They won't be able to go "home" they'll have to hang with each other. The practice facility in Metaire will get used year-round, but there's no problem getting away for training camp. I love the idea.

Did no one watch the special on the Dream Team the other day? They practiced in Monte Carlo for a week and it was the best team building exercise they did.

It forced players to hang out with each other. It allowed players and coaches to bond.

I'm sure this also builds bases of fans outside of our market which will help us get more nationally televised games. It's also very progressive and probably helps entice other players too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythrol View Post
    Did no one watch the special on the Dream Team the other day? They practiced in Monte Carlo for a week and it was the best team building exercise they did.

It forced players to hang out with each other. It allowed players and coaches to bond.

I'm sure this also builds bases of fans outside of our market which will help us get more nationally televised games. It's also very progressive and probably helps entice other players too.
    Touché Salesman

I heard it'll be next year because the Greenbrier have to build a Basketball facility.

How long is "training camp"? One week? Two?

It's pretty simple.....

It's called team building and chemistry.

When you don't leave town, everyone goes home every night. When you go away, everyone stays in the hotel/resort ------ meaning, everyone spends the entire week together. Eating dinner together, playing cards, video games, --- whatever these guys do.

It's a little escape and it makes perfect sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongzilla View Post
    It's pretty simple.....

It's called team building and chemistry.

When you don't leave town, everyone goes home every night. When you go away, everyone stays in the hotel/resort ------ meaning, everyone spends the entire week together. Eating dinner together, playing cards, video games, --- whatever these guys do.

It's a little escape and it makes perfect sense to me.
    Yup!

Saint Pelican of Mile High Contributor DefensiveMind's Avatar
    I was watching the USA Team Practice and they interviewed Steph Curry. He was talking about one of the cool things about the USA Team experience was how he got to know his teammate Klay Thompson better. He said the bonding he felt like made them a better backcourt. This is an MVP talking about his Allstar sidekick and noting the importance of being around each other in non traditional settings. I think that should sum it up.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by notime View Post
    Why do people on here have to be so high and mighty all the time? No one made it a big deal out of this at all but thanks for the letting the rest of us know just smart you are

But Why ?
    We are happy to help.
    The best outsourced hosting support services.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    You hold training camp in a remote location to get away from distractions and the team can become even closer. They won't be able to go "home" they'll have to hang with each other. The practice facility in Metaire will get used year-round, but there's no problem getting away for training camp. I love the idea.
    I agree with this. It's not like the practice facility will get rusty or something. It will get plenty of use. If the staff believe getting away as a team will improve chemistry than that's probably the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by DroopyDawg View Post
    Exactly...Makes me wonder what those who can't see this actually know about sports and team camaraderie...

Thread Information